PDA

View Full Version : The Official 'Frizz' Thread

Suze2012
May 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
I am pretty new here and I've been searching around for a thread about frizz and what works and doesn't work and couldn't find one.

Please if anyone knows of a thread post it here so myself and other newbs can have a read. :)

So..my worst problem (when I have a problem) always is frizz! Always!

If you have it you'll know what it feels like: doesn't feel like real hair, feels a bit like a soft version of a fluffy wire pot cleaner which sot of sits in chunks...if you understand that I think you'll understand what I mean! lol!

What have you experienced people found that helps?

Any and all suggestions welcome! :)

Hollyfire3
May 22nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
I have frizz, but it just makes my hair feel coarse...no real clue what to do other than complain about it...:)

Suze2012
May 22nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Oh right.
Sorry! :)

I tried all the frizz ease and frizz treatments..but so far and I'm only learning but it has cut down massively with co washing..and a bit co condish left in and a bit of oil (and watching the weather! Obviously! lol!

I've had more frizz free day in the past few weeks though than I have in years! :0)

I admit it's tricky with weather...we had constant rain and winds for a month then a dry but cold week or too and now a heatwave began today.

I'm getting some kind of a hang of it though..just interested to know what other folks use or do to help. :0)

lapushka
May 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Frizz here also, although moisture helps heaps. Moisture (shampoo-condition-condition), a leave-in on top of that, and some serum or baby oil. That's what's my "concoction" for combating frizz.

SakuraGirl
May 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
I will be eagerly watching this thread - I suffer from this soooo badly.

The only thing that calms my hair down is having it up in a damp bun til it dries and then letting it down - but the frizz returns eventually SIGH

AdaClare
May 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
My hair gets sort of frizzy too, usually when it's humid and when I use my bbb. It makes my hair fluffy, but it doesn't feel course. Haven't figured waht to do about it either. :\

Goodwyfe
May 22nd, 2012, 01:55 PM
After much trial and error, I discovered that a vinegar rinse made a huge difference! It takes away the bulky, coarse, stiff feeling that accumulates over a couple weeks and instantly gives my hair great slip. I bring a plastic pitcher with about half an inch of ACV in the bottom into the shower. After I condition, I fill the pitcher up with water and poor it slowly over my head. I don't rinse it out--the smell goes away when it dries.

Kittyxx
May 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I get like a halo of my frizzy hair - so annoying
the only thing I've found unfrizzes my hair is to blow dry it with heat - I try to avoid heat as much as possible but if I have a formal event I just can't resist, it looks so much neater -_-

Silverbrumby
May 22nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Frizz here.

Conditioner 30 min. before washing

Sulfate free shampoo

Conditioner after

Leave in conditioner

Tiny amount of silicone on ends

Wet bunning.

jacqueline101
May 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
I use morrocan oil.

terylenerose
May 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
I've always had frizz. I think vinegar rinses help, as does not getting it squeaky clean. My hair doesn't like being really clean - it gets frizzy, floaty, tangly, slippery and dry. No thanks. Once I switch to a WO routine, I think my hair will be a lot less frizzy. Not that it bothers me that much anyway.

Hollyfire3
May 22nd, 2012, 05:10 PM
I've always had frizz. I think vinegar rinses help, as does not getting it squeaky clean. My hair doesn't like being really clean - it gets frizzy, floaty, tangly, slippery and dry. No thanks. Once I switch to a WO routine, I think my hair will be a lot less frizzy. Not that it bothers me that much anyway.

I agree with that last line, some of my friends are like "look you hair is poofy!" when its humid out and basically most of the time, I just look at them and say, your point is? Thick+ wurls+ humid climate= poof attimes!

Faux
May 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
I love frizz serum. Get a good brand from a salon. Apply it mostly to the ends. It works very well.

dwell_in_safety
May 22nd, 2012, 07:30 PM

This is true of my hair as well. I am CO rather than WO, but when I clarify, my hair is nearly unmanageable, it's so frizzy. It turns into a poof ball. One CO wash a week = minimal frizz, though I haven't yet experienced a summer with it, and this summer is supposed to be very dry here in Indiana.

auburntressed
May 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Well... I used to have frizz for most of my life. Henna has completely eliminated it, along with my natural curl pattern. I didn't oil or use any products other than shampoo/conditioner back then, so I don't know what would have helped. But I'm thinking oiling or serums should be at least partially effective if you don't want to go the henna route. Also, I'm wondering if cassia would eliminate frizz just as well without the color deposit. But someone with cassia experience would have to answer that.

