PDA

View Full Version : can i use Feye's Method on Shoulder-length hair?

DarkAlice
May 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
title says it all

spidermom
May 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I don't think so.

Vampyria
May 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I think you could, but I'm not sure, I haven't tried it myself. Because you couldn't see the ends while you trim, you could help yourself with the mirror. And depends on what kind of shape do you want. If you do straight across or U-shape you would probably need some help.

swearnsue
May 24th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I think if your hair is really really uneven, then why not try it, just to cut it even. Just be sure to tilt your head just a bit down like you are going to look at your toes, but not that far.

lapushka
May 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
No you can't, because you cannot bring the hair forward to cut it. You'd need someone to cut it for you.

Bunnysaur
May 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
This is probably going to sound silly, but I keep seeing Feye's method talked about here and I don't know what it is :( I tried to search for it but came up with nothing. Can anyone link me to the original thread or article?
TIA

/threadjacking :p

Apriori
May 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Feyes self trim method http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/ :)

battles
May 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
What length could you most likely do Feye's easily?

lapushka
May 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
What length could you most likely do Feye's easily?

When you can bring your hair round to the front, I guess, if you don't want a V shape, that is (because there it's not needed). I'm guessing BSL or something like that.

Anje
May 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM
My guess is that you could probably start doing it around collarbone or APL, especially if you look at your toes during the ponytailing stage for the blunt cut. But it'd probably be useful to have a second person around for those shorter lengths where you're more likely to disturb the hair by pulling it over your shoulder.

bumblebums
May 24th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I started at APL. It might depend on thickness--thinner hair might be able to do it at shorter lengths...

I wouldn't do it at shoulder length. If your hands are itching for a trim, wear your hair up for a couple of weeks, and see if that doesn't pass. If you really need a cut because your hair is damaged, ask a trusted hair stylist to take off just the ends.

Mesmerise
May 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I think it'd work IF you had someone to do the cutting for you! I don't see how you'd be able to bring it around properly to trim if it was that short (mine became sort of difficult at APL to use Feye's method!).

I did use it on my DD's hair though (cause it seemed simpler than just trying to trim it properly, given the length) and it worked quite well, but only because I could ponytail it at the back of her head and see it myself. Made for a very quick trim and tidy!

ladonna
May 24th, 2012, 05:46 PM
My sister in law keeps her hair collar length by using a method similar to feye's method.

swearnsue
May 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM
If the low pony is pulled down in back and you grab it securely with one hand you can cut with the other. It's a little risky because you would be going by feel because with one hand full of pony, the other with scissors, you can't hold the mirror. I've never done it but I would try it and probably will when my hair gets longer. I wish the OP had some photos to look at, then we might get some more ideas so she can cut her own hair and not have to rely on hairdressers. Keeping it up until it's longer is a good idea and Flexi-8s are excellent for that! Any links Lapushka???? Enabling opportunity here! LOL.

GlennaGirl
May 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I do, but then again, I'm a crazyperson (yup, all one word, just like that).

I am NOT saying anyone else should take this risk with his/her hair.

I put the ponytail in, reach behind, pull down just like Feye's directions say. Then I crimp the very bottom of the tail tightly between two fingers horizontally, then verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully move my fingers to the side until I can see in the mirror, and then I cut along that horizontal.

jacqueline101
May 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'd try to wait until you're at bra strap length and longer.

turtlelover
May 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM
It worked quite well when my hair was just above collarbone

barely.there
May 24th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have APL hair, and it is a little difficult to do feye's method. Instead of just one ponytail in the back, I do a ponytail on each side, trim, and then check the hemline with a couple mirrors to see of its even.