PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp...clobetasol and shampoos

goldenmoments
May 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
In the past month the back of my scalp has become significantly itchy and red. Even scabs from itching off a flake or two.

I went to a dermatologist and he simply glanced for three seconds before perscribing Clobetasol Propionate Foam 0.005%

I'm nervous to try this...Has anyone used this product?

I've been CO for over a year and clarifying three months ago left my scalp very dry. I'm nervous as the doc recommended shampoos like: Free and clear, Neutrogena, and DHS Clear.

Massaging with coconut oil has helped a bit, perhaps a long oiling with coconut oil would help.

Any stories about scalp dermatoses? My LHC search function is currently not working so I can not search the boards now, but earlier a search for Clobetasol came up with few entries that were useful.

Thanks a bunchs,
Goldenmoments
Bearer of a sore and itchy scalp :(

Kelikea
May 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Is it to treat excema? Olive oil is supposed to be good for treating excema, you can do a scalp massage with it at night, and CO it out in the morning. Neutrogena T-sal is ok, you can dilute it and add a little oil to make it more mild.

goldenmoments
May 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
to be honest, he mumbled a sentence and started writing the perscription.... almost as if he wasnt sure of what to say...

It was the most rushed appointment I have ever been to. Although I had an appointment were the dermatologist never took her magnifying googles off...I never returned there.

torrilin
May 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clobetasol_propionate

It looks like this is a strong, broad spectrum corticosteroid used to treat a pretty wide variety of skin disorders. The Wikipedia article is a bit misleading, because psoriasis is an auto-immune disorder, so almost everything this drug is used to treat is an auto-immune disorder.

It looks like it's a drug that you should only use for a short period of time. If your prescription has 6 refills or something, I might not fill it and instead try to get a second opinion.

If the doctor recommended Neutrogena T-gel in particular, chances are the doc thinks you have eczema (non-specific, chronic dermatitis), or psoriasis. This shampoo has 2 benefits. It contains coal tar, which helps a great deal with the severe itching psoriasis causes. And it's a fragrance free shampoo, which minimizes the possible irritations and reactions to perfume. The other shampoos are just fragrance free, which is a sensible thing to do if you are having a dermatitis sort of reaction.

I doubt very much that the doctor is opposed to a conditioner only regimen. But quite a lot of the commonly used CO conditioners have a lot of fragrance, and fragrance is one of the most common causes of dermatitis. Neutrogena used to make a T-gel conditioner that was very nice and fragrance free. You may still be able to find it. Otherwise, a lot of different brands make fragrance free conditioners and a number of them are suitable for conditioner only use.

lapushka
May 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'd just go through with this, if I were you; it can not be bad for you, instead it will treat the scalp condition and this is what you need now! Treatment. Not further experimentation. :)

gonzobird
May 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I would try a palmfull of olive or coconut oil mixed with five or six drops of neem oil. Prescriptions like that in my opinion are just band aids. And not good for you. I always use natural remedies and neem oil fixed the excema on my leg and my dry dry itchy head. Super stink stuff but works wonders. I would rub that in at night and leave it til morning. May take a obky a week or so and i bet it will help you tons!

Gingerbear
May 26th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I've used it before. It's just for short term to take out the inflammation--it works very well. You only have to use it for 3-4 days to calm everything down and then put it in your cabinet. It's not for chronic use, just occasional control of flares (usually bad seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff or psoriasis).

auburntressed
May 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'd use the shampoo you were prescribed just long enough that your scalp feels better. Then try oil scalp massages and ACV rinses.

BlazingHeart
May 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Given that they're prescribing that strong a medication, it sounds like a short course of medical intervention may be very necessary at this point. The most likely things to cause continued irritation include dyes and perfumes, which is why you're getting recommendations like that for shampoos. You may find your head is happier than it recently has been if you can switch to an undyed, unscented conditioner for CO - I'm sure they exist!

I get flares of itchy, flaky scalp, and my treatment of choice is chamomile tea. Let it steep a good long time before you use it - I usually give it 20-30 minutes.

Also, with your scalp that irritated, you want to avoid using HOT water on it. Warm is fine, hot is not so good for the skin.

~Blaze

leilasahhar
May 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I abused my hair and scalp sooo much with all the dye, bleach and shampoos! I had dandruff and itchy dry scalp AND my hair wouldn't grow for nothing. I've recently switched to aritha/shakakai powders to shampoo my hair with, I also use fenugreek powder mixed into a paste and use it as a deep conditioner (its amazing!) The last "miracle" Ive come across is a mist for my scalp/roots. Its called Redwood Roots hair nectar mist. The scent is heaven and it keeps my scalp so hydrated. I use it every day. My dandruff is gone, my hair looks and feels healthy AND its growing like crazy!! I also use monistat on my front hairline, it seems to be helping alot. I bleached and dyed my hair repeatedly a few years back and my front hairline really took a beating ;)
you can get the mist at www.Redwood-Roots.com Hope this helps :)
"Lady Sahhar of the Night Jeweled Desert in the order of the Long Haired Knights"