PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think till my hair texture is back??

bunzfan
May 25th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I have been co washing for about two years and loved it but a while ago i switched my normal co washing conditioner and after thinking about it thats when i started to seriously hate my hair:(
Its so soft butter would slide right off it i can't braid it because its so soft it sort of slides right down and my natural wavy,wiry texture is gone :wail: i have started to use shampoo again in a bid to dry it out some how long till its back to what it used to be do you think a few weeks??

I shampooed the other day and its still soft but not as bad as it was so i'm hoping in a few weeks it will be back to being poufy ,wavy and wiry.

Emme76
May 25th, 2012, 02:11 AM
With my experience, my hair changes quite fast after I change my routine. I would say no more than a week or two. But every hair is different - but I am sure it won´t be long.
:)

bunzfan
May 25th, 2012, 02:32 AM
With my experience, my hair changes quite fast after I change my routine. I would say no more than a week or two. But every hair is different - but I am sure it won´t be long.
:)

Thank you:) i just washed it with washing up liquid the type you use for washing dishes bad i know but it actually feels like my hair now i wonder if something i was using had some sort of heavy cones in it? i looked is a PEG a cone? i did the braid test and it stayed in a braid much better to and looked it old thickness:D

Iolanthe13
May 25th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Is it possible your hair needs protein?

bunzfan
May 25th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Is it possible your hair needs protein?

I have been using protein conditioner for weeks because it was stretchy i was using this one
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=supersoft+yoghurt++conditioner&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1360&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11584072801902504298&sa=X&ei=alW_T_6TMpSa1AWiovy7Cg&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ
i could feel it stretching when i pulled lightly on a strand. Now i'm not sure what it need but i might go back to CWC i was using the Pantene ice shine shampoo.

Madora
May 25th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Perhaps if you clarified your hair, then applied a diluted version of the conditioner that worked for you before, that might help regarding your hair's texture.

lapushka
May 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM
What if you change your routine so you don't go so long between shampooings? Instead of COing for so long, you might do say CO for a week to two weeks, then shampoo some, then back to COing etc. ... Perhaps that won't make it so soft, and maybe that's a nice balance.

spidermom
May 25th, 2012, 08:33 AM
CO made my hair very limp, also dull. I like CWC for consistent good results. I used to throw a CO into the mix every once in awhile, but I quit.

lapushka
May 25th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I used to CWC, but then I started to shampoo-condition-condition instead and I like it much better. Might seem odd to condition twice in a row after shampooing, but it gets my hair softer than CWC does, and I have pretty damn drying / harsh shampoos (oily hair).

bunzfan
May 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM
CO made my hair very limp, also dull. I like CWC for consistent good results. I used to throw a CO into the mix every once in awhile, but I quit.

I used to CWC, but then I started to shampoo-condition-condition instead and I like it much better. Might seem odd to condition twice in a row after shampooing, but it gets my hair softer than CWC does, and I have pretty damn drying / harsh shampoos (oily hair).

I'm starting to believe that when i started co washing my hair was severely damaged from years of straightening and hair colour so it needed the softness that co washing gave it but maybe it doesn't need it now , as that damage has since been cut out.

Spidermom it made it shiny but also limp after a few days so i think i'm going to try your way or lapushka's i think co washing at every wash it just to much i don't even need to oil it anymore.

Alva
May 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
CO never worked for me either,.. I always do CW and that is it, and an occasional vinegar rinse. I dont like my hair smooth and sleek, like it better when it is somewhat poofy :) Next to that I don't use oils and leave-ins. Am very minimalistic :D

Hollyfire3
May 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Thank you:) i just washed it with washing up liquid the type you use for washing dishes bad i know but it actually feels like my hair now i wonder if something i was using had some sort of heavy cones in it? i looked is a PEG a cone? i did the braid test and it stayed in a braid much better to and looked it old thickness:D

Was the softness making it look/ act thinner?

ratgirldjh
May 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Co washing also changed my hair texture. It was thinner softer and limp and would not stay in a bun - and in a few days it would get drier and drier til I washed again.

I finally figured out that my hair hates conditioner. Now I just use a poo bar and an acid rinse and lightly oil my ends and scalp before washing and at night when needed (ends).

No more limp hair.

Now this all makes sense because for over 20 years before I came on this site I never used conditioner but always used very diluted shampoo and a few drops of rosemary oil on my wet hair so I really had no experience with conditioner since I was a kid.

(note to self) Moral of this story: stick to what works and stop trying new things :shrug::rolleyes::D

bunzfan
May 25th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Was the softness making it look/ act thinner?

