PDA

View Full Version : Garlic in conditioner?

julierockhead
May 23rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
I was looking at the Hairfinity (hair vitamins) website and they recommend crushing garlic cloves and adding to deep conditioner.

First reaction - ew.

Anybody ever hear of this or do this?

red-again
May 24th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love garlic but....
Spice is fat soluble and therefore the sulphury smelling parts of the garlic will stick to your hair very well I think so I'd imagine people would give you a very wide berth!
If its good for your hair, I'm just going to up what I eat - already about a bulb a week but I think I will sit out on sticking it on 'me head! ( notice not saying never, hehe!!)

Kyla
May 24th, 2012, 12:32 AM
What red-again said above, I've heard multiple times that doing this really makes your hair stink, and is hard to wash out.

Elenna
May 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM
From time to time, garlic is mentioned as an additive in some potion. But there are so many better (less stinky) ways to condition the hair and grow it. I can't think of a more off-putting thing to put into your hair. The stink would cling for a long time to the hair and everywhere. It is bad advice.

PolarCathy
May 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM
I was looking at the Hairfinity (hair vitamins) website and they recommend crushing garlic cloves and adding to deep conditioner.

First reaction - ew.

Anybody ever hear of this or do this?

I have put garlic on my head, not once. But I'm weird, yes? And it was a homemade alcoholic extract, not crushed garlic in condish. I also tried soaking and/or boiling it in milk and use that. The worst adventure was putting garlic powder in my hair for several hours because I was borderline dead (ill) when mixing it up and thought it was fenugreek. It soaked in nicely.

All-in all, no matter in which shape or form I tried, the smell lingered around. It was very hard to get rid of it. Very hard.

Take it from a person who uses raw onion juice on her head regularly. ;)

PolarCathy
May 24th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Ya! The best way for me to get rid of the smell (and actually the only way that worked, after the powder experiment) is to henna over it.

Jing
May 24th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I have put garlic on my head, not once. But I'm weird, yes? And it was a homemade alcoholic extract, not crushed garlic in condish. I also tried soaking and/or boiling it in milk and use that. The worst adventure was putting garlic powder in my hair for several hours because I was borderline dead (ill) when mixing it up and thought it was fenugreek. It soaked in nicely.

All-in all, no matter in which shape or form I tried, the smell lingered around. It was very hard to get rid of it. Very hard.

Take it from a person who uses raw onion juice on her head regularly. ;)

High five on the onion juice. As much as I personally love the smell of garlic, it's on the wrong side of the line dividing things-I-will-put-on-my-hair/scalp from things-I-will-not-put-on-my-hair/scalp.

julierockhead
May 24th, 2012, 07:44 PM
As much as I personally love the smell of garlic, it's on the wrong side of the line dividing things-I-will-put-on-my-hair/scalp from things-I-will-not-put-on-my-hair/scalp.

Yeah, I think I will go with that. :agree:

Thanks for responding everyone! I though I was missing out on some mystical magical thing, guess NOT!

jacqueline101
May 24th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm afraid my hair would smell like garlic.

longhairedlady
May 24th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Never on my head, but I eat it alot!

catamonica
May 25th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I have not used garlic, but I do add 1 capful or two of seasoned chopped onion to my shampoo, It makes the hair thicker.

darklyndsea
May 25th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I thought that there was some sort of no-smell garlic...? Maybe I'm misremembering.

julierockhead
May 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM
You can get deodorized garlic oil caps as dietary supplements. Still skipping it though!

Annibelle
May 25th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Am I the only one tempted to try this BECAUSE of the smell? :hmm:

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one tempted to try this BECAUSE of the smell? :hmm:

Mix the smell of it with thyme and rosemary EOs! People might very well get hungry and want to eat your hair when standing next to you. :eyebrows: