PDA

View Full Version : Rose water for hair

SopphireGem
May 26th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Would this rose water work well on the hair instead of ACV? I would like to have the benefits of ACV but with a nice smell! http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2731&prodid=2988

ravenreed
May 26th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I use rose water on my face and hair all the time, but it doesn't replace ACV because it doesn't do what ACV does. I use rose water when I want to dampen my hair, or when I am wearing an updo and I want to bring out the curl in the wispies around my nape. I also spritz it on my face to refresh my makeup, or after I have just applied my mineral foundation to make it look less powdery and more natural.

lilliemer
May 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM
This sounds like a lovely idea.

What brand do you use? And do you use it straight or dilute with water?

ravenreed
May 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I get rose water at the local Asian markets. It is fairly inexpensive. I also find it at health food stores but it is far too pricey there, about three times the cost. I do not dilute it, I just add it to a spray bottle and use as is. I also keep some in the fridge and when summer heat gets too much, a spritz of rose water is a lovely way to cool down.

As for toning down the smell of ACV, I have been making herbal vinegar mixes. I take an old glass bottle, fill it most of the way with ACV, and add herbs. I let it sit for about two weeks, shaking every day. Then I strain and use. I have been adding ginger, mint, lavender and rosemary, which seem to cut down on the smell a bit. I have been adding them to benefit my scalp and hair, but the reduction in vinegar smell is a pleasant bonus.

torrilin
May 26th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I use rose water on my face and hair all the time, but it doesn't replace ACV because it doesn't do what ACV does. I use rose water when I want to dampen my hair, or when I am wearing an updo and I want to bring out the curl in the wispies around my nape. I also spritz it on my face to refresh my makeup, or after I have just applied my mineral foundation to make it look less powdery and more natural.

Actually, that particular rosewater has citric acid as a preservative. The OP is very clever to have noticed that. Citric acid is commonly recommended as a fragrance-less substitute for vinegar. So if the OP makes up a vinegar rinse that works well, she can compare that pH to the rosewater's pH, and she can see if the rosewater would do the job on her hair.

akilina
May 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Weird...I was just thinking about rose water and was looking at recipes.
Anyone have anything specific to share that it does for you?? I am curious

leilasahhar
May 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Ok I have to share this product with you all..its called Redwood roots hair nectar mist. I got it at a local salon where I live. www.redwood-roots.com is the website. its so informative on how the product works. Anyway its made with mostly Rose water and Aloe. My hair loves this stuff!

ravenreed
May 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
The citric acid is so low on the list, it is hard to have any idea of what concentration it is. You could always try straight citric acid or lemon juice, for that matter. I don't think rose water has near the acidity of ACV or lemon juice. I use diluted ACV but it still pretty strong. It has to be to counteract the hard water where I live, which is the main reason I use ACV. I have also used lemon juice, but find it much more drying. It also can lighten hair, which is why some people avoid it. The other reason I use ACV is to deal with scalp itchies. Lemon juice didn't have that benefit.

Actually, that particular rosewater has citric acid as a preservative. The OP is very clever to have noticed that. Citric acid is commonly recommended as a fragrance-less substitute for vinegar. So if the OP makes up a vinegar rinse that works well, she can compare that pH to the rosewater's pH, and she can see if the rosewater would do the job on her hair.

torrilin
May 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Um, that's why you'd check the pH. Most people who use vinegar rinses use very dilute ones. Store bought vinegar is 5% acetic acid, and it typically gets diluted somewhere in a 1:100 to 10:100 ratio before you'd use it on hair. That's really really low acidity.

ravenreed
May 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I use about 1:8. It is still pretty strong, as I said.

Um, that's why you'd check the pH. Most people who use vinegar rinses use very dilute ones. Store bought vinegar is 5% acetic acid, and it typically gets diluted somewhere in a 1:100 to 10:100 ratio before you'd use it on hair. That's really really low acidity.

leilasahhar
May 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
@Akilina I dont know why I can't respond on my profile? :)) Anyway I know what you mean, I have to order most of my stuff online too. Im stuck in Oklahoma at least your in California!

barely.there
May 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
hmm. I got a batch of dried rose buds for really cheap at a local health food store (like a couple bucks). I usually put them in my tea, but a recipe idea would be to chop them up, and then let them sit in the ACV/regular vinegar for a couple weeks, shaking/stirring occasionally. then strain and store for use.

akilina
May 26th, 2012, 10:47 PM
@Akilina I dont know why I can't respond on my profile? :)) Anyway I know what you mean, I have to order most of my stuff online too. Im stuck in Oklahoma at least your in California!
Oh wow! Hmm I wonder if I could find it around here. I live in a town called Ukiah its in Mendocino county :]

Slug Yoga
May 27th, 2012, 04:42 AM
What effects is rose water supposed to have on the hair (besides, I imagine, making it smell really good? And besides whatever effects any preservatives or additional ingredients would have).

Wildcat Diva
May 27th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure of any of the effects, but I plan on using them as described earlier in this thread, as a nice base to use to mist my hair/ face, adding other ingredients as needed. I also thought about misting my hair with it and using the heat cap I am going to try for a few minutes/ few times a week as well, to see if can stimulate some growth using the heat, but not thinking th rosewater has any benefit for that, just as a nice way to mist my hair so the heat cap won't dry it out. (I am trying all kinds of things I am reading about on here LOL). I just purchased rosewater off amazon, and I am sure it was way more pricey than finding them in some Asian market somewhere. I find the rose smell very pleasing, so using it is like a endulgence and pampering thing for me.

Labellemaldo
May 27th, 2012, 06:13 AM
One of my favorite YouTube gurus has a recipe on rose water and the benefits of using it. I'm going to try this tomorrow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWkwurYKpO4&sns=em

Her latest video, another good one on removing buildup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZebSmWtThw&sns=em

Wildcat Diva
May 27th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Well she does make some interesting claims about rosewater in that youtube video. Stimulates scalp and promotes growth? I'm in. I was planning on using it anyway with my heat cap so that's a bonus. Can't hurt.