PDA

View Full Version : no tie, clip, stick or pin updo!

Bagginslover
May 26th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I was sceptical when I saw the title, but look!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA&feature=related
She puts her hair up with nothing to secure it at all!! Has anyone tried this?

fridgee
May 26th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Wow that's such a good idea! Thanks for sharing the video :flower:

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2012, 02:49 AM
That is so cool thank you for sharing!!

luxepiggy
May 26th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I did something very similar a couple of weeks ago to secure a half-up porkbun (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/makeup/splendiferousbun2.jpg

lundmir
May 26th, 2012, 03:56 AM
My mom does a knot thing I could never recreate. Her hair is coarse and wavy, mine is super straight, fine and slippery. And we both have short hair right now so I can't show you...

I can't wait until my hair is long enough to try this!

longhairedlady
May 26th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Wow I am gonna try this!

kitekats
May 26th, 2012, 04:15 AM
have done something similar(with and without the pencil part), but it didn't hold the whole day

pepperminttea
May 26th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Tried it, and failed miserably. :p My hair is grippy enough to tangle like the dickens when I'm braiding, but slippery enough that things like this never, ever work.

DarkCurls
May 26th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Tried and succeeded!

Well. Sort of. I'm not sure it's wearable, but all the hair is in there, even my layers, and it's very secure. I think I made the ponytail a bit too high though.

Phexlyn
May 26th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I tried that once, and it pulled on my scalp. Maybe I did it too tightly, but if I did it more losely it fell out again. I'm glad it works for others, though :)

Tota
May 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I tried it once but it pulled my hair too much. I went back to wearing spin pins all the time because that doesn't hurt or pull my hair.

firegypsy
May 26th, 2012, 06:12 AM
wow, that was really cool! thanks for sharing!

torrilin
May 26th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Doesn't hold for me. A Celtic Knot won't hold high up on my head like that, but it does hold by itself at night. I need more length to do it as a nape bun tho. A plain knot bun will work to hold a ponytail for me.

Kelikea
May 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Can anyone with iii thickness do it? I just tried, and my ends are thick and it hurt to try to fold that section of hair over, and it wouldn't hold.

spidermom
May 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Tried it, failed at it.

phabieau
May 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I have been doing this for a long time, mostly in the shower after I condition the length to keep from getting soap in my hair.

tweetylonghair
May 26th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I just watched the video and thought way cool.. I then tried it and it's cool I love it and im sitting here shaking my head and its staying.....thanks soo much for sharing

faellen
May 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
That looks really nice and I imagine it would come in handy when out and you just want to put your hair up and you don't have anything on you.

Using hair accessories is part of the fun for me though!

dwell_in_safety
May 26th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I bet that would work on my hair. I'm going to try it tomorrow. It might not be long enough due to thickness, but I know that it's certainly grabby enough.

Kittyxx
May 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
didn't work for me - I've tried it in the past but thought I'd qattempt it again but no improvement
I do have two things i can do without tools though
first is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KCFRADoX8 and it's worked everytime i've done it
the second is literally a double knot and it doesn't work when my hair straightened, blow dried or superclean

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I had to give it a few tries but I finally got this technique down and it works quite well thank you for sharing!

Alvrodul
May 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I have never managed to get this to work for me.

jacqueline101
May 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I think its interesting.

akilina
May 26th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cool! I like it. I would love to do this in probably 10 years when all my hair is one length. blahhhhh. Cool bun though :D

racrane
May 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Mine's too slippery for this to work, but it's very cool though. :)

SurferB
May 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I used to do this all the time. If I'm correct, I believe the hair can't be too fine, or it may come loose quickly. My hair always stayed like this for hours.

firegypsy
May 26th, 2012, 08:50 PM
tried it and it was fantastic! I'm not sure if it would always work for me, but I had half my hair braided all day yesterday so it was slightly wavy still. held like a charm, and I'm just past shoulder!

teela1978
May 26th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Its never worked for me before... but today I must've magically pulled the magical strand of hair that makes it work. Its cute, I like how it poofs the front up a bit. It wouldn't hold through running I don't think, but not bad for a quick "I'm hot, let me put my hair up" moment... and anyone watching is sure to be impressed :)

Lostsoule77
May 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I don't think that would work for my hair, but I haven't tried it yet. I have my own bun that is more function than form. It also uses nothing to hold it, but is very secure. I use it when I go out dancing and get too hot so I want my hair up. I've done this style for years starting around WL. At around 2-3 inches away from CL I might just be outgrowing it. It's kind of a merge between a cinnamon bun & a knot bun. I'll edit in some pics in a minute because I have this in as my sleep bun atm. :)

Sorry for the dirty mirror, but you can get the point.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/lostsoule/IMG_4191.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/lostsoule/IMG_4193.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/lostsoule/IMG_4192.jpg

hazelscythe
May 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Cool video. Too bad my layers get in the way. I'll keep it in mind when my hair is one length.

elanrach
May 26th, 2012, 11:08 PM
My hair is too long for this one. I've tried twice, and pulling the hair like that makes me think i'm damaging it.