PDA

View Full Version : Your Minimalist Routine

GrowingGlory
May 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM
What minimalist routine works best for you (hair, skin, nails, fitness and nutrition)? What are the bare necessities? Which products and techniques do you recommend?

afu
May 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Face: wash with honey in the morning, OCM (coconut) in evening. Each followed by aloe vera gel
Hair: CO every couple of days, normal conditioner as leave in followed by coconut oil

I don't do anything with my nails, since cutting out shampoo they grow so fast and strong though

GrowingGlory
May 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
What brands of honey, coconut oil, and aloe vera gel do you use?

elbow chic
May 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
hair: suave professionals shampoo and conditioner, two or three times a week. Wait till dry to detangle. Braids or updos.

skin: Water Babies Pure'n'Simple SPF 50 in the morning. Tretinoin at night.

nails: short and clean? lol

fitness: dancing at home in the afternoons while the kids nap. ;) 50 situps a day and a super-basic homemade weight-lifting routine with two 15-lb dumbbells. Sometimes I go for a long evening walk, too. I have no idea what I'll do for exercise when the kids are bigger and I have to get a real job. lol

nutrition: Schwarzbein-principle inspired. I cut out most processed carbs a long time ago. I eat a lot of full-fat dairy, vegetables, fruit, meat and avocados and never count calories. I drink lots of black coffee, though. :laugh: However, her book did me a lot of good by convincing me to keep a lid on my alcohol intake, if nothing else!

GrowingGlory
May 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Can you recommend any books, sites, etc. about Schwarzbein? Thanks.

elbow chic
May 23rd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Can you recommend any books, sites, etc. about Schwarzbein? Thanks.

Her name is Diana Schwarzbein. schwarzbeinprinciple.com I haven't really messed around with her website but the book by the same name was really very helpful to me after I'd had my last baby and was looking to start getting back in shape. I'm in no danger of becoming a bikini model, but my weight is healthy, I feel good about myself, and I have lots of energy. :face:

GrowingGlory
May 23rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Sounds like just what I need. Thanks.

leslissocool
May 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Minimalist routine, well I don't think I'd call it minimalist but I'll give it a shot!

Hair: Wash at least once a week, oil once a month :lol:

Skin: Moisture with aloe vera gel mixed with vitamin E 50/50 after a shower, for face I use a sugar scrub twice a day, morning I use a tinted moisturizer and night I use Garnier Retinol anti- wrinkle cream, with an eye cream.

Fitness: I have a workout routine. I am doing Pump, basically do 800 reps for 55 minutes with various weights (from 60 to 10lb) 3 times a week, cardio 2 times although I'm trying to do cardio on lift days because I want to lose more body fat, so this week I am lifting 3 times and doing plyo 4 times. Cardio I do Plyometrics, 12 to 45 minute ones depending. I don't do regular cardio, like running.

Nutrition: Breakfast either a protein shake with fruit or egg whites with veggies, then I snack on nuts or drink milk or have pretty much anything as long as it's not simple carbs, like sugar free chocolate :eyebrows:. Then I eat lunch, usually fish with veggetables or turkey with veggies. Then I snack on peanut butter with carrots and more fruit. Then I drink another protein shake and snack more on nuts. Dinner is usually chicken/turkey/ fish with veggies, and somehow I fit an avocado every other day (like a whole one!).

My whole family eats this way, my kids snack on whole foods (organic whole anything!) and eat reduced sugar everything. When they eat pasta, I eat only the turkey meatballs and make myself a salad. We buy only whole grains for the kids/DH. We usually buy the same food (mostly veggies, frozen and fresh and chicken and lean ground turkey) and as a treat we sometimes (once a month/2 months) we buy sugary cereal.

GrowingGlory
May 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Sounds very healthful!

kitcatsmeow
May 23rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Honey Use as face wash and in SMT plus mixed with oatmeal and brown sugar for a nice scrub.

Baby oil as leave in and after shower body moistuizer.

Argan as face moistuizer and finish hair.

Baking Soda to wash hair and clean teeth.

Coconut oil for face, body and hair.

Shea butter for hair, body and lip balm.

Castor oil for under eye, neck and scalp pre wash.

jacqueline101
May 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mane n tail shampoo and conditioner vinegar rinse. Then detangler oil and monistat daily.

