View Full Version : A couple questions...

anime_length
May 23rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
So, I'm still kind of new here and I'm a little confused on a couple issues:

What does baby oil do for your hair?

Is there any discussion on how your diet effects hair growth, and/or what to eat to boost hair growth?

Do a lot of you take a daily multivitamin? I was thinking about taking pre-natal vitamins because {my logic might be a little off here} I want to have kids eventually and I think it may make me heather & a better ....um vessel? But I also think it may make my hair grow since my nutrition may be better all around.

Has anyone done juicing to supplement their diet?

How do you find out what works when there are so many options?

Are wooden combs better for your hair? & does the wood soak up your hair's natural oil?

Can you over do BBBing?

What brand of scissors do you use to cut your hair?

okay, i'm going to stop there. ^__^ If anyone has any answers for me, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Madora
May 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
So, I'm still kind of new here and I'm a little confused on a couple issues:

Is there any discussion on how your diet effects hair growth, and/or what to eat to boost hair growth?

Do a lot of you take a daily multivitamin? I was thinking about taking pre-natal vitamins because {my logic might be a little off here} I want to have kids eventually and I think it may make me heather & a better ....um vessel? But I also think it may make my hair grow since my nutrition may be better all around.

Are wooden combs better for your hair? & does the wood soak up your hair's natural oil?

Can you over do BBBing?

okay, i'm going to stop there. ^__^ If anyone has any answers for me, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Re: over do boar bristle brushing...

Depends on what you mean by "over doing". Some think that 100 strokes a day is too much..some think even half that number is too much. Some don't brush with a bbb.

The thing to remember with bbbing is to always detangle your hair first with a wide tooth comb. HOW you brush makes all the difference! It is not just applying brush to hair and brushing down. Also, consistency counts. If you brush your hair 50 strokes a day, do it consistently, every day. Not hit and miss.

I'm a firm believer in the benefits of brushing daily (100 strokes) with a pure boar bristle brush.

anime_length
May 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Re: over do boar bristle brushing...

Depends on what you mean by "over doing". Some think that 100 strokes a day is too much..some think even half that number is too much. Some don't brush with a bbb.

The thing to remember with bbbing is to always detangle your hair first with a wide tooth comb. HOW you brush makes all the difference! It is not just applying brush to hair and brushing down. Also, consistency counts. If you brush your hair 50 strokes a day, do it consistently, every day. Not hit and miss.

I'm a firm believer in the benefits of brushing daily (100 strokes) with a pure boar bristle brush.

I like to section off my hair and sit in front of hulu while I brush {lol} so I don't know per section how many strokes. I just find it very relaxing. [i also find it cleans my hair a little] but sometimes I find little hairs in my brush and I think I might be doing it too much.

joflakes
May 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have a couple of answers!

Do you take a daily multivitamin? Yep. I take one for vegans. However I have also taken MSM and skin hair and nails supplements. They don't seem to make a difference to my hair growth though!

Has anyone done juicing to supplement their diet? No, sorry!

How do you find out what works when there are so many options? Try one thing at a time and if it works, yay!

Bunnysaur
May 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
From what I've read here, it protects your ends really well and helps seal in moisture.

lol the whole forum?

Many of us do, with varying degrees of success. A good multivitamin will help you out as well as or better than a pre-natal vitamin will.

I know that annamoon fairy has, and her hair is :agape: gorgeous.

Trial and error! Experimentation! You'll never know if something works for you or not until you try it.

I don't think that the wood soaks up oil, but depending on your hair type a wooden detangling comb will do wonders.

Can you over do BBBing?
Yes. Overdo it and your hair will just look flat and greasy. And don't you dare try to detangle with one! :p

Mine are Conair, or something. I just grabbed 'em at Walmart, they're hair scissors and they work just fine.

HTH :)

Madora
May 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM
I like to section off my hair and sit in front of hulu while I brush {lol} so I don't know per section how many strokes. I just find it very relaxing. [i also find it cleans my hair a little] but sometimes I find little hairs in my brush and I think I might be doing it too much.

Yes, brushing does help keep your hair free of lint and anything else floating around in the air. It also helps remove dead cells and distributes the hair's natural oil.

It's natural to lose anywhere between 80 to 100 hairs a day.

The strokes are not really relegated to "sections" per se. You just bend at the waist, bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain, detangle it thoroughly, then begin to brush slowly, from the nape down to the ends. And to cut down on any static, follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

Also, mineral oil (aka baby oil) is great for detangling..but is used very sparingly, less than 4 drops detangled my hair beautifully. The baby oil is used on DAMP (not dripping) hair (put a few drops in a small container, dab a Q-tip into the oil, then coat your hand and fingers with the oil, then apply your hand throughout your hair. Then detangle with a wide tooth comb. Be sure the MO you purchase contains only MO and fragrance (Johnson and Johnson baby oil is what I use). Also, if you clarify your hair first, the mineral oil has greater access to the strands (clarifying gets rid of all the buildup on your hair. Neutrogena Anti Residue clarifying shampoo has gotten good reviews here).

The MO helps keep moisture in your hair too.

Excellent article by former member Ktani:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Bunnysaur
May 23rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
[COLOR=#8b0000]Excellent article by former member Ktani:

Sorry for the thread-jacking, but ktani is definitely a "former member" now? :(

/thread-jacking

anime_length
May 23rd, 2012, 12:50 PM
Yes, brushing does help keep your hair free of lint and anything else floating around in the air. It also helps remove dead cells and distributes the hair's natural oil.

It's natural to lose anywhere between 80 to 100 hairs a day.

The strokes are not really relegated to "sections" per se. You just bend at the waist, bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain, detangle it thoroughly, then begin to brush slowly, from the nape down to the ends. And to cut down on any static, follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

Also, mineral oil (aka baby oil) is great for detangling..but is used very sparingly, less than 4 drops detangled my hair beautifully. The baby oil is used on DAMP (not dripping) hair (put a few drops in a small container, dab a Q-tip into the oil, then coat your hand and fingers with the oil, then apply your hand throughout your hair. Then detangle with a wide tooth comb. Be sure the MO you purchase contains only MO and fragrance (Johnson and Johnson baby oil is what I use). Also, if you clarify your hair first, the mineral oil has greater access to the strands (clarifying gets rid of all the buildup on your hair. Neutrogena Anti Residue clarifying shampoo has gotten good reviews here).

The MO helps keep moisture in your hair too.

You are one awesome lady. ^__^ This was really helpful to me. Thank you!

faellen
May 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM

I wouldn't recommend a pre-natal vitamin if you're not planning on becoming pregnant yet. A multivitamin will serve you better.

Siiri
May 23rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
What does baby oil do for your hair? It works basically like any other oil, but often people have a preference for certain kinds of oils. Mineral oil (baby oil) is pretty light oil and I've had good results with it used in small amounts as a leave-in on damp hair, like suggested in the article by ktani (linked by Madora). For me it moisturizes, prevents static and helps with detangling, but doesn't cause stringiness like some heavier oil do.

Do a lot of you take a daily multivitamin? I take vitamin D and calcium, but they are mainly for my bones. I don't take anything specifically for my hair.

How do you find out what works when there are so many options? First you need to figure out what issues you have with your hair (dryness, lack of protein, split ends, frizziness etc.) and then do a lot of reading, choose a method that sounds promising to you and that generally should work with you hair type, then just try it out and see if it works.

Are wooden combs better for your hair? & does the wood soak up your hair's natural oil? If they are coated with wax etc. like they normally are when you buy them from a store, they shouldn't absorb sebum. They don't cause static like plastic combs can and they don't have sharp seams like some plastic combs have. Plastic combs have their advantages too, they can be used in the shower and can be washed in the dishwasher

What brand of scissors do you use to cut your hair? I use hair scissors made by a local brand, Fiskars. They are not an expensive pair, costed about 14-15 euros but they have worked well. I only use them to cut my hair so they stay sharp enough not to cause split ends.

Vampyria
May 23rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Yes many.

Do a lot of you take a daily multivitamin?
I don't take multivitamin, but I take vitamin B supplements daily.

I agree with Siiri, depends on what your goal is. Find out what they do and which ones may have side effects. I wanted increased thickness and also something natural, not tablets and such, so I tried the things that are suppose to be good for that and they work.

