PDA

View Full Version : Does oiling have a stigma?

Bunnysaur
May 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
The other day, a girl at work said, "Bunnysaur, you hair always looks so soft and shiny! Is there anything you put in it to make it that way?" and I told her the I use coconut oil. The moment the word "oil" came out of my mouth, her expression turned from curiosity to :confused::disgust: I tried to explain that I don't use much, and it doesn't make my hair greasy, but she wouldn't have it. The :disgust: never left.

Has anyone else seen something like this? I get that people could think that adding oils to your hair makes it greasy, but my hair is not greasy, not by any stretch of the imagination. Do you think people just think that putting "grease" on your hair is gross?

shutterpillar
May 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Normally when I tell people I oil my hair, I am usually responded to in one of the following ways:

"oh, i've never heard of that... please tell me more"

or

"oh, i've heard of that... like indian people, right?":rolleyes:

Never been confronted with confusion or people thinking its greasy or gross. But I usually go on to explain that I let it sit in my hair overnight and then wash it out in the morning, or use a very small amount when my hair is dry after a shower.

Tisiloves
May 24th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I think it's just because it's not what the magazines, or most people do. I mean my friend who's a curly girl (beautiful 3a/b ringlets) was so embarrassed to tell me she CO washes, just because most people use 'poo.

I have noticed a few serums which are oil based, I bet if you said you used one of those she wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

LadyTheta
May 24th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't give her reaction another thought. Appreciate the compliment.

I've been newly using coconut creme, which is extra-virgin, unrefined, and the results are what count in my experience.

Suze2012
May 24th, 2012, 02:42 PM
That just made me laugh out loud!!

Oh yeah!

I've told my team that I have been washing my hair with conditioner only and putting oil on my hair..they gave a few funny looks..and I went for a haircut last weekend..I jokingly said I would be the most difficult customer due to not wanting my hair washed with shampoo and having silicone conditioner put in..my team saw no problem with that and told me I shouldn't worry as my hair won't fall out..

I also mentioned to another girl at work the co -washing and oiling and I had just commented that her new hair colour looked nice. It was a lot blonder and suited her.
She balked at what I said I was doing - really 'yuck' expression on her face..yet she then said she hasn't dyed her hair but is washing it now when it gets dirty rather than just be lazy and not bother for a week or so......er...ok...lol!

I'm not planning on telling anyone else.... :0)

Othala
May 24th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yup, people round here tend to think that oil in your hair is bad news and backwards.

These same people think serums and flat-ironing you locks daily is normal and good.

I am "allowed" to have oiled hair because I am "some kind of Indian"LOL, and we "ethnic" types are known for such dirty grossness.

BlondieHepburn
May 24th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Firstly, I think the problem is that people do not differentiate between oil and grease. In my opinion, when I haven't washed my hair in a few days, it gets oily. When one renders animal fat, the result is grease. Oil seems to invoke the same connotation as grease, but it shouldn't.

Secondly, these days most people have been conditioned (pun not intended) to think that truly clean hair means that everything, even the good oils, must be stripped away, leaving literally squeaky clean strands. They think the same with skin. "Gah! Why would you put oil on your face?!"

In such a chemical-infested society, most people have never been taught genuine hair care. Which is why TLHC rules! :)

Honeyfall
May 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I think it does, I think some people equate it with not washing the hair at all. I have found that if I say 'Oh I just put a drop or so on my ends, to smooth them out and give them a bit of shine' most women automatically accept it because you see that sort of thing in magazines from time to time. Men don't get it at all, they think you're going to have greasy, smelly hair all day.

ladylowtide
May 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Oh yes. That reaction face. I get for a couple of things...

1." I use olive oil on the ends of my hair." --> :disgust:
2. I haven't had a hair cut or trim in 10 months and I don't plan on doing for some time. --> :disgust:
3. "I only wash my hair once a week." ---> :disgust:

I just don't say these things anymore. I only told my mother about the stretching the washes one. She was mortified.

Sometimes people get grossed out even by the thought of using henna or tea for your hair. People are can be so conservative about hair.

Bunnysaur
May 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I think it does, I think some people equate it with not washing the hair at all. I have found that if I say 'Oh I just put a drop or so on my ends, to smooth them out and give them a bit of shine' most women automatically accept it because you see that sort of thing in magazines from time to time. Men don't get it at all, they think you're going to have greasy, smelly hair all day.
Yeah, my DF doesn't get it at all, either.

Firstly, I think the problem is that people do not differentiate between oil and grease. In my opinion, when I haven't washed my hair in a few days, it gets oily. When one renders animal fat, the result is grease. Oil seems to invoke the same connotation as grease, but it shouldn't.

Secondly, these days most people have been conditioned (pun not intended) to think that truly clean hair means that everything, even the good oils, must be stripped away, leaving literally squeaky clean strands. They think the same with skin. "Gah! Why would you put oil on your face?!"

In such a chemical-infested society, most people have never been taught genuine hair care. Which is why TLHC rules! :)
I think it's a shame that people don't try to genuinely take care of their hair. I just started to pay more attention to mine, and it's looking and feeling so much better than it did when I thought it was at it's best. It's too bad that more of this LHC stuff isn't mainstream.

I think it's just because it's not what the magazines, or most people do. I mean my friend who's a curly girl (beautiful 3a/b ringlets) was so embarrassed to tell me she CO washes, just because most people use 'poo.

I have noticed a few serums which are oil based, I bet if you said you used one of those she wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
Hmm... All the serums I've seen are water and silicone based. Or the Morrocanoil stuff, which is silicone with a few drops of argan oil. Which serums have you been seeing?!

2. I haven't had a hair cut or trim in 10 months and I don't plan on doing for some time. --> :disgust:

I just don't say these things anymore. I only told my mother about the stretching the washes one. She was mortified.

Sometimes people get grossed out even by the thought of using henna or tea for your hair. People are can be so conservative about hair.

Hahaha. Mine did almost the same thing when I told her that I had a little bit of coconut oil in my shampoo. She freaked, and then all her comments about my hair went from "it looks really soft and shiny!" to "omg ur hair is teh greasies it's dat dam oyl!"

MsBubbles
May 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Before I found LHC and started growing my hair in earnest, I had spoken to women before about the condition of their ends, and if they talked about putting oil on their ends, it was usually in conjunction with "My hair is so dry and curly, that I have to...". And since mine has always been flat and greasy, I would mentally dismiss it as an idea for my hair.

Even now I can't really oil like most people here. Maybe she thought her hair wouldn't be able to handle the oil somehow. Didn't she realize you wash it out again? :p

battles
May 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I would have had the same reaction before LHC. :p

A friend in high school told me he didn't wash his hair every day and I couldn't imagine ever doing that and was pretty grossed out. Now I'm stretching washes.

