PDA

View Full Version : Have your thoughts about long hair changed?

tgagurl27
May 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
I have just been looking at old photos from when I was at school/Polytech. There were photos of people that (back then) I thought had the longest hair I'd ever seen and I was sooo super jealous of how long and beautiful their hair was. Now 3 years later I'm looking at the photos of these girls (my hair now being longer or same length as theirs) and my emotions/thoughts about it has changed. For example I now think my hair is still too short for my liking and that it could be longer and better. Does anyone else feel this way? I kind of feel like I'm chasing an impossible dream kind of like chasing a rainbow you can never quite get there.

I don't know.. Sorry to be depressing, I maybe just need some "hairtivation" (hair motivation)
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

spidermom
May 26th, 2012, 09:02 PM
There are a couple of movies where I thought a character had such long and gorgeous hair. I remembered the hair as much longer than it really was. I was particularly watching for a scene in Michael, and then I realized the waitress's hair was shorter than mine. Same with The Princess Bride.

tgagurl27
May 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Yea it's quite weird to think you become sort of blahzay (don't know how to spell that haha) about hair length. For me I think that I must have thought my hair was never going to be that length and now that it is I'm like "Myeh its not that long. I could go longer" haha

Kelikea
May 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Yes, the Princess Bride! I always remember her hair, in my mind, as being so long and beautiful. But then I watch it again and realize, not really.

ouseljay
May 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
There are a couple of movies where I thought a character had such long and gorgeous hair. I remembered the hair as much longer than it really was. I was particularly watching for a scene in Michael, and then I realized the waitress's hair was shorter than mine. Same with The Princess Bride.

I just had to go look up pictures of Buttercup, because I remembered her hair around hip length. But it's really more like waist length, isn't it?

RitaCeleste
May 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah! I said if I could keep coloring my hair red and get it waist length, I would be satisfied with waist length hair. Well, I trimmed a half inch off the ends and its still waist length now. I just posted in the Henna section because now I suddenly want to switch to henna over chemicals because if I am nice to my hair I might grow something besides a ratty tail below the waist. My pic was taken last year and I must have trimmed about 2 1/2 to three inches off over the year. It feels like it has hardly grown but layers are getting cut out and its thickening up at the bottom. It isn't really tapered and rat-tail looking at the bottom anymore, its giving me hope it could grow longer than the waist. I just kinda thought anything below the waist on me would be so sparse and stringy it would have to go. I figured it would just be terminal at the waist on me. I'm not so sure now though.

longhairedlady
May 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Yes my views on what I consider long has changed. Everytime I achieve what I consider long, it doesnt seem so long anymore!

MonicaJean
May 27th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Haha yeah, like a sort of hair dysmorphia kind of thing.

spookyghost
May 27th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Haha-I know! I thought my hair was long until I joined this sight!:eek: I mean what the heck was I thinking? But since I joined LHC I now know there is more to long hair-there is also healthy hair. Which I have always strived for and wanted I just didnt realize all the things I was doing to my hair was wrong in so many ways!:lol: So I think I will always be that person striving for longer hair no matter what length I will currently have. However, I do think I will stop at some point because there may be a length that is just too long for my liking. I will know when I get there.;)

Slug Yoga
May 27th, 2012, 04:37 AM
example I now think my hair is still too short for my liking and that it could be longer and better. Does anyone else feel this way? I kind of feel like I'm chasing an impossible dream kind of like chasing a rainbow you can never quite get there.

Oh, I totally experience this. My goalposts have definitely moved, like you say: I used to think I wouldn't want hair longer than TB but now that it's there I am thinking of growing it to knee. In that sense, my hair is "too short for my liking," and I want it to be longer, but somehow that is not depressing or discouraging to me--on the contrary, it makes me feel like I've come a long way, and I love my hair as it is now, even though I'm also looking forward to it being longer and thicker.

Look at it this way: what used to seem so idealized and unachievable and ridiculously long is now... your hair! You've internalized your long-hair-ness, so that whatever long length you've got seems "normal," and you want to go longer.

There's a difference between looking forward to improving things, and being dissatisfied with what you have... wanting to achieve more and looking forward to the future is good, and can be motivating. It would be pretty boring and pointless--not just with hair but with everything about our lives and achievements--to be there already, and not want to change anything or have any goals, you know? It would be a kind of stagnation. Don't get so focused on where you'd like to be in the future that you forget how far you have come and how awesome your hair is now!

GoblinTart
May 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Living in the South, I was considered to have long hair at APL-BSL. Even if i felt it was too short. But I had the lovely nickname of Pocahontas amongst everyone I knew. No one grows their hair past their shoulders.

Now that i live in AZ, my feelings of my hair being short have been intensified. Everyone seems to have a pixie, or waist to hip length.

My hair never feels long enough. Can't wait til I'm back at BSL again though. At least then I can have a decent braid.

dwell_in_safety
May 27th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I appreciate the care that goes into having long, healthy hair much more. Around here, most of those who have long hair actually have extensions, and their real hair is riddled with splits. There are two women, however, who work at the hospital that I work at who both have curly, classic length+ hair. It is absolutely stunning. I just care a lot more for health of hair than I ever did before, and I'm much more critical of others' hair... though that also means I'm much more enamored of obviously well cared for hair.

Amber_Maiden
May 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Oh yes. I used to think some things were healthy, and now I know the truth!

UpNorth
May 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Haha yeah, Today I thought about a friend of mine who had very long beautiful hair I was so jealous of a couple of years ago. Now she has shoulder length hair but I looked at some old pics of her just as a reminder today and it was hip length as its longest!

TiffanieJean
May 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I know how you feel. My hair is the longest it has been since I was a kid. It's been this long briefly, but I always cut it back to BS length when it gets to where it is now.

That was before I knew much about hair. My ends would be so bad by the time it got to lower waist length I had to cut it. Now my ends aren't too bad, but I feel like my hair is still short...

It's all of the beautiful LHC pictures! lol I almost never see anyone with hair as long as mine IRL. I've just about made up my mind that I want to go to TB length now. It doesn't help that my hair inspiration is the Little Mermaid.. lol Talk about an impossible goal!

TiffanieJean
May 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I appreciate the care that goes into having long, healthy hair much more. Around here, most of those who have long hair actually have extensions, and their real hair is riddled with splits. There are two women, however, who work at the hospital that I work at who both have curly, classic length+ hair. It is absolutely stunning. I just care a lot more for health of hair than I ever did before, and I'm much more critical of others' hair... though that also means I'm much more enamored of obviously well cared for hair.

Your not the only one! I'm a lot quicker to judge other peoples hair now... Probably not a good thing. Every time I see extensions I think cheater! Any time I see someone with long hair that is a mess I think about what they 'should' do to fix it... If I see someone with beautiful long hair I admire it much more than I would have a couple years ago.

mrs_coffee
May 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
All of my life I was completely indifferent to long hair. Now that I'm growing mine out, I'm slightly obsessed.

terylenerose
May 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM
For a while there I used to think that hair about my current length was long. But then I decided that that wasn't true. Now I don't think I'd consider most hair to be long until it got to be about waist length. That's one of the things I don't really like about coming here. I may never consider my hair to be long until it gets to a length I can't deal with anymore, and that would be sad. I'll just have to keep telling myself that 30" or longer is long. Who knows if I'll believe it. I've got 6.75" to go until then, and that's quite a while.

dulce
May 27th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I used to want BSL to waist ,now thanks to the gorgeous pics in people's album ,have changed my final goal to hip or tailbone[if it doesn't get too thin]

Amapola
May 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Yes, my thoughts about long hair have changed quite a bit. For one thing like others, I am really noticing hair now. I did before, but now I notice a lot more detail. I've even felt brave enough to approach people with long hair and admire it to them.

Also my hair is longer than it has ever been... but it does not *seem* long because it got there quite gradually and so I adjusted to it very gradually. I did not wake up one morning with it this length... so it just seems "normal". I would like for it to be very, very long, but who knows - perhaps when I get to tail bone, or classic, it will still seem "normal" to me. :D

One of the cool things about this whole thing of growing your hair out is that it it a long process. It's not one of those instant gratification things; it takes a long time. I really like that.

jacqueline101
May 27th, 2012, 03:47 PM
My opinion about long hair changed a lot. I now know long hair takes work before in the past I used to blow dry and treat it badly. I've gained knowledge about hair care. I wish I would have found this site years ago my hair journey would be further along.

Madora
May 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I have just been looking at old photos from when I was at school/Polytech. There were photos of people that (back then) I thought had the longest hair I'd ever seen and I was sooo super jealous of how long and beautiful their hair was. Now 3 years later I'm looking at the photos of these girls (my hair now being longer or same length as theirs) and my emotions/thoughts about it has changed. For example I now think my hair is still too short for my liking and that it could be longer and better. Does anyone else feel this way? I kind of feel like I'm chasing an impossible dream kind of like chasing a rainbow you can never quite get there.

I don't know.. Sorry to be depressing, I maybe just need some "hairtivation" (hair motivation)
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tgagurl27, it is not an impossible dream to achieve healthy, beautiful hair. You've only been at it three years and that's not really all that long.

Just concentrate on the hair you have and treat it kindly. Maybe try and learn some new updos. The hardest thing about achieving long hair is having the patience to deal with it as it grows longer. Good luck!

Sakuracha
May 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Yes, my thoughts about long hair have evolved over time. I originally joined this forum to learn how to get my hair healthy again and perhaps grow to classic length again. Now I'm considering going for terminal even though I'm only hip at the moment. I've also learned different ways to care for my hair and learning new buns/hairdo's makes longer hair seem more fun and attainable.