I use Ultron "starter" scissors.

Madora
May 23rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
@anime length...glad I could help. I forgot to mention that I only apply the MO to one hand when doing it. Some folks use both hands to thoroughly spread the MO..but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

@bunnysaur...Yes, Ktani has left the building. She was so helpful and patient.

Madora
May 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
@ Anime length..some other thoughts:

scissors...whatever brand you select, use the scissors on your hair only and nothing else. When you S and D, your shears should be sharp. Otherwise, you'll end up white white dots if your scissors aren't sharp.

where do you start...

perhaps you could find a member here who has the same hair type, and inquire as to what they use. You might also want to consult the hair products write ups (see Reviews - grey menu bar, above).

longNred
May 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Is there any discussion on how your diet effects hair growth, and/or what to eat to boost hair growth? you can never go wrong by staying well hydrated & eating wholesome foods.

Do a lot of you take a daily multivitamin? I do take a prenatal. I would love to have another child in the near future, and it does really help my hair & nails.

Has anyone done juicing to supplement their diet? I'm a blender, not a juicer. I prefer to get the fiber as well. I drink a green smoothie almost daily.

lunalocks
May 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
MINERAL OIL --- For the past 4 months I have been experimenting with oils, olive oil, Neem, Argan and the lavender body oil from Trader Joes that someone here mentioned. I preferred the smell of the lavender oil, but the best one that has worked for me is baby oil (mineral oil) Generic baby oil is thinner than generic mineral oil and thinner than the other oils and 2 to 3 drops on the ends and length below ears when damp after washing, and every night before bunning has given me great waves, without frizz. Also, my ends are stronger (thicker end of hair instead of a thin tapir to a point, and I mean the individual hairs) and I have had less splits.

BBB did not work for me. I comb tangles with a wide tooth comb with smooth teeth and brush, mainly to stimulate my scalp, every night with a wood toothed brush(Bass). I have some wood combs from Body Shop, but the teeth of my other comb are wider apart. The key is to make sure the insides of the teeth are smooth and without seams.

HOW TO FIND OUT WHAT WORKS? Experiment. It is tempting to want to make a lot of changes all at one time, but by making them one at a time you will be able to tell if that particular thing is what is or is not good for your hair. Give it some time. What might work for one week (for me, cones) might not work the next week.

I bought scissors in a beauty supply shop, but I think that small sewing scissors would do. Use them only for your hair. Make sure the blade is smooth and not serrated. I also bought a pair of reading glasses to help in finding the splits.

I find when I religiously take my vitamins - multi vit, B supplement (includes biotin) vit C vit D and iron - my hair grows faster. Maybe a quarter of an inch more per month.

Shesta
May 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM

Oh, I've been away far too long.. really? former? what's happened?

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Mineral oil seems to work really well for many people, so it's worth a try. Easy enough to wash out if it doesn't work for you. It's a good detangler, if nothing else.

I don't take vitamins for my hair. Vitamins don't make you healthier unless you're already deficient, and they don't improve your nutrition--and there's many micronutrients that no pill in the world is going to give you. If your diet isn't good, work on improving it--especially eating lots of fruits and veggies. That will help your hair more than anything else.

I don't like wood combs. I use extra-wide tooth combs from Hairsense. But everyone is different; some like wood combs, some like horn, etc.

Curlies shouldn't brush at all, or not much. Their hair is too fragile for it, and it just makes it into a bush anyway. My hair is between wavy and curly, and I can get away with a good brushing a few times a week, but not every day. Just base it on what your hair can handle.

I have Arius Eikert scissors. Not top-of-the line salon shears, but pretty good and should last a long time.

dwell_in_safety
May 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure of what to eat to boost growth because I haven't even tried to do anything like that. I am a very patient person. However, I do know that enough fat and protein are essential for healthy hair.

I take calcium and Vitamin D for my bones. I won't give up my wonderful daily or so cup of coffee. :)

I've never done juicing, but I do drink a "green shake/smoothie" every day at breakfast. Ingredients are usually some kind of natural/no-sugar-added fruit juice, water, walnuts or another soft nut, black beans, bananas, apples, another fruit (usually a mixture of berries), and a lot of spinach. It's actually quite delicious, and keeps me from feeling hungry throughout the day.

