PDA

View Full Version : What is my hair type?

Barefoot
May 22nd, 2012, 11:23 PM
These pics are straight from having a shower washed and conditioned and air dried without brushing.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/froggy80au/IMAG0123-3.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/froggy80au/IMAG0122-2.jpg

katsrevenge
May 22nd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Not 1a.. you have some flip there. Maybe 1b or c?

Quixii
May 23rd, 2012, 01:20 AM
Looks maybe 1b/1c to me. Might change as it gets longer.

pink.sara
May 23rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
1b/1c. :-)

Although normally you'd type on clarified then dried hair, conditioner can weigh it down.

BlazingHeart
May 23rd, 2012, 02:07 AM
Looks 1b/1c to me, but don't be surprised if the texture changes a bit once you get past shoulder. I'm 2a/2b and it doesn't really show until I'm past shoulder - before then, it just looks like a little flip.

~Blaze

pepperminttea
May 23rd, 2012, 02:08 AM
I'd go 1b/c too, but maybe 1c - flip length is confusing. Was the conditioner 'cone-free? :)

Katze
May 23rd, 2012, 02:49 AM
My hair does that at that length, and I am definitely a wavy. It took me ages to figure out that my hair doesn't have 'weird bumps', but waves!

At least 1b, maybe 1c or wavier - when your hair is longer than that length, does it have more bumps and flips? Mine doesn't start spiralling until about shoulder; at your length, I still thought I had straight hair.

jojo
May 23rd, 2012, 05:17 AM
1b/c though it will be easier to tell once you have grown past flip length, beautiful healthy hair BTW

Barefoot
May 23rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
It generally goes straighter when longer and doesn't hold a curl unless it it set wet and allowed to dry in a coil.
Length is a bit all over the place as I have not cut it since having a pixie cut, so much shorter at the front and sides than the back. I don't plan on cutting it until it really needs it, I assume when I get some split ends.

terylenerose
May 23rd, 2012, 08:26 AM
1c. Maybe 1c/2a. There's definitely a good bit of wave there. Not 1b and certainly not 1a.
And if it's being weighed down at all, you may even be a solid 2. :)

spidermom
May 23rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
I'd go with 1C for the time being. As stated above, it may get wavier with length.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
I'm guessing it's 1b. The first pic is pretty straight. In the second there's a hint of a wave in a few places, so: 1b.

ladylowtide
May 23rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
I think it is at least 1c. My hair is 1b in it would never look that wavy flipy, in a million years. I think if you didn't condition your hair and didn't touch after you stepped out of the shower, it would look 1c even at that length.

red-again
May 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
I woud have said a 1a/1b like myself - I am wavier than you are so have put myself at 1b. Guess I must be a 1c or 2a! I have lots of flipping!

dwell_in_safety
May 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
1c, maybe 2a with a clarifying wash. :)

1nuitblanche
May 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
I imagine you're 1c since the conditioner is likely weighing some waves down. You are definitely not straighter than 1b.

Charybdis
May 23rd, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm thinking 1c for now as well, but it'll be easier to tell how much wave you really have once you have more length.

SnowWhite
May 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
1C I think!
My hair flips also but is a little more wavier...

And you can adjust your hair type later when your hair gets longer :)

Lucky_Lucy
May 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
1c for sure, you've got some wave there :D

Barefoot
May 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
I don't use a silicone conditioner.
What is a clarifying wash?
The flip is because it dries on my shoulders, once it grows past that length it disappears.
Generally the only waves I used to get when it was BSL was if I wore it in a braid or plaits.

Thanks for all your help so far.

ravenheather
May 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hijack. But...
terylenerose: My 2 year old just saw your siggy pic on the computer and said mermaid. I asked her if it was you that looked like a mermaid and she said yep.
Sorry hijack over.

MissManda
May 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Voting for 1b/1c for now. :)

Katze
May 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM
It generally goes straighter when longer and doesn't hold a curl unless it it set wet and allowed to dry in a coil.
Length is a bit all over the place as I have not cut it since having a pixie cut, so much shorter at the front and sides than the back. I don't plan on cutting it until it really needs it, I assume when I get some split ends.

So you have had it long before, and it wasn't wavy, as such?

Do you have any frizz? Wavier in humidity? As an 'in between' wavy who looks straight, the idea of using how your hair *acts* as well as how it *looks* helped me better define my hairtype.

I don't use a silicone conditioner.
What is a clarifying wash?
The flip is because it dries on my shoulders, once it grows past that length it disappears.
Generally the only waves I used to get when it was BSL was if I wore it in a braid or plaits.

Thanks for all your help so far.

You also have some waves up around your temple. I wonder if your hair might get wavier if you WO or CO washed?

My hair used to flip just like that and I thought it was from hanging on my shoulders, too. I'm mostly 1c, though, and I think I am wavier than you - my hair acts wavy, changes waviness on a day to day basis, gets frizz, forms spiral ringlets, etc. and some parts are even 2b. If I could, I would list it as 1b/2b, but that option doesn't exist.

To *me* - again, as someone with mixed type hair (mixed texture and mixed waviness) on my head who struggles with giving it what it wants, your hair *looks* mostly straight but has some body wave. However, if it truly gets straighter when it is longer (and even if you do do 'curly girl' things like CO washing) then you are more like a 1b than a 1c. You might want to list your hair as 1b/1c. My sister has hair like yours, though a different color - fine, smooth, shiny, with pretty body waves.

And your hair is very pretty. :)

Barefoot
May 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I have done CO once before and it gets limper and a little greasy looking.

No frizz at all, ever.

I had my hair long in high school, have had a baby since though and have heard this can change your hair.
It was never wavy. Except the part I tucked behind my ears would bend a little bit.
I never get ringlets, not even at my nape (i wish for curls there)

And thanks for the compliments, I am learning to love my hair.

KwaveT
May 25th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Somebody mentioned that conditioner weights the hair down and removes wave. My hair seems to do the opposite. If I shampoo all of my hair then it dries the hair out and almost loses all my waves. I shampoo just the scalp and condition from the top of the ears down, my waves come out in full force.

Prettyeyes23
May 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Before looking at everyone else's opinion, I looked at your pictures and I was thinking 1b.

kanaka
May 25th, 2012, 08:36 PM
its definitely 1b/1c :)

Barefoot
May 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Thank you, now could you remind me how to change the space under my avatar?

Annibelle
May 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm guessing 1c. However, my hair looked similar at that length, and as you can see in my signature pic, I'm around 2b. My hair keeps getting wavier as it gets longer, so maybe yours will, too! :) I've always had very flippy hair at that length until I get past APL.

torrilin
May 26th, 2012, 08:23 AM
You change it in your profile settings. There's a link up at the top <home> <userCP> <all albums> and so on... same area as the articles link. The one you want for changing your profile is the <userCP> one.

While you're fooling around with the menu bar of links, definitely check out the articles and reviews links!