Madora
May 23rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hair: shampoo and condition once a month

Brushing every day 100 strokes with a pure bbb

S and D every other day

Always worn up.

I believe in "less is more" and the principles of Dr. George Michael.

Amber_Maiden
May 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
hair: conditioner, shampoo (sometimes), and ACV (sometimes) henna every month and a half on roots.

nails: short

skin: wash with honey

fitness: I walk everywhere.

nutrition: gluten-free vegan. can't get much more minimalist than that. lol

Natalia
May 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM
What minimalist routine works best for you (hair, skin, nails, fitness and nutrition)? What are the bare necessities? Which products and techniques do you recommend?

hair - primarily wo and wear buns whenever im not washing or sleeping.

skin - severe eczema makes this area challenging but i keep the ingredients simple and natural like oils and natural exfoliants. zinc helps alot too.

nails - i try to keep them polished but it just doesnt happen so i rub oil into them regularly, file and buff when needed.

fitness - lol i wish! best im capable of right now is take the stairs and thats largely influanced by my fear of elevators.

nutrition - alot of health problems and even more allergies make this endevor anything but simple but i do stick to basic whole food ingredients.

have to fix dinner now but will probably come back to elaboate later.

GrowingGlory
May 23rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
So...lots of oils, washing with honey, Monistat, 100 strokes with a BBB (I could do that...), whole foods, walking, ACV...wow! That's a lot. Any honey preferences? Is the hype about manuka honey true? Anyone using aloe vera gel or juice?

RocketDog
May 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Skin - wash with water, Aveeno lotion for body, argan oil for face.
Hair - S&C with whatever's currently in rotation, argan oil on the ends, comb/brush as needed, up in a bun every day at work.
Still working on paring down my diet, though as my garden starts producing I am sure I will get a much-needed jump start. Activity is 2-3mile walks with the dogs in the evenings.

My one concession to frivolity is nail polish, and I change it nightly.

DayDreamerDani
May 23rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
Hair: CWC every few days. Air dry with lots of leave in conditioner! I use bed head moisture maniac shampoo and conditioner and Rush sensories calm conditioner. I mix my conditioner with honey.

Nails: I get a salon manicure every 2 weeks

Nutrition: eggs and avocado daily, whole grains, protein. Biotin, fish oil, and womens daily vitamins

Skin: oil free acne wash followed by aveeno face lotion with tinted moisture.

Fitness: I run with jogging stroller w/baby 2 times a week. and P90X plyo 3 times a week.

Slug Yoga
May 24th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I used to use a separate facial cleanser, but after running out, I started using the same soap as I use on my body: Dr. Woods (http://www.drwoodsproducts.com/). I'm really liking it, my face never feels "stripped" of oil in the slightest although it feels clean--same with the rest of my body. It's quite cheap for such a large bottle, too, and it's very natural.

I have used it as shampoo before as well and that seemed to work okay...never used it long-term so I'm not sure what that would be like. I just got a shampoo that I like from L'Occitane, so I've been using that.

I'm living in the UK now and can't find my beloved, really really cheap VO5 conditioner without cones. Because that's what I'd use, both for washing and conditioning!

Slug Yoga
May 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Oops, double post.

Tota
May 24th, 2012, 05:16 AM
hair - CO and ACV rinse

nails - nail hardener, glass file and white nail pencil

skin - ACV facial tonic and ACV body rinse, argan oil

fitness - walking, hiking, running

nutrition - I avoid sugar, bread, anything made of wheat and white rice, I eat mostly vegetables and nuts, I cook/bake everything with coconut oil

henné
May 24th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Hair: CWC, coconut and castor oil wraps, ACV/herbal tea rinse every now and then. Henna or cassia (now deciding whether I should grow the henna out) every now and then.

Nails: I'm keeping them rather long because my hands look better with longer nails, but not too long. I don't do anything - just file them down once in a while. Use hand cream now and then.

Skin: Washing with a mild facial milk, rehydrating with Weleda rose skin cream. Almond oil under eyes and as eye make-up remover. Use Weleda buckthorn body wash and Nivea naturals body cream.

Nutrition: I eat everything.

