PDA

View Full Version : Family thinks black is too harsh on me, is it?

JellyBene
May 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
My family keeps telling me black hair is way too harsh on me and that it doesn't look right on my skin tone. I am seeking honest opinions about this because family cannot give an unbiased opinion. I am notthe type of person who likes to look edgy/goth and I don't want my hair to look that way. So what do you think my TLHC friends? Please be honest as it will not hurt my feelings :)

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/downsized_0503121831a.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/Picture036.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/559892_3693005044919_1269074019_3466439_1933637034 _n.jpg

miss_rv
May 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Your hair looks lovely and healthy. What is your natural colour?

cheetahfast
May 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
It looks nice!!!!

stkl
I think you are a very pretty girl :), but I do think the colour is too harsh. I think very very few people can pull off dyed black hair.

JellyBene
woops double post ;)

Ndayeni
I think it looks very nice on you. I probably wouldn't guess it wasn't your natural color if you hadn't said, for it doesn't look harsh or unnatural on you to me.

JellyBene
May 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Your hair looks lovely and healthy. What is your natural colour?
it is naturally a light brown/dark blonde

DarkCurls
May 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I think it looks lovely. Family is probably more used to seeing your natural hair. The change probably seems strange to them, but having never seen you before, I don't find it harsh.

sisi33
May 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I like it! But, if you really wanted to compromise with the family, I would go a DARK brown, maybe with a couple of hi-lights- not blonde ones, just slightly lighter ones. But, personally, I like the black on you! In the light, it really makes your eyes pop! :D

Curly Hermione
May 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think you look really pretty in all the photos, and in my opinion the black does not look harsh. I think you can pull it off!

Charybdis
May 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
To me it seems a little harsh, but not to the point where I'd think, "Gosh, that just does NOT look good on her." I think a medium dark brown with warmer tones could look better, though. You have beautiful skin, and your makeup looks great in the second picture; I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some warm tones there.

MissManda
May 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
To me it seems a little harsh, but not to the point where I'd think, "Gosh, that just does NOT look good on her." I think a medium dark brown with warmer tones could look better, though. You have beautiful skin, and your makeup looks great in the second picture; I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some warm tones there.

My thoughts exactly. :)

Henrietta
May 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'd say your family is probably used to your previous haircolour and that's why black seems too harsh. I, seeing you only in black, can say it suits you perfectly. Looks like your natural haircolour! It's especially visible on the second picture, with your eyes and eyebrows which match ideally.

natt i nord
May 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
In my opinion the color looks a bit "wrong" in the last picture, meaning it's a bit too dark. In the first photo however I think it perfectly suits you - and because of that I second the dark brown thing. :)

numbernine
May 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I think it looks great on you

leslissocool
May 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM
It's a big contrast, and since you have the coloring associated with "goth" that's what your family thinks. I get that all the time: "why are you so pale now? Why do you wear that?" or my most recent "you're turning into a vampire" comment. But I love black, and I love metal and industrial and Goth music. So I fit the stereotype, although I do love to use self tanners that make my skin glow.

Honestly I find it beautiful, and I think it looks good on you. It definitively makes you eyes pop.

ravenheather
May 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I think it looks good. If you decide you want to soften it a bit you could go dark brown or even brown/black.

PolarCathy
May 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
To me, the last pic looks quite "off". The first one is very OK though.

I too think that black is a "dangerous" color.

I *very much* dislike Goth appearance, on people who have light eyebrows and yet they color their hair black, so I understand your concern. You don't look "Goth" to me though.

dwell_in_safety
May 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I think the black is a little harsh, but not enough to be jarring. You don't look like you're going for the edgy look, certainly. Maybe try a chocolate brown with some nice warm tones?

henné
May 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I think you would look better with dark brown instead of black, but the black looks pretty anyway! Actually, as long as you put on some eye make-up (liner, mascara), you look GREAT with the black, but make-up less it looks a little too harsh on you. You are very pretty and very young, so you can pull off pretty much anything, so if this is a color you enjoy, then keep it and sometime down the road when you're bored with it, try dark brown ... :) I can't even imagine you as a dark blonde :o

MintChocChip
May 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I think it looks amazing! I don't think the colour's too harsh at all, in fact I think it makes your eyes and your flawless skin really stand out. You look very pretty with it! I would never have guessed it wasn't your natural colour.

Tota
May 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I think it looks great, I just love the pale skin in combination with dark hair. But honestly, I think you would look even better with dark brown hair - while still having the contrast, it would look more natural and youthful.

jaine
May 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I think that anything from dark blonde to very dark brown could look like it was your natural color (if that's what you want - not everyone wants their hair to look like it's their natural color!)

Black does make it obvious that it's dyed - but I think that's true of most people though. My hair is so close to black that some people accidentally call it black - and even mine looked obviously dyed when I dyed it black.

getoffmyskittle
May 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
It's really pretty but it does look unnatural and slightly harsh to me (although in my eyes those are not bad things). If you want a softer look, a rich dark brown would be fantastic and would probably look totally natural.

Nedertane
May 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
In my opinion, it's hard to tell. It looks great in the second photo, but a litte harsh in the other two. Hope this helps. :)

oktobergoud
May 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Mmm I don't know.. I like it but in the last picture it does wash you out. I feel it's just a tad too harsh, like a dark dark brown would be a lot warmer? You can certainly rock a dark colour but I feel like black hair can not look natural on anyone who wasn't born with it.