Bunnysaur
May 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Before I found LHC and started growing my hair in earnest, I had spoken to women before about the condition of their ends, and if they talked about putting oil on their ends, it was usually in conjunction with "My hair is so dry and curly, that I have to...". And since mine has always been flat and greasy, I would mentally dismiss it as an idea for my hair.

Even now I can't really oil like most people here. Maybe she thought her hair wouldn't be able to handle the oil somehow. Didn't she realize you wash it out again? :p

I'm not sure if she did or not!

AnnaJamila
May 24th, 2012, 04:00 PM
It kills me when people ask "How do you get your hair to look so nice?" and then after you tell them they proceed to tell you how bad that sort of thing is for your hair. Ooooooooook.

A girl asked me how I dyed my hair but kept it looking so nice and when I said henna she asked "Why would you do that? It's so damaging. Just use regular dye."

But . . . You just said . . . Oh never mind. :rolleyes:

bumblebums
May 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Let me quote the first time I ever saw oiling mentioned:

"My mother would take Ya Ya to the department store for new underwear, and we'd watch from behind the racks as she wandered out of the dressing room in her bra and knee-length bloomers. Once in the parking lot she would stoop to collect empty cans and Styrofoam cups, stray bits of cardboard, and scraps of paper, happily tossing it all out of the window once the car reached a manicured residential street. She wasn't senile or vindictive, she just had her own way of doing things and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. What was wrong with kneading bread dough on the kitchen floor? Who says a newborn baby shouldn't sleep with a colossal wooden cross wedged inside the crib? Why not treat your waist-length hair with olive oil? What stains on the sofa? I don't know what you're talking about.
That might play back on Mount Olympus," my mother would say. "But in my house we don't wash our stockings in the toilet." " -- David Sedaris, Naked

So you see? Even in the mind of an NPR contributor, oiling your hair is down there with doing your laundry in the toilet. And that's why I don't tell people what I do with my hair :)

Tisiloves
May 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hmm... All the serums I've seen are water and silicone based. Or the Morrocanoil stuff, which is silicone with a few drops of argan oil. Which serums have you been seeing?!

I've seen a couple of Morrocanoil-y ones, and one which was like the oil neutrative stuff and quite a few in the "ethnic" hair care section which are basically coconut, amla and castor oil.

Anje
May 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
OP, I think the problem is that you didn't say that you use a super-special magical hair oil. (What makes it super-special? The fact that it works, but don't tell them that!)

Now wouldn't you think that using poo on your hair would be worse? :D

Littlewing13
May 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM
meh people know I'm weird & crunchy so they're used to it. I use coconut oil as a deodorant for gods sake! U don't get much crazier than that. As far as hair goes, I don't care, long as I get the results I want. I can put up with greasies if it means long shiny hair in the long run.

pepperminttea
May 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Let me quote the first time I ever saw oiling mentioned:

"My mother would take Ya Ya to the department store for new underwear, and we'd watch from behind the racks as she wandered out of the dressing room in her bra and knee-length bloomers. Once in the parking lot she would stoop to collect empty cans and Styrofoam cups, stray bits of cardboard, and scraps of paper, happily tossing it all out of the window once the car reached a manicured residential street. She wasn't senile or vindictive, she just had her own way of doing things and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. What was wrong with kneading bread dough on the kitchen floor? Who says a newborn baby shouldn't sleep with a colossal wooden cross wedged inside the crib? Why not treat your waist-length hair with olive oil? What stains on the sofa? I don't know what you're talking about.
That might play back on Mount Olympus," my mother would say. "But in my house we don't wash our stockings in the toilet." " -- David Sedaris, Naked

So you see? Even in the mind of an NPR contributor, oiling your hair is down there with doing your laundry in the toilet. And that's why I don't tell people what I do with my hair :)

Perhaps, but as much as I love David Sedaris when I'm looking for reading material, when I look at him (http://i.imgur.com/Qv6lp.jpg) I don't think "Yeah, he knows what waist length hair needs." ;)

bumblebums
May 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Perhaps, but as much as I love David Sedaris when I'm looking for reading material, when I look at him (http://i.imgur.com/Qv6lp.jpg) I don't think "Yeah, he knows what waist length hair needs." ;)

Haha, true :)

But as far as stigma--I read that book ages ago, and this is just about the only thing that really stuck with me--putting olive oil on hair was just one example of how backward his Greek grandma was. I had no idea until maybe four years ago that so many people do it--and some apparently in secret!

dwell_in_safety
May 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Hmm. I've never mentioned my methods of haircare to anyone but my housemates and my mother. My mother thinks it's odd, of course, but she also says that it all appears to be "working." I take that as a compliment and somewhat of a blessing. :p My housemates are fascinated by it, and one of them even presented me with a BBB the other day and asked if it was OK to use on her hair. :D I think it's appreciated by those around me, whom I have bothered to tell. I haven't shared it with others, such as coworkers. They don't need to know, and if it were to come up in conversation it would be my doing.

Vampyria
May 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Well my mother almost yelled at me when she saw me oiling freshly washed hair. I use coconut oil as a leave in. She asked, what was the point of washing your hair and then make it dirty again.

And my grandmother told me that my hair will fall out if I oil it too much. :rolleyes: I was using castor oil on my scalp then.

I also think that I will never convince my friend to put oil in her hair (or anything natural for that matter).

Natalia
May 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The other day, a girl at work said, "Bunnysaur, you hair always looks so soft and shiny! Is there anything you put in it to make it that way?" and I told her the I use coconut oil. The moment the word "oil" came out of my mouth, her expression turned from curiosity to :confused::disgust: I tried to explain that I don't use much, and it doesn't make my hair greasy, but she wouldn't have it. The :disgust: never left.

Has anyone else seen something like this? I get that people could think that adding oils to your hair makes it greasy, but my hair is not greasy, not by any stretch of the imagination. Do you think people just think that putting "grease" on your hair is gross?

i dont get many positive reactions when it comes to what i do to my hair so i typically keep it to myself. when it comes to oiling i usually get oh but its so greasy, it must collect a ton of dirt, yada yada yada... :rolleyes: . i admit im kind of a smart a$$ so if im feeling snippy and someone gets on me about it i tell them to go look at that fancy pre-treat they paid $40 for its basically herbal tea, emulsifier, and OIL! i am just taking a shortcut to healthier happier hair

Thenolegirl
May 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
The reactions I've gotten are kinda neutral. I've always been known to be the makeup ,hair, and nails queen - so if I say it works or I have backup info then my family and friends tend to just nod their heads or ask me for help later on.

