PDA

View Full Version : Coconut milk instead of Coconut oil?

SopphireGem
May 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
If I used coconut milk on my hair instead of coconut oil, would I still get the same benefits? I find coconut oil makes my hair too greasy, even though I apply a tiny amount.

SopphireGem
May 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
anyone? :)

Dizzy_zzz
May 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Coconut milk seemed kinda greasier to me somehow, but you should try it out just to see how it works for you. I'm pretty sure you'd get the same benefits, if not more. If you do decide to use it, though, get a can with a high fat content, put it in the fridge over night, and then the next day, scoop out the creamy stuff off the top and put that in your hair, and not the liquid underneath. It smells better than coconut oil, too :)

strwbrry dakri
May 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I haven't tried this (yet) but this website has a recipe for coconut milk shampoo.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/homemade-coconut-milk-and-coconut-milk.html

She also has bunches of recipes for homemade cleaning products. I have tried a few, and they work pretty well IMO.

cmg
May 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I find it difficult to work with coconut milk. The quality and consistensy of it differs so much. Even if I buy cans from the same brand I never know if I end up with a white liquid or stiff cream with watery stuff underneath. I prefer the coconut oil, and use it mostly as a prewash-treatment or in Kimberlillys defrizz-spray.

/ CMG

JesusFreak88
May 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I find it difficult to work with coconut milk. The quality and consistensy of it differs so much. Even if I buy cans from the same brand I never know if I end up with a white liquid or stiff cream with watery stuff underneath.

/ CMG

You need to mix the milk before using it by either shaking the can before opening it or by stirring it really well after opening the can.

cmg
May 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes I did that. The product was still very different from one time to another. Sometimes it seemed more fat than others.

When I tried it my hair was very damaged and I'm not sure if it was good or bad really. In that stage nothing really made any difference, so my experiences are probably not of any use to you. I will try it again some time when my hair is in better condition, as a deep overnight-treatment before washing. I'll let you know if it does any good. :)

/ CMG

chotee
June 1st, 2012, 03:32 AM
I love coconut milk but i soak my hair only for an hour or so before washing it off. Helps with dandruff and hair fall. But for general conditioning, i like extra virgin coconut oil as its a lot easier to handle. But, to me the benefits of milk seem to be more IMO.

natural_shine
June 1st, 2012, 03:49 AM
Tried it, doesn't work and it's difficult to wash out.

Roscata
June 1st, 2012, 04:44 AM
As far as I know coconut milk is a protein treatment (http://www.precious-curls.com/2011/04/protein-treatment-with-coconut-milk.html) and coconut oil is just oil. In my opinion they are NOT the same thing.

If coconut oil is too heavy for you, try some other type of oil, maybe something that doesn't come in solid (at room temperature) form like Extra Virgin Olive Oil.