I had black hair for years and loved it though!! Later friends told me to never dye it black again and I guess I do understand now.. But if you love it, keep it :)

jaine
May 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
The reason it looks better in the second photo is because the light reflecting off your hair is warmer in that one. And your skin tone is warm too, so it looks more natural together.
The light reflecting off your hair is much cooler in the 1st and 3rd pictures.

red-again
May 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
i would say just tweaking it a bit to a dark warm brown would look very natural and still definate enough of a colou for you. Black is a hard colour to carry off, mine is naturally blackish, but it is a warm black with red undertones. I have to dye now though because my greys show on the non greys very obviously. I use henna and indigo to get a darkest brown black but it is still warm. Maybe you could try henna and indigo but use colour b4 first to remove some of the black and then either henna/indigo or bx dye dark warm brown.
You do look stunning though and for dyed black hair, it is in amazing condition.

heidi w.
May 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
The biggest problem people have when coloring their hair is they try to save money by doing it themselves, and so many boxed or bottle colors do not have enough "depth" in the formula. Real human hair has undertones and overtones, that is, areas of darker hues, and areas of lighter hues. What your family is most likely picking up on is that this color that's been applied lacks the range of lowlights and highlights that human hair in its more natural condition presents. I am a general blonde, although now heading more into light brunette. I do still have some blonde strands, a few graying strands, and a wide variety of hues all over my head of hair. When you next color, this is something to keep in mind.

Most people do not look good in applied black color, too. Most skin tones do not respond well to black. Black can be a bit stark; somewhat too high of a contrast to lighter complexions. Black can also bring out unpleasant undertones to skin such as yellowiness or blue-i-ness undertones....

Professional colorists with experience can discuss this with you. You might consider talking to a licensed, experienced, professional colorist.

I don't think you look bad, but the final photo of you in profile where you're looking out to the middle distance kind of brings to light what your family may be trying to say. I can see in the middle photo that you're more likely a brunette, and you have beautiful eyes and brown eyebrows. I am betting that your natural color, if left untouched, in time, can become a true crowning glory. And the one time I colored my hair, I also colored my eyebrows.

Just things to perhaps keep in mind. My opinion otherwise doesn't matter much. It doesn't look ugly or awful or bad. But I can kind of see what your family is trying to say, but doesn't know how to quantify. Flat black color is not the best color for most people. You may need more range of hue in the hair, and their eye might be picking up on this difference. That's what I suspect they're seeing and don't know how to say it. Again, though, that's just my opinion, so you can ignore me if you like.

heidi w.

lapushka
May 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Honestly, it looks okay, except yes in the last picture it does look kinda harsh. As far as the other two pictures, if I didn't know this was not your hair color, I would not have guessed.

PolarCathy
May 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM
i would say just tweaking it a bit to a dark warm brown would look very natural and still definate enough of a colou for you. Black is a hard colour to carry off, mine is naturally blackish, but it is a warm black with red undertones. I have to dye now though because my greys show on the non greys very obviously. I use henna and indigo to get a darkest brown black but it is still warm. Maybe you could try henna and indigo but use colour b4 first to remove some of the black and then either henna/indigo or bx dye dark warm brown.
You do look stunning though and for dyed black hair, it is in amazing condition.

That color is indigo if I recall correctly.

Vampyria
May 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I think it looks great, I just love the pale skin in combination with dark hair. But honestly, I think you would look even better with dark brown hair - while still having the contrast, it would look more natural and youthful.

I agree with that.

jaine
May 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
That color is indigo if I recall correctly.

If it is indigo then it will probably fade a little bit on its own to a dark reddish brown ... that's what happened to me.

spidermom
May 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Black wouldn't be my first choice for you, but I think it looks pretty good.

pink.sara
May 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I think it's pretty on you. And it doesn't look like a flat chemical black to me.... Is it a semi or indigo?

I don't think you look harsh or gothic either... Although I used blue black for years to get that edgy rockabilly look so I'm a bit biased ;)

maborosi
May 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hmm- it definitely doesn't look bad. I can see some contrast, though with a straight black color when you're standing in natural lighting.

I'd say you might look really amazing if you opt for a warmer "soft black" color rather than true or jet-black (blue/cool black). I used to have dark hair, which was actually a warm, soft black color. The true blue-black contrasted far too much with my skintone and made it look weird. Not necessarily pale - the dark color did make me look paler, but it looked good. With blue-black, it somehow just made my skin color look weird, I guess.

Here's a picture of soft-black hair I had in indoor lighting:

http://i50.tinypic.com/azdkzo.jpg

It looked pretty good on me, I think. Most people are actually kinda surprised that my hair is naturally a lightish blonde. It still looked black without looking weird on me.

Hope this helps you! :D

~maborosi~

Alex Lou
May 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM
The 3rd photo really says, "I dye my hair black." It's a nice color on you but does not look natural because there are no highlights or low lights that I can see, just one flat color. I think that it will also look awkward when you have light roots.

thirstylocks
May 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
When I dyed my hair black, my family had the same complaint. And looking back, I looked really washed out and terrible. It looked like I was wearing a wig - my hair didn't take it well.

I think it looks nothing like that on you - your hair looks really healthy and it doesn't clash with your skin tone at all. I think it looks really pretty.

Iolanthe13
May 27th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I agree with those who suggested a dark brown. The black does bring out your pretty eyes, but I think dark brown would do that AND play up your skin tone :) Plus, the roots might be less obvious when they come in!

