PDA

View Full Version : my glasses are pulling my hair out!

Micayla47
May 27th, 2012, 09:22 AM
i wear glasses because i'm seriously far-sighted, but when i'm at work i have to take them off, put them back on, take them off, etc. every other time i take them off, they break a couple strands of hair off. has anyone seen glasses that are one piece, i.e., no hinges, screws or nose pieces??

Madora
May 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
If your glasses only have one hinge on either side, could you "pinch" the hinge with your fingers (so that they cover the hinge), then gently lift the glasses up and forward (in front of your face)?

swtchks0327
May 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I, like you, am far-sighted. I have found that these fit well, are light-weight and just about disappear on your face.http://www.silhouette.com/us/en/eyewear/#inlay=titanelements_spxartkids

summergreen
May 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM
has anyone seen glasses that are one piece, i.e., no hinges, screws or nose pieces??

Someone should totally invent these if they don't exist already!!!

I'm going to be watching this thread like a hawk, Ive lost so many hairs to glasses hinges!

spidermom
May 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I have to make sure my hair is put up before I put on my computer glasses. Otherwise the hinges grab hairs when I take them off; so annoying!

Jing
May 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I've never seen glasses like that, but making some sort of cover for hinges shouldn't be too hard. You might be able to find that online if you don't want to make a set yourself.

terylenerose
May 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know of any special glasses, but it's possible (with a lot of patience and dedication, which I don't have at the moment) to recover normal eyesight. There's a forum (http://www.iblindness.org/) about how to improve your eyesight using the Bates method. I'm a member myself. And if you really don't want to do that for whatever reason, I would suggest putting your hair in a style where the glasses can't grab it. That is, if such a style exists, which it may not.

Kherome
May 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Wear your hair up.

Amapola
May 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM
My sister has a pair of reading glasses that hook together over the bridge of the nose with a very strong magnet, and attach to each side with a cord that goes around the neck. Now, if you could find a pair like that with your correct lens, you might just take some 5-minute epoxy and simply coat the hinges with glue so that they no longer come open and can capture your hair. Then you can pull the glasses down and back up with the magnet.

I have this issue too. In my case I have bangs cut in front so it's not such a problem in my case but it does annoy me. I am seriously considering using epoxy to permanently have my glasses set in the "open" position, rendering all idea of hinges moot... :) I've done this with hair pins and clips. If they have a part that is harsh, I'll coat it in 5-minute epoxy. If I worry the epoxy will not hold (it usually does though) I get out a file and make some marks on the metal.

Bunnysaur
May 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I wear glasses too, and they always pull my hair out. I've started pinching in the sides to open the hinge before sliding them off, so it puts pressure on the side of my face. That way, if any hairs are caught in the hinge they are released before I end up ripping them out with the glasses.

jaine
May 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I wear glasses too, and they always pull my hair out. I've started pinching in the sides to open the hinge before sliding them off, so it puts pressure on the side of my face. That way, if any hairs are caught in the hinge they are released before I end up ripping them out with the glasses.

That's what I do too.

heidi w.
May 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I had glasses for a long time that did that. This last time I bought new glasses, I found a pair that did not have exposed hinges, and the entire frame is made of plastic, not metal. They're also a much lighter weight. Wearing hair up didn't necessarily solve the problem of pulling hair out because it was the hair at the temples and just beside the ear that was getting pulled out. It drove me nuts. Hence a sincere search was made when I bought new glasses. Still kind of don't like these glasses, but it's what I've got, and until I get a job again, I'm not buying new glasses. Can't afford to. I have 3 different prescriptions in each lense, and the two lenses are not alike in prescription. I have an astigmatism, and have to wear them all the time.

Contacts are a pain in the p'toosh for me, too.

I see far worse than ever, and have had to learn the trick of how to expand the size of print online...that's my new trick. See, an old dog can learn new tricks!

For years, with my old glasses, I simply would take the glasses off at night and not close the arms of the glasses. I'd leave them open on my nightstand. I found opening and closing glasses to be stressful on the hinges and eventually led to balance problems, and tilted glasses on my face. Lemme tell you, that's a look! LOL Walk around all day with crooked glasses. Plus one of my ears is more forward than the other......

oh what fun.

heidi w.

Kitsu
May 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I have this problem too I wear a fabric head band a lot to try and save rogue hair escapes!

I have a ton of re growth from a time where my glasses got ripped off my face a took a whole chuck o' hair with them. It was my own fault for walking into what that browser end but my did it hurt. Other than that just to a quick hair check before yu take them off.

Now i'm more concious of it I can free the little troopers that got stuck before I end up pulling them out

KwaveT
May 27th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I don't have problem with hair catching in the hinges but have constant problems with my glasses falling off my face. I tighten legs until they hurt my ears and have to reloosen the legs of glasses again rinse and repeat. I have had this problem since getting my new glasses in December. I am beginning to wonder if I am going to ever discover the right fit. I have even had nose piece tightened a couple of times. I got those light weight titanium frames so I guess that is part of the problem.

Micayla47
May 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
If your glasses only have one hinge on either side, could you "pinch" the hinge with your fingers (so that they cover the hinge), then gently lift the glasses up and forward (in front of your face)?

i think the hinges must be loose because the hair gets caught even when i'm not removing them!

Micayla47
May 27th, 2012, 11:38 PM
ok, excellent ideas. i'm going to try all of them. :disco:

trolleypup
May 27th, 2012, 11:42 PM
There are indeed hingeless AND hair-friendly hinged glasses...although not inexpensively. Also, some hinges are hungrier than others...my current glasses have spring loaded hinges, so they stay tight closed and don't grab hairs.

torrilin
May 29th, 2012, 09:25 AM
You have to shop around for hair friendly frames.

IME, it isn't the hinges that eat the most hair. A lot of frame styles have applied decorations that leave tiny crevices for hair to catch. Maybe it's a bit of plastic to make the ear pieces look prettier than straight metal. Or a bit of applied metal to accentuate the sides of the ear pieces. Jeweled "bits" near the frame are also bad. Some styles have a join between the lens holding loop and the ear piece that leaves a large gap and sharp edges. So I look for frames that are as simple as I can possibly find.

Nose pieces are really hard on bangs, but bangs take a lot of damage anyway. Normally your halo of baby hairs should not be diving into nose pieces. If that's a problem, you might consider using more oil or leave in conditioner.

Most good quality frames have spring loaded hinges, and as Trolleypup says, they don't eat much hair. If they start, the screws are likely loose. You should check your screws every so often. I'm blind as a bat, so I don't take my glasses off very often, and that reduces how often my screws come loose. If you swap glasses often, you'll need to check them more.

You also have to learn to be careful with your glasses. No matter how careful you are to buy smooth frames that are gentle on your hair... If you rip them on and off, it's gonna be hard on your hair.

I don't think plastic vs metal really matters. Metal frames can have more sharp bits in a cheap design, but cheap plastic frames are prone to stress fractures that can catch hair. Good quality frames can be had in any material, and mostly you will pay for good quality. I typically expect to pay $500-600 for a pair of glasses because most US health insurance coverage is so awful for eye stuff. And that's not all for my hideously expensive lens prescription.

Arciela
May 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
ugh mine do this too :( i only wear them at home have have to wear my hair back...other then that I wear contacts. i've looked around a lot of places but havent had much luck =( i hope you can find something !!

Anje
May 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I don't know about eyeglasses that are both hinge-less and nose-less (how exactly are you getting hair caught in the nosepieces?), but there are certainly hingeless ones. Zennioptical.com has several: search for the word hingeless in their search box.

Another thought: if you go with hingeless glasses, you might do better with a non-drilled frame, since that's another point where hair might catch.