PDA

View Full Version : neem oiled my head last night....

gonzobird
May 24th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I've been using the Hauschka neem oil for years. (We sell it at my work so I get half off, otherwise I wouldnt buy it so often) and its in my rotation for oilings.....(though olive,coconut and avocado usually win)

But last night I added 3 or 4 drops of straight neem oil per palmful of the Hauschka i was slathering on my head and whoa. My scalp this morning looks and feels amazing. And its usually pretty itchy. I put it through my ends too, and my hair feels amazing today after I shampooed it out. Shinier than normal. not less tangly like olive oil, but feels amazing.

It stunk something fierce, but I secretly like the smell and my husband doesn't care what I do. He just laughs at me.

The smells just about gone.. my hairs been dry for a little over an hour. Theres definetley some lingering stink. but I don't mind. :)

Neecola
May 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Nice! Neem oil is amazing for skin... never tried it on my hair because I've always been afraid that it would stick around. Maybe I'll give it a go over a weekend and only subject my husband to the possibly offensive smell. He has the same attitude as your husband. He's awesome :crush:

I've never used the Hauschka neem oil, only the straight stuff. Sometimes I put a couple drops in my OCM.

gonzobird
May 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
You're right, Neecola. Neem oil is wonderful for skin. I had a weird patch of eczema on my leg for years... neem oil and manuka honey finally made it go away. I do use neem on my face and it works wonders for any skin ailment. I love the stuff.

The Hauschka neem oil has peanut oil listed as the first ingredient, then the latin name for neem, so I don't know if its the leaf, the oil or what. Its the first hair oil Ive ever used about ten years ago, and its pretty wonderful. ( I defiantly love olive first, though) I usually use it in winter for my scalp, but those few extra drops of straight neem oil just amped it up and made my scalp feel wonderful. No itching at all. and I may be imagining things, but my lengths feel thicker. The lingering smell is kinda cool, cuz its mixed it with my John Masters Organics lavender and avocado conditioner. Makes for a earthy smell.

Yay for cool husbands. Mine gets really curious at all the weird stuff I do to my hair. He likes it. hahah.

Neecola
May 24th, 2012, 01:26 PM
The lingering smell is kinda cool, cuz its mixed it with my John Masters Organics lavender and avocado conditioner. Makes for a earthy smell.

Hmmm... that gives me an idea. One of my favorite EO combos is patchouli, tea tree and lavender. I bet that would help hide the neem smell without clashing with it too much. I'll give it a go and let you know!

Yay for cool husbands.

Amen to that! :)

Neecola
May 29th, 2012, 12:31 PM
So this weekend I tried some neem oil in my olive oil with the EOs above and it did a good job masking the scent of neem. I could really smell it while my hair was drying but once it was dry, it was barely detectable.

It didn't really make my hair feel any different but I bet it would be amazing for people with scalp problems/dandruff. Henna has really fixed my scalp right up so I don't have issues anymore but if I ever decided to ditch henna, I would definitely use this. I still might anyway.

Thanks for the tip, gonzobird!

Hgunderman
May 29th, 2012, 09:40 PM
This is great! I've heard that neem oil is great for acne issues.

One question--how much did the neem oil cost?

Neecola
May 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM
One question--how much did the neem oil cost?

I order mine online from Swanson's.. $6 for an ounce and certified organic.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWCS023/ItemDetail

If you've never used it, be warned, a little goes a loooong way. You'll definitely want to dilute it and essential oils help too. When I do use it, I generally use it at night as the odor tends to stick around. But it IS effective.