PDA

View Full Version : Hair isn't what it used to be...please help!!

ChristineB
May 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone,

So...I've been a long-time lurker of LHC and have learned a lot of really helpful stuff. But I still had some questions and figured it's better to make a thread.

Background:

Have had long hair almost my whole life. I have never dyed my hair, and at it's longest (and most luxurious) it was basically "virgin" hair. Never any chemical products other than shampoo/conditioner.

Then, one day I went to the hairdresser so that she could trim it, and she basically cut a foot of my hair off! :steam

To top it off, she took a thinning razor to my hair which in turn made it very broken and frizzy. Needless to say, I was very mad...

This was a few years ago, and I have worked hard to grow it out, trim it, back and forth so that it can grow healthy again. But lately my hair just hasn't been the same, even though I've re-grown most of it. I'm stuck with relatively normal to greasy roots (not to the point that it's super oily) and the rest being quite dry. The only way I can get my hair to fall properly and to stay tame is when it has a lot of argan oil and/or frizz serum in it.

I have been doing CO washes for awhile, and if I do use shampoo it is sulfate-free.

I honestly just want to get my beautiful hair back to what it was :( Right now it is waist-length, very thick, and I haven't touched any heat products to it for quite a few years. I just need that silkiness and shine back!

Anyone else have similar experiences? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

Natalia
May 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hi everyone,

So...I've been a long-time lurker of LHC and have learned a lot of really helpful stuff. But I still had some questions and figured it's better to make a thread.

Background:

Have had long hair almost my whole life. I have never dyed my hair, and at it's longest (and most luxurious) it was basically "virgin" hair. Never any chemical products other than shampoo/conditioner.

Then, one day I went to the hairdresser so that she could trim it, and she basically cut a foot of my hair off! :steam

To top it off, she took a thinning razor to my hair which in turn made it very broken and frizzy. Needless to say, I was very mad...

This was a few years ago, and I have worked hard to grow it out, trim it, back and forth so that it can grow healthy again. But lately my hair just hasn't been the same, even though I've re-grown most of it. I'm stuck with relatively normal to greasy roots (not to the point that it's super oily) and the rest being quite dry. The only way I can get my hair to fall properly and to stay tame is when it has a lot of argan oil and/or frizz serum in it.

I have been doing CO washes for awhile, and if I do use shampoo it is sulfate-free.

I honestly just want to get my beautiful hair back to what it was :( Right now it is waist-length, very thick, and I haven't touched any heat products to it for quite a few years. I just need that silkiness and shine back!

Anyone else have similar experiences? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

im sorry for your bad experiance glad youve been able to grow it out again. its not a cure all but i have yet to find a good long smt to hurt. apply to dampened or dry hair cover with a shower cap and a hot towel if you really want to pamper and leave on for 2+ hours rine out and hopefully have happier hair. best of luck!

Kaelee
May 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM
What were you doing before when it was so long? If you just started doing the CO/etc when you started trying to grow your hair long agin, there's a good chance your hair just doesn't like what you're doing.

The 'right' methods don't work for everyone, so if it was working before try doing whatever you were doing again and see if it helps. :)

I shampoo my hair daily with cones and sulfites and only use conditioner once a week...my hair is in such great shape my stylist can't believe it! :)

ChristineB
May 24th, 2012, 06:56 PM
@Natalia - thanks for the suggestion!

What were you doing before when it was so long? If you just started doing the CO/etc when you started trying to grow your hair long agin, there's a good chance your hair just doesn't like what you're doing.

The 'right' methods don't work for everyone, so if it was working before try doing whatever you were doing again and see if it helps. :)

I shampoo my hair daily with cones and sulfites and only use conditioner once a week...my hair is in such great shape my stylist can't believe it! :)

Good point. Before I just used to use Garnier products. Used a lot of conditioner, never deep conditioned all that often (maybe a couple times a year with avocado/EVOO/egg). I didn't wash my hair super often though. To be honest I never really took that great care of my hair. But I always got a lot of compliments on how beautiful it was with no effort.

Although, I can't see how my hair wouldn't like getting oil treatments and such. Seems like that could benefit anyone, no?

Vampyria
May 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Have you done some clarifying in between?

Some time ago I washed my hair as usual. First SLS and SLES free shampoo and then my favorite conditioner, that always made my hair really soft. But after my hair was rough and dry. First I thought, that there is something wrong with the conditioner. Then I remembered that a lot of people here talks about the build up.

So I used my mother's shampoo that cleans really well and before that I used a green clay as a mask. And my hair is really soft and shines again.

julierockhead
May 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM
its not a cure all but i have yet to find a good long smt to hurt. apply to dampened or dry hair cover with a shower cap and a hot towel if you really want to pamper and leave on for 2+ hours rine out and hopefully have happier hair. best of luck!
This! SMT is probably a good quick fix for now, until you develop a plan of experimentation. Might be your hair isn't that fond of argan oil, mine hates it and rebels - Nightblooming on etsy sells sample size vials of lots of different oils, plus she's cool. :)

torrilin
May 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Although, I can't see how my hair wouldn't like getting oil treatments and such. Seems like that could benefit anyone, no?

If the treatment can't absorb... it's not doing a bit of good, and it may take rougher handling to remove it than you'd otherwise use. And depending on your hair type, it may be that most fancy treatments won't absorb. Fine haired types often find oiling doesn't work well except in minute quantities, and some sturdier hair types won't absorb anything unless their hair is damaged.

Hair varies. If the changes you've made aren't working well, go back to what worked.

Faux
May 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Razoring can really make your hair split. Maybe you haven't recovered from that yet. Is it just your ends or your whole head?

ChristineB
May 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Have you done some clarifying in between?

Some time ago I washed my hair as usual. First SLS and SLES free shampoo and then my favorite conditioner, that always made my hair really soft. But after my hair was rough and dry. First I thought, that there is something wrong with the conditioner. Then I remembered that a lot of people here talks about the build up.

So I used my mother's shampoo that cleans really well and before that I used a green clay as a mask. And my hair is really soft and shines again.

Never done clarifying. What are some good shampoos that you could recommend?

This! SMT is probably a good quick fix for now, until you develop a plan of experimentation. Might be your hair isn't that fond of argan oil, mine hates it and rebels - Nightblooming on etsy sells sample size vials of lots of different oils, plus she's cool. :)

Perhaps. I just recently started using the argan oil, so I think it's a bit too early to tell whether it's the oil that my hair is resisting.

If the treatment can't absorb... it's not doing a bit of good, and it may take rougher handling to remove it than you'd otherwise use. And depending on your hair type, it may be that most fancy treatments won't absorb. Fine haired types often find oiling doesn't work well except in minute quantities, and some sturdier hair types won't absorb anything unless their hair is damaged.

Hair varies. If the changes you've made aren't working well, go back to what worked.

I have very thick hair. The strands are like thread really. I did a very deep oiling the other night, and while my hair feels a lot softer and silkier than normal, it's still not where I want it to be. But maybe I'm just very impatient :(

Do you think oiling more often in the beginning (couple times a week) would help?

ChristineB
May 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Side-note: While it was mentioned I should go back to what I was doing, seeing how my hair is now I really don't think it would work...actually I know it wouldn't. It seems like when I had "virgin hair", it reacted a lot differently than it does now to temperature, product, etc. Does that make sense or am I getting it wrong? :/

Wish I would have learned better hair care from the start. Darn it.

ChristineB
May 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Razoring can really make your hair split. Maybe you haven't recovered from that yet. Is it just your ends or your whole head?

You could be right :( It's mostly my ends, but they look pretty healthy. When I went to a hair dresser recently for a trim she said my hair was very healthy, it just lacked proper moisture. I don't have split ends or anything.

Silverbrumby
May 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
What about trying a leave in conditioner on the ends then a tiny amount of oil? I haven't read all the other replies so I might be repeating myself.

Vampyria
May 25th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Never done clarifying. What are some good shampoos that you could recommend?

I use this for clarifying: http://www.codecheck.info/kosmetische_mittel/haarpflege/shampoo/ean_4010355660374/id_372726/Alverde_Sensitiv_Shampoo_Birke_Salbei.pro

It's natural and this one has no alcohol in it, like others from Alverde. But I think it's not available outside the Europe. I only use it when my hair feels really weird, because using it too much could dry it.

If you don't mind sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate, any shampoo without silicons and oils would be alright.

This is one example:
Balea Pure + Fresh ingredients:
AQUA · SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE · COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE · GLYCERIN · SODIUM CHLORIDE · CITRIC ACID · COCO-GLUCOSIDE · PARFUM · BETAINE · SODIUM BENZOATE · HYDROXYPROPYL GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE · CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE · PANTHENOL · MENTHOL · POTASSIUM SORBATE · LACTIC ACID.

Charybdis
May 25th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Yes, I think clarifying is a good idea. I've used Neutrogena's Anti-Residue Shampoo before. A lot of people on here seem to like the Joico K-Pak Chelating Shampoo, which (as I understand it) both clarifies product buildup and removes mineral deposits.

Have you moved to an area with harder water? I've been noticing that the minerals in the water where I am right now have been causing some issues, and I've been trying to combat it by doing a final rinse with filtered water, sometimes with lemon juice added.

