PDA

View Full Version : Thin ends - help!

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I need some advice for my ends. :( I had a haircut only 3 months ago, and it looked perfectly healthy after the cut. You can see the pictures in my album. But now, 3 months later, I have at least 5 cm of thin ends. They are not dry or anything, just thin. :(

Why does this keep happening? In the past, I often had tho have a lot cut off when I was at the hairdresser, and my hair will never be long again if I keep cutting off more hair than I grow.

What can I do to prevent this? I am very gentle with my hair. I use a shampoo and conditioner with no cones, low sulfates and avocado oil. I don't use heat, except when at the hairdresser. I use a wide tooth comb (the right way), and only brush it once in a while, very carefully.

Last time my ends looked decent, I only had 1 or 1.5 cm cut off. I used cones, and it was only two and a half month after my last haircut. Could it be, that my hair just prefers cones?

Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help. I really hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. :o

gazelle
May 25th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Do you have shedding?

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Do you have shedding?

I do shed a lot, but I always have. It is not a medical condition.

Bagginslover
May 25th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Have you looked to see if the shorter ends are broken, or new?

If they are broken your hair could be missing something thats making it brittle. If they are new it could be that you are simply shedding out all the longer hairs and you just need to wait it out.

Not much help as it is, but have a look, then people might be able to suggest more specific things to help :)

longhairedlady
May 25th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Are they hairs that are growing faster than the others? I get that in certain areas.

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Have you looked to see if the shorter ends are broken, or new?

If they are broken your hair could be missing something thats making it brittle. If they are new it could be that you are simply shedding out all the longer hairs and you just need to wait it out.

Not much help as it is, but have a look, then people might be able to suggest more specific things to help :)

They look healthy enough, that is why it is so wired. :confused: I have no split ends, and they are not dry. Just thin. I would upload a picture, but LHC won't let me. I don't think it is hair growing faster than others, my hair grows painfully slow.

Slug Yoga
May 25th, 2012, 06:06 AM
They look healthy enough, that is why it is so wired. :confused: I have no split ends, and they are not dry. Just thin. I would upload a picture, but LHC won't let me. I don't think it is hair growing faster than others, my hair grows painfully slow.

Hm. I know you said you don't think it's the case, but since it looks healthy, I wonder if it isn't just that the very bottom of your hemline is irregular due to slightly different growth rates? Have you tried keeping your hair with the "thin ends" for a few months to see if it evens out, or else see if the "rest" of your hair eventually grows out to where the thin ends were, even if the very ends are still thin? (If that makes sense)

Although it's frustrating, if you're growing your hair out, the longest part is always going to be the thinnest. Those are the oldest hairs on your head, that have been there the longest; the rest of your hairs are at different growth stages, and might be perfectly healthy and thriving, but just haven't reached the hemline yet. It takes additional time for the majority of your hairs to reach a particular length.

I used to be concerned that my hair was "thinning" compared to past years, because there was a lot of taper... but actually, I think it was just that I was growing my hair straight out without a lot of trims, whereas before I had maintained it at a long length for years, so more of my hairs got the chance to "catch up." I have noticed that the thickness is gradually moving down the length of my hair as I continue to grow it.

I doubt you're doing anything "wrong." I would just keep growing without trims (or with very minimal trims) and see what happens! And if you are self-conscious about the ends looking thin maybe try different hairstyles so that that doesn't show as much?

Bagginslover
May 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Do you measure? I think that might be your best indicator in this case as to what is happening.
If you are getting 5 CM growth since your last cut, but the ends are thin, but healthy, then you just have some speedy hairs.
If you are getting just 1 cm growth (as an example) but 5 cm of unevenness, then you have breakage too (unless you are losing thickness too, then its shedding).

