PDA

View Full Version : What are you grateful for about your hair?

hototogisu
May 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
This might seem silly, but tonight when I was brushing my hair this thought popped into my head. I always part my hair into two pigtails to Tangle Teeze it, and I usually whine mentally about how awful and thin my hair is. But then I had this thought as I brushed one of the pigtails - this is all the hair some people have. And, thin and ugly as my hair is, I had this surge of gratitude for the hair I have.

So here's the question - what are you grateful for about your hair?

Personally, I'm grateful for all the people and wisdom on forums like these, and for everyone who's taken the time to write posts and articles that have taught me so much.

I'm grateful for becoming literate in product ingredients, so I can look at the label of a product and get a good feel for whether it'll work for me.

I'm grateful that I (for now, at least) managed to reduce my hair loss.

I'm grateful that my hair loss has given me a deep understanding of the grief and devastation hair loss can cause, and an empathy for those women going through hair loss.

I'm grateful for all the braids and buns I've learned to dress up my thoroughly inadequate hair.

And I'm grateful for learning - slowly but surely - to stop comparing what I have with what other women have.

Your turn!

Honeyfall
May 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
What a great idea for a thread!

I never (EVER) thought I would say this, but I am grateful for my curls. With them I can give up heat styling and still have some body in my fine hair. I hated them all my life, but now I am so thankful for them! :D

joflakes
May 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
That it is soft and my boyfriend likes it!

Madora
May 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM
At age 66, I'm glad I still have a good head of hair.

Also grateful to LHC members who have shared their ideas. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen!

ladylowtide
May 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I am grateful that my hair is pretty low maintenance.
I am grateful that is doesn't get split ends.
I am grateful that has gotten thicker.
I am grateful that one day I may be able to reach my goal, the fact that it is a possibility.

ravenreed
May 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I am grateful that my hair is pretty indestructible. I am grateful that it isn't thicker because it would weigh so much that I wouldn't be able to deal with the length I want. I am grateful that it seems happily to grow to whatever length I ask it to grow to, as long as I show it a little extra care.

Faux
May 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Number one, I'm grateful I HAVE hair. That has always scared me the most about getting cancer - the hair loss. Half my family has died from cancer and I really don't want it!

Number two, I hair nice hair. Not super thick, but thick enough. I have volume (but neither of my parents did!) and body.

Number three, it can grow long if I want it too. Some people can't get past waist. Years ago, I had TBL with no taper. I wish I could give that to someone who really wants it though because I'm never going to go TERM. I'm getting amazing growth with vitamin D and fish oil. I get almost an inch a month now!

I am also grateful for my flat iron, which lets me have a good hair day every day!

GrowingGlory
May 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'm grateful for hair that is "easy care".

luxepiggy
May 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'm grateful that it grows out of my head looking like I spent hours on it with a flat iron. And that it doesn't get many tangles or splits. Actually, I'm grateful for pretty much everything about my hair except the natural colour. I love my hair (^(oo)^)v

Ticky
May 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I am grateful that it is so easy to manage, and that I still have all of it, considering all my health issues and stress.

MissEarlGrey
May 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm grateful that my hair is incredibly thick.
I'm grateful that my hair is a nice colour.
I'm grateful that it behaves.

Carolyn
May 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I've always been very grateful to have been born a blonde. I've become more grateful that it isn't wavier than it is and it isn't thinner than it is. I'm grateful for all the friendship and sharing of knowledge I've found here.

dwell_in_safety
May 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I am grateful for its thickness, its wave, and its manageability.

I used to hate two of those things. :D

bluesnowflake
May 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm grateful it's fairly straight because I can't imagine dealing with curly hair- kudos to all who do!
I'm also thankful for the thickness because it enables me to do a lot with it. Even if it's hard to manage sometimes, I think overall it's a blessing.