Quixii
May 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I like, never having seen you before. Though to be honest, I think really rich dark brown might look a tad better, just because your skin looks so warm and friendly, like it wants a partner that's a little warmer. ...that didn't make sense.

PorkChop
May 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I think you can get away with it!

Apriori
May 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
The black doesn't look bad but I think a dark brown would suit you better :)

elbow chic
May 27th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Hm, I might have to dissent here and say it does look too harsh for your skintone, imo. A dark brown wouldn't be so obviously dyed/"edgy" and might give you the contrast you want.

MaryMarx
May 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I think it suits you very well, you're really pretty. :)

browneyedsusan
It might be a little harsh, but you look fine with it. (It isn't unnatural looking, especially with your makeup done.) Still, If you're looking to change it, I would consider brown--chocolate or chesnut? I think that might suit you and your family.

jacqueline101
I think its nice.

Wavelength
May 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM
The black isn't terrible, but personally I think a deep warm chocolate brown would look fantastic on you. It would bring out your eyes even more. :)

Micayla47
May 27th, 2012, 03:36 PM
i love the color on you. if you keep the makeup soft, you don't look edgy/goth. you are young and have good skin and a beautiful face, so i'm sure you would look good with ANY color. so you might as well have the color YOU like. you have plenty of time to change your mind and try other colors.

Issmene
May 27th, 2012, 03:37 PM
On some people it does indeed look too harsh, but I like it on you. It also looks good with your eyes :)

Dizzy_zzz
May 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I'd thought that was your natural colour! It suits you very well, in any case.

terpentyna
May 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM

I think the same.

Copasetic
May 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I think it looks great. I actually think dark brown/black hair looks lovely on fair skinned people. It's very Snow White :)

Arashi
May 27th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I think black looks really cute on you! But, having dyed my hair black for years myself, I can understand how it looks too harsh/edgy sometimes. I used to dye it the darkest shade of black available and while I loved it most of the time, in certain lights and such it did look like I had dipped my hair in shoe polish or something of that sort.

So, this year I've been gradually turning my color to a warm black-brown. I only ever dye my roots(never the length) with conventional dye, so I've been dying my roots with a mix of dark chestnut brown and soft black and between that applying henna all over to encourage warm tones. I'm at the point that the black on my length has faded enough to show enough of the henna that my hair looks like a soft warm black in some lights and super dark brown in other lights. It's still "black"- anyone who met me would describe my hair as black- but a much softer, natural looking black that looks like it could be actually growing out of my head.

I see on your profile you use henndigo for black- maybe if you want to do something similar, you can gradually do a mixture of a bit more henna and a bit less indigo for a softer color? Of course, if you love your color as it is now, don't change it just because of your family!

TeaGarden
May 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I think the black looks wonderful! :)
If you're still feeling iffy about it, try going a very dark brown.

KwaveT
May 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I think it looks good on you. I am one of those that think that others tend to like how you look when they first seen you. When you make any major change, they don't like it then. I am getting that a lot with my longer hair. Those that have never seen me with short hair like my hair, but my family and many others just keep reminding me that the longer hair doesn't look good on me to them. I think your family tends to be naturally biased.

NymphSpirit
May 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Ahh... in my opinion it does look harsh. A colour a bit more chocolate-ish would look less harsh and still be dark enough if you fancy dark hair colours (what is pretty much what almost everyone said before me haha). But in the end only what you think matters :)

OUKess
May 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
No looks Good!!!!

beachgirlla
May 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
How are you getting the black color? box dye? why did you want a black?
To me if I were you (have this beautiful hair :), I will concentrate on how to bring out the beauty out the beauty of the eyes and facial features, your black hair is beautiful on you but you could look 20 times better with some warmer reddish medium to dark brown hair, the blackness in your hair is somehow taking away a little of the attractiveness in your eyes and face, you still young but by the time you hit 30-35 this hair color will age you like at least 10 years.
I can see why your family think this way, I can see your eyes will pop with some brown and may be reddish undertone with henna?, LOL

DoubleCrowned
May 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think the black is way too harsh. It overpowers your eyes and fades your skin in an unhealthy looking way. You have unusually beautiful natural coloring (oh, those eyes!), which I think you should play up.

Indigostreams
May 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think it looks great and natural.

Amber_Maiden
May 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I like the black on you! Not harsh at all. Actually it looks natural!

BrightEyes
May 27th, 2012, 04:46 PM
The black looks very nice on you. But I also think you would look very pretty with dark brown too, it would bring out your beautiful eyes:)

manderly
May 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I agree with your family. Black is too stark and cool on you. A deep chocolate brown would be much more flattering IMHO.

Lissandria
May 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I really like it and think you can definitely pull it off. I love it actually! I would never guess that your natural hair colour was light! I think indigo black has more depth and different tones (henna and indigo being translucent dyes) than chemical black- and I can really see a little depth in this colour. If you did ever want to go to a darker brown/ warm black there are ways you could lighten your indigo. For now though I think you look great :flower:

jeanniet
May 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I think a warm dark brown would look more natural and agree with your skin tone more, but IMO few people can really carry a true black well. I'm half Indian and I can't do it--most people think my hair is black, but it's a very deep brown. Black doesn't look good on me at all, even though it's not a whole lot different from my natural color!

Emmental
May 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
In my opinion the color looks a bit "wrong" in the last picture, meaning it's a bit too dark. In the first photo however I think it perfectly suits you....