Fitness: Walking, yoga.

embee
May 24th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hair: WO in summer, NW/SO in winter; updo except for washing and brushing.

Nails: short, clean

Skin: water, but if dirty then soap too. Not particular.

Exercise: walk daily

Diet: whole grains, veggies, fruit, meat/fish, nuts, dark chocolate. Beverage: water or decaf coffee.
Diet downfalls: potato chips, cheese crackers :( They can become a craving and I usually go for it to stop that.

Madora
May 24th, 2012, 06:49 AM
@CrowningGlory...

If you're considering brushing 100 strokes a day with a pure bbb, be sure you build up to that number of strokes!

If you just start in with 100, your scalp will HURT! That is because the follicles are not accustomed to the brushing action.

Thusly, start your brushing regime slowly with 10 strokes, and add a few more strokes each day. Gradually work up to your brush goal (whatever that is).

Here's my article on bbb with added information:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

GrowingGlory
May 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks, Madora. I've been brushing 2-3x each day now, at least 25 strokes per brushing, so yesterday I added another brushing. It didn't hurt. I'll certainly take your advice to heart. I've read your article and found it so helpful. Thank you.

shutterpillar
May 24th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I am still fairly new and am feeling my way around trying to find the best routine for me hair-wise, but here is what I am doing so far.

Hair: I use Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo and conditioner. I will wash with shampoo and conditioner every other day then CO (or skip a day) on the days inbetween depending on how hard I exercise. (I have found just rinsing off with water isn't enough to make me feel clean).
I put a very light amount of coconut oil on my hair after every wash and will sleep with it completely drenched in coconut oil 2-3 times a week.
I do not use heat styling tools, and usually only comb my hair with my fingers. I just find that is a gentler experience than using a comb or brush.
I began taking 1,500mg of MSM about a month ago in hopes to reduce the amount of shedding. So far I have only noticed a difference in my nails and skin, which have definitely improved.

Nails: I don't do anything special for them. Every once in a blue moon I will paint them, but that's about it. They probably get a fair amount of coconut oil drenched over them due to me putting it on my hair.

Skin: I have moderate adult acne, so I have a very specific skin regimen that keeps my skin clear. I wash twice a day with Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, then before I go to sleep I will follow that up with a prescription topical medication called Duac. I ALWAYS make sure to use SPF when I go outside. But that is mostly just to protect my tattoos. ;)

Fitness: I run for about 30 minutes 3 times a week, and do body weight training (specifically this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhHhDNjtxM) routine - LOVE Nerdfitness.com!) 2-3 times a week. Every now and then I will switch it up with different body weight exercises and different run routes in order to ensure that my body doesn't get used to one thing and stall out.

Nutrition: I eat mostly meats, fruits, and vegetables. I love broccoli, artichokes and spinach. :D My day will go something like this...
Breakfast: spinach egg and cheese omelet, water or orange juice.
Lunch: grilled lean meat with a sweet potato or stir-fry.
Snack: apples and peanut butter
Dinner: lean meat and two veggies. every now and then I will have a dinner roll or breadstick (with spaghetti) but I really dislike eating too many carbs. If I eat breads or noodles, I try to make sure they are whole grain.
And I will treat myself to something sweet after dinner about 5 days a week. If I don't get my sweets, then I get depressed and my whole healthy eating routine goes right out the window. I pick one day over the weekend as a "cheat day" and will eat whatever I want in moderation.
I drink a ton of water throughout the day... probably about 1-2 liters.

I have found that exercise and nutrition all play together to make better hair, skin and nails. If I eat well and exercise, it will show throughout my overall body and health.

Zesty
May 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hair - Wash every other day or every three days with Head and Shoulders shampoo, followed by whatever conditioner (currently Triple Nutrition). I do a dilute vinegar rinse at the end and usually oil the ends with EVOO when it's still somewhat damp. Then: buns and brains.
Skin - Um... :o I rinse with water, if I've been sweating I'll use my bar of Dove pseudo-soap to get the important areas. I use lotion after a shower, but not a particular brand.
Nails - I cut or file them when they start getting in the way. As a boredom/pampering thing I might use cuticle cream and some jojoba oil on them.
Fitness - I try my best to incorporate it into my day, walking a lot, taking the stairs, tensing my abs when I'm sitting, etc. Every other day I do a simple body weight strength routine (squats, lunges, plank, push-ups).
Nutrition - Still working this one out. I'm semi-vegetarian (I introduced fish back into my diet less than a week ago) and I'm looking to cut grains out and go more low-carb after reading Mark Sisson's blog (marksdailyapple.com), but I'm currently not in control of my own nutrition (which frustrates me to NO end), since I'm living with a host family, so it'll have to wait.

