PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this technique to cut hair?

DarkAlice
May 24th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Ponytail method - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw76mmh4o8Y

My hair is a little above shoulder and i was wondering if it was long long enough to do this method of cutting? Will this leave me with even hair on the sides and back and give me a real blunt straight cut through-out all of my hair?

has anyone else used this method? i've given up going to the salon, finally have grown out my layers past the length I want and I can't wait to cut them out and have one length damage free hair, just wondering if this is the ticket because I will not live with another hair disaster for another 6 months from the salon, thank you all!:cool: i was gonna use feye's method but that seems to be for layering hair and really the blunt cut - one length hair im going for

Tota
May 24th, 2012, 07:10 AM
You need to be very careful with this. I suggest you also read these instructions: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I found this is very important when you're cutting your hair this way:

If the head and the eyes are facing straight forward, then the shape will end up like a very slight inverted U with the sides a tiny bit longer than the middle. If the head is tilted so that you are looking towards your toes, the middle part will be even in length with the sides. (from Feye's straight-across trim instructions)

DarkAlice
May 24th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I do have a creaclip, but i cant seem to cut the back by myself without juggling mirrors and i end up with crooked messed up hair, i just read so me of the youtube comments saying "terrible method just messed up my hair" I can't see how its such a straight-forward method and looks foolproof

Madora
May 24th, 2012, 07:16 AM
I've used Feye's self trim method - the blunt, straight across approach:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=198

Easy to do, great results!

Instructions for U shape and one other are up in the Articles (see grey menu bar, above) in the Hairstyling section.

DarkAlice
May 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I just found this for the straight-blunt even cut on Feye's site, i definately want the straight across one, not the u-cut or v-cut.

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/2389.html#cutid1

is this the most up to date method from Feye? Is there any videos on youtube of feye cutting her hair like this? My hair is a few inches longer then chin length but very uneven and i'd like to use this method but i'm scared...

what could go wrong just so I know? Thanks to all who have responded so promptly!

lapushka
May 24th, 2012, 11:01 AM
My hair is a few inches longer then chin length but very uneven and i'd like to use this method but i'm scared...

I think your hair might be too short to attempt Feye's method.

Madora
May 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I think your hair might be too short to attempt Feye's method.

Yes, I agree with lapushka. For better results, let it grow for another 6 months and then try Feye's self trim.

eta: Or if you can't stand the uneveness, go to a barber (not a salon) and ask for a blunt trim across the ends.

gonzobird
May 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I don't like cutting a big wad like that all at once. Even if you have super sharp shears, its kinda like sawing at your hair. Maybe If you had really fine long hair this would be good, but I prefer feyes as well.

Littlewing13
May 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Feyes is a much better method. This way, because you pull your hair into the centre you risk it going slightly concave. Might be fine for taking of tiny bits on thinner ends but if you have thick hair & want a blunt cut its likely to become uneven. Also likely to damage your scissors by taking such large chunks at a time, and as mentioned risk damaging hair with sawing action. (slide cutting is effectively the same as razor cut. Can cause split ends).

GlennaGirl
May 24th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I've done the ponytail trim and I loved it. Be very careful, obviously. And be very sure you want layers. ETA: Oops, wrong ponytail method! I thought this was the one above the head.

This really looks like Feye's method. Go slowly and read the instructions carefully.

longhairedlady
May 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I use the feyes method. It works good, but I have only cut very small amounts. I dont know if your is long enough yet to try this method though.

white.chocolate
May 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I've tried the ponytail method before. If you like lots of layers, it's for you. There's only one problem: the hair in front will be slightly longer than the hair on the sides and back of your head. The length of those front hair depends on how high (or low) you tie the ponytail. The higher the ponytail, the more layers you have. With the low ponytail method in the link you gave, you'll have less difference in the length of layers at the front and at the back. The hemline you'll get is U-shaped, as you could have guessed. The other problem about this method is that it's quite difficult to cut your hair from the ponytail, especially if your hair isn't thin. I cut with scissors and it wasn't possible to cut it all in one go of course!

gogirlanime
May 26th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'd be too scared to try that technique I just cut small pieces at at time and check at the end to make sure it's all even.

akilina
May 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
In this kind of trim there is over direction...
If you pull all your hair to the back and cut it it makes the hair in the front of your head longer. Maybe not enough to notice depending on how much you cut.
I would NOT recommend this method to anyone who has all one length hair and NO face framing.
If you have face framing it wouldn't really be as bad because your frame would fall out of the elastic. Also someone mentioned your body position. This will also greatly effect your haircut.

I thought this was going to be a video of someone making a pony tail on top of the head or right below the crown which would be bad. Doing a cut like that can take all the weight out of your haircut.