I agree!

I love it in the first picture, but it seems somewhat unnatural in the last photo. I don't think it looks bad, just different. I know it could very well be just the lighting changes. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Neon Gloss
May 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I think it looks great!!

AspenSong
May 27th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I ditto most of the comments before me...
I think it looks fine really...but more harsh in the last photo. I think a deep brown would give you the darkness, but compliment you even better than the black, IMO. :)
Still pretty in black though!

GoblinTart
May 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I think it looks lovely. Family is probably more used to seeing your natural hair. The change probably seems strange to them, but having never seen you before, I don't find it harsh.

What she said!
It might just be the drastic change for them.

seven77
May 27th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I think you look stunning!
My Mother has always told me too that I look harsh with black hair.

letibear
May 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I think it looks nice, I wouldn't say it is "way too harsh", but I do agree with the others who said that a deep brown would be more flattering for you.

If you like it, that's all that matters. Do what makes you happy :)

SurferB
May 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I think it may be a little "harsh". It's not your natural color, correct? You skin looks like a brown warm color with blonde highlights would look beautiful with your skin!! That's what I would do if I were you (:

californiagirl
May 27th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I think the color looks fine, but in the third photo, it definitely does look to harsh. Just like many others have said, I would go for a dark, dark brown. I think that color would look great on you, and your family probably would stop saying stuff about it!

MiamiPineapple
May 27th, 2012, 08:59 PM
OH MAN do I know what you mean. First of all let me start off by saying you look GORGOUS with black hair. Second of all, my family also told me this (mostly my mom all the time for years). Eventhough I loved my black hair, I listened to her (worst mistake ever) and got the black stripped from my hair. Needless to say, it was destroyed so badly I had to cut it from waist to shoulder and I am still growing out the damage a year and a half later.

You should leave your hair whatever color makes you happy. If that is black, leave it black. Remeber, black is VERY VERY hard to remove and doing so WILL damage your hair. I think you look great. Don't make the same mistake I did...

panffle
May 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I think it looks really nice on you! But, if you think it's too dark, just give it some weeks and the dye will fade a bit.

Darkessa
May 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I love the black. I dont think its harsh at all actually...
My family is saying the same thing with my hair right now, well... Primarily my blonde mother and white haired grandmother. Haha

Although I usually prefer darker colors on most people. In my opinion very few people can look truly beautiful with really light or red hair.

xoxophelia
May 27th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Honestly, I thought it was natural. I also had black hair for awhile and had people comment that they thought it was my natural hair color. My eyebrows are naturally fairly dark and I would tint them slightly darker. If yours are more brown in color, you could try darkening them with a powder one shade and see if that makes it look more natural (and if it does, you can tint your brows).

natural_shine
May 27th, 2012, 10:27 PM
My family keeps telling me black hair is way too harsh on me and that it doesn't look right on my skin tone. I am seeking honest opinions about this because family cannot give an unbiased opinion. I am notthe type of person who likes to look edgy/goth and I don't want my hair to look that way. So what do you think my TLHC friends? Please be honest as it will not hurt my feelings :)

I have pale skin and same eye colour as you, I've been thru this too few years ago. Yes, it is too harsh, cause you will need strong makeup to fit all the time and you will look a bit like Morticia Adams at times... so- people close to you see things quite clear and they are right. But there is a good side to this- men really preffer this look, and I bet you always get compliments about it from them.It's more sexy, though maybe not the most comfortable for you.
I'm actually thinking if I should dye it back black or not... I like my natural colour, but when I remember how many compliments I got when I had black long hair... uhm... makes me wanna reconssider.

JellyBene
May 27th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! It seems like the consensus is MOSTLY that a dark brown would be a bit better. I'm gonna color-oops it and see if I can fade it to a brown. If not, I can always go back to black!

McFearless
May 27th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Is color oops damaging? Your hair looks really healthy, it would suck to damage it because of a difference in opinion. Prior to those comments did you prefer it black? That is all that matters :) But if not, depending on the dye you used, or if it is indigo you could possibly trying pulling out the color with other methods.

icallitbliss
May 27th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I think it looks great! You're super gorgeous. I've always been a fan of pale/black hair combinations. I mean, Katy Perry and Snow White pull it off pretty well. :P

longhairedlady
May 28th, 2012, 02:00 AM
I think its beautiful! Not harsh at all! :D

zombi
May 28th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I don't think it's harsh, I think it looks pretty.

AndreaPetrea
I think you are very beautiful, but I have to admit that I remember seeing your pictures and thinking that another color would look better on you :o The second pic you posted looks very good, though.

Altariel
I totally love it! you look gorgeus :)

Bunnysaur
May 28th, 2012, 02:25 AM
I think that the black is done well and looks like a "natural" black, as opposed to a super stark, unnatural drugstore black, but it is a little harsh for you. I'd say a dark dark brown with warmer tones would be awesome for your skin tone.

Louise148
May 28th, 2012, 02:49 AM
I love the black and think it looks beautiful. But ultimately it's what you think when you look in the mirror that really counts.

Lou x

MissAlida
May 28th, 2012, 03:44 AM
You can make the black work, but I would really like to see how an auburn would suite you. It would be less harsh. But going lighter is not that easy.