longNred
May 24th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Hair: wash every few days (CWC). condition it when it gets wet. sometimes I don't even bother to wet it. a little CO here n there, and that's pretty much it. I use Mane 'N Tail right now. and VO5 clarifying wash once a week.

Nails: they grow like weeds. I cut them off alot. I normally don't wear polish, but when I do, I do a simple french manicure. I use Mane 'N Tail hand/nail lotion. (not a great hand lotion but it IS a great nail lotion!)

Skin: I use a local goat's milk soap. moisturize w/ vasoline intensive care for sensitive skin. that's pretty much it.

fitness: I chase a 4 yr old, clean the house & haul laundry up/down stairs. that's pretty much it.

nutrition: I eat good food, homemade whenever possible, organic vegs/fruits, local meats, raw milk, green smoothies, and lots of water. I try to minimize processed foods.

Juanita
May 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Growing glory the best honey for you to use is actually the honey produced from bees collecting pollens in your local area. Gives you great health benefits more so than just buying a honey at the. Supermarket.
Manuka honey does have great benefits for healing and health.

GrowingGlory
May 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I haven't seen local honey available here but I'll keep an eye out for it. Thank you.

UpNorth
May 24th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Minimalist routines is always what works best for me:)

hair: (now) diluted shampoo rinse (AO honeysuckle rose), some kind of herbal or vinegar rinse, then conditioner (AO honeysuckle rose)
skin: CV soap bar goatmilk honey oat 3-4 times a week (when i´ve been on places highly polluted or when I feel dirty) coconut oil if dry. Same for body and face, but I use my CV shampoo bar on body cause they smells nice. Never gets acne or even clogged pores, only if I wear makeup for a long period of time.
nails: nothing most of the time.
fitness: I´m walking for an hour almost everyday, its making me happier and gives me energy, I feel restless if I don´t walk. I sprint when I have energy and when I want, and sometimes do some weightlifting (outside, never in a gym, I hate going to the gym).
nutrition: What humans are supposed to eat. Meat, fish, (not so much fowl cause you cant find organic raised fowl up here) vegetables, some fruits (not much though and not fruits with high glycemic index and low nutritional value), lots of fats and not so much carbohydrate:) I try to cut down on dairy except butter though. As much organic vegetables and grass fed meat I can find. I grow my own vegetables and spices.

proo
May 25th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hair: SO procedure, up in a rope crown braid daily. Occasional distilled water spritz, wiped through with a silky scarf, 2 drops MO on ends.

Skin: facial brush for exfoliation followed by distilled water spritz, sealed with MO.

Body: enthusiastic body brushing daily followed by the distilled water/MO routine.

Nails: short and scrubbed.

Exercise: daily yoga and dog walking.

Nutrition: whole foods, 3 proper meals, gluten-free

Iolanthe13
May 25th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hair: sulfate-free shampoo, catnip tea conditioner, kept up in a cinnabun

Skin: honey + rosewater to wash, vit C serum, maybe a little aloe to moisturise (haven't found a good sunscreen yet)

Body: sulfate-free body wash, olive oil

Exercise: brisk walks every day, occasional calisthenics

1nuitblanche
May 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hair: wash every 2-3 days with whatever shampoo and conditioner are in rotation. EVOO afterwards if the set is cone-free.

Skin: cetaphil to clean and moisturize my face morning and night, Ombrelle sunscreen if going outside in the middle of the day for more than 20 minutes.

Body: whatever soap/bodywash is around for underarms and girlie bits. WO for the rest. Suncreen is the same as for face.

Nails: trimmed and filed to squoval whenever they start to be annoying - usually once every 2-3 weeks.

