PDA

View Full Version : need advice (and can't spell "scritchites", apparently

intothemist1999
May 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
ETA: oh brother, just saw my stupid typo in the subject! :roll eyes:)

I have "scritchies" but can't find them doing a search here, so I must be spelling it wrong.

A few weeks ago I tried a new shampoo and it was like an uber-clarifying formula. :( I've never had dandruff in decades, now I have to avoid dark tops if my hair is down (if up, the dandruff doesn't fall out).

My scalp is still a bit itchy. If I feel around, I find the odd tiny scab. Now, I haven't "felt around" in a very, very long time so maybe *those* have been with me all along.

I never had scritchies when I washed daily and I wash every other day now.

I'm worried about going back to daily while my scalp is flaky.

Any natural solutions? I picked up Herbal Glo for dandruff, which I used years ago. I've only done a couple washes so I may continue till I'm done the bottle. I *do* prefer natural remedies, though. Years ago I tried vinegar but it didn't work (then I found HG, which did). I was wondering if there are other ideas.

Thanks!

ETA: hmmm, does silica count as a cone? I'm cone-free normally.

CALIA SHAMPOO
Organic Moisturizing Shampoo

Ingredients: Purified water infused with certified organic (Alfalfa, Chamomile Blossom, Echinacea Herb, Nettle Herb, Red Clover Blossom & Leaf and Green Tea) and Natural Horsetail (Silica), Saponified Palm Kernel Extract and/or Corn Glucose), Certified Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Citric Acid, Botanical Tree Essences (Pine and/or Fir) as Preservative. http://calianatural.com/ingredients

Bunnysaur
May 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
I usually just get the cheapest shampoo I can find (usually V05 or Suave) and add some neem and tea tree oils to it to control my dandruff. It's cheaper than any dandruff shampoo, and I think it works a lot better. I've been using it for about 3 months now, and I only ever get the odd flake up in my hairline if I don't shampoo there very well.

XcaliburGirl
May 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
I just did two weeks of washing every other day instead of daily and it seemed to aggravate my dandruff. It might also have been from chlorine, though, since the pool just opened.

I use Nizoral occasionally and sulfate-free shampoo the rest of the time. Also, 'cones give me build-up flakes. Did that shampoo have 'cones?

BlazingHeart
May 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM
If you're getting small scabs, it sounds more like dermatitis than dandruff. I use a chamomile tea rinse on my scalp when it's irritated, and I haven't found anything better. Just make up a really strong cup or two of chamomile tea. After you're done washing, and after your vinegar rinse if you do one, pour the tea over your scalp. Let it sit a minimum of 5 minutes before you rinse it out. If you don't mind the possibility of lightening your hair a bit, you don't have to rinse it out. It's an awesome scalp-soother, and it helps with itching and irritation.

~Blaze

intothemist1999
May 23rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I just did two weeks of washing every other day instead of daily and it seemed to aggravate my dandruff. It might also have been from chlorine, though, since the pool just opened.

I use Nizoral occasionally and sulfate-free shampoo the rest of the time. Also, 'cones give me build-up flakes. Did that shampoo have 'cones?

I totally forgot about Nizoral. I used that in the past, with success as I recall.

No, it didn't have cones. It was a health store shampoo with groovy ingredients. I'll edit my original post to reflect the product better.