PDA

View Full Version : Beards

hairconvictions
May 25th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hello everyone,
My husband is growing out a beard for the first time (I think) in his adult life and he has been trying to find some answers to a few things and I thought this would be a good place to start! I should say, the beard is going to be fairly short because of his job so that might weight in on some of the answers, I suppose.

How do you keep the hairs laying in the same direction (as opposed to some sticking out perpendicular to his face)?

What are best mechanical products around (trimmers, etc.).
What types of things do you need to keep a tidy beard?

How do you keep away face dandruff? (The body is a wonderful thing, no? :P)

And any other advice on things I haven't thought of is certainly welcome! :)

Thanks in advance.

TheMechaGinger
May 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'm definitely no help here because DBF just shaves the sides of his face with a regular razor and trims his little beard/moustache thing with regular scissors but congrats on the beard growing! They're the best :D

Kaelee
May 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
DBF lets his face scruff (not sure it qualifies as a beard lol) stick out perpendicular...I think it's the cutest. Thing. Ever. :inlove:

ChristineB
May 25th, 2012, 10:29 PM
My boyfriend has a pretty luscious-looking beard. I think the hair direction thing is genetic, and there isn't too much that can be done about it other than trimming the hairs that stick out too much so that they blend in with the rest and comb it often.

All my bf uses is a facial comb and a pair of scissors to trim. He also CO washes to keep it soft.

EdG
May 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
To maintain a short beard (1/2 inch or less), he will need an electric beard trimmer. Of the three beard trimmers I have owned, I like my current Norelco the best; Panasonic was the second best; and Conair was the worst.

Short beard hairs will stick out perpendicular to the skin. The only way around that is to grow them longer.
Ed

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Obviously, I don't have any personal beard experiences. lol However, I think the facial dandruff can be treated with daily moisturizing and massaging? I would assume it'd be around the same concept as taking care of a flaky scalp, sort of. And nothing wrong with a bit of facial massaging, right? ;)

Peter
May 25th, 2012, 10:40 PM
How do you keep the hairs laying in the same direction (as opposed to some sticking out perpendicular to his face)?
Because his beard will be short, some hairs will stick out, period. Can't do anything about that.

What are best mechanical products around (trimmers, etc.).
I've heard good things about Philips Norelco but I've never tried it. Your best bet is to find some reviews online (e.g. Amazon).

What types of things do you need to keep a tidy beard?
Basically just a beard trimmer.

How do you keep away face dandruff? (The body is a wonderful thing, no? :P)
With a short beard, this isn't an issue at all as long as he washes his face semi-regularly.

hairconvictions
May 26th, 2012, 02:54 AM
DH says thank you for all the quick replies. :)
How do you go about learning to cut your own beard with scissors? Any tutorials out there?

Tisiloves
May 26th, 2012, 03:05 AM
How do you go about learning to cut your own beard with scissors? Any tutorials out there?

There are quite a few on YouTube, and for the moustache bit you can pretty much just line up the scissors at the peak of the cupid's bow and snip (or at least that's how my dad trimmed his 'tache).

kitekats
May 26th, 2012, 03:54 AM
oh, I never liked beards, but one can never quarrel about what other people prefer, I guess :)

humble_knight
May 26th, 2012, 04:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2beI3p4LA&feature=plcp

Hope this helps :mrt:

ilandree
May 28th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I love men with beards!

My husband never had a problem with "face dandruff" until he switched jobs (and we moved to a new climate). Though he showers daily and would wash and condition his beard it didn't stop until he started washing it with Head and Shoulders 2 in 1. So I would suggest trying that.