MonaMayfair
May 28th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Do post a picture if you do the color oops!
I think a warmer dark brown would look lovely on you, but I also think you can totally pull off the black, which a lot of people can't. You look gorgeous with black hair!

pepperminttea
May 28th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Sorry, I have to agree, the black looks too harsh to me as well. I love the fringe on you though, it really suits you. :)

newbeginning
May 28th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I think it looks natural to be honest. I don't think it washes you out or anything and it really suits your skin tone.

Emme76
May 28th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I like it! My first thought was that you look like snowwhite. :) Very pretty!

If YOU like it then I think you should stick to the color. I don´t think it looks to dark or unnatural.

Octave
May 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM
At first sight I would have thought it was your natural hair colour. Suits you really well! As others have mentioned, they probably just need to get used to it. :)

Annibelle
May 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I think it looks FABULOUS in the first two pictures, but it does look a bit harsh in the last.

I think a great color for you would be just a tad more brown than black. Think of the richest, darkest brown... which will look black in a lot of light, but instead of looking bluish blackish in bright sunlight, it will give that rich brown tone. It could still look black indoors, which I think would look nice on you, but would look a bit more natural on you in the sunlight. :)

1nuitblanche
May 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM
The black hair looks ok on you. However, I do think that a deep brown would suit you better than the black is if you want to stay dark.

Firefly
May 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Harsh--no. Striking--yes! I think it looks great. I hope you don't wind up doing the color-oops; it's very damaging and the color will fade on its own anyway.

Atira
May 28th, 2012, 07:46 AM
You are a gorgeous girl!

I do think it a bit harsh, but I think that black looks harsh on most people who it is not their natural color. I think with your complexion and eyes, dark brown would be STUNNING.

Calaelen
May 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Speaking professionally, I think it does look quite edgy, a little goth, and too harsh, but most people would likely be so entranced by your eyes that it'd be a second thought. I'd recommend a dark golden brown if you wanted a big contrast between your hair and skin, that would look more natural/fitting with your skin tone. You're gorgeous! And, I do think you are right to go for a darker colour than your natural one, black is just a hard shade for anyone to pull off if it comes from a bottle.

Lostsoule77
May 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I think the black makes your eyes pop. The second picture is stunning and the first also looks fine. The third doesn't look right. It obviously depends on the lighting and your makeup and you might be right to follow others suggestion of a dark brown. I would caution you that if you are going to use Color oops to really look into it first. There is a good article on removing black here. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=94

I think your best bet, if you don't want to let it just fade, is to consult a colorist. I know it can be expensive but what you do with your hair now can affect it years from now. Good luck.

Avital88
May 28th, 2012, 09:34 AM
well i think i like it but i also have to say it does make u look a bit edgy/goth.
There is nothing wrong with that, i love it, but if that isnt the look ur going for you can go a little lighter.Black is always hard to pull off,but i think it suits you and your family might have to get used to it..

JellyBene
May 28th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Prior the all this I actually was already beginning to question weather I really liked the black or not. I have kept it black with henndigo for about 10 months now so its not a matter of getting used to it. I dont mind it in the first 2 pictures but friends and family say it usually looks most like the third one which I do not like the look of. I tried the color oops but it didn't really do much (zero damage though, actually feels softer :shrug:) I could always grow it out and go for a reverse ombre.
heres my natural color:
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/39218_148678101813177_100000129654638_479366_41500 01_n.jpg

Annibelle
May 28th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I think your natural color looks good! I think it's because of the golden tone. Whichever color you pick, I think that golden tone is gonna make you look fab!

long&blonde
May 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I love black hair on you. I don't think it looks harsh at all. It really highlights your lovely skin tone and makes your eyes pop. Honestly, I think "Black hair is Harsh." Is kind of a stereotypical statement; that you might as well Expect from family. Kind of like if you mention to most families "Should I get a tattoo?" Stereotypical answer will be "No." It looks Gorgeous. I am 57, mentioning that so you have an older viewpoint too. :)

jaine
May 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
If you do a henna gloss on top of it, that should warm up the color a bit. That's what I did when my henna/indigo experiments resulted in a color that was too cool.

spidermom
May 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think it looks so harsh that you absolutely HAVE to correct it.

ladyofrohan
May 28th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I don't see any problems with the black and your skin tone, but I'm not quite sure how it works with your eye color. I'd go with a really dark brown.

But then, I'm biased too, because I'm not really fond of pure black hair on most people.

LadyTheta
May 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Having lived in New Mexico ... I find your hair to look lovely, quite becoming to your eyes, and natural looking. As you said, you're not wearing a "flat black" "goth" sort of black. Lovely. Enjoy.

cremenoir
May 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm a bit biased because a) I LOVE black hair, and b) I used to have black hair myself, but I think it looks lovely on you, especially with your hazel eyes. If you're concerned about it being too harsh, maybe go for a black-brown rather than a true ink-black. I used to mix black dye with warm dark brown dye to get that effect. It's a subtle difference (your hair will still look "black"), but it gives it more of a brown sheen in the sun, which looks a lot more natural than the blue sheen of true black. Overall though, I think you look great with super-dark hair.