Wildcat Diva
May 22nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
My hair has changed alot since going sulfate free, no poo with baking soda/ ACV, then shampoo bars. I now have so much more wave. It is frizzy after I wash. After reading this, I will try to do a mild ACV rinse after my catnip soak. Thanks for posting this thread.

sycamoreboutiqu
May 23rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
This is true of my hair as well. I am CO rather than WO, but when I clarify, my hair is nearly unmanageable, it's so frizzy. It turns into a poof ball.

Have you tried doing a Baking Soda/Conditioner clarifiying treatment ? I only use BS for clarifying but didn't like the harshness when mixed with water or shampoo so I decided to just use it CO style and it works like a charm. I do a regular CO on my roots and some on the length then for the last minute or so I mix 1tsp BS into a handful of condish and apply that to the length and leave on 1 minute. Rinse, rinse rinse and more conditioner afterwards and some for leave-in.

sycamoreboutiqu
May 23rd, 2012, 12:09 AM
Oh - do a search for Kimberlily's AntiFrizz serum. Basically it is Aloe Gel, Oil and water. I like it mixed with Argan or Coconut and it works beautifully. You can put it in a mister to apply to dry hair too.

anime_length
May 23rd, 2012, 02:52 AM
having curly hair, frizz is kind of just something you accept. although, since i started COing, I've noticed a decrease in frizz.

anime_length
May 23rd, 2012, 02:56 AM
& also, keep in mind that most guys interpret curls as frizz anyway. I don't know if he's attracted to how insane it makes me look, but my boyfriend loves my hair all pouffy. Go figure, right?

Raiscake
May 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
For me, oiling and stretching washes reduced my frizz significantly. I try to keep my hair as moisturized as possible, but I still can't find a winning tactic against humidity. :(

Topaz
May 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I gave up and quit arguing with my hair long ago. I just bun it or braid it every single time I go outside, and leave it down and loose only indoors at work or home. No frizz problems at all doing it this way. Yep, my hair won the battle LOL! :)

Suze2012
May 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I've actually had the best result I've ever had today! Whoop! :0)

I'm switching about with what I do after co ing and idn't put any conditioner in as a leave in today, just about 4 drops of grapeseed oil when it was soaking wet..
A couple of drops on the length and then a couple of drops on the ends.

It's very humid here today and breezy too but my hair has behaved itself and isn't over oiled or crunchy, nor frizzy either.

Years ago I tried a normal conditioner as an overnight leave in and it made my hair a total frizz ball the next day..thinking back to that I think I'll now avoid a wash out co as a leave in.

Early days..but I'm quite amazed! :)

SpinDance
May 23rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
Congratz on finding something that is working, Suze2012. I still have some frizz/halo, but much less then used to be the case. Finding a good cleansing routine that works for you, and a leave-in option that does the trick seem to be key. I'm still perfecting my routines, but so far diluting S&C when washing especially the shampoo, and putting on a very small amount of oil on the ends and lengths while it is still wet have really helped.

lilliemer
May 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM
A few things helped me.

1) Acknowledging that my hair was in fact curly and needed to be cared for as such (rather than misbehaving, frizzy, straight hair)
2) Eliminating heat styling
3) Eliminating silicones
4) Length...My curl pattern shows up much more strongly when my hair is short (like pixie short) and once it is past shoulder length. Also I think the length weighs it down a little (although it still has a ways to go) and combats some - not all - of the frizz.
5) Also, now I look at my "halo" and think "Wow, baby hairs = New growth = Thicker length (maybe)! This makes the frizz a bit less frightening, for me at least.

I had a bad frizz day today though (rant to follow). I clarified with BS last night then followed with an ACV rinse and deep conditioner. The rinse did not feel normal (I didn't feel the slipperiness that I have in the past with ACV) and my hair felt kind of crunchy even in the shower after conditioning...Had it up all day today, and when I took it down, it was straight, dull, and frizzy. Not sure what happened. Maybe I clarified but didn't really need to? Any thoughts?

Tabihito
May 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/meisrunner/IMG_05651.jpg

Proof that brushing wavy hair is a recipe for a frizz-fest. 8D The left side of the photo is immediately after being brushed (I was going to put it in a bun and hate taking buns down to find tangles). Though it looks like an explosion, that mess is indeed tangle-free. Just poofy. The right side is, bizarrely enough, after being brushed with a BBB, which I take as proof that my hair is just weird. Isn't it supposed to get worse after doing that, not better?

Anyway, frizz-killing is all but impossible for me. I have short baby hairs that just frizz in the humidity and whaddya know, I live in one of the most humid regions of the country. I can, however, tame them slightly with some diluted aloe vera gel. I mix about half water and half gel and only use a tiny amount, and it seems to work pretty well.

Hollyfire3
May 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
& also, keep in mind that most guys interpret curls as frizz anyway. I don't know if he's attracted to how insane it makes me look, but my boyfriend loves my hair all pouffy. Go figure, right?