Long_hair_bear
May 27th, 2012, 07:30 PM
What I used to consider "long" is now short. To society, my bsl hair is long. By lhc standards, it's short. :(

catamonica
May 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I used to think waist length hair was really long. Its long but now its at hip. Until I can sit on it, it will never feel long enough. Also I learned you have to really treat your hair with tender loving care. Never used oil on my hair. Never wore it in a bun. Now I use olive oil & Aloe Vera. And wear it in a bun. Its much more healthy, and in good condition, then when i was younger.

Jing
May 28th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I had waist+ length hair when I was younger, and so did my sister, so I never took particular note of anything shorter than that on other people.

hendrickx
May 28th, 2012, 05:31 AM
All of my life I was completely indifferent to long hair. Now that I'm growing mine out, I'm slightly obsessed.

This... This is me. Since I've decided to grow mine, I notice everyone's hair more. It took 11 months before I saw someone with my hair type in public with it long. It only made me want to get there more. :smile:

Tealpuffin
May 28th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Definitely! I feel really bad about how horrible I was about people with long hair. I used to believe that people with long hair couldn't be bothered to do anything about their hair. I have learned that especially for the people on here, that it is the opposite and it is a thing of endurance. this place has also shown me how beautiful hair can be if you really do take care of it. I joined this forum to be able to grow my hair longer but I didn't really have a hair goal. All knew was that I wanted longer hair but now my main aim is to have thick healthy hair that I am happy to wear naturally all of the time.

Beckstar
May 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Yes it has. I used to think that my hair was still too short at hip. Now it's at shoulder and I feel like it's long enough...lol.

racrane
May 28th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I have definitely experienced this, too. In high school when I was BSL, I thought I had long hair. Now, I still consider it short, lol. :D

Ligeia_13
May 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
My perception of what "long" hair is hasn't changed at all. For me, my hair will always be satisfactory at waist/hip.

I am starting to debate whether its worth it though.

Lostsoule77
May 28th, 2012, 12:15 PM
When I joined here I felt that my hair was long. I had just trimmed it from BCL to hip length. Now I'm between TBL & classic and feel like it's not long, or at least not long enough. ;) I've always noticed those with long hair, but now I really notice the condition too.

There are a lot of women around here with long hair though. We just had a street fair last weekend and I saw that most females here had at least BSL, though I didn't see longer than hip on any adults.

noelgirl
May 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Oddly, LHC has made me less attached to length, and more meticulous about health. Seeing people's progress here reminds me that even if I do cut back, it will grow back, and it's easy enough to predict how quickly. But if I find even a single split end, I feel raggedy until I can S&D it, so maybe I've missed the point just a bit.

Natalia
May 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM
i think my deffinition of what long hair is on me has changed. my deffinition of long on other people is about the same but on me i figured hip would be long but im at tb and its not long enough it feels long the rare times i have it down but not long enough. i think if i can make it to classic that would be good. i want it to be long enough that it looks impressive in just a simple braid.

hairconvictions
May 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
My perception has definitely changed. I only notice others' long hair when it is past waist now. I used to think that BSL was gorgeously long. My hair doesn't seem long, unless I've just taken it out of a bun and it's all wirly wavy (seems like more hair, I guess).

AutumnLocks
August 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I loved the entire movie The Princess Bride. I especially love her hair in the scene where she is about to marry Prince Humperdink. It hangs in long spiral waves and is just beautiful.
I consider hair to be LONG at waist length. It is longish when it is at shoulderblade length. After waist length it is extra long. I used to have my hair hip length and a lovely shade of strawberry blonde. I called it "whiplash blonde" because a guy would walk by me when my hair was down he would whip his head around to look at me that he'd get whiplash.....lol

RileyJane
August 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah I deff feel that way sometimes. Its like it could be longer, but in all honesty if u had this length a yr ago you would be happy :P I just keep telling myself that once I get to my goal I'll love it!

akilina
August 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
In my own way, they have changed.
Sort of like : I wanted Bsl or MBL hair in the beginning, the idea of anything longer seemed undesirable to me, but now a few years later, I would love Hip, or even TB. No longer though.

LoveAngelBeauty
August 4th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I just can't wait till I hit shoulder :D

Helix
August 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I hear ya. When I was a kid, my hair was perpetually between NL - SL. I used to think APL was long. Now my hair is the longest it's ever been in my life and even though I'm grateful, it still doesn't feel long enough. LHC has ruined me.

Zesty
August 4th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Common phenomenon around these parts. :lol: I was just thinking that even though I've hit hip and everyone is marveling at my hair, it kinda feels shorter than it felt at waist? Somehow?

Oksana
August 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM
When I joined LHC I was aspiring to have my hair the same length as a friend of mine (MBL). I was so jealous of my friends hair but now I am a good few inches past that and looking at her hair now it seems way to short.