To find out what works for you, I would suggest searching for members with your hair type and looking at their profiles to see what their routines are. Start simple; don't go crazy with treatments, and stick to any routine for two weeks before deciding that it is not for you. If you end up CO washing or something else that cuts out shampoo, know that there may be an 8+ week period of waiting it out for your hair to stop looking greasy all the time. That is what it took for me. I've been at it for nearly eight months now, and my hair's been fantastic since that initial period. I am not sure how to search for members by hair type, but I know that others here have and would probably be happy to help you.

Wooden combs aren't any better for your hair than any other seamless comb. It's seams and hard edges that harm hair, much more so than any material. If you do get a wood comb, try your best to keep it dry. I do actually put oil on mine on occasion, and the wood soaks it right up and looks and feels healthier for it, but I've never noticed it doing so with sebum. Sebum is a wax, not an oil.

I use Tweezerman scissors, I believe. I found them on Amazon for about $12 iirc. Most any brand will do, as long as they are specified as hair-cutting scissors. Be sure not to use them on anything else as that will dull them slightly with each use, making them more prone to leave your hair with splits after a trim. The investment in a good pair of hair-cutting scissors is absolutely worth it. That combined with keeping my hair up has worked wonders on my ends.

moxamoll
May 23rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I use a Tangle Teezer pretty much exclusively for detangling and brushing these days. There is a TT thread you can check out.

If, like me, scents are a problem, you don't have to get baby oil. You can usually buy cosmetic grade mineral oil in the pharmacy section - they keep it there to treat constipation :p - but it's exactly the same stuff. ETA: I find that the MO works best if I clarify whenever I wash (I use ACV and there are whole threads about that. And I chelate whenever my ends get tangly, using lemon juice. You can also buy clarifying and chelating shampoos.)

I don't take any vitamins or supplements specifically for my hair, but then again, it's in pretty good condition. If you have a complaint with your hair, I think it's better to learn about it and pick a particular supplement to address that, rather than just taking a multi. IMO.

I bought a pair of moderately priced hair scissors from Sally's but sorry, I don't remember the brand.

There is a WHOLE LOT of info on this board, some of it seemingly contradictory. You have to remember that "your mileage may vary" (YMMV) for almost everything. The best advice is to only change one thing in your routine at a time and keep with it for at least two weeks. I tried several things that were great for week 1, but lost their awesome by week 2 or 3. If you change everything at once, it will be very hard to tell what caused the awesome or the fail! Also, make sure to check out the Articles section, as well as the threads - folks have done a really good job of collating and condensing helpful info from the threads!

Welcome and good luck!

bumblebums
May 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
[quote=anime_length;2133609]

I don't have any links to threads handy, but in general, a balanced diet that's high in vitamins and minerals and reasonably high in protein is your friend. Silica and sulfur in particularare needed to build hair proteins, so you could load up on cucumbers, onions, cabbage, etc.

You don't need a multivitamin if you are a normal healthy adult. In fact, some recent studies have shown that they might even do some damage.

Pay special attention to the routines of people whose hair is like yours in type and thickness. It's tempting to listen to people who have hair that you want, but you should try to make the best of the hair that you have. If you've typed your hair correctly, then it's fairly similar to mine. I have found BBBs to be a disaster for my hair; they make the top greasy and the canopy frizzy. I like wide tooth wooden combs and the CO washing method, though.

jacqueline101
May 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
I take a multi and hair skin nail vitamin. I prefer the comb only method let's see I like the wear it up and leave it alone method.

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
The concept of using baby oil for hair is because of the mineral oil in it (which actually makes up most of it, along with fragrance). However, if you don't like the smell of baby oil, you can get regular mineral oil where all the over-the-counter drugs are in your grocery store, usually where all the laxatives are. lol If you find castor oil, mineral oil is most likely not far away.

Mineral oil is very good for holding in moisture and protecting the hair shaft. I've used mineral oil for a little while, but only when my hair is particularly dry. It works very well for me, and makes my hair very silky.

It's all over the forum. One of the best ways to look for those discussions is to google "site:www.longhaircommunity.com" and whatever keywords you're wanting to search for.

