PDA

View Full Version : Biotin Question

DBBramble
May 23rd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Evening lovelies

I've got a question about Biotin...It's one of the ingredients in pre-baby vitamins as well as in ones for hair and nails.

How much Biotin does it take to make a difference? I've got a bottle of Reviva Liquid Multivitamin that's got.. for an adult dose... 150mcg.

Is this enough to see some improvement? Too little? Too much?

I just started taking it today.. We will see where my hair is in a month..

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips are greatly appreciated!

BB

julierockhead
May 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Overdosing on Biotin can cause renal failure. The best person to ask about vitamin supplementation is your doctor! Eating a healthy diet generally gets you plenty of biotin anyway.

gogirlanime
May 23rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
to put it into perspective 150mcg is 50% of your daily value I don't want to say it won't help because it will but I don't think it is going to make your hair grow any faster. Also, that is true as said above, too much biotin can cause problems I say no more than 1,00-1,200mcg a day and take breaks from it. If you eat raw eggs a lot you might need more because raw eggs destroy biotin in your gut. 1,000mcg is a little over 300% of your daily value and should be safe, although if you have any doubts ask your doctor.

MiamiPineapple
May 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Biotin is my favorite supplement and I swear by it. It is also a water soluble drug so excess will be excreted in urine or sweat and is unlikley to be in the body long enough to cause harm. I take 10,000 mcg per day and I have never had any issues only super fast growth.

I also told my grandmother to take biotin when her hair started falling out. She did and her hair grew back. When she went to the doctor a few weeks later, he told her to take biotin. My mom also takes it and has to get her hair cut more often to maintain a shorter length.

MiamiPineapple
May 24th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Here is a quick article from a doctor that was on Oprah about Biotin:
http://www.oprah.com/health/Will-Supplements-Stop-Hair-Loss

Madora
May 24th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Some members swear by Biotin while it didn't do a thing for others. Biotin usage has caused some to have acne flareups.

I've been taking Biotin for over a year but aside from faster nail growth, haven't noticed it doing much for my hair.

I second the idea of checking with your physician to see you're taking the proper amount.

firegypsy
May 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I take 32 mgs a day. MILLIGRAMS. Not micrograms. Renal failure? From BIOTIN? it's water soluble! it can be used to TREAT the side effects of renal failure.

RitaPG
May 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Renal failure? From BIOTIN? it's water soluble! it can be used to TREAT the side effects of renal failure.
It's water soluble but that doesn't mean it's okay to megadose on it. If you take too much it's okay in theory because you pee it out, but the liver and kidneys still need to process it, just like sugar and salt are also water soluble, that doesn't mean we can have lots of it every day.
While I find it really hard to believe that someone could take so much biotin to give themselves renal failure (unless they already have kidney issues) and even if people don't believe that excessive dosage can cause renal failure, I think it's still quite a waste of money to take more than what your body can absorb. Why buy an expensive supplement that you know will just end up being flushed? :shrug:

As others mentioned before, checking with your physician seems the best option.

catamonica
May 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I took biotin for a year. It didnt do anything, to help my hair grow. Keeping my hair up protected my hair. And my hair grew.