PDA

View Full Version : Users of Nightshade Triple Moon or similar oils

lilliemer
May 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hello, newbie question to follow. Sorry if this has been asked before.
Those of you who use Nightshade's Triple Moon oil (sunflower base with evening primrose, thyme, rosemary, and several other essential oils), I would love to hear your routines for using it.

1) How often do you use this oil?
2) On the scalp or the length?
3) How long do you leave it in?
4) Do you require more frequent clarifying due to the carrier oil being sunflower (which I see as listed as a drying oil - I had BIG problems with argan oil, which is supposedly less drying, leaving my hair all crunchy and dry)?

many thanks!
L

pepperminttea
May 23rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Maybe four times a week? Normally a couple of drops post-wash on damp hair, and sometimes a couple more the next day when my hair's completely dry.

Length. I don't oil my scalp much generally though.

Until the next wash.

4) Do you require more frequent clarifying due to the carrier oil being sunflower (which I see as listed as a drying oil - I had BIG problems with argan oil, which is supposedly less drying, leaving my hair all crunchy and dry)?

Nope, not at all. I read that sunflower is drying, but I can't quite make sense of it myself, my hair seems to love the stuff. :) Makes my hair smoother, shinier, and much nicer to handle too. In terms of oils, it's definitely my Holy Grail. :D

I've never tried argan oil so I can't compare, but did you try pure argan oil or brands like Moroccan Oil that also contain silicones ('cones)? You can spot 'cones in ingredients lists, they end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. I like to use them a little bit, but too much dries my ends out. Perhaps that was the culprit? :)

Incidentally, you might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86719) on Triple Moon oil interesting, just in case you hadn't come across it.

Kristin
May 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
1) How often do you use this oil? I use it when I feel like my hair "needs" it. (Learning which oils your hair needs when takes time...) It usually ends up being 1-3 times per week, but sometimes I use it daily.
2) On the scalp or the length? Both.
3) How long do you leave it in? If I oil my scalp, I only leave it on overnight. I use it for light post-wash oilings on my length, so it stays in until the next wash.
4) Do you require more frequent clarifying due to the carrier oil being sunflower? Nope.

Good luck with it! It's one of my favorites!

Amber_Maiden
May 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
1) How often do you use this oil?: Either every day or about four days a week
2) On the scalp or the length? length
3) How long do you leave it in? till next wash- so a week or two
4) Do you require more frequent clarifying due to the carrier oil being sunflower (which I see as listed as a drying oil - I had BIG problems with argan oil, which is supposedly less drying, leaving my hair all crunchy and dry)? Nope. I've used argan oil which left my hair crunchy and this doesn't.

GRU
May 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Whenever the mood strikes.

Both.

Until my next wash... sometimes 8 hours, sometimes 48 hours.

Nope. I CO-wash only, no need to clarify at all.

lilliemer
May 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Maybe four times a week? Normally a couple of drops post-wash on damp hair, and sometimes a couple more the next day when my hair's completely dry.

Length. I don't oil my scalp much generally though.

Until the next wash.

Nope, not at all. I read that sunflower is drying, but I can't quite make sense of it myself, my hair seems to love the stuff. :) Makes my hair smoother, shinier, and much nicer to handle too. In terms of oils, it's definitely my Holy Grail. :D

I've never tried argan oil so I can't compare, but did you try pure argan oil or brands like Moroccan Oil that also contain silicones ('cones)? You can spot 'cones in ingredients lists, they end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. I like to use them a little bit, but too much dries my ends out. Perhaps that was the culprit? :)

Incidentally, you might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86719) on Triple Moon oil interesting, just in case you hadn't come across it.

Thanks for the link and all the responses! I have used the Triple Moon Oil twice now, once on the length and just now for a pre-shower treatment on my scalp. So far it seems great, my hair is quite shiny and soft.

I was just a little worried about the potential for build-up as I mentioned above given what happened to my hair (nightmare!) with the argan oil containing products. However, I never thought of the possibility that it wasn't the argan at all but other adulterating ingredients within a branded product. I tried the brand-name Moroccan Oil product and that basically turned me off to argan oil, so I have never used the pure stuff. I just looked up what I was using (the Curl Defining Cream), and it contains silicone (dimethicone), so that may have been responsible for the crunchiness. My hair definitely hates cones, I never understood why all the drugstore brand anti frizz serums and the like made my hair look terrible. I just thought I had Bad Hair. Sigh.

Carissamarie08
May 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
It's weird how one person hates cones and one person like myself loves cones. I can't get enough of my Moroccan oil!