PDA

View Full Version : Edwardian hair rats?

afu
May 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Do any LHCers use hair rats to bulk out your updos like are commonly used in victoran/edwardian styles? I suppose this is more aimed at the finer or shorter haired girls/boys. If so do you use store bought/extensions/sponge or make your own in the traditional way?

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Decades ago now, a former boss of mine gifted me a silver lidded hair receiver. This is how one can store shed hair to use as a rat, as they did in days of yore. All kinds of hair receivers are sold on eBay. The lid tends to have a circular hole in it.

heidi w.

afu
May 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
heidi w I have been thinking of buying a hair receiver for some time, they are always so pretty. I think my SO might get a bit freaked out by the idea, but oh well!

kitten1986
May 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
I started collecting shed hair in a ziplock bag kept in my nightstand... but for some reason it completely irked me and I had to throw it all away hahaha. Its good in theory, but in practice I just couldn't do it!

jacqueline101
May 22nd, 2012, 04:31 PM
I've never done that.

QMacrocarpa
May 22nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Page two of this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76336&page=2) has a detailed description of an Edwardian updo done with a braid extension to bulk it up, though the video clip of the demonstration (from "Edwardian Farm" episode 6) is no longer available.

Tisiloves
May 27th, 2012, 06:12 AM
In some of the theatrical styles I've done, tights/knee highs of similar colour to your hair stuffed with fabric make pretty good hair rats (fine mesh fishnets/crochet/patterned tights are particularly good because you can stick pins through them).

DoubleCrowned
May 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Decades ago now, a former boss of mine gifted me a silver lidded hair receiver. This is how one can store shed hair to use as a rat, as they did in days of yore. All kinds of hair receivers are sold on eBay. The lid tends to have a circular hole in it.

heidi w.

I saw an "expert" on a television antiques show identify a hair receiver as a container to hold cotton, but I knew better.
Yes, I have stuffed my do with a rat of my own hair. It works nicely. Use more hair than you think you will need because they mash down with use if you make it too fluffy.

TiffanieJean
May 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I've never heard of this! I mean, I know the hair style type you are talkung about, but I never knew you had to collect hairs and sort them? Google time!!! lol

RobieFlakes
May 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM
This sounds practical and lovely but the collecting hair part freaks me out too..probably because I pull some nasty "rats"(calling them that adds to the ick factor) out of a brush once in a while.

If they were kept well I guess it would just be a weave though and that's useful.

Slug Yoga
May 27th, 2012, 09:08 PM
This sounds practical and lovely but the collecting hair part freaks me out too..probably because I pull some nasty "rats"(calling them that adds to the ick factor) out of a brush once in a while.

Haha, totally, shed hair freaks me out too. It's "irrational" of course as it's not like it can hurt you...I think it's because it's disturbing to see something that was once a part of us, a part of our body, to be "separate," to be an object, as opposed to something that is part of an animate being.

Kaelee
May 27th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Can I just say when I read this thread title I thought something completely different...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/002-6.jpg

Carry on. :D

Slug Yoga
May 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Aw, so cute! Are they yours?