My mom sometimes talks about LHC since I brought it up, and just considers this site to be "holistic hair care". She actually asked me about tea tree oil to help out an elderly relative with dry scalp. :)

julierockhead
May 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I've had quite a few people love up my hair and then be shocked that it can still look this good after my abuse of it with henna, coconut oil, co-washing, and mashing avacado and banana into it. I had one person ask if I was trying to grow "ni*ger hair", if you can believe that (I reported him to his supervisor for contributing to a hostile work environment).

99% of what you see in the drugstore did not exist 100 years ago. We at TLHC are discovering, cherishing, and re-inventing what our ancestors passed from generation to generation, without selling stock or making a fortune.

Let the sheep bleat and follow where they are led. You are not the jackass whisperer. There will always be people like us, who refuse to allow ourselves to be spoon fed information by people who want something from us.

jacqueline101
May 24th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I get the answer African American oil their hair.

ravenheather
May 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM
My mom just commented today, that I used to just dye my hair weird colors. Now I do all kinds of weird stuff to it. Not sure if she means the oils or the catnip tea treatment or the monistat. But I'll have the last laugh when my hair reaches waist length, which she said it couldn't do.

swearnsue
May 24th, 2012, 08:35 PM
A friend complemented me on my skin and asked what products I use. I told her I make my own facial scrub with olive oil and oats. She practically freaked out. She has one of those automatic shipments of facial care stuff that costs ??? maybe $50 a month? Her skin looks good but so does mine and I spend about 50 cents per month and dozens less chemicals. I won't tell her about the henna, diatomaceous earth, MSM and vinegar!

Amber_Maiden
May 24th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Huh. I've never gotten that reaction- mainly because I think people are expecting me to say something weird. lol

Natalia
May 24th, 2012, 09:30 PM
just a side note as i remembered a saying that seemed appropriate - first its disputed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as the truth. or in ou case nomal, i remember when everything was marketed as oil free but now you can find shea butter in half the hair products at target!

Slug Yoga
May 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM
manicured residential street. She wasn't senile or vindictive, she just had her own way of doing things and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. What was wrong with kneading bread dough on the kitchen floor? Who says a newborn baby shouldn't sleep with a colossal wooden cross wedged inside the crib? Why not treat your waist-length hair with olive oil? What stains on the sofa? I don't know what you're talking about.

Haha, I was just thinking about that passage yesterday. I remember my impression the first time I read it--the intended impression, no doubt, and one that most readers would have had--was that oiling your waist-long hair would be gross and weird. (I was imagining the hair basically sopping with oil). This time around, I thought, "Oh yeah, I have some olive oil, don't I? I could use that on my ends." And then I realized that, while waist-length hair might have seemed long then, it doesn't now.

(A bit of a tangent, but: I find as my hair grows longer, so does my perception of what "long" is. If it's not like, a foot+ longer than whatever my current hair length is, it doesn't seem "that" long to me. Classic is no longer "all that long," but knee length is, and so on.)

Bunnysaur
May 25th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I've seen a couple of Morrocanoil-y ones, and one which was like the oil neutrative stuff and quite a few in the "ethnic" hair care section which are basically coconut, amla and castor oil.
:doh: I didn't even think of the ethnic section! Come to think of it, after reading all the "doo gro" labels, everything is soybean oil based, isn't it?

A friend complemented me on my skin and asked what products I use. I told her I make my own facial scrub with olive oil and oats. She practically freaked out. She has one of those automatic shipments of facial care stuff that costs ??? maybe $50 a month? Her skin looks good but so does mine and I spend about 50 cents per month and dozens less chemicals. I won't tell her about the henna, diatomaceous earth, MSM and vinegar!
I've never told anyone that I've replaced my nighttime application of toner and moisturizer with argan oil.

Tisiloves
May 25th, 2012, 02:12 AM
:doh: I didn't even think of the ethnic section! Come to think of it, after reading all the "doo gro" labels, everything is soybean oil based, isn't it?

There's a whole range of olive oil based products in Boots' ethnic section.

Bagginslover
May 25th, 2012, 02:17 AM
All but one person has given me the odd look when I've told them I oil. The only person who didn't is my colleague, who is Indian, but even she was amazed at the difference it made to my hair. I'm not sure if she has taken up oiling herself now or not, she was talking about it.

MegaMystery
May 25th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I don't think i've ever gotten a weird reaction, but people don't usually ask what i do with my hair and i don't bring it up. My boyfriend did see me oil my hair pre-wash at some point and asked whether that was good for it. I told him yes and he said 'ok' and that was the end of it :p

Lize
May 25th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I certainly don't tell everyone I know, like at work and people I don't know very well. But I have told my closes friends, my mother and my BF. (That I use coconut oil in my hair for example.)

My BF was to my surprise familiar with both olive oil treatments and vinegar rinses, which was taught to him by his grandmother. He will soak his hair in olive oil every time his scalp gets too dry. He has a problem with dry scalp. The olive oil works wonders.

My closest friends are quite accepting. And also somewhat curious about parts of my routine.

But at work I can still hear people talk about things like "Did you hear that some people put castor oil on their scalps and then they don't wash it out so it starts to smell rancid! It's apparently a trend on the Internet." I just stay silent when I hear stuff like that.

But I must say that the older and wiser I get the less I care about what people will think about me being on LHC and treating my hair in a different way. Nowadays I tell more people than I would have when I joined in 2006, but still I am not very open about it to strangers.

onlyforhim
May 25th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Yup, people round here tend to think that oil in your hair is bad news and backwards.

These same people think serums and flat-ironing you locks daily is normal and good.

I am "allowed" to have oiled hair because I am "some kind of Indian"LOL, and we "ethnic" types are known for such dirty grossness.

hhh that was funny and i can totally relate :) (it's like you are saying what i would have said too)

Perhaps I said this before but all women in my family think i am crazy
my father however, supports me 100% he even gives me tips (his grandmother had almost knee length hair, his mother was somewhat modern so she cut it short "we are considered farmers by the way" .....)
my man is very happy and he always asks if i put oil on my hair (his mama always alway oil her hair and she has gorgeous hair)

Bunnysaur
May 25th, 2012, 02:35 AM
All but one person has given me the odd look when I've told them I oil. The only person who didn't is my colleague, who is Indian, but even she was amazed at the difference it made to my hair. I'm not sure if she has taken up oiling herself now or not, she was talking about it.

I certainly don't tell everyone I know, like at work and people I don't know very well. But I have told my closes friends, my mother and my BF. (That I use coconut oil in my hair for example.)

My BF was to my surprise familiar with both olive oil treatments and vinegar rinses, which was taught to him by his grandmother. He will soak his hair in olive oil every time his scalp gets too dry. He has a problem with dry scalp. The olive oil works wonders.

My closest friends are quite accepting. And also somewhat curious about parts of my routine.

But at work I can still hear people talk about things like "Did you hear that some people put castor oil on their scalps and then they don't wash it out so it starts to smell rancid! It's apparently a trend on the Internet." I just stay silent when I hear stuff like that.

But I must say that the older and wiser I get the less I care about what people will think about me being on LHC and treating my hair in a different way. Nowadays I tell more people than I would have when I joined in 2006, but still I am not very open about it to strangers.

Whenever I hear someone say something is "trend on the Internet" I just lol at them. I wouldn't have told her if she didn't ask :p

Heatherzilla
May 25th, 2012, 02:55 AM
My boyfriend calls me a hippie because I henna my hair. =p But he also calls me a hippie because of a lot of other things I do too.

The only people who really know I oil my hair are my family and they don't think it's weird. My mum has recently been getting into more natural stuff and most of what I try is met with curiousity rather than anything else. Most of my friends are guys and it would feel weird talking about hair care with them since most of them don't care.

auburntressed
May 25th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I first started oiling my hair because I had cracked and bleeding cuticles and no money. So I went into my kitchen, grabbed my olive oil, and slathered it all over my fingertips.

Then later at work, I told my co-worker about it; and his response was, "Yeah, olive oil makes a kick ass conditioner, too."

So I tried it, and it wasn't perfect. But I liked it enough to try again. Then I started to experiment, and I ended up using almond oil as a pre-wash for my hair and also as an after shows moisturizer. My skin and hair absorbs almond better than olive for some reason.

It was it until after joining here that I started to mix oils and added castor to my scalp treatment and using coconut as a leave-in.

When someone asks how I treat my hair, I give them the run down - but ONLY if they ask. And people do ask occasionally, usually accompanied by an exclamation that my hair is so shiny! Honestly, though, I credit the henna for the shine. Coconut oil just makes it softer.

MintChocChip
May 25th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Yeah I think oiling has a bit of a stigma. But, in all honesty I think that's possibly due to ignorance. I bet if they tried it though, that'd soon be eating their words. :D

I was in The Body Shop yesterday with a friend and we came across a new product called 'Beautifying Oils' which are meant to be for skin and hair. I didn't have much of a look at the ingredients because, you know, I already have the oils I like now and it looked to me like more of a blend of oils. My friend looked at them and said she'd like to try something like an oil but she was worried it'd be too greasy. So maybe it's just a reluctance to change routine and incorporate oils, perhaps in case you use them wrong.

Chamomile betty
May 25th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Surprisingly, when hair does come up as a topic (think health class) with my students many have heard and practice oiling their hair.
Now someone my age might not know what I am talking about because I have gotten that look before as well. Maybe it just depends on who you are talking too? My DH is used to seeing EVOO in the bathroom lol

Ndayeni
May 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I've only recently started experimenting with oiling my hair, after reading on here about it. I've been fairly open with the ladies I work with (it's a small office and we all know each other fairly well) about it, and so far they have been interested and supportive about it, occasionally even asking questions about it. Other friends that I've told have reacted in mostly the same way.

My mother just kind of shakes her head about it, but doesn't say much beyond warnings not to use too much, and occasional joking comments about creating an oil slick with all the stuff I'm trying if I'm not careful or the like. She was initially rather sceptical, and even a bit horrified I think, when I first mentioned trying oils, but after seeing that no, it's not making my hair greasy and gross, she's accepted it.

It hadn't ever really occurred to me that other people might react negatively to it, or maybe I just didn't really care if they did. After reading the comments here, I'm thinking I'm probably lucky to have people around me that are so accepting.

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I've actually not gotten a lot of negative reactions by telling people my routine with oil, but then again, I've not told a lot of people. LOL

My mother actually didn't think much of it, in a positive way. She's one of those people that is skeptic, but if she sees good results, she's pretty cool with it. I remember when I first started oiling my hair, she wasn't very interested. But then my hair started getting healthier and she was like, "Still oiling your hair? ...Huh, yeah, your hair looks very nice. It's working." ♥

I think any negative or unsure reactions are because of popular ideas towards hair care. Just like someone towards the beginning of the thread brought up, our society's (at least in the states, so I can only speak for my country) idea of clean is using ingredients that strip every thing off the hair and skin. Which really... well, while it does make the hair clean, it's also taking away oils that protect it from the elements and keep it healthy. Then the idea is to replace those precious oils with conditioner, but that only does so much. While this routine works for a group of people (and I understand how some people would rather S&C than deal with an oil slick of a scalp. I can totally understand that, and I don't blame them lol), it's simply not ideal.

I remember having a small squabble with a person about when shampoo came about, the kind we use now. It's only been around for about eighty years, ya know. However, the concept of shampoo itself started centuries before that in India (they used a high alkaline ash to wash the hair, and then piled on the oil to moisturize and protect). The person just didn't want to accept anything beyond the idea that hair is not clean without using conventional shampoo, so I gave up on the argument.

So that shows you right there how much of a stigma there is about old concepts of hair care, because really, oiling is a much older technique than shampooing. Oiling has been around for centuries, even thousands of years. Before shampoo, we used soap, and before soap, we used nothing. People don't think about this; I swear, some people act like we're all born with S&C in our hands. lol

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 08:39 AM
People don't know what you know and they never will. I'd be especially cautious sharing about hair at work, all the time. You're there to work, not talk hair. I wear my hair up and no one has any idea I'm into longer hair at all. I don't tell anyone very much about my hair. I don't want to hear what they think because I simply couldn't care less. If they want to know, they can do the same homework I did. It's not hard information to figure out.

Just ignore it. Stigma? Depends what crowd you're swimming in. If the pool is a bunch o people who style their hair, hang out at hair salons, and read fashion hair magazines, then probably it's EWWW, ICK!

If you hang out with people into more natural methods then they're likely all ears.

Just depends who the crowd is. If it's a bunch of Black women, they'll tell ya they use oil all the time on their hair. Their hair is quite fragile and needs extra TLC.

Clearly this co-worker hasn't seen my youtube video regarding how I oil my hair......and how little I use. No matter. Your hair is soft and shiny. So there!
heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I remember having a small squabble with a person about when shampoo came about, the kind we use now. It's only been around for about eighty years, ya know. However, the concept of shampoo itself started centuries before that in India (they used a high alkaline ash to wash the hair, and then piled on the oil to moisturize and protect). The person just didn't want to accept anything beyond the idea that hair is not clean without using conventional shampoo, so I gave up on the argument.

How does she think Caveman took care of their hair? Shampoo is a man-made invention and for not overly long has shampoo been in the grocery aisle.....

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Is it lost on people that so many shampoos and conditioners now include oils in their product? Garnier Fructis, Herbal Essences, Dove, ...the list goes on. I just sidestep all the price, and get my own oil and apply it on my own.

