PDA

View Full Version : Really frustrated-'forgot' how to braid!

Bagginslover
May 25th, 2012, 02:26 AM
French braid to be exact. Well, I know how obviously, but my fingers won't co-operate!

I decided I wanted to wear a side french dutch braid today (like the Katniss braid, but I was going to add to it a little...anyway...), but I just couldn't get my fingers to make it right!!
I tried 3 times before I just didn't have time to try anymore, and had to throw it into a ponytail and go to work :(

I am so annoyed at myself!

Tisiloves
May 25th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Plaiting on a diagonal's really different, it's like doing a crown braid. You still know how to plait, I promise. :)

longhairedlady
May 25th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I bet that was frustrating! I just learned how to french braid, did it once, and now I cant seem to do it again!

Bagginslover
May 25th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Thing is, I've done it lots of times! Both times I went to see The Hunger Games I wore it that way, and I've worn it that way on at least 10 other occasions. Just today, I couldn't!
I think I'm having a 'bad fingers day' in general, I can't type today either!!

jasper
May 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM
That is like the reverse of my experience with French braiding. I "knew" how to do it exactly one time (with a book about braiding in my lap) and on all other occasions my fingers and my mind couldn't keep up the connection enough to complete a braid.

Ticky
May 25th, 2012, 04:45 AM
It happens to me sometimes, too, and it is beyond annoying! Just the other night I was trying to make a french braid. I have done it a quite a few times before and so I know that it is possible, but somehow it kept getting messed up :justy:

Slug Yoga
May 25th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I am having the same issue right now, except with updos (bun variations). I pretty much do exactly the same bun every day (no idea what it's called) and I wanted to vary things a bit to give my hair/scalp a break. I'm going through the LHC list of hairstyles, and none of them are working, even ones I've gotten to work before! What the?! Just one of those things, I guess...

rock007junkie
May 25th, 2012, 06:32 AM
One word: YouTube! It has helped me become a master braider

firegypsy
May 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM
One word: YouTube! It has helped me become a master braider

totally.

and some days I find I'm just "off my game" for no discernible reason. I can barely walk let alone braid! It's like the body memory isn't there anymore and I trip on the intellectual part. I do better braiding if I'm not thinking about it.

Like this morning? I did my first REAL full crown braid. Want to know why? I had just oiled my hair and figured I'd play while the oil soaked in, so I had no intention of wearing it. I was waiting to jump in the shower. It came out amazingly well. If I decided to do it now? After the shower, so I could wear it out? I can promise you it won't work.

For you, I think you need to just try again, maybe tonight when you don't have anywhere you have to be. Then your fingers will remember and you can be beautifully braided once more.

spidermom
May 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I know what you're talking about. I've known how to braid for 30 years at least, but some days my fingers go on strike. Or something.

white.chocolate
May 25th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Don't be! You'll get used it after you keep French braiding over and over and over again, then it'll become mechanical. I agree with going on to youtube. It helps a lot.

ladylowtide
May 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I understand completely. For some reason I can only seem to do dutch braids in my own hair. I try to go the other way and my fingers get really weak and the hair just slips right out. :p