KwaveT
May 24th, 2012, 06:42 PM
For me that my hair is thick without being extremely thick and that my hair can take a lot of punishment, but I don't treat it that way anymore. I can think of a lot of men my age that have gone bald but my hair is as thick as a 20 year old's. My hair has not thinned at all. I have been given great genes for my hair and nails. My nails are strong too and I can grow them long. Finally I use to moan about the waviness of my hair when it was short but now I am embracing and absolutely love it. May be a little too soon to really tell but I don't think my hair is prone to split ends either. I have not had a haircut for over a year so far and no sign of any.

meishkamooshka
May 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I am grateful for people like you who make discussion boards like this and remind me that I have so MANY things to be grateful for.

But, in regards to my hair, I am grateful for a number of things!

Like many on here, I echo my gratitude that I have hair. I really would miss it if I no longer had any.

I am grateful that my hair is thick enough for me to get a grip on, but no so thick that I can't wrap my hands around it because otherwise I would likely not be able to implement the many lovely styles I've learned on here on myself. I'm certain I lack the patience, willpower, and stamina of the incredibly skilled fine haired and super thick haired folks!

I am grateful to have hair that at least gives me hope that I may reach my goal of Classic.

I am grateful that, through all the beautiful and talented folks on the LHC and YT, I am able to help disseminate information about hair care and styling to my friends and family.

I am grateful my hair has afforded me many compliments from many sweet people (even if I feel like they aren't deserved)!

I am grateful my hair is a source of comfort and relaxation for me. I know a lot of people consider their hair streasful and a chore, but my hair is truly a source of enjoyment for me.

I am grateful my hair has been able to withstand all the sulphate and cone abuse I deal out to it on a biweekly basis. (I'm working on it, though!)

I am grateful my hair has allotted me the chance to find my way here to the LHC.

If I think of anymore, I'll add them later!

shutterpillar
May 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I am grateful that it has a bit of wave to it, and air-dries pretty quickly. :)

Nedertane
May 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
1. That I have some!
2. That for being pretty fine, I've still got a nice load of it (3").
3. Straightener? What's that? :p
4. It's multi-dimensional color! Even though I have highlighted it, which I regret, but it's growing out!
5. That it's kitty-soft, even with splits. :p
6. It's only just at waist, but I consider my hair to be pretty metal. And I'm pretty sure that that's all I need. \m/

jacqueline101
May 24th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I'm grateful that my hair grows stronger longer and better since I found this site. My hair is easy to maintain and styles easy and doesn't get splits.

lilliemer
May 24th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I'm grateful for the color, I've never had a strong urge to dye my hair. I like the super dark brown of it. Now that I've said this I'm sure I will find 25 more grays in it tomorrow (although I am starting to try to embrace the sparkles).

I'm grateful for finally finding good information about how to take care of my hair. Growing up, no one, least of all me, knew what to do with my hair...layers, razors, heat styling, perms/relaxers...everything just made it look worse. Having the chance to take a more natural approach and learning from others here who have paid attention to what works and does not work for healthy hair is wonderful. I'm happy that my hair - well some of it at least - managed to survive the first 30+ years of mismanagement and stay on my head!

:pegasus:

MissTulip
May 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I'm grateful that I FINALLY (after 30yrs) discovered the miracle of coconut oil for my hair! Never could have achieved the length I have now without it because the climate where I live is just too dry and it always broke off.

Grateful for my 3B/3C hair's versatility. The curls usually behave and are uniform when I wear it naturally...and when I blow it out/flat iron, I can get it absolutely bone straight and shiny (fairly easily ;) takes at least 2hrs though)

julierockhead
May 24th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I am grateful for my hair's wonderful response to the good treatment and care I have learned about here. Split ends? Can't find any. Speedy growth? Yep. Frizz? Under control. Color? Finally, finally happy with my color using henna.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you LHC!

:bounce:

IanB
May 25th, 2012, 04:07 AM
That it hasn't all fallen out yet!