I think that may be relevant point to make when people talk EWW, ICK about oiling.....

Most people are likely washing their hair in some oil.

VO5 oiling thing....as if those oils are really doing the trick. (Except on hair model commercials where they pump up the lights and the silicones...)

heidi w.

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 08:52 AM
How does she think Caveman took care of their hair? Shampoo is a man-made invention and for not overly long has shampoo been in the grocery aisle.....

heidi w.

Their idea was that before conventional shampoo, everyone had dirty hair. lol Seriously. Honestly, I should've walked away at that point, but I didn't.

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Actually, my ex is complaining about the co-washing and he thinks oiling makes it dirty. However when I walk around looking like fluff ball, he'll call me Cousin It! I was getting some build up from co-washing so I stripped it down really good with shampoo the other day and started over with conditioning it twice. I will shampoo occassionally but people would die if they knew it might be a month or two before I picked up a bottle of shampoo. I've gotten lazy with the oiling because the lack of shampooing is so darn helpful.

SerinaDaith
May 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I am just starting out and put a little evoo in my hair my mom was complementing my usually crazy frizzy hair and as soon as she found out I had olive oil in my hair she totally freaked out.

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah, some people think oiling it makes it look dirty. I'm brushing my wavy hair and embracing the fuzzy look. My ex thinks co-washing means dirty hair. He doesn't understand that people see my poofball and assume my hair is fried or I stuck a finger in a light socket by mistake. My hair feels really thin when its wet so all that poof makes me look like I have tons of hair. I'm gonna go with it. I trimmed 1/2 an inch off the ends and I do that every so often. Gradually the layers and bangs are growing out. I may add bangs and eventually I may color it bright red again, that is the extent of my haircare endeavors at the moment. I will not get a salon cut. I will not straighten it in anyway. I'm just letting it go and grow. I tried getting salon cuts to please people and no one liked the cuts including me. I went to great lengths to try and make my textured hair look healthy to straight haired people. I got old trying to please others. Now I have grey hairs popping up. They are just going to have to accept that I don't go to salons and this is my hair. Its okay not to give a flying flip what anyone else thinks and make yourself happy! You know the saying, opinions are like..... everyone has one! lol

Shaun
May 25th, 2012, 05:56 PM
As a gent, I must say I wouldn't dare say anything to anyone about it just to avoid the ridicule. (although, no one has ever asked)

I've tried both EVOO and Coconut oil, and I use a combo of it with Aloe as a daily frizz killer (aka a hair gel replacement). I could only imagine the looks I'd get if I gave away the secret. On a side note, I had a micro-trim done recently and the lady who did the trim kept repeating that she liked my hair and was surprised at its softness. :D

KahRistAhn
May 25th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I don't really talk about it. If someone asked, I would probably just say something like, "Oh, I stopped using heat on it" or whatever.

That just goes for people who aren't my family.

sarahramen
May 25th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I am sure there used to be, but I read a lot of magazines and most of them at least mention using oils in hair, for shine or health or softness, or whatever. But then they recommend some $50+ hair oil that may or may not have chemicals or cones in it. So the people still need it to come in a beauty product package to be open to it, but it is getting to be sort of mainstream. maybe in a couple of years they will look at the ingredients and realize they could get similar results for less.

thirstylocks
May 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Well most of my friends/acquaintances think its totally normal to put olive oil and leave it in your hair for a few hours...so I don't think there is a stigma against oiling, atleast not from my experience!

ClassicalBlonde
May 25th, 2012, 11:18 PM
My family looked at me really strange when I told them I was putting oil in my hair. I just don't tell anyone now. I don't know what their problem is, people use oil all the time for all different things :rolleyes:

vatikagirl
May 26th, 2012, 04:22 AM
For me oiling has never came out as a stigma, many people ask what I do for my hair and they are surprised and intrigued when the word "oiling"comes out. Infact most of them ask which oils and how to use it, some go to the extent of video chatting with me to show them the process of "how to apply oil". Just last time when I was travelling, a chinese lady asked me about it in an airport washroom.

CavyQueen
May 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Hi! I always have my hair oiled and up in a bun at work. Some people love the look and say it's classy others say I look dirty. If and when people ask what is in my hair, I tell them it's oil (I don't care, my hair is being kept healthy). I get many different responses such as, "I didn't think white people oiled their hair," or just a confused look. I just move along because I have work to do. I do think oiling has a stigma, but it's just because people are ignorant. Women have oiled their hair for thousands of years all over the world. Ignore the stigma and enjoy your gorgeous hair!!!!!

Venefica
May 26th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I have had people wonder how oil could work in the hair ad why I use it, but none have been negative and when I explain how much I use and why I use it then most get it so I have not experienced anything negative when it comes to oiling my hair.

SnowWhite
May 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I've got the same thing for using coconut oil as a face moisturizer.
They are all like: :eek: OIL are your crazy??!

Mayflower
May 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I don't think so? I mean, whenever I read those internet articles on how to grow your hair long and healthy, there's always the tip of using an EVOO mask at night and wash it out in the morning. I've read a lot about coconut oil hairmasks on beautyblogs too. Plus all those 'youtube guru's' are raving about moroccan oil and argan oil (I think that's the same thing) and macadamia nut oil. Ofcourse, only if those oils can be find in overpriced chemical laden products, but that's another thing.

However, I don't think a lot of people know about using oil as a leave-in. Oiling is not a big part of my hair routine, so I usually don't mention it to people.

heidi w.
May 26th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hi! I always have my hair oiled and up in a bun at work. Some people love the look and say it's classy others say I look dirty. If and when people ask what is in my hair, I tell them it's oil (I don't care, my hair is being kept healthy). I get many different responses such as, "I didn't think white people oiled their hair," or just a confused look. I just move along because I have work to do. I do think oiling has a stigma, but it's just because people are ignorant. Women have oiled their hair for thousands of years all over the world. Ignore the stigma and enjoy your gorgeous hair!!!!!

By the description that your hair looks dirty, this suggests the possibility of applying too much oil as a possible problem. It's entirely possible to apply too much oil. But you know what you're doing, and you're right. Just ignore them and carry on.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah I think oiling has a bit of a stigma. But, in all honesty I think that's possibly due to ignorance. I bet if they tried it though, that'd soon be eating their words. :D

I was in The Body Shop yesterday with a friend and we came across a new product called 'Beautifying Oils' which are meant to be for skin and hair. I didn't have much of a look at the ingredients because, you know, I already have the oils I like now and it looked to me like more of a blend of oils. My friend looked at them and said she'd like to try something like an oil but she was worried it'd be too greasy. So maybe it's just a reluctance to change routine and incorporate oils, perhaps in case you use them wrong.