TheMechaGinger
May 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm on the fence! I like it in the top two but for some reason the bottom one looks a little harsh to me but that might just be the lighting. Maybe a nice dark brown would work for you? You're a gorgeous girl and I absolutely love that green polish!

spidermom
May 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
P.S: I think your natural hair color is very pretty.

ladylowtide
May 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I love blonde, but I think you look a lot prettier with the black hair. I really did think it was your natural color the first when you posted pictures a while ago. You have a beautiful complexion, and have no trouble pulling it off. So I guess I favor the black. And I also think it make you eyes stand out a lot more. Whereas with the blonde I might have thought they were just brown as opposed to all those pretty colors you got going on. :)

catamonica
May 28th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I think you look great with black hair. I always liked black hair.

longhairedwolf
May 28th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I think it is a little harsh on you, to be honest. Dyed black is hard to pull off.

onlyforhim
May 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
first of all you are very beautiful and I think black brings the color of your eyes and suits your skin too. But if I was in your place I would never ever change my hair color.. I have dyed my hair many times and at last reaized that nothign would be more beautiful than my own hair color. I have also seen many people dying and I realized that their hair color no matter what it was suited them better)
But don't change your color now, black on your hair will became a very light shade almost light brown in couple of months...:)
hmm.. just enjoy this color now specially that it suits you really.

DarkSky
May 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Personally I love it! You look amazing with black hair. It makes your face and eyes stand out and sets you apart from the average. I may be a little biased though since I really like dark hair in general .

Deborah
May 28th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I too think that the black is harsh and fake looking. On the other hand, your natural color is lively and lovely on you. Maybe you could just let the hair grow back in your natural color, and forget dying it altogether. Or, if the two-tone look is too much for you, then maybe lighten it back as close as possible to your natural color, then just let it grow.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do! :)

akilina
May 28th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Yes harsh. But I love the harshness of it. I have jet black hair and I've been told it looks very harsh on me but "suits my personality very well" So I stick to it

Gingerbear
May 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Your natural color is really a dark blonde, so I think your family just is not used to the shock. I have naturally dark brown hair but have been light blonde for over 10 years. When I was dark brunette, everyone said I could never pull off blonde & now that I am a blonde, everyone says I could never pull off brunette! So do what you like!

excentricat
May 28th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I think it looks fine in the first photo, but a bit harsh in the third. I agree with the suggestions of a dark brown.

Venefica
May 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
You are very beautiful and I think you look good with black hair. Now I think that with you bangs and black hair to pale skin if you want to avoid a Gothic look you have to be careful about what clothes and jewelry you wear. I do not think the black is harsh, it is however very dramatic and it can easily be edgy or Gothy if you do not tone it down with the rest of your look. Your hair do suit you though but if what you are going for is very sweet or vanilla then black might not be right for you.

umbrellabones
May 28th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I think it looks nice, but it is a bit harsh/edgy. I like edgy, but you said that's not how you want to look, so I think a dark brown would be much better suited to you. I like the contrast of dark hair and light skin and it would still give you that but with more of a natural looking feel to it(:

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I like it!

I had black hair for awhile, and I loved it. My family thought it didn't suit my pale complexion... but strangers who didn't know my natural colour kept asking where I came from (most of those doing the asking were of Southern European descent with dark hair, and seemed to think I must be the same despite my very fair and freckled skin). I even once got in a debate with an Italian girl about it because she was very insistent that I HAD to have some Southern European ancestry of some type (I really don't... with my natural fair hair and skin I could have come straight from my ancestral Scotland/England, there is absolutely nothing exotic about my appearance whatsoever).

So I guess what I'm saying is that people who already know you will be used to the way you are and may find your new look very different and think it doesn't suit you. Those who don't know you will just see what IS, and what I see is someone who looks very pretty with her black hair!!

(Incidentally on a funny note, there was a photo of me with my two dogs when I had black hair, and my parents must have had the photo and dragged it out at some stage and my dad had no idea who the person was in the picture... he'd thought it must have been "some friend of mine" because he didn't recognise the black haired me AT ALL some years later).

vindo
May 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I think it does look a little harsh, mostly in the last picture. Basically you can simply tell it is not natural. Some like that look though, so it is really up to you. I have dyed my hair black before (but I wanted a gothy look), my hair is naturally dark brown, and black was harsh. However, I was able to wear blackbrown okay, red was okay...but none of them were as flattering as my natural hair color so I have been growing out dye for years. :o

JellyBene
May 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I might just try to lighten it as much as possible (it is henndigo so this could be tough) and then grow out my natural color. blonde against black looks bad but blonde against dark brown is doable, so I will aim for fading it to brown

Mesmerise
May 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I might just try to lighten it as much as possible (it is henndigo so this could be tough) and then grow out my natural color. blonde against black looks bad but blonde against dark brown is doable, so I will aim for fading it to brown

Well I would just say, do YOU like it or not? If not... then do just that and try to lighten it. However if you DO like it then don't worry about what other people say! It's your hair after all ;).

Miss Catrina
May 28th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I think it looks just fine. I think family members have a hard time dealing with changes like this, is all.

JellyBene
May 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Well I would just say, do YOU like it or not? If not... then do just that and try to lighten it. However if you DO like it then don't worry about what other people say! It's your hair after all ;).
I like the color itself but I do think brown would look better with my skintone

patienceneeded
May 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I don't think the black looks bad/too harsh, but the main thing is for YOU to be happy with your hair color. A dark brown would be lovely too. Ultimately, it's your choice.