Long_hair_bear
May 25th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I'm grateful for my length as many girls around here have short hair. :(

Tota
May 25th, 2012, 06:12 AM
I'm grateful that it's finally virgin. I'm also grateful that it's colour is not as bad as everybody was teling me it would be if I stop dyeing (mousy, greyish, dead, sad, boring, dull - that's what I was told it would be). I'm grateful for the natural highlights I have. I'm grateful that my terrible layered haircut is getting better everytime I microtrim. I'm also grateful that my bangs are almost all grown out.

melwynnd
May 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm grateful that I get to start the right way.

I'm grateful that my hair grows fairly fast.

I'm grateful for my curls that will keep me from the "Mullet" while my pixie grows out and that make updos stay really well when it's long enough.

I'm grateful my husband said he thinks grey hair is sexy because I don't want to dye it anymore.

I'm grateful for all the generous advise and encouragement I see on this site.

Thenolegirl
May 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I'm grateful for:

- my changed hair texture as I've grown up.

- having hair.

- appreciating the natural beauty in my own hair that I've never had before.

- boosted self-confidence after discovering said beauty.

- a boyfriend who values natural beauty far and above any commercial product, style, fashion etc. and loves me for who I am and my old-fashioned tastes.

*Side note: my hair has always been virgin, and I felt badly sometimes because I saw all the dyed and cut styles in magazines and movies that I thought were needed to look good. Now seeing all the lovely heads of hair on LHC, and noticing that mine is not far from it, has given me a whole new insight on what beautiful hair really is. :)

Arashi
May 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM
-I am grateful for my hair's resilience: I can chemical dye it, and as long as I treat it very well otherwise, I get away with no detectable damage
-For its texture. Even though it seems a little boring on its own, my hair is very easy to encourage to be straighter or wavier depending on how I want it for the day. It holds braidwaves very well and making it straighter is as simple as combing periodically after my shower while it is still damp.
-It's thickness: it's not all that thick by LHC standards, but it's plenty thick enough for me!
-The growth rate.. it can annoy me with the frequency I have to dye my roots, but I'm trying to grow my hair long! Good growth rate is good!

DarkCurls
May 25th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'm grateful for my curls. I used to fight with them :mad: because I started out with straight hair which became wavy, wurly, and then curly (don't ask me how), only I didn't realise it and kept treating it like straight hair. Now I know what to do with them (ie: don't brush them), I love them.
I'm grateful for this forum which is like the Bible of long hair care. :p
I'm grateful for the length of my hair, because even though I'm always complaining about how short it is, it's actually managed to retain an impressive amount of length considering how I've been treating it.

HairySherry
May 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I really like this! I'm not having the best week and I find that focusing on good things is always a great remedy for "turning that frown upside down!" so to speak.

I'm grateful...
- to have hair at all
- that I love my natural hair color and have never really been tempted to dye it.
- that I have my mother's hair. When I look in the mirror sometimes it makes me think of her.
- for the memories of my grandmother washing and plaiting my hair as a little girl. Some day when she is gone, those memories will sustain me.
- for comments saying my hair is pretty, and for not caring that it might make me shallow
- for a supportive hair-loving community like LHC

And lastly... I'm not sure if it's gratitude or not, but I love the way my hair feels brushing against my back. When I get home from work and change into my sweats, I sit on my bed with no shirt on, brush out my hair and just - sway - back and forth for a little while enjoying the way my hair feels brushing against my skin. Ah, love.

And right now... I'm grateful for the smile I've got on my face!

LadyTheta
May 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I am grateful for "good hair genes", a generously full and thick mane of wurly hair!

HairySherry
May 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I forgot to add... I'm grateful for the 4-strand box/round braid. I swear, it's like turning your hair into a piece of jewelry. It's impressive as hell and people always tell me my hair looks amazing.

Neecola
May 25th, 2012, 04:42 PM
What a sweet idea for a thread!