I do not. Multivitamins are only going to do so much unless the pH balance of your body is, well, balanced. If your body's pH is too acidic, multivitamins will most likely go right through you, and your intestine won't be able to absorb the vitamins from it. So you have to really consider that. Also, if you have vitamin deficiencies, a multivitamin might not do much, either.

In my case, I like to take the safest root and get my nutrients from food. The only vitamins I do take are supplements, specifically cod liver oil, as well as probiotics.

Yep! I do. lol I either got a gallon of green drink in my fridge, or I'll make my own in a blender with kale, celery, spinach, banana, and berries. Yum.

I had to experiment, though always keep in mind that experimenting from one method to another takes time. You can't know if something will work if you only do it once or twice. You have give that method a couple of weeks, even more depending on what it is you're trying.

Also, what helped me to choose what methods to try out was to ask people here on the forum. Just give information about your hair type and your daily routine, along with any health facts about yourself and your hair. People will help you to find something, and then you can get yourself a list to go through. :)

Wood combs are nice, but I'm guessing you're asking whether wood combs are better than regular plastic combs, right? In that case, it's going to depend on how you're using said combs. I used to have a plastic shower comb, and I used it to distribute conditioner through my hair, back during my CO days. I also have a bakelite comb from Hair Sense. It's not plastic or wood, but it's imitation bone. I love it, and it's my favorite comb. I also have two wood combs, and they work very well. And these ones do soak up my natural oils.

Can you over do BBBing?

I think if you're causing excessive shedding and oil production from BBBing, then yes, you are overdoing it. But that limit is going to be different for everyone.

Bluh... well, the brand of scissors I have are generic. lol They're due for the trash, really. I need new ones.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Can you over do BBBing?

Diet absolutely affects hair growth and quality of hair; it also affects volume to a degree, although that's more genetic/hormonally based. The best hair care books I own all begin with chapters discussing the need for good food. Often people will eat better for their hair than the rest of the body since hair is visible, but the rest is not so visible. You need enough protein (whether that's meat or rice and beans/vegan doesn't matter), although it is known that some people have anemic problems when they go vegetarian. Just something to keep in mind. George Michael's long hair care book first chapter is all about nutrition and offers up a great salad recipe for hair. It has some nuts in it; lettuce and whatnot. I blanche some basic vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli and green beans and will include this in a salad that also contains quality lettuce (not the regular green for lettuce as that lettuce is mostly water; I get a darker leafed lettuce, and usually two kinds of lettuce's. Tastes better, to me. I will put in some shredded carrots, some tomatoes, some green onion, some avocado, my blanched vegetables, and I make a great dressing that I copied from Bragg's label for Ginger and Sesame Oil salad dressing that they sell.)

And you can't go completely fat free. A diet with no fat means that many vitamins and some minerals will never be taken up in the body because the fat is the carrier of those nutrients and delivery system for those nutrients.

I'm a meat eater although I eat a fair number of vegetarian meals per week, such as rice and beans of some sort. I make mock fried chicken in the oven.

It's the vegetables a person needs more of.

Lots of people take multi-vitamins and I will again, once I have gainful employment. For me that'll be B12 or the B vitamin. Others take a whole suite of vitamins and Ultra Hair Vitamins (which has loads of Vitamin A in it, so watch out). I can't take the Ultra Hair Vitamins. Within 2 weeks because I already have a lot of Vitamin A I get overloaded. In my body it stores in the fat cells, the excess, and I end up itching from the inside out first in spots about my body, then all over. It's terrible to itch this way as it never stops until I stopped taking this Ultra Hair Vitamin. Most people can handle it; I can't. A doc found this out for me.

The best wooden comb I ever encountered was The Body Shop's wood comb, that a friend of mine gave me. It worked very well; however, I have returned to my plastic Madora extra-wide wide tooth comb. Wood/Plastic generally doesn't matter. You just want the wood to be sealed. Unsealed you risk splintered wood which could damage hair strands.

Generally, no you can not overdo Boar Bristle Brushing (BBBing). The only thing you can do is use this type of brush incorrectly and cause damage. But once you know HOW to BBB, there's no absolute limit to amounts of brushstrokes, really.