I think it possibly was my wavy hair has always been pretty poufy big:D

Co washing also changed my hair texture. It was thinner softer and limp and would not stay in a bun - and in a few days it would get drier and drier til I washed again.

I finally figured out that my hair hates conditioner. Now I just use a poo bar and an acid rinse and lightly oil my ends and scalp before washing and at night when needed (ends).

No more limp hair.

Now this all makes sense because for over 20 years before I came on this site I never used conditioner but always used very diluted shampoo and a few drops of rosemary oil on my wet hair so I really had no experience with conditioner since I was a kid.

(note to self) Moral of this story: stick to what works and stop trying new things :shrug::rolleyes::D

Thanks for telling me your story, last time i tried a vinegar rinse my hair loved it to. I must admit since i have been using that conditioner my scalp has been itching like crazy i just thought it was my scalp playing up again.

Hollyfire3
May 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I think it possibly was my wavy hair has always been pretty poufy big:D

Thanks for telling me your story, last time i tried a vinegar rinse my hair loved it to. I must admit since i have been using that conditioner my scalp has been itching like crazy i just thought it was my scalp playing up again.

I hear you about poofy waves! Does your ponytail go down when its too soft, like right now, or is it the same, mine stays the same, suprisingly, poofy or flat.

longhairedlady
May 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Yep, this works really good for my hair too!

bunzfan
May 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I hear you about poofy waves! Does your ponytail go down when its too soft, like right now, or is it the same, mine stays the same, suprisingly, poofy or flat.

It went from a 3.5 to a 4.1 because i checked :D

Yep, this works really good for my hair too!

Hmm i may have to try this maybe better than co washing for me anyway and i think i will go back to the odd vinegar rinse my waves loved it.

DarkSky
May 26th, 2012, 05:50 AM
It really sound like you need to do a protien treatment. I use this recipie and love it. It makes my hair feel like hair again and not so soft and mushy. Also it will bring back your curls/waves.http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.ca/p/recipes-and-projects.html ... Btw in the recipie there is a section for optional additions. I added 2 tblsp of conditioner. I would avoid mushed banana as I had a hard time with getting it out of my hair lol.

bunzfan
May 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM
It really sound like you need to do a protien treatment. I use this recipie and love it. It makes my hair feel like hair again and not so soft and mushy. Also it will bring back your curls/waves.http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.ca/p/recipes-and-projects.html ... Btw in the recipie there is a section for optional additions. I added 2 tblsp of conditioner. I would avoid mushed banana as I had a hard time with getting it out of my hair lol.

Ohhh thanks for that recipe i don't have any gelatine but i was just wondering about doing a cassia treatment so i mixed 50g with warm water and left it on for 30 minutes so it didn't go to soft. I shampooed it out and conditioned with a wheat protein conditioner and my hair feels wonderful now so fluffy,wavy and voluminous .

I have also heard alma is particularly good if waves are limp after henna which happens to me quite a lot:rolleyes:

Theobroma
May 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM

No more limp hair.

This. So this. I CO'd for a year and a half and then woke up one day and realised I'd lost a significant proportion of my thickness because conditioner on my scalp makes me shed wads. (I kept telling myself the shedding was less than it looked because my hair's up all the time and shed hairs can't come out except during washing or combing. Which is true as far as it goes, but sometimes what looks like excessively high shedding really is excessive. Sigh.)

I'm slightly phobic about conditioner now so I've stopped using it at all. I wash with a mild shampoo and then apply a little EVOO as a leave-in. Result: soft, shiny hair that's easy to comb, doesn't tangle much, and isn't limp. Pretty much the same routine I was following before I found out about CO in the first place, except that back then it was jojoba and not EVOO.

To answer the OP's question: my texture returned to its previous state within a few washes. Call it three weeks or so, since I typically wash every five days.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
The only thing I can tell you is to keep notes on progress see which method gives you the best results.

McFearless
June 4th, 2012, 12:08 AM
It could also be the length and henna.

bunzfan
June 4th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone thats posted and tried to help i think i may have found the problem. I was using Daktarin on and off for the past two years to help me gain a bit more length and i've only just realised it has paraffin oil in it so probably major build up.

I clarified with baby shampoo and vinegar and on the next wash i did a co wash with my old co-washing conditioner i think i'm going to stick with shampooing one wash and the next wash co washing my scalp seems a lot happier and at least the shedding has stopped my scalp loves these vinegar rinses though it no longer itches like mad:disco: