PDA

View Full Version : New beginnings...

Lishamatish
May 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hey all,
I used to lurk about here all the time but not say too much as I didnt have much to share. My hair which has been died for the past ten years and cut and treated terribly was about APL.

So very recently, I did this...

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1879674912/image.jpg

And I am starting again :D

My pack is no cutting and no dying, ever... That's right... Ever again.

For me this was the best decision, because it was dyed it was so easy to make an excuse to do it again like "oh I'll just dye it back to my natural colour and then never again". But it never worked and I kept on treating it badly.

I just wanted to share this with you guys as most of my friends think I'm insane. And perhaps to ask...

What do I do now? How can I give my totally virgin hair the best start? There is no damage so I want to treat it as perfectly as I can from now to forever.

:D hope everybody is well! I hope to be around here more often now I have a plan!

DarkCurls
May 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Wow! Congratulations on the big cut. I could never get the courage to do that. I don't think you're crazy, but I do think you're brave.

Lucky for you, short hair doesn't need that much care in the beginning... :) I'd say just avoid the big no-no's (heat styling every day, bla bla) and, for now, have fun searching the forums for things you want to try out on your hair this time around (shea butter, coconut oil, scalp massages, bla bla). I guarantee it helps pass time.

Good luck.

Lishamatish
May 27th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks lovely :) am exited for all the researching and trying stuff out!

Patience patience patience.

ladylowtide
May 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wow you are so brave! I envy you! Good luck on your journey.

sisi33
May 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM
WOW! You are super brave to do that! Congratulations on your new beginning! But, I'm just wondering- do you plan on doing S&D'ing? That's the one thing that I think you might want to consider, even if you do "never cut again". And, while you're waiting for you hair to grow out (you'll be amazed at thow quickly it grows out!), research everything you can- even methods you wouldn't think you would ever want to try- everyone of the threads here have some little nugget of info that you might want to save somewhere.

Good luck!

Amapola
May 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
A friend of mine just did this, but for a totally different reason - her mother had just died.

But like her, I think it is a brave thing to do, and not only that it looks kinda cool. :) I think she even has close to the same color hair that you do.

At this point you can't put it up or braid it etc. but in the meantime you can just take very good care of yourself. A healthy person grows healthy hair, for the most part.

Best of luck in your new hair journey! I hope you will take lots of pictures and share them.

jacqueline101
May 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
You're brave and good luck on your journey to long hair.

dawnss
May 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Good luck, I bet you are really happy and excited!! What is your first hair goal?

GrowingGlory
May 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM
This would be a great time to start NW/SO.

BrightEyes
May 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Wow, you are very brave. Some days I wish I could do the same and start completely over. It sounds like you have a good plan to follow. Now you are on your way to gorgeous long hair. Good luck! :)

Hyacinth
May 27th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm sure you will have very healthy, long, virgin hair soon!

froglet
May 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I've grown my hair out from a complete head shave. It's now almost shoulder length.

My recommendations would be to use a gentle shampoo on it while growing it out, I don't think I started conditioning until it was to the tops of my ears. I used a blow dryer occasionally to get a certain area of my hair to lie flat, at some lengths there was no way to style without it. I don't have any damage from it. Also, headscarves & hats are your friends, sometimes there was no style that would look right so I'd just pop a scarf or hat on my head and I was good to go.

One other thing, once you get some length to it you will probably be tempted to color again. Don't do it! I did and was so sorry as the length I had gained had to be cut off.

Oh, and enjoy your healthy new hair, I found that most of the process was fun! :D

ozzy
May 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
You are very brave indeed! I wanted to do the same thing for awhile now, it would be the best option in a long run, but I just don't have the balls to do it. Show your progress on here, I' would love to see it. And most importantly GOOD LUCK, and HAPPY GROWING!! :)

Five of Five
May 27th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I love your new look, it really suits you!

I don't have much in the way of advice except for the use of earrings and/or scarves when you feel like you want a new colour or cut. Also, enjoy having short hair while you still do. It looks great :).

catamonica
May 27th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Your really brave to cut your hair. Good luck on your journey. And may you have beautiful
long hair!

caadam
May 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM
This would be a great time to start NW/SO.

I was just about to say this. lol It's totally the PERFECT situation to start a NW/SO method with your hair and scalp. That's if you want. Even WO!

Either way, congratulations with the new cut! I actually think it looks pretty good on you! :cheese:

blondie9912
May 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Wow, impressive! I read somewhere that when you have very short hair your should pamper your scalp with scrubs and such (maybe moisturizing masks if you have flakes?) because with long hair you don't really have the opportunity to do so. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your progress!