I really hope you figure it out :confused:

spidermom
May 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Some hairs grow faster than others on most heads. Regular small trims (example - 1/2 inch every 3-4 months) will hold the fastest growing hairs back enough to let slower-growing hairs catch up. You'll still gain length.

bumblebums
May 25th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Some hairs grow faster than others on most heads. Regular small trims (example - 1/2 inch every 3-4 months) will hold the fastest growing hairs back enough to let slower-growing hairs catch up. You'll still gain length.

Yep. The same thing happened to me at the stage that OP is in, and thickness did grow down.

Babyfine
May 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I wonder if it isn't because your hair is wavy/wurly.
I looked at your album and your hair is very pretty, btw!
I think the ends on wavy/curly hair tend to separate and twist around and not hang together like a curtain the way straighter hair does-making the ends look thin when they're not.
I know my hair(2a/2b) does this, though my hair really is on the thin side-yours does not look thin.

Silverbrumby
May 25th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I noticed you have rather curly hair but the signature photo and quite a few in the album are straight. How often do you straighten? Do you flat iron as well to get it that straight.

I think your hair looks lovely both straight and curly but I'm wondering if the stress of straightening to that degree when you get it cut is weakening the ends.

1. How often do you cut your hair?

2. Does the hairdresser blow fry and flat iron it each time?

That's the only thing that jumps out at me. I effectively fried most of my hair when a year and 1/2 ago I decided I was tired of my frizz/curl and went to the hairdresser to have it cut and straightened in the chair. She did a fabulous job. I had that perfect smooth flowing hair for days. I when back two months later and again good results but not as good. I bought a flat iron at home.

After each time my hair got weaker and responded less to this treatment. The length and ends got thin. It's been over a year now and I've been flat iron free and rarely blow fry.

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I noticed you have rather curly hair but the signature photo and quite a few in the album are straight. How often do you straighten? Do you flat iron as well to get it that straight.

I think your hair looks lovely both straight and curly but I'm wondering if the stress of straightening to that degree when you get it cut is weakening the ends.

1. How often do you cut your hair?

2. Does the hairdresser blow fry and flat iron it each time?

That's the only thing that jumps out at me. I effectively fried most of my hair when a year and 1/2 ago I decided I was tired of my frizz/curl and went to the hairdresser to have it cut and straightened in the chair. She did a fabulous job. I had that perfect smooth flowing hair for days. I when back two months later and again good results but not as good. I bought a flat iron at home.

After each time my hair got weaker and responded less to this treatment. The length and ends got thin. It's been over a year now and I've been flat iron free and rarely blow fry.

I almost never straighten or blow-dry, only when I go to the hairdresser once every 3 months or so. And yes, she does blow fry and flat iron every time. I don't really mind it though, it is nice to see your true hair length every once in a while, and it is not that often. :)

I used to flat iron every day until it was around shoulder length though. Maybe that is the hair at my ends now? I did have a lot of 5 cm chops in the past 2,5 years since I have been growing it out.

This time, I will go to a new hairdresser with curly hair, I hope she will know how to take care of my hair (last time, i think she ripped half of my hair out, she literally acted as if she was trying to destroy my hair)

Anyways, thank you for all your advice, I feel a little better now. :) But more advice is always welcome.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I need some advice for my ends. :( I had a haircut only 3 months ago, and it looked perfectly healthy after the cut. You can see the pictures in my album. But now, 3 months later, I have at least 5 cm of thin ends. They are not dry or anything, just thin. :(

Why does this keep happening? In the past, I often had tho have a lot cut off when I was at the hairdresser, and my hair will never be long again if I keep cutting off more hair than I grow.

What can I do to prevent this? I am very gentle with my hair. I use a shampoo and conditioner with no cones, low sulfates and avocado oil. I don't use heat, except when at the hairdresser. I use a wide tooth comb (the right way), and only brush it once in a while, very carefully.

Last time my ends looked decent, I only had 1 or 1.5 cm cut off. I used cones, and it was only two and a half month after my last haircut. Could it be, that my hair just prefers cones?

Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help. I really hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. :o

Your Avatar pix shows very curly hair. Your signature pix shows dead straight hair? Are you flat ironing your hair, or something like that? hmmmm. I can't figure out which is your head of hair?

First things first, thinner ends are normal for everyone pretty much. The taper of hair results in fairly thinning ends. For some it's worse than others. Depends in part if you trim your hair, which you do. So part of this may be just accepting what you've got.

If both pictures are you, and you're using heat on your hair, this could be contributing to your problem. Flat ironing creates loads of what we call white dots, and makes the hair extremely fragile. A white dot is a weak spot in the hair and very often can be a broken hair where that white dot is. You might rethink flat ironing, if that's something you're doing.

You may need to find a better conditioner to help your hair.

I don't have any good recommendations for overcoming Mother Nature and her propensity to create thinner ends. Even me, even though it may not look like it, I have quite thin ends. I just keep my hair trimmed at mid-calf so you can't see it quite so easily, but if you saw it, you'd just nod your head and say, Oh, I see. It's just part of the deal for just about everyone. There's always an exception, but remember that's an exception.

The biggest thing I do is wear hair up almost all the time, keeping my ends tucked away from abuse, such as from wind, getting caught in something, rubbing on onpleasantness, and the like. Plus this long, it can get in the way of a lot of stuff. Just sitting on a chair or getting in/out of a car, this length is a whole extra step to consider in ordinary, every day things. So up is easier overall.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I almost never straighten or blow-dry, only when I go to the hairdresser once every 3 months or so. And yes, she does blow fry and flat iron every time. I don't really mind it though, it is nice to see your true hair length every once in a while, and it is not that often. :)

I used to flat iron every day until it was around shoulder length though. Maybe that is the hair at my ends now? I did have a lot of 5 cm chops in the past 2,5 years since I have been growing it out.

This time, I will go to a new hairdresser with curly hair, I hope she will know how to take care of my hair (last time, i think she ripped half of my hair out, she literally acted as if she was trying to destroy my hair)

Anyways, thank you for all your advice, I feel a little better now. :) But more advice is always welcome.

If you go with curly hair, do not let her wash it. You wash it at home, detangle, and present her with dry hair to trim. Otherwise, it's too easy to take off too much if you don't know how to handle curly hair. You might like to check out Devashon Salon and her curly hair care products of low- no- poo Shampoos. For curly haired folks, sulfates are the problem for curls, not so much cones. At least that's what I understand. She can spritz on some dampness at the hemline, but she shouldn't slather it in wetness.

heidi w.

Silverbrumby
May 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
...'This time, I will go to a new hairdresser with curly hair, I hope she will know how to take care of my hair (last time, i think she ripped half of my hair out, she literally acted as if she was trying to destroy my hair)

In 2 1/2 years you probably have grown 15 inches of hair since you stopped all the flat ironing yourself. There is still 5 to 8 inches of damaged hair from that time growing out.

Then you have been going every 3 months to get your hair cut and those damaged ends are getting blasted again by the blow dryer, rough handling, flat iron. It's no wonder they might just be breaking off. The ends do get more wear and tear I think.

So the 15 inches of hair on top are getting blasted with heat (have you ever touched a flat iron) every 3 months. This might even weaken that hair.

What I do now is either trim myself or get a friend to trim my hair. I don't have dead straight hair so my ends are ok not begin perfectly even. I fairy tail and I bet you do as well especially when the ends get longer.

I'd recommend getting someone to cut your hair OR go in with wet combed out hair to the hairdressers and just have them cut your hair. No blow drying and no flat ironing.

If you find in 3 months your ends are not as thin this might be the way to go. Leave the super straight hair for maybe once a year getting the full salon treatment but remember, any heat damaged hair is permanent and that hair will always be a little weaker. I think flat irons are the worst device for hair ever. Unless you have super strong hair which some of my friends do have and can do evil things and it just keeps growing lol.