Lol! I think alot of people in general thinks all curls are is just frizz! My hair is not poofy and is well defined and bouncy some days, but people STILL think its just poof....

Hollyfire3
May 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
A few things helped me.

1) Acknowledging that my hair was in fact curly and needed to be cared for as such (rather than misbehaving, frizzy, straight hair)
2) Eliminating heat styling
3) Eliminating silicones
4) Length...My curl pattern shows up much more strongly when my hair is short (like pixie short) and once it is past shoulder length. Also I think the length weighs it down a little (although it still has a ways to go) and combats some - not all - of the frizz.
5) Also, now I look at my "halo" and think "Wow, baby hairs = New growth = Thicker length (maybe)! This makes the frizz a bit less frightening, for me at least.

I had a bad frizz day today though (rant to follow). I clarified with BS last night then followed with an ACV rinse and deep conditioner. The rinse did not feel normal (I didn't feel the slipperiness that I have in the past with ACV) and my hair felt kind of crunchy even in the shower after conditioning...Had it up all day today, and when I took it down, it was straight, dull, and frizzy. Not sure what happened. Maybe I clarified but didn't really need to? Any thoughts?

Although clarifying is great when needed (I just clarifyed yesterday, lathered 5 times! I NEEDED it SO bad, nothing was working at all!) it also strips EVERYTHING off of your hair, you need to replace what is washed away. The BS is very drying and ACV is not moisturizing, it simply closes the cuticle. I would have done a DT then the ACV rinse to seal in the moisture, you need something on your hair, remeber, moisture is needed to curl, so its no wonder your hair is straight, do some DT you love, it should bounce back up, maybe leave in some of the conditioner your usually use.

lilliemer
May 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Although clarifying is great when needed (I just clarifyed yesterday, lathered 5 times! I NEEDED it SO bad, nothing was working at all!) it also strips EVERYTHING off of your hair, you need to replace what is washed away. The BS is very drying and ACV is not moisturizing, it simply closes the cuticle. I would have done a DT then the ACV rinse to seal in the moisture, you need something on your hair, remeber, moisture is needed to curl, so its no wonder your hair is straight, do some DT you love, it should bounce back up, maybe leave in some of the conditioner your usually use.

Thank you so much for the advice! This is only the second time I have done the baking soda/ACV process and you are right, I should have conditioned in between the BS and the ACV. (The first time it worked much better, and this is why I need to keep better track of treatment techniques!) After reading your message I rinsed my hair and added conditioner, left it on for 10 minutes or so then rinsed a little bit (still leaving a lot of conditioner in). The frizz is much better, more or less gone actually, and the curl is back.

Do you think I should repeat baking soda and do a DT in the middle before ACV in order to add moisture back in or just leave it alone? I am more or less de-crunchified (for now at least) so I am tempted to quit messing with it for a few days.

DarkAlice
May 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM
most people here say "don't use coney conditioners" with my hair-type if I don't use cones I turn into a frizz ball, and when the wind blows its like tentacles trying to attach itself to anything and break off

jeanniet
May 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/meisrunner/IMG_05651.jpg

Proof that brushing wavy hair is a recipe for a frizz-fest. 8D The left side of the photo is immediately after being brushed (I was going to put it in a bun and hate taking buns down to find tangles). Though it looks like an explosion, that mess is indeed tangle-free. Just poofy. The right side is, bizarrely enough, after being brushed with a BBB, which I take as proof that my hair is just weird. Isn't it supposed to get worse after doing that, not better?

Anyway, frizz-killing is all but impossible for me. I have short baby hairs that just frizz in the humidity and whaddya know, I live in one of the most humid regions of the country. I can, however, tame them slightly with some diluted aloe vera gel. I mix about half water and half gel and only use a tiny amount, and it seems to work pretty well.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't live in a humid area (very dry summers here) and I still have lots of frizz, mostly all the baby hairs around my face. I just live with it. If I'm going somewhere special then I'll paste it all down (lol), but most of the time I figure it's just me.

Mely
May 25th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Does anyone else remember this thread?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003

battle_angel
May 25th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Mely, that thread is great! As a straight-haired girl I had no idea curly hair would do that! OMG!
Although my hair gets static-y and frizzy if I don't follow my brush with the other hand it was never even CLOSE to what a brushed curly hair looks like.
That being said, I love the look of natural curls, in their natural state - always wished I had them myself! :-D

fridgee
May 25th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Leaving my hair alone while it dries really helps rather than brushing or playing with it. Also finding a good leave in that isnt too light so the hairs don't fly away. Once it's dry a tiny bit of coconut oil works wonders. I've got loads of baby hairs coming in (yay!) which stick up all over the place and a teeny bit of gel applied with wet hands to damp canopy does the trick to tame them.