I am grateful for LHC where I have learned so much to bring out my hair's natural beauty.

It is very fine and thin but super soft and luxurious feeling and very healthy. Like many here, I am grateful to have hair at all.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 05:25 PM
That it's still here!! LOL

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I forgot to add... I'm grateful for the 4-strand box/round braid. I swear, it's like turning your hair into a piece of jewelry. It's impressive as hell and people always tell me my hair looks amazing.

Do you know about hair jewelry? They used to make jewelry out of hair which strikes me as incredibly intricate and tedious work. They used to make memorial pictures or jewelry out of hair.

heidi w.

Vanilla
May 25th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I'm grateful for my naturally highlighted dark blonde hair color. I'm grateful for finding this site and the GM salon. Those ladies know how to treat your hair well!

catamonica
May 25th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I am grateful that my hair started growing, after two years of not growing. And that it is healthy.

Shell
May 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I am grateful that I like my natural hair color, because I wouldn't like to have to dye it to love it. I'm also grateful that I have at least a normal growth rate and that I don't get many split ends.

I'm also grateful that I've been able in the past to grow my hair past classic. I may not get back there, but I'm glad I had that experience. :)

Laur
May 25th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm grateful that my hair is relatively slow to tangle.

I'm grateful that it's long enough to do basic cinnabuns and log-roll twists.

I'm grateful that this time around, I can grow with confidence that I'm treating my hair properly and achieve my hair goals with healthy, happy hair.

Annibelle
May 25th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I'm grateful for my hair color. It might seem boring to a lot of people, but in person, at least, I think it helps me to stand out without looking unnatural because my hair is dark and my skin and eyes are light. It brings some color to me, but it's still dark and rich and sort of suits my personality.

I'm also beginning to appreciate my hair type. As a mid-range 2, my hair is never CONSISTENT-- I can never tell whether it's going to be straight or wavy-- but I can change that whenever I want without damage. Want to wear it straight? Comb it wet. Want it wavy? Don't comb it, then scrunch. I don't have to deal with rollers or straighteners. I feel happy and appreciative for that. :)

meishkamooshka
May 26th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I'm grateful for my hair color. It might seem boring to a lot of people, but in person, at least, I think it helps me to stand out without looking unnatural because my hair is dark and my skin and eyes are light. It brings some color to me, but it's still dark and rich and sort of suits my personality.

I'm also beginning to appreciate my hair type. As a mid-range 2, my hair is never CONSISTENT-- I can never tell whether it's going to be straight or wavy-- but I can change that whenever I want without damage. Want to wear it straight? Comb it wet. Want it wavy? Don't comb it, then scrunch. I don't have to deal with rollers or straighteners. I feel happy and appreciative for that. :)

Your hair really does suit your features, and it really makes for a striking contrast. :)

Annibelle
May 26th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks, Meishkamooshka! :heart:

browneyedsusan
May 26th, 2012, 06:10 AM
1) That I have some, and that it does grow back. I've not been through cancer and chemo, but have seen others that have.
2) LHC--I love my hair now. I've learned so much from all of you. My hair is not too thin, and I am not too old. --what was I thinking?!!-- thank you.

HairySherry
May 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Heidi W - When I was younger I read a story about an old woman who had a locket woven from hair of the man she had loved, long dead. That was about the only thing I'd ever heard about hair "jewelry." It does sound tedious, but I bet it's beautiful!

Venefica
May 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I am grateful for my thickness, about 4 inches is not bad for Scandinavian hair.

I am grateful for my hair's strength, it generally do not split and is very healthy.

I am grateful for my hair being pin straight, I love the look of curls but I want a Morticia Addams look for my hair and then pin straight is just right.

I am grateful for reaching classic length, it took allot of hard work.

I am grateful for my hair being beautiful. I am not particularly good looking, that is just how it is, but few around hair can say they have the same hair as me.