Also, if your hair was happy using 'cones, you might want to try that again and just do an occasional clarifying shampoo to combat any buildup. I have to use shampoos with sulfates on my scalp due to seborrheic dermatitis, and as a result my hair is far too tangly if I don't use some amount of 'cones. I usually do this: 1) a prewash heavy oiling, 2) wet my hair in the shower, 3) scrunch conditioner through the length, 4) shampoo my scalp, 5) rinse my scalp and rinse the suds through the length, 6) apply more conditioner, 7) do a final rinse with filtered water. It seems like a lot of steps, but it's not actually that time consuming. If my hair seems really thirsty, I'll dampen it before the prewash oiling.

Hope you find a routine that makes your hair happy!

LadyHazel
May 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM
My take is:
The more you look at your hair the worst it looks (just like stariing too hard at your face in a mirror)
The less you do to it the better
Go back to your old routine regardless of what people are telling you because everyones individual and if it was working before it might work now
Sit in the light and scan your ends individually RIGHT UP the hair shaft, splits can occur high
Try and wear it up as much as possible to 'forget' about it- sometimes neglecting your hair can be the best thing that ever happens to it!

spidermom
May 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM
So you had it razored a few years ago? Depending on how fast your hair grows, your hair should have recovered completely from scalp to what? APL? BSL? Just keep trimming the bottom. The razored stuff will eventually be gone.

spookyghost
May 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I agree with everyone who says to go back to your original routine that seemed to work for your hair. You said you basically didnt do much to it and maybe thats what your hair needs. I also agree with what works for some wont work for others! I am in the process of trying to find a hair regimen that works for me and its not that easy. Like oiling. I think my hair doesnt like oiling. I figured-how can it not?:lol: But I am now, to my disappointment, stopping oiling my hair to see how that goes. Just dont try too much at one time. That will make matters worse. You wont be able to tell whats working and whats not. Write notes in a tablet too so you remember what worked and what didnt. Good luck!

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM
One, hair does not remain the same the whole of one's life. Over time, it may vary in volume (or thickness), in color, in texture, even.

Second, I'm assuming you have no health issues.

Third, how's the water in your area? Is it essentially good, or is it a bit on the hard side? If you live in a house, might I suggest looking in to softening the water. Your skin will be less dry and your hair will appreciate it as well. Apartment, visit a hardware supply store and install a shower head water filter. They have them, and it does help. If you soften house water, and can afford it, get a good filter mechanism for filtering out pure(r) water. Not the best idea to drink softened water. Only need to filter in the kitchen probably.

Don't water plants with filtered water. My softener came with a way to stop it from filtering if I'm watering outdoors.

Third, people with long hair usually at some point end up with overly "wet" head and overly dry length. How do we balance the two extremes out? By oiling the length. By Boar Bristle Brushing to create super soft and smooth length. Do one thing at a time, start by oiling the length somehow. I created a youtube tutorial regarding how I oil, but if you have curlier hair than I do, you may have to spritz oil on while your hair is still wet or damp.

ETA: When I condition, I do NOT EVER apply to scalp skin hair. I have Seborrheic Dermatitus and I have plenty of sebum to handle the top of my head down to around 6-8 inches. The rest, the length, is what I oil and condition. NO hair associated with my scalp skin is touched by conditioner or oil. END ETA

Oh, and I'm sure you now know to not sit in a chair and let them do whatever they want without consulting first and without building a trusting relationship with a hairdresser first. Some people are cut happy and will go bonkers on long hair. One must do their homework first, and be very careful when making a decision to visit a dresser. There ARE good hairdressers out there, but you just have to do your homework. I'm sorry that happened to you. That was quite unfortunate.

Heidi W. oiling youtube video...covering detangling, BBBing, oiling, and an updo that mid-back length on down can likely create.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Hope this is somehow helpful.

heidi w.

Hollyfire3
May 25th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I hope you get this all figured out, I haven't read the whole thread so if I'm repeating, I'm sorry. Maybe try clarifying them doing a DT? And if you try oil, start with only a little bit at a time. Also, you say your hair is thick but label it i/ii, confused....:confused: For shine, maybe some coney serum for the time being before you find a permanent solution? After you clarify of course.

ChristineB
May 25th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions everyone! I will definitely give everything thought and look into clarifying. As far as going back to my original routine, I really don't think it would work for my hair at this point in time. I had tried going back to just shampoo/conditioner for awhile but it just hasn't been the same since the razoring. I've inspected my hair completely and I am split-free.

The water at the place I'm at is city water, so I guess it must have a lot of stuff in it that my hair doesn't need. But perhaps clarifying will help with that.

Has anyone used just a vinegar and/or baking soda wash for clarifying? Does it work well? I've never done one before.