The biggest problem for most newbies to oiling is learning just how much or little is really needed, and do not oil the top of head hair. Let sebum do its job up top. No need to pile on more of what God gives one naturally. The method one uses matters as it concerns what kind of hair one has. The way I oil my length is not at all like those with curly hair. Very different techniques are needed. Curly haired, if they try to oil my way are bound to end up with an oil slick because that thin layer that I use of oil just sort of isn't enough for curly haired folks. They need to oil while their hair is still damp, perhaps even wet. (Curly haired folks have to work with their hair while it's wet or damp.)

heidi w.

Kizuna
May 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I think oiling is becoming more popular nowadays and hterefore more accepted. I don't really tell people I oil my hair so I'm not really sure how it would be met. Maybe I should try, haha!

faellen
May 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
When I first joined this forum and saw that so many oiled their hair, I thought it was a huge no-no for me especially as my hair tends to be greasy!

But then I watched one of heidi's Youtube videos which showed how much oil to use, just a very small amount on the palm of your hand. I only apply it to my hair below the ears, and it works a treat.

I will slather loads on (again just to the lengths) as an overnight pre-wash treatment though :)

Taenarian
May 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM
As comments beyond "nice braid!" are rare, I don't normally volunteer information. But when I did share my coconut oil use with one friend, she replied: "just like the Polynesians! Their hair is beautiful!"

Cafe au Lait
May 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I shared with 1 friend that I oil my hair, her expression was like this - :disgust:

So I learned not to share with anyone. My husband just comments that he loves the smell. :D

terylenerose
May 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, at least with my parents. Mom (I think) has accepted the idea of putting oil on hair, but she doesn't do it at all, which results in hers being very dry, and is still weirded out by it. She and Dad also don't let me stretch my washes out very long. I'm still young and I live with them, so if my hair gets "dirty" enough I get forced to wash it. :mad: Someday I'll be on a WO once a week routine, but it's so hard to keep my dandruff under control and my hair not looking stringy.
And if you're wondering if I usually say more than anyone wants to hear, the answer is yes.

anthonyswife
May 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
The only people I talk to about my hair care anymore are my sis-in-law, my husband, and very rarely my Mother. They are all very open and understanding, though my sis-in-law was still surprised when I first told her I use coconut oil in my hair (she knew I used coconut oil but assumed it was on my skin- which it is, but my hair too).

It seems when I used to talk to other people about it, they were rather revolted (not about coconut oil specifically, I didn't mention that much, but other things like CO and not brushing curly hair), so I generally don't talk about it anymore. I was really surprised once though, I happened to mention to my cousin that honey is good for your hair (because her Dad is a beekeeper and we were talking about honey anyway) and she said "Oh yeah I know, Mom and I use it as a deep treatment sometimes." I was really surprised as that's the first time I've heard anyone non-LHC mention honey for hair!

As to oiling specifically, I think it just depends on what you've been exposed to throughout your life. In my teens I read in a magazine about olive oil deep treatments so I've been doing that for years and the thought of putting coconut oil as a leave-in was not surprising to me when I came to LHC. But if someone has never heard of that, I can imagine their surprise after being raised on the idea of needing squeaky-clean hair.

Henrietta
May 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Yes. I can add "I use conditioner to wash my hair".
The wild world just don't get some things. At the beginning of my LHC journey I was excited and I thought I will tell everyone about the wonders I have learned here. But they are very close to running away when they hear about CO or oiling.
It's worthless to even start such topic.
But what could you do if you were asked directly? She got the response she wanted :p

CurlyCap
May 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
It's been my experience that if people didn't grow up with oiling, they think it's dirty. They'll find a polite way to say it, but they think your putting something gross in your hair when sane people spend good time and money to clean theirs.

I recently had a hilarious experience. I've been telling my friend for YEARS to oil her hair to combat her brittleness from shampooing. She ignored me. Said she didn't feel comfortable. "It may work for your hair but not mine." Then her hairstylist crowed to her about this fabulous new treatment based on "infusing the hair with natural oils". She went. Paid $60 for someone to throw oil on her hair and stick her under a dryer. Her hair was shiny and bouncy and she crowed about it for days.

I said, "You could do that yourself. Maintain the look for like $1 a week."

"Oh, CurlyCap. That may work for your hair. But I don't think it's for mine."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that half her "oil" from the stylist was probably silicone anyway...

LizTheLyre
May 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM
yes! seriously anytime I say anything about putting oil on my hair, even if its only my ends, there's this little shut down thing happening. after i say that, all of my advice is wrong, of course this is during a time when bleached, everyday shampoo'd, straightened, damaged hair that can't grow past shoulder length hair is normal.

JesusFreak88
May 26th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I was involved in theatre at my college last year. Before one of the productions one of the actress asked for a tube of oil (you know how there are hot oil treatment tubes? You put them in a cup of hot water to heat them up, put them in your hair and then rinse them out) from the person who does the hair, make-up, and costumes (she keeps them around for actresses if they need them). The actress then explained how it made her hair so soft and how it helps it recover from all the curling and hairspray. I was shocked. LHC introduced me to oiling. I have never heard of anyone oiling their hair before here or of anyone away from here. I just sat there smiling at the wonders of oiling and at the looks of the rest of the female cast.

curlsgalore
May 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I've gotten those funny looks :). I only go into detail if someone really wants to know. If they are just casually asking, I just tell them that I do regular treatments at home and take extra care of my hair. I turned a friend onto coconut oil recently :). I let another friend borrow my "curly girl" book and she said she tried co washing and didn't like it because her hair felt gross and didnt feel "clean"...this coming from someone who washes their hair once a week or less often and used regular products in her hair. It doesn't really bother me much anymore. My hair is in the best shape it's ever been. I do know that more "natural" treatments seem to be more embraced. I had someone mention cleansing with baking soda and using an ACV rinse......who knew..:)

silverpiper
May 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM
This is interesting. My mixed and african american friends take hair oiling for granted. My white girlfriends think it's icky.

Arya
May 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM
It's been my experience that if people didn't grow up with oiling, they think it's dirty. They'll find a polite way to say it, but they think your putting something gross in your hair when sane people spend good time and money to clean theirs.

I recently had a hilarious experience. I've been telling my friend for YEARS to oil her hair to combat her brittleness from shampooing. She ignored me. Said she didn't feel comfortable. "It may work for your hair but not mine." Then her hairstylist crowed to her about this fabulous new treatment based on "infusing the hair with natural oils". She went. Paid $60 for someone to throw oil on her hair and stick her under a dryer. Her hair was shiny and bouncy and she crowed about it for days.

I said, "You could do that yourself. Maintain the look for like $1 a week."