Debra83
May 28th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I like the look, and you may find that you are married to it for a few years because of the indigo....very, very hard to lighten without going green.....ask me I know....I'm still fighting it. but I use dark brown henna over it all and it lasts for about two weeks before I notice the green ends, and I have a dark patch all the way around from about ears to shoulders that is always darker than the brown roots and green/blond ends.....lol. I don't really care though because I'm just happy I'm not dying anymore. I had bleach blonde dye for a long time, and I went black dye as well. Now, since 2008, I'm just playing with all the henna combos!

alwayssmiling
May 29th, 2012, 02:00 AM
I love love love your black hair as someone else said its not harsh...its striking! And you know what - I have people saying my hair is too dark/too long/too curly/too thick.......I don't care. I think dying your own hair involves a lot of confidence and choosing a colour has to go with your personality as much as, and probably more than, other things (skin tone etc).

I have seen people here with rainbow hair and I'm sure they don't ask does this purple/pink/green/blue look harsh, and I'm sure they get as many derogatory comments as well as wow your hair looks amazing comments. Then there are people who play safe, they like to look natural, jet black hair wouldn't be there first choice of dye. You decide whats comfortable for you and not what makes someone else happy.

On another note I tried colourb4 on my indigo hair and it did absolutely nothing other than make my hair incredibly dry and smelling of rotten egg for a week. If the indigo is freshly done and you haven't got lots of layers of indigo - it may fade to a reddish/brownish colour which might be more to your liking. Leave it a few weeks and see what happens. The problem I had with Indigo in my first year was making it stick.

SakuraGirl
May 29th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I think your hair looks stunning that dark, really makes your eyes stand out. But a compromise would be dark brown I suppose.

blondecat
May 29th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I love it <3

And ........... My Gosh you're pretty <3

Mesmerise
May 29th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I like the look, and you may find that you are married to it for a few years because of the indigo....very, very hard to lighten without going green.....ask me I know....I'm still fighting it. but I use dark brown henna over it all and it lasts for about two weeks before I notice the green ends, and I have a dark patch all the way around from about ears to shoulders that is always darker than the brown roots and green/blond ends.....lol. I don't really care though because I'm just happy I'm not dying anymore. I had bleach blonde dye for a long time, and I went black dye as well. Now, since 2008, I'm just playing with all the henna combos!

Hmm yeah... be careful of the green. I remember my sister trying to dye her hair black with indigo years ago (didn't know anything about the two step process in those days) and it went a blackish green! The only way to get rid of the green was to dye it artificially black :rolleyes:.

You can always try and lighten it, but be VERY WARY!

Mayflower
May 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I have the same problem but my hair isn't so jet black as yours, more off-black or superduper dark brown. My natural colour is exactly like yours, very golden, and my family keeps bugging me about it (I went gradually darker over 2 years). I love pale skin and dark hair, and I love how my eyes look even lighter and brighter in comparison to my hair. I find that my natural colour can make my complexion look dull, as in winter it darkens to a light brown. I like my hair to be a defined, deep colour rather than an inbetween.

But anyway, sometimes I'm so sick of the upkeep (I always miss patches of hair while putting on the henndigo), and looking at old pictures my natural colour did look nice and golden in summer. But I don't want to have such a harsh difference while growing it out. But I love my dark hair. But the longer I use indigo the harder it will be to lighten it. But..
ahh can you see I'm having a dilemma?:p

ETA: sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I think the last picture looks a bit 'off' and I think one shade lighter would be beautiful. But just do whatever you want!

Of the Fae
May 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
It looks pretty, but it does look clearly dyed. Slightly harsh, but certainly fashionable. You can pull it off, but if you'd want something that looks natural I'd go with dark brown. Your eyebrows are quite dark, but you could also give them a little more blackness to match your hair, that would also work.

Bianca
May 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I think it suits you :)

SnowWhite
May 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM
It definitely suits you but I understand that your family thinks it's too harsh :)

I think a very very dark brown would look beautiful as well!

jojo
May 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I think you totally rock the black hair, it doesnt look a bit harsh to me!

LaFlor
May 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I like it. Naturally black hair usually reflects differently in the light, but I don't see what the problem is, I love black hair on light skin. You just can't expect it to look 100&#37; natural ALL the time.

Arciela
May 30th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I like it! I think a dark brown would also look lovely :)

Dars
May 30th, 2012, 06:27 AM
You're goregous! It looks nice, but I wonder what difference a chocolate brown would make? It's up to you to decide in the end. :)

Freyariane
May 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I do think the colour is too harsh, but it suits you as well!! I think dark brown would be better :)

PrincessBob
May 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Less harsh on you than it was on me and it looks very nice. Looked darn good on me, too...

Talma
May 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I like the color on you. The only pictures that I would say it looks a little too dark for you would be the one taken in direct sunlight (third from top in your first post) and maybe the one in your album taken with your DBF. I REALLY love the the look of the one in your album with the title "Grown out and faded to this..." The medium to dark brown looks awesome on you IMO.

JellyBene
May 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Thank you all so very much for responding. The Color Oops actually does seem to be working (enough for a coworker to notice even with it in an updo AND under a visor) I might try it a few more times and then go over it with a nice rich brown and let my natural color grow out.

fairystar32
June 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
I agree with this :)
I think it looks amazing! I don't think the colour's too harsh at all, in fact I think it makes your eyes and your flawless skin really stand out. You look very pretty with it! I would never have guessed it wasn't your natural colour.

ohmygackt
June 2nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
I do think it looks good on you, but the thing with black dyed on light hair colors, is that its difficult to maintain the color, always having to dye the roots or it looks like your balding or something :P
You probably shouldn't of dyed it if your going to grow it out really long. But it does look good on you :)

Aimskylove
June 2nd, 2012, 01:28 AM
I LOVE it. It makes your eyes pop and you look so cute with your fringe!