Exercise: walking wherever I can, taking the stairs, gardening, anything with DS, housework

AngryVikingGirl
May 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hair: WO, air dry, need some more experiment to find the perfect routine

Skin: face: wash with warm water, then dry and rub with my not-so-soft towel. I used tp have acnes now and then even at my age, but nothing really helped. Now with water it's better. I need to wax my upper lip to get it best. Those tiny strands attract acnes. Rub face with my finger when I feel like. If I need some more cleansing, diluted ACV.

body: shower and soap

nails: short

Excercise: walking, so far

Nutrition:....better not talk about that. I'm here to listen.

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Hair: Water Only with a water mixture of citric acid powder and ascorbic acid powder. I do this about once or twice a week now. I brush 1-2x daily with a BBB, and I also go between a Hair Sense five-toothed comb and a generic peachwood fine-toothed comb. I always wear my hair up in a bun.

Nails: I keep them trimmed fairly short because I play the piano. I also file them with a special Revlon file that allows back-and-forth filing without damaging the nail. lol

Skin: I exfoliate with a special loofa cloth made from agave plants! I use only water to wash while exfoliating, and to moisturize, I will use an oil mixture of cocoa butter, almond, coconut, and vitamin E.

I have eczema on my foot, and for that I gently exfoliate the area when it's damp and softened from water. Then, while it's still damp, I cover the area with a thin layer of mineral oil. I find this helps a ton, and keeps the eczema at bay quite well.

Nutrition: Pretty much everything, but I tend to like rice, vegetables, dairy, and fish the most (I have a serious love for anchovies. Sounds nasty, but I LOVE THEM), and will garnish all of it with olive oil and lemon juice. lol I drink water, milk, decaffeinated black tea (cold and with fructose for sweetness), juices, green drink, and every once in a while a coffee if I'm desperate for energy. I also really like soda (I'm addicted and trying to cut down lol).

Fitness: I walk three miles every day.

TheMechaGinger
May 25th, 2012, 07:34 AM
My routine is really minimalist lately. Between working and school I don't have time or money for much

Hair: suave professionals s&c, occasional light oiling with coconut
Body: WO washing (I can't find soap that isn't totally irritating, not even natural ones), light oil when dry feeling
Face: I just wash my face with water when I shower, rub in a little bit of vaseline when it feels dry
Nails: rub in some shea butter when they're lookin' dry and keep them short. I paint them sometimes too :]
Fitness: Going at Insanity again right now. So sore!
Nutrition: Definitely paleo for me. No sugar, no grains and lots of good meats and veggies and rather than focusing on getting so many meals/calories in a day I just eat when I'm hungry which tends to be about 1-2 times a day. Works for me!

Amapola
May 25th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Hair: cwc every three or four days, put it up both day and night.

Skin: no makeup. I use goat's milk soap for washing.

Nails: cut them when they get more than 1/4" long; I need them short for my work.

Fitness: I live on a farm, so I do an hour's worth of chores (milking, filling water troughs, picking up bales of hay etc.) in the morning and another hour in the evening. In between I work horses, work in the garden, take hikes in the mountains.

Nutrition: We raise a lot of our own food, so pretty much stuff that does not come in a box or a can. Fresh eggs, dairy, meat, vegetables and fruit.

bouclée
May 25th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hair: lightly oil the night before shampoo, wash with mild organic natural shampoo (but I'm gonna try Indian herbs soon), ACV. Back to cassia once a month. Daily scalp massage with G5+Regulat

Skin: washing with honey, dry brushing, G5+Regulat

Body: dry brushing, WO, weekly scrub

Nails: polished with a 3in1 nail buffer

Exercise: walking a lot (no car, no bike!)

Nutrition: vegan, whole food

Other: derivative bath (France Guillain's method with gel pack)

SnowWhite
May 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Face cleanser & moisturizer: coconut oil (on a cotton pad).
I wash my hair every three days with SLS free shampoo and oil when necessary.
Body washing: WO, shower cream occasionally
Body lotion = coconut oil :)

and that's it!!

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Well, my routine got really minimal lately. Its been wash the scalp, condition twice, and then just co-wash it until it needs build-up removed from the neck up and real shampoo. Sometimes I'm so lazy with the co-wash, I only condition it once with a light one. I've skipped oiling, I've skipped wearing it up, I'm brushing it even if it fuzzes up. My hair seems awfully strong right now even if it could drink up a little oil.