"Oh, CurlyCap. That may work for your hair. But I don't think it's for mine."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that half her "oil" from the stylist was probably silicone anyway...
Buy her a bottle of argan oil! All the white chicks be using argan oil nowadays.

This is interesting. My mixed and african american friends take hair oiling for granted. My white girlfriends think it's icky.

It's cos white people hair tends* to be finer, straighter, and thinner. The kind that oil makes flat and greasy and separate into greasy locks. I only use oil for deep treatments I shampoo out afterwards. Walking around with oil on my hair makes look awful.

Covet
May 27th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I mean my friend who's a curly girl (beautiful 3a/b ringlets) was so embarrassed to tell me she CO washes, just because most people use 'poo.

GRR! A curly friend of mine was asking for advice on how to look after her hair and when I told her I CO washed, she almost fainted from disgust "but hair needs shampoo! Doesn't that leave your hair greasy?" Umm... No. Don't knock it until you've tried it! Just because it's not the norm doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

cheetahfast
May 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM
My Indian and black friends have never batted an eyelash at it. Even my Chinese friends that don't do it, don't think it's bad. I'm not saying it is a racial thing, I think it is cultural.
All of my white friends have thought of it as very strange...except one, who asked me if the coconut oil I had bought was for my hair, I answered yes, that was all we said on it, but she didn't look at me like I am crazy.

I remember a few weeks back a girl came into my work, a drugstore, looking for henna...she was lucky she got me since my co-workers still tell me that the henna was bad for my hair. We don't sell henna, and they think chemical is better. I tried to help her the best I could, I suggested getting it online.

Most people rationalize me using oil by saying well your hair is really curly, so it must be similar to black hair, which is why it works for you...:rolleyes:

HobbitMopHead
May 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I've never really had a problem with it. If people ask about oiling they generally think I'm talking about V05 hot oil. When I tell them it's coconut or olive oil they just kind of go "Ohhh..." and then ask exactly how I oil and wash.

Othala
May 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM
My Indian and black friends have never batted an eyelash at it. Even my Chinese friends that don't do it, don't think it's bad. I'm not saying it is a racial thing, I think it is cultural.

IMO, it is a racial thing.

Generally speaking, African-origin hair is fine and fragile and oil is brilliant at protecting it from damage and keeping it lubricated.

Indian-origin hair is generally dry and thick and oil softens it and makes it flexible and silky.

Both Africa and India have a hot climate and grow plants that produce oils and butters (I am thinking coconut and shea). These are Nature's conditioners, readily available in the tropical and equatorial regions where they grow and they have addressed the problems of both racial types of hair for generations.

Altariel
May 28th, 2012, 03:29 AM
When I told my mum I used oil on my hair she was like "oh ok... It's also good for skin, I used almond oil when I was pregnant" so she is/was into oil.
My dad doesn't care.
My boyfrend hasn't any problem with it... he is probably more annoyed by me costantly saing "hei you should put oil on your hair"(he has shoulder-lenght hair) and by me complaining I have dirty hair (even when they are clean xD I'm a little crazy )

hototogisu
May 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM
It's so funny reading this thread, because just last week I gave a friend a jar of my oil mix after she admired my hair. She then went to a hairdresser who sold her Moroccanoil and told her coconut oil was no good for hair because 'the molecule is too big to penetrate.' 0_0

Anyway, my friend says she loves my oil blend and uses it often, so I guess I just converted someone? My own hairdresser is quietly amused by my oil use and often asks me questions about it. One of the colourists at that salon is Indian, so she's not surprised at all.

catamonica
May 30th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Well I use olive oil in my shampoo. They never mention oil in magazines or web sites. So maybe there is a stigma. Bunnysaur, a little off the subject. But did you ever try the horse shampoo? Did it help?

letibear
May 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I think it may have had a stigma in the past, but not so much anymore. Seems more and more people are getting into natural/organic/cruelty free everything, so they should be more open toward the idea.

Bunnysaur
May 30th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Well I use olive oil in my shampoo. They never mention oil in magazines or web sites. So maybe there is a stigma. Bunnysaur, a little off the subject. But did you ever try the horse shampoo? Did it help?

I haven't had a chance to because my Walmart doesn't carry it :(

I think it may have had a stigma in the past, but not so much anymore. Seems more and more people are getting into natural/organic/cruelty free everything, so they should be more open toward the idea.

True, but not enough people are getting into natural beauty products enough for it to become as "mainstream" as regular ol' shampoo and conditioner.

HintOfMint
May 30th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Funny enough, the only person who has given me an odd look for using coconut oil is a Pakistani friend of mine. But the funny look was to tell me that I'm being "old fashioned." (I'm Indian with long hair and she has hair in a short straightened bob).

Neneka
May 30th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I too think that people are getting more into "natural and organic" things (this might be an illusion though because most of the people I hang out with are studying environmental sciences). Some of my friends know that oils are good for hair but I don't know if anyone is actually using them. Most of them doesn't think I am gross for not using shampoo either and some of them are actually using henna or even henndigo! Sometimes they even ask me about hair things. :)

I have also noticed that there is more natural products available. I even saw cassia (it had a little henna in it though but still!) and indigo in one big store!

This is a big generalization but usually people who want to style their hair with heat and use a lot of styling products every day are not that open.

clanless
May 30th, 2012, 02:13 AM
There's stigma towards oils in general. It's fun to mess with people's assumptions though.

Example one: "woah your hair is so nice"
My answer (after they ask what shampoo I use): "I haven't used shampoo for two years"

Example two: "your hair is bleached? but it's so healthy, how did you do it"
My answer: "I oil my hair before bleaching"

The judgement is worth it, because there is always someone out there who learns from me, and that is good. You have to lead by example, and if you keep doing what you're doing, people will eventually see that you know something that they can also learn, and start asking.

I am happy to have found this community, so many wise people.

pepperminttea
May 30th, 2012, 02:15 AM

True, but not enough people are getting into natural beauty products enough for it to become as "mainstream" as regular ol' shampoo and conditioner.

I think people are just getting more open towards using conventional products that are labelled as "natural" rather than researching and using things that actually are. But that might just be because the few times I've mentioned oiling to someone outside my family they've looked at me like I've just rolled in dog muck. :p

chotee
June 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Nice thread! Me being an indian living abroad have had funny looks always from my friends including indians who think i am a little old fashioned but well, because of this stigma, i have lost a lot of thickness but not anymore, i put my oiled hair in buns or a single braid and simply feel fine nowadays. My daughter who is 20 now had thick hair until recently lost a lot because of living in the dorm. She used to think, ma is oldfashioned too, never oiled but once her started falling, now thinks after all there is some truth to the old natural ways of hair and skin care. I think the stigma is because many think oily means unclean.