I don't care about brand of scissors. I use 5-1/2 inch scissors which fits in my hand well. I hold the scissors in my right hand with my thumb in one circle and my fourth finger (ring finger) in the other circle and pinky around the little curly-que thing that sticks out. This is the best way to balance scissors in the hand so one can better ensure a straight cut, and not an angled cut. Watch the lean of the hand and the lean or angle of the wrist.

I hope this helps,
heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
[B]Are wooden combs better for your hair? & does the wood soak up your hair's natural oil?

Wood combs are nice, but I'm guessing you're asking whether wood combs are better than regular plastic combs, right? In that case, it's going to depend on how you're using said combs. I used to have a plastic shower comb, and I used it to distribute conditioner through my hair, back during my CO days. I also have a bakelite comb from Hair Sense. It's not plastic or wood, but it's imitation bone. I love it, and it's my favorite comb. I also have two wood combs, and they work very well. And these ones do soak up my natural oils.

Can you over do BBBing?

I think if you're causing excessive shedding and oil production from BBBing, then yes, you are overdoing it. But that limit is going to be different for everyone.

Um, generally combs were not made in Bakelite because the material was considered somewhat fragile for use in decorative and regular combing haircombs. A little something I learned from my participation in Antique Comb Collectors Club International (AC3). IF it's made from "bone" then it is definitely not bakelite. Bakelite is a kind of plastic that for the most part, is generally not made anymore. This was the era of lucite and plastics such as that. I'd be curious to see a link to this hair comb.

Um, I use BBBing for distributing oil into my hair length (not on the scalp). I think there's a kind of assumed or known end to BBBing that experience will inform one of. Just make sure you're not detangling with a BBB or using it on wet hair....that kind of thing. If you're causing excessive shedding, then there's a good chance one is not BBBing correctly as one should detangle before BBBing, no matter the hair type. Do not use a BBB to detangle; that's not its job. It's job is to polish the hair. I made a youtube video on how I BBB (and oil) so people could see what I do. Here's a link for the curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hairsense.com

Only bone combs, no bakelite that I saw....

Susannahscombs.com
They show, if you scroll down and click in, bracelets and pins out of Bakelite, pretty close up so you can see kind of what Bakelite looks like.

And to be super boring, if I'm not already...LOL...here's a Plastic History Museum

http://www.plastiquarian.com/

I got really interested in plastic because of my interest in antique to vintage hair combs. This is how I learned about plastic. The history is fairly fascinating, actually, or so I think it is......

heidi w.

longhairedlady
May 25th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ill answer these questions but I think everyone is different!

Not sure because Ive never used it!, I use olive oil and it works great for adding moisture. I mostly use it in the winter when my hair is at its driest.

So people have different opinions on what works. I think we are all different and what works for one may not work for another. I try to get more protein in my diet, but not from meat, and I drink wheatgrass every day. Not sure if it helps but I do it for my health, if it helps my hair then thats a plus!

No, but I eat very healthy, lots of raw veggies and fruits, I juice vegetables, wheatgrass, and fruits. I feel it isnt necessary for myself.

Yes I do!

Lots of trial and error!

I dont know if they are better than any other kinds of combs, but I use one.

Can you over do BBBing?

Hmmmm, I personally did not care for the BBB, but I dont think that I was using it properly. I think with a BBB you have to section your hair, and I just dont have the patience for that. I think if you use it properly it can be a good thing!

I had to go check because I wasnt sure! I use Logo Cricket. I think they were around 30 dollars and they work better than my sisters professional shears that she has!

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hairsense.com

Only bone combs, no bakelite that I saw....

Susannahscombs.com
They show, if you scroll down and click in, bracelets and pins out of Bakelite, pretty close up so you can see kind of what Bakelite looks like.

And to be super boring, if I'm not already...LOL...here's a Plastic History Museum

http://www.plastiquarian.com/

I got really interested in plastic because of my interest in antique to vintage hair combs. This is how I learned about plastic. The history is fairly fascinating, actually, or so I think it is......

heidi w.