Vampyria
May 27th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I tried it, but my hair didn't like it very much. I did them together. My hair was shine less, felt like straw and started breaking. And my scalp didn't feel clean at all. But every hair is different and some like it. I think there is a thread about this on the forums.

Laululintu
May 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM

What works (or doesn't work) for a person's hair is huge subjective, and may change over time as well.

I have to fine tune my routine depending on the time of year, the climate and I also have to take the water supply into account, particularly if I move.

If your hair did well on your old routine, then perhaps going back to it might be a good idea.

Good luck!

BlazingHeart
May 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Baking soda is relatively harsh, so I'd hesitate to use it.

You said you've switched to CO and used to use Garnier products...do you remember what Garnier line you used?

If you used the Fructis line, that's a line that has silicones in it. If you do well with silicones, removing them would likely make your hair feel less silky.

~Blaze

heidi w.
May 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
If your hair has been recently razored, I would not suggest clarifying with a home recipe. By the way, vinegar does not clarify off the hair whatever has dried on the hair. You can test your water -- go to the hardware store and buy a water test kit. You can also call your city water maintenance/supplier people and inquire if the local water is a hard or whatever. You can ask whatever you want, and it's free. The city typically puts out an annual report on its water showing that city water is in compliance with the protocols and standards of "good" water.

I would suggest finding a clarifying hair product, where clarifying is part of the title of the product. That word should be on the front of the bottle somewhere, perhaps, in smaller print under the main title of that shampoo product name.

For those who do not know, once you clarify be sure to follow with a good conditioning session: one MUST replace what's been removed OR hair will end up dry, kind of straw-ish feeling, and pretty darned tangly.

To be honest, though, I don't see any evidence in this thread by the OP that suggests clarifying is needed. I'm not hearing anything that suggests that buildup is a problem. So, frankly, I don't think clarifying is necessary.

Loads of people specify that they clarify once a month or once a week or on some kind of routine schedule, and for the most part, unless there's a specific reason one is doing this, clarifying ONLY needs to be performed on an as-needed basis. It should be approached with some trepidation; the way one should approach protein treatments on the hair. Protein treatments, for the most part, for most people, are unnecessary and if you have too much protein applied ON the hair, you can actually end up with a problem of hair breaking off. So a good idea that can go bad. Just clarify ONLY when it's absolutely necessary; you won't prevent anything really by doing it regularly.
heidi w.

heidi w.
May 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Baking soda is relatively harsh, so I'd hesitate to use it.

You said you've switched to CO and used to use Garnier products...do you remember what Garnier line you used?

If you used the Fructis line, that's a line that has silicones in it. If you do well with silicones, removing them would likely make your hair feel less silky.

~Blaze

Yes, Baking Soda can be harsh. Allow me to say very clearly that I do NOT recommend this as a hair washing shampoo to be used every time one hair washes. I use it only when I need to clarify. If one clarifies, generally, everything is stripped off of the hair, silicones, conditioner, anything that gives weight or condition to the hair -- it's all off, and hair is left essentially naked. But if you end up with hair like this in the wake of clarifying then the news is that you basically did it right. All you may have forgotten to do is condition the hair; thereby replacing what's been removed. Hair that wasn't conditioned basically ends up feeling a little weird after being clarified. Because there's nothing at all on the hair to help it feel conditioned; it also behaves a lot diferent: hair is more tangly, feels quite brittle, may be fly away or a bit frizzy....that kind of thing. Nothing is wrong. Clarifying worked. You just merely need to condition the hair.

For those for whom Baking Soda doesn't work...that's fine. It works for me, and I know that conditioning should be part of every clarifying hair wash.....and yes, there are a number of people for whom Baking Soda does not work and therefore they don't advocate its use. Everyone's hair is different.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have very thick hair. The strands are like thread really. I did a very deep oiling the other night, and while my hair feels a lot softer and silkier than normal, it's still not where I want it to be. But maybe I'm just very impatient :(

Do you think oiling more often in the beginning (couple times a week) would help?

I am a stick-straight hair type. You appear to have some wave in your hair plus your hair is more than likely a whole lot thicker than my hair. I made an oiling video a number of months back and posted it on youtube. I'm giving you the link in case it may be of help to you.

I suggest you might do better spritzing the oil in your hair when your hair is freshly washed and conditioned and it's all out of your hair, then spritz with oil. If you are just beginning CO washing, I hear that LHC's method can take a number of weeks to acclimate to this kind of hair wash. And changing two things at once could produce confusion if something is or is not working....which thing is or is not working becomes the question. Make one change at a time before adding another change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

ChristineB
May 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Very much appreciate all the very helpful advice. Thanks so much!

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
You know it seems strange but last year at this time my hair was softer in some ways and now it seems like its gotten used to the oils I've used.