OilPaint
May 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I love this idea!
I am grateful that my hair is thick, but not as thick as my sister's. (She has gorgeous hair but it's too thick for the climate)

I am grateful for my hair because I fell in love with a man that likes long hair.

I am grateful for my hair in the winter because I can use it as earmuffs and a scarf at the same time.

I am grateful for its length, because when I was little I looked at my barbie doll and wished I could have hair as long as hers.

I am grateful that when little girls see me with my hair down, they usually react the same way; wanting to touch my hair, tell me about their favorite princesses, and about how long they want their hair to be when they grow up. :cloud9:

RitaCeleste
May 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Its long. Its still on my head. It seems to be growing slowly. Its strong. Its thin but has lots of texture and poof power so it looks like there is tons of it. I haven't done more to it than cut a light fringe to cover forehead wrinkles or trim the ends to gradually cut out old layers in years. It has taken years of coloring and right now its still strong. Its plain and I like it that way. I can throw on a bohemian looking shirt and roll with it. That's my style now, relaxed and unprofessional, totally under-done and I like it! I did learn how to do a figure 8 bun and use a hair-stick. Maybe I'll go put it up since I'm thinking about it. I'm loving my hair plain and simple!

Strelitzia
May 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I'm grateful that's it grown this long - I inherited my hair from my grandmother and her hair never grew much beyond shoulder length even though she hardly ever trimmed it.
I'm grateful for the waves and curls.
I'm grateful that I don't have to wash it every day.
I'm grateful that I can style it in flexi-rollers or rags and the curls stay in for days.
I'm grateful that I have relatively thick hair.
I'm grateful that I could be my Daddy's wurly-girl! :D
And of course I'm grateful for all the wisdom on LHC!!

PixxieStix
May 26th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I am grateful that I have a beautiful natural auburn color, and that I have the freedom of choice to get it even more red with henna.

I am grateful that even after 14 years of pulling, the hair on my crown still keeps growing back in.

I am grateful that I am at a point where my hair and I are friends, not enemies anymore.

I am grateful that my hair is thick, strong, and that it will be able to grow long. :)

Neneka
May 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I am grateful for having hair that doesn't tangle. I also like it because it's light enough for veggie dyes. I am grateful because it grows, not super fast but it grows!

akilina
May 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I am grateful for my hair not just falling out of all the times I've bleached to white blond then to black over and over again and it still being very intact and in good shape not to mention I have thin hair..

Deborah
May 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I am grateful that my hair is long, shiny, a pretty color, and that it grows unusually fast.

Micayla47
May 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
i love this thread. i'm grateful that my hair has survived 30 years of serious abuse! and i'm grateful that i've come to accept the fine, straight texture of my hair, instead of wishing for thick curly hair. who knew? there was nothing ever "wrong" with my hair. the problem was that my eyes were broken!

Suze2012
May 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
This might be the most honest post I have ever written..and it sorta hurts quite a lot.

Just that it eventually grew after 20 years of trying to grow it.

It also doesn't give me headaches like my Mum said it would.

It makes me feel feminine at last..kind of...
..and I grew up feeling like a boy and being treated like one because Mum always cut my hair so short that everyone thought I was a boy.

My Mum used to have tailbone auburn wavy/curly beautiful hair too.

Once as a child my hair got to the point where it 'just touched' my shoulders.
I wasn't allowed it after that and had it all cut really short again.

Mum passed away 3 weeks before I turned 18...and I started to grow it..and have done ever since..but with a lot of awful hairdressers intervention! Grrr!

I never thought it 'could' grow until i stopped going for haircuts.
Last week I had a cut and 'I' chose to have it a little shorter...for the first time ever..and I am 43!

RIP Mum and it's been 25 years since we lost you but oh how I wish I had been allowed to have long girly hair like everyone else did (even my brother!!) when I grew up in the 70's and 80's.