JellyBene
June 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
So, I tried to lighten it with color oops just to see what would happen and it just turned bluish black. And I realized I really don't want to part with it. I'm gonna keep it :)

AutumnLocks
August 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I think you are a very pretty girl. However, I do think you'd be even prettier with your natrual hair color.

mzBANGBANG
August 5th, 2012, 11:57 AM
So, I tried to lighten it with color oops just to see what would happen and it just turned bluish black. And I realized I really don't want to part with it. I'm gonna keep it :)

I want to see the bluish black!

I think the black hair does make you look edgy, however I also like the edgy look!

JellyBene
August 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM
mzBANGBANG oh I meant I wanted to keep the black! I quickly fixed the bluish black :) But here's a picture of it:
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad112/limegreenlollipop_/downsized_0529121818.jpg

AnnaB
August 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I don't think it's to harsh. I got the same from my mother when I use to dye my hair black. But to be honest my mum doesn't like any dark shades on me. And I'm naturally dark brown.
Just have your hair the way you like it. :) I like it black on you :)

Catia
August 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Is it just the photo, or do I see some lift to brown there?

First of all ... my mother hated it when I would dye my hair darker (semi-perm) when I was younger, but loved it when I did it in my late 20s/30s :shrug: Just do what you like.

Do you do roots only? If so, then maybe the length will lighten and warm up so that you can have the best of both worlds if that is what you want ;)

I have been trying everything for almost 2 years to lift my two-step indigo black hair, so I understand the desire to throw your hands up in the air and dye it all over again. The problem is ... that itch to go lighter will never truly go away, so if I could talk to my indigo-ing self after only a year of indigo under my belt, I would have done everything in my power not to overlap anything and transitioned back to a indigo-lighter henndigo.

Of course, I'm a little bias because after 5 years I became so allergic to indigo I couldn't use it anymore. And yeah ... colorfix didn't do squat diddly for me either :rolleyes:

Kosmos
August 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I think you look lovely as well. e

briles
August 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I don't think it's too dark. Your complexion is so creamy I thought you had a total Snow white thing going on.

When my hair was black I was constantly trying to straddle the line between natural and goth looking. I think your hair is soft looking and shiny enough to pull it off.

Sabriel
August 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM
It looks great. If you told me it was your natural color I'd believe it!

Family can be harsh about that stuff, but if you're happy you should keep it :)

Also I think the blue looked cool!

FrannyG
August 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
It's very rare that I think that a natural dark blonde suits black hair, but I have to say that it really makes your best features pop. I think it looks lovely on you. I haven't been around much for quite a while until six weeks ago, but you should know that I am not afraid to say what I really think. So believe me; I'm not just trying to make you feel good.

wtchmel
August 5th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I think it looks great, you do it well. Like snow white with the pale skin and black hair, ilove it!

JellyBene
August 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Catia, yes there were brown chunks but not a pretty brown! And thank you all for your honest opinions :)

MidnightMoon
August 5th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I love it :o
I wish I had your skin colour and such pretty eyes!

Ambystoma
August 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I like the dark colour on you but perhaps it looks a little harsh since it's all the one colour, which you don't often see on very fair skinned people with undyed hair. Perhaps you could keep the underneath black and gradually work some fine dark brown highlights of varying shades into the crown and face framing areas? You have very pretty hazel eyes by the way!

sunnydee92
August 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I think you look very pretty with dark hair! I am also naturally dark blonde, so when I dyed my hair dark brown/black last year, my mom told me I looked horrible. It's your hair, though, so how you feel is the only thing that really matters! ^.^

JLa23
August 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I like it, I do not think it looks too harsh for your complexion. Snow White had black hair and fair skin and she is very popular. I love Disney. Seriously, thought looks good. I didn't want to read the 11 page thread to see what your natural hair color is, but if you have brown hair naturally, you can do natural rinses to get more dark. I.e.coffee, apple cider vinegar, black tea instead of dying it.

Witherwood
August 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Gorgeous! I love the black hair. It really makes your eyes stand out!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 6th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I think your black hair is beautiful and shiny. I love beautiful black shiny hair, however I do feel that a dark brown would suit your skin colour better. Black can sometimes look somewhat harsh against pale skin and eyes. Oh and lovely eyes too!

Wiggy Stardust
August 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'm gonna be a bit different and say it looks a little harsh, especially with your eyes and haircut. Its just... Not so much a natural look, but more intended to look different? I think a dark dark brown on the red side would suit you a bit better if you were going for natural.

spookyghost
August 6th, 2012, 04:21 AM
The first pic your hair doesnt look too dark on you but it does look too dark in the rest of the pics. You look nice with it but I do think its a little too dark for your skin tone. Its your hair and you do whatever makes you happy!:)

I think you posted this thread in May-if I remember the date right. So what did you do? Did you keep the black hair color or did you lighten it up a little? Im very curious!:p

metricfuture
August 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I like it, it kinda reminds me of a less-severe version of Krysten Ritter (she played Jane on Breaking Bad). It suits you.

JellyBene
August 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
spookyghost, yes I did post this in May, somebody resurrected the thread and it has been going again ever since ;) I tried to lighten it with color oops, it actually did work some, but then I realized I was really goung to miss my black, so I went back to it. Somehow my roots turned bright green (???) so I had to work with them a little but i now have it all bck to my black and I don't plan on changing it again :)