Heidi, they're not bone combs. Before they renovated the site, they had more detailed information on the material of their combs. If you read on the site, their combs are said to made of organic resins, not bone. These are bakelite combs, and that's what they were called back when I bought my comb from this site before they updated the site itself. :) They're called "bone combs" on the site because that's what they imitate.

As for my thoughts on shedding and overdoing BBBing, I researched through this site thoroughly before deciding to use a BBB for myself, and yes, I agree that they are not to be used while the hair is wet or to be used to detangle hair. I use a BBB in neither of these ways, and never had. I do, though, still think that it's very possible to overdo BBBing; just like if you do anything excessively, it'll cause a negative effect sooner or later. Some people can handle 100 strokes of a BBB, others might find it excessive and experience more shedding with that much.

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Also, Heidi, I checked out those sites, and I'm really interested in the Plastiquarian one. History of plastics? I can't resist! lol

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
hmmmmm. Interesting, to say they're advertising bone combs and then call a bone comb a Bakelite comb. This is a plastic that was used back in around the 1930s. I have found most claiming to make combs out of Bakelite are somehow confused or flummoxed somehow. There is no way that bone is bakelite, or bakelite is bone.

Check out susannahscombs.com. She occasionally has a comb for sale from bone, and bone has a particular look to it that bakelite does not.

But I'm not the officionado of all things Bakelite. Just be careful when anyone sees something advertised as Bakelite. More often than not, it's someone who does not understand what Bakelite is.

That guy who made that historical website, I am not positive, but I think it's the museum/website created by a former AC3 member. Susannahscombs (and her bakelite items) is an AC3 member. There's a really great book by Jen Cruse out of the UK who wrote a book about the history of hair combs, which covers all materials that were used. She is the one who informed me that most combs that declare they're made of Bakelite are more often made of some other kind of resin, as apparently Bakelite was found to be a bit too fragile for use in comb making, whether a decorate or a hair comb. I really, really want her book. But it's too expensive. Maybe some day. We'll see how it goes.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Also, Heidi, I checked out those sites, and I'm really interested in the Plastiquarian one. History of plastics? I can't resist! lol

I know, right! They do have some photos, and the link to photos is on the left sidebar of the website. They have a whole page of radios alone; a whole page of swizzle sticks; a whole page of napkin rings (all of these can be found, not these exact ones, on eBay, for example. Just type in Bakelite and you'll get a number of pages worth of hits.) Kind of fun just to look at stuff.

I was reading about plastics in society. That was interesting reading to me.

heidi w.

PS. I've been pining for a set of bakelite napkin rings to go along with my red bakelite silverware. (I have two sets of bakelite silverware, one in better condition than the other. The better set came in a neat-o box that has bakelite handles and feet on the case, and the white enamel is still in tact on this set.) Dare to dream!!

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Well, the comb I have is definitely not bone, I know that. lol I have a picture of it in my album, if you want to see it. It causes no static and it is heat resistant. Here's a description from the About Us section of the site:

When the use of animal materials was banned, there was no comb that did not damage hair. The beauty industry was desperate to find a suitable substitute since they were very dependant on bone combs for their work. After some time, a new material was formulated from a 100% organic resin material. This material is hard and smooth just like bone, and can be hand carved, sawed, and polished to exemplify all the unique features of the original bone comb. They are also anti-static and will not melt when used with hot styling tools.

There has been some hesitation to use "bone" when referring to these combs as they are not truly made of bone in modern days. Some companies refer to them as "bohn". Various other forms of bone descriptions abound. The rich caramel color make bone combs easily recognized. They age beautifully and will turn to a dark mahogany color over time. When wet there is a distinct fragrance.

Be aware some manufacturers are making plastic combs of the same color and calling them "bone" combs. The fakes are easy to spot since they are usually priced around $1.00 and are very flexible with obvious seams to tear hair.

So that's the reason why the site has decided to call them combs, only because they imitate bone. However, reading from this excerpt, it seems they've no intention to deceive anyone, but trying to give people a similar alternative to actual bone combs. At least that's what I gather from it.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I now remember this website from a number of years ago...about 6 or so years ago. They flummoxed me then too.

heidi w.

caadam
May 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I now remember this website from a number of years ago...about 6 or so years ago. They flummoxed me then too.

heidi w.