Amapola
May 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Grateful that in spite of all those years of neglect, my hair is still shiny and happy and growing.

Grateful for the color! I love the color of my hair.

Grateful for how it feels like silk now that I take much better care of it.

Yay, hair! :cheese:

terylenerose
May 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'm grateful that it's thick(ish). Beyond that? Nothing much. Okay, it also matches my eyebrows pretty well, but whatever.

Annibelle
May 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I adore your sig pic, terylenerose! Your hair looks gorgeous!

GoblinTart
May 26th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I am grateful that i HAVE hair.

My thin spot is in a place that i can easily hide.

That all my damage from Perms and dyes is gone.

That now that i don't try to make it something it isn't, I can see what kind of hair it actually is.

That my hair grows fast.

It can hold a style easily.

That my husband loves my hair. He convinced me to get rid of my flat iron and embrace my weird curls and frizz halo.

That if i have a bad haircut, my curls can hide it :)

amanda_the_tall
May 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
i'm grateful that i have hair. i'm grateful that although i can't really do anything with it, it's super soft (or was, before i dyed it two years ago, ugh). i'm grateful that the scars on my scalp aren't any bigger than they are, otherwise i'd look bald on my crown area. i'm grateful that i don't have any scalp problems besides the occasional sunburn. i'm grateful that it smells good today :)

hazelscythe
May 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I am thankful I have hair.
I am thankful that my hair seems to have forgiven me and is cooperating.

Shepherdess
May 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I am grateful that I have hair and that it is very long, shiny and healthy. My hair is one of the few things that actually makes me feel somewhat attractive.

julierockhead
May 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I am grateful for what seems to be a total lack of split ends. Thank you hair!

Tisiloves
May 27th, 2012, 05:12 AM
I'm grateful for my easy going, thick(ish) hair (and the fact that I don't have to straighten my fringe) :)

Heatherzilla
May 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Curls, curls, curls, curls, curls, curls. I love my curls. <3

ilandree
May 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I am grateful for my hair color (which I hated at times as a child, and coincidentally -and sadly- my eldest blond headed daughter hates her color currently) but I really love it now, especially in the sun and I am grateful that my hair is soft, its one of my favorite things about it. Yay hair!

Mayflower
May 27th, 2012, 11:19 AM
The fact that I have hair and that it's thick. Whenever I feel down about my hair, I remind myself of the fact that some people have extremely thin or no hair at all. It must be horrible to lose hair because of cancer or have massive sheds without knowing the reason.

I'm also happy that my hair is coarse. I can basically do anything to it and it will be fine. I love the fact that I can easily get a lot of volume, that it grows fast and that it can grow long with a thick hemline!

Jing
May 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'm grateful that my hair isn't a colour so objectionable to me that my vanity would force me to dye it. I can at least stand the red tint. Sort of.

Annibelle
May 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Jing, I think your hair color is fabulous!!!

lapushka
May 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm grateful for my thickness, for my waves, my F hair (even though I hate it sometimes), for the way my hair grows (with a pretty nice and even hem).

julierockhead
May 27th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I'm grateful it grows almost an inch a month with just a little extra prodding (castor oil and MSM).

BrightEyes
May 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I'm grateful that my hair is so soft and silky. Even though my hair has some damage I often get compliments on how soft and silky it feels. One of the few perks of having fine hair I guess.

I'm also grateful for the crop of new baby hairs that have started growing since I significantly reduced heat styling. They remind me that even though I often get frustrated with my hair, I'm still doing something right.

tori93
May 28th, 2012, 01:55 AM
the things i'm grateful for are also negatives but anyway :D It's very thick so doesn't get damaged easily and holds its shape and style. Also, i like my natural blonde hair colour, it's a lot darker than it used to be but i like it.

Garnet66
May 28th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I'm grateful that I still have hair after everything I've put it through.

julierockhead
May 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm grateful it is finally past BSL and responding to good treatment.