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
If you go with curly hair, do not let her wash it. You wash it at home, detangle, and present her with dry hair to trim. Otherwise, it's too easy to take off too much if you don't know how to handle curly hair. You might like to check out Devashon Salon and her curly hair care products of low- no- poo Shampoos. For curly haired folks, sulfates are the problem for curls, not so much cones. At least that's what I understand. She can spritz on some dampness at the hemline, but she shouldn't slather it in wetness.

heidi w.

Yes, it is my natural hair in my avatar pic, while my signature picture shows my hair after my last trip to the hairdresser. This time I am going to a hairdresser who have curly hair herself, and hopefully understand it better. :)

But one question: why is sulfates bad for curly hair? I have heard that cones is bad for your hair (even though my hair seem to like it) but what about sulfates?

1nuitblanche
May 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Do you keep your hair in protective styles more of the time? You might want to bun it or braid it... You could also get creative with a scarf so that the last few centimetres are covered instead of rubbing or blown by the wind.

If your hair liked cones, why don't you go back to them? From what I understand, you can use either cones or oils to help create a barrier between your hair and everything else, to keep moisture levels optimal and to help guard against normal wear and tear.

torrilin
May 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM
But one question: why is sulfates bad for curly hair? I have heard that cones is bad for your hair (even though my hair seem to like it) but what about sulfates?

Most people with curly hair have fairly dry skin. This includes the skin on their scalp.

"sulfates" in this context means detergents like sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate. These are quite strong detergents, so if there's anything oily on your hair or skin, it gets removed. The same detergents are used to clean up oil spills when an oil tanker is shipwrecked.

I don't know that I'd say all curly haired people should avoid them. They're a very simple detergent, and most people don't react badly to them. They're *very* well tested. Using a diluted shampoo with one of these detergents is often fine for a curly haired person. The problem comes more when you use a lot of shampoo, or when you shampoo more often than is appropriate for how dry your skin is. A shampoo does not clean better just because it makes a thick, foamy lather... and if you have dry skin, that thick foamy lather can actually mean the shampoo is irritating your skin by stripping it of all oil.

Anyway, as far as silicon derived ingredients go... some of them are designed to only be removed by these sorts of strong detergents. It's not good for our hair to have a thick coating of ingredients that can't be absorbed or washed off on it. A silicon derived ingredient that washes off with just water, or with a mild detergent like those found in many conditioners is not a problem.

Silverbrumby
May 25th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Yes, it is my natural hair in my avatar pic, while my signature picture shows my hair after my last trip to the hairdresser. This time I am going to a hairdresser who have curly hair herself, and hopefully understand it better. :)

My hair likes cones on the ends and it helps with the frizz. I'm just more careful with it nowadays and clarify with conditioner only on my hair 30 minutes before washing. I found this works best for my particular type of hair.

I've discovered leave in conditioner for my curl ends which has really helped with the frizz. More so than oil or cones.

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding silly, don't worry about the thin ends so much. Your hair is long enough to do the self trim methods of trimming the ends. http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim Just let it grow most of the time and do a quick, tiny trim of the very ends that are in reality your fastest growing hairs. Your hair dresser straightens your hair before a trim, don't do this. When your hair curls back up, those ends are all gonna look uneven and thinner instantly. The spring in your hair is not a bad thing, you just are never gonna have the ends all line up and be counted as even. Doing a self trim of your hair dry with its curls in will give a more even looking edge for everyday wear. Look for a stylist who won't straighten your hair or try to wet cut it but wants to take into account your natural curls and how they will look dry. It takes skill to give curls edges when they are dry and springy but all the short cuts like straightening it or wetting it will make it look all nice and even in that condition but not in the state you are gonna be sporting it, dry and curly. Your best bet is to learn to self trim at this point.

Oubli
August 29th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Switching to filtered water for hair washing and care helped my ends not thin out so much. I think if your water is high is certain chemicals, minerals etc ( for example my H20 is high in Chlorine) it can wreck havoc with the oldest parts of your hair ie the ends because they have been exposed to it the longest.