Tatilove
June 1st, 2012, 04:40 AM
Being black, I never really thought people reacted this way towards oiling their hair. Because of our unique hair structure, in our community, it is a normal thing. I hadn't oiled or moisturized my hair in years though, because I thought the only way to do so was by using some huge amount of hair grease or pomade filled with petroleum. Growing up, that's what my mom used on my hair. So when I became a teenager, I just stop moisturinzing my hair because I didn't know of any alternatives to using that nasty grease. Only recently I learned about coconut and olive oil. If I had known about them before, my hair would've never gone through such damage. So if someone thinks it's disgusting (although I don't think many ppl in my surrounding would) Then so be it.
I will keep enjoying how healthy is shiny my hair is becoming over the month :disco:

Astraea
June 2nd, 2012, 01:28 AM
I believe it totally gets the 'NOOOOooooooooo' treatment

I was in college before I discovered that some people equated oil with massive hair destruction and had 2 people try to talk me down from a HOT. Oils cleanse, seal in moisture and have incredible medicinal/restorative properties. I oil cleanse my face, oil pull for oral care, exfoliate with an oil/amla mix, apply oil post-shower and apply oil to my hair daily post WO-rinse.

My hair thrives on water, sebum and water-retaining oils to lock in that moisture, and only recently when I deviated from that formula did I experience massive breakage *sigh* Even my sister and friends, who will probably all be buried with their respective flat irons and silicone serums, look at me sideways.

nobunny
June 2nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
you know what, i've actually been meeting a lot of girls that are hip to oiling. on the occasion they don't, they usually are happy to get advice. it's been kinda cool!

Thenolegirl
June 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
As an update on an earlier post:

Bought Organic Coconut Oil today with my mom and grandma in tow, and my grandma was curious. My mom just said "Oh, she's all into organic hair care" like it was just normal :P my grandma piped up and said "Oh yeah? You should use avocados...it's very good for your hair".

She was used to making everything herself growing up, and with a Hispanic background, oiling and using natural ingredients is a no-brainer. =)

Sammie_holms
June 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I had this happen to me when I told a cO-worker that I don't wash my hair everyday and use olive oil. I love that reaction face because that is the look she had. :p

finzi
June 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I've had quite a few people love up my hair and then be shocked that it can still look this good after my abuse of it with henna, coconut oil, co-washing, and mashing avacado and banana into it. I had one person ask if I was trying to grow "ni*ger hair", if you can believe that (I reported him to his supervisor for contributing to a hostile work environment).

:( There are some foul people out there, so glad you reported him.

I've had similar experiences to those reported by others (the old "Oooo, your hair looks great, how do you do it?" swiftly followed by "Ugh, you shouldn't do that to your hair", total failure of logic!) and just shrug them off. I remember years ago my younger sister expressed envy because my hair looked "so soft and shiny". When I told her I CO washed and didn't use shampoo she told me it was gross, that she couldn't believe her sister doesn't use shampoo. I then pointed out that she herself said it looked great.... and she capitulated :D

Ho hum. One half of the world cannot appreciate the pleasures of the other, isn't that the quote?!

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Being black, I never really thought people reacted this way towards oiling their hair. Because of our unique hair structure, in our community, it is a normal thing. I hadn't oiled or moisturized my hair in years though, because I thought the only way to do so was by using some huge amount of hair grease or pomade filled with petroleum. Growing up, that's what my mom used on my hair. So when I became a teenager, I just stop moisturinzing my hair because I didn't know of any alternatives to using that nasty grease. Only recently I learned about coconut and olive oil. If I had known about them before, my hair would've never gone through such damage. So if someone thinks it's disgusting (although I don't think many ppl in my surrounding would) Then so be it.
I will keep enjoying how healthy is shiny my hair is becoming over the month :disco:

Every Black woman who is in to her hair knows ALL about hair oiling. It's what saves this hair type from ruination otherwise. I've given hair lectures, and all the Black women sit in the back nodding their head. They already know. The rest of the crowd is doubtful, but then they look at my hair and think twice.....

heidi w.

johnnystiletto
June 27th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm SUPER lucky in that my BF doesn't think that oiling is gross, or that hair HAS to be washed every day; in fact, he shampoos every other day, and tends to "let it get greasy" over the weekends. And people constantly compliment him on his hair - it's thick, healthy, and super shiny!

I think a lot of people think oiling is "ewwwwwwwwww" because they hear the word "oil" and automatically picture something like cooking oil or shortening! Or maybe they don't realize that our hair oils get ABSORBED by the hair instead of just sitting on the surface and looking like a tar pit!

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Overall, I think the idea of using any oils has become more accepted. The world of Whole Foods and that ilk has definitely caught on. When you consider how many food problems there are in the US Food Supply (there's even a website that tracks all the complaints, and it seems there's easily one problem of some kind per week...). What I don't get is why aren't we looking around more at other cultures and how-tos and considering it more. Too readily we just poo-poo stuff before we even know what we're talking about. No one's advocating dropping a bucket of oil on your head. The testimony is that a little bit goes a long way. It's far easier to get essential oils than ever before. Although where I live presently, one has to go on a hunt because this neck of the woods isn't very aware nor very informed. Stuff's been going on outside of this universe for almost 20 years, and here, people are just hearing about it. Sad, actually.

heidi w.

heidi w.
June 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I'm SUPER lucky in that my BF doesn't think that oiling is gross, or that hair HAS to be washed every day; in fact, he shampoos every other day, and tends to "let it get greasy" over the weekends. And people constantly compliment him on his hair - it's thick, healthy, and super shiny!

I think a lot of people think oiling is "ewwwwwwwwww" because they hear the word "oil" and automatically picture something like cooking oil or shortening! Or maybe they don't realize that our hair oils get ABSORBED by the hair instead of just sitting on the surface and looking like a tar pit!

I think they associate it with the hair that's stringy from too much sebum build up. Kind of like the teen that doesn't shower after a round of hoops....and you have to beg him to bathe. There's a phase that a lot of teens go through that hair looks this way, and it's a plague to many teens at a certain point along the way....

heidi w.

johnnystiletto
June 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I think they associate it with the hair that's stringy from too much sebum build up. Kind of like the teen that doesn't shower after a round of hoops....and you have to beg him to bathe. There's a phase that a lot of teens go through that hair looks this way, and it's a plague to many teens at a certain point along the way....

heidi w.

Exactly! Also, here in the Deep South, a lot of women LOVE their bleach, blowfryers/flat irons and hairspray. I still see crunchy, ramen-noodle perms, where you can SEE the dryness and frizz and mangled ends from a mile away.

I'll keep my hair oiled and let them think i'm dirty ;)