Flummoxed! lol I love that word, and that's the first time I've heard (or read) someone use it. About time, though. :cheese:

Yeah, they seemed to have completely removed the bakelite information after the site was updated. The site itself was a very simple one, and now it's changed A LOT. I didn't even recognize it when I visited it after its update. It's so different now.

Anyway, I'm so sorry if I've strayed from the OP's topic. lol SORRY OP! :flower:

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM
By the end of the World War II, new technologies for molded plastics had been developed. These new products consisted of plastics such as Lucite,Fiberglass, Vinyl, and Acrylic - all which were molded.

And so Bakelite and Catalin become obsolete, except in the hearts of collectors who still pursue it today.

sourced from: http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/bakelite.html

I agree they're making their combs somehow, but I still highly doubt its collectible Bakelite.....

And I see on their website they refer to them as "Bone Combs" and yet directly turn around and inform the potential consumer/audience that they're Bakelite combs. They don't look like actual, the collectible kind of Bakelite. It's some kind of plastic resin, sure, but not particularly Bakelite. I highly doubt it. I've wanted to talk to these people for some time. Maybe it's a different recipe for plastic making. We have a dude in AC3 who is a plastic maker. He owns his own company, so I'd be really curious to get an actual, actual description of what this is. Just some stuff we sort of never get to know.

However, if the comb works then I'm happy, and in the end, isn't that all that matters, really? So here I go quibbling causing a problem....ah me. I'm a bad girl in the puddle.

We're fine. I've long wondered what they're up to. Just one of those things.

I saw your comb pix in your hair progress album, and I must tell you, you're doing a great job on learning how to care for your hair. You have lots of potential for really long and beautiful hair. You'll be the next generation of hair gurus!!

I have to go home now, so I'll see you tomorrow. No worries between us. Don't worry about it another second. As far as I'm concerned, you and me are fine. We just had a lively discussion that sort of led to no concrete answer, for me. But that is life. We don't always get to know for sure. Sometimes are a puzzle forever. LOL.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Flummoxed! lol I love that word, and that's the first time I've heard (or read) someone use it. About time, though. :cheese:

Yeah, they seemed to have completely removed the bakelite information after the site was updated. The site itself was a very simple one, and now it's changed A LOT. I didn't even recognize it when I visited it after its update. It's so different now.

Anyway, I'm so sorry if I've strayed from the OP's topic. lol SORRY OP! :flower:

I've got other fancy words in my vocab that I could dish on. LOL. I've got lots of them, but most people have no idea what I'm talking about then. Be smart. Knowing vocabulary gets you through lots of little humps. I does so for me, at least. Plus it's fun to throw a vocab word out there, on occasion.

heidi w.

firegypsy
May 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM
couldn't agree more Heidi! So many wonderful words and phrases are out of vogue and it would be simply a shame to lose them.

I'm still figuring the hair stuff out for myself. When I did have waist length hair I cared for it, but not by LHC standards. What I will say is that I am heavily against people taking prenatals when they aren't pregnant or post partum. They have high levels of folic acid which support rapid cell division. If you're not growing a baby that can be problematic as there are opportunistic cells that would just LOVE to rapidly divide with reckless abandon, and not to your highest good. Just my two cents.

For hair nutrients I do biotin, silica (for many reasons) and nettle infusions which make my hair grow like mad.

leilasahhar
May 27th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I don't know if im just going through a growth spurt because its summer or if its the techniques im using for my hair but since i've been doing my routines my hair is growing like crazy. Im loving this! You can look at my profile to see what all I do :)

anime_length
May 29th, 2012, 12:46 AM
So I just got a chance to read everyones responses. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice!

I've come to two conclusions after reading everyone's thoughts:

Firstly, although I have been using the BBB correctly, it's very possible that for my curly hair that process is just too irritating to my delicate & finicky hair. So I might hang up the BBB for a while, see what happens.

Secondly, I need better scissors that I only use for my hair. [I do a lot of random crafts and I'm always reaching for any pair I find.] Someone mentioned that using dull scissors creates "white bulbs". Yeah, I've got them. I think my bad scissors have been contributing to my split ends.

After everything I've read [and watch @heidi w.] I think I've been going about this thing wrong.

Thanks again!