DancingQueen
May 25th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I think I qualify to join this thread - this is my number one problem, especially in the winter. I did fin that oiling helped a lot though - and it made my hair super soft and shiny. If you want to know how, you should probably PM me, as I won't be reading every post in the thread. (Those official threads tend to be rather long...) :D

Ndayeni
May 25th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'll be watching this thread with interest for any suggestions of things to try. I currently have the "halo" thing going from frizzy baby hairs, as well as short hair around my face from where it's been angle cut in the past (as well as breakage I think) that insists on being fluffy and frizzy no matter what I try to do to make it behave. Oiling is helping, but those chunks of hair like to defy even that most of the time.

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Oh, I am hitting my wavy hair with a brush and embracing the frizz! I am not finger combing it. I am not mousing it. I am not using gel. I am not buying every product for curly or wavy hair. I am not doing curly girl. The hell with all that crap, I'll embrace my fuzz. Jerks can go around thinking my hair is fried because they don't have a clue how textured hair looks. I don't care what they think any more. I never look at textured hair and think its in bad condition just because someone hit it with a brush and didn't goop it up. And you know, I see plenty of textured hair when I go out so I'm not alone in going out and about wild and wooly! Be real about how you want you live and how much bother is worth it on the quest for silky hair. Think of how thin and straggly your hair might look if it really ever went flat!

Mely
May 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Oh, I am hitting my wavy hair with a brush and embracing the frizz! I am not finger combing it. I am not mousing it. I am not using gel. I am not buying every product for curly or wavy hair. I am not doing curly girl. The hell with all that crap, I'll embrace my fuzz. Jerks can go around thinking my hair is fried because they don't have a clue how textured hair looks. I don't care what they think any more. I never look at textured hair and think its in bad condition just because someone hit it with a brush and didn't goop it up. And you know, I see plenty of textured hair when I go out so I'm not alone in going out and about wild and wooly! Be real about how you want you live and how much bother is worth it on the quest for silky hair. Think of how thin and straggly your hair might look if it really ever went flat!

Me too. :D Even though my hair poofs up when I brush it, I just can't stop brushing. It would drive me nuts not to brush it.

Edit to add: Maybe we need to start a "frizzy and proud" thread!

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
YES! It needs to be okay for hair to be textured! All hair does not look like something out of the hair commercials. Some people go to salons and trim and trim to try have their ends look perfect or to get a blunt hemline or whatever. My ends are stiff, you can cut of 4 inches and tell me now my ends are wonderful and healthy and next week those fresh ends will be stiff too! I'd go BALD trying to get supple ends. We shouldn't have to tell people our hair is just fine, not fried, not split, not in desperate need of a cut, or curl, or straightening or whatever else they are selling. We need to be fluffy and proud!

Tabihito
May 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM
YES! It needs to be okay for hair to be textured! All hair does not look like something out of the hair commercials. Some people go to salons and trim and trim to try have their ends look perfect or to get a blunt hemline or whatever. My ends are stiff, you can cut of 4 inches and tell me now my ends are wonderful and healthy and next week those fresh ends will be stiff too! I'd go BALD trying to get supple ends. We shouldn't have to tell people our hair is just fine, not fried, not split, not in desperate need of a cut, or curl, or straightening or whatever else they are selling. We need to be fluffy and proud!

I like that sentiment, fluffy and proud. Though I distinguish between fluffy and frizzy. My hair is fluffy no matter what, that's just what it does. It's extremely fine and rather wavy, so if I touch it, it's fluffy. Frizzy, on the other hand, I consider to be small numbers of short hairs sticking out away from other hairs. Fluffy is whole-head.

RitaCeleste
May 25th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Well, for your hair its tricky as hell to oil it without it looking oily because its also fine. I can use something like Aphogee oil sheen spray (yeah, it has cones and sweet almond oil!) and just spray it lightly and wait for 30 or 45 mins until the oil soaks into my hair. I can oil it lightly with EVOO or Meadowfoam seed oil. (EVOO is so much more economical!) My hair is coarse so I love conditioners like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose if you want to avoid cones. Trader Joe's Nourish Spa for co-washing if you want to go all natural. Recently I went to Dollar General tried their coney but a goody DG body Smooth & Silky conditioner for the softest hair I've had in awhile. It makes my hair so soft its slightly fuzzier than with Pantene Relaxed and Natural for women of color Dry to Moisturized. But bang for buck the Dollar General stuff is pretty good. The Pantene Relaxed and Natural coats the hair but doesn't pull out the curl at all, it makes my waves tighter looking and yet more defined even after hitting it with my brush. I swore off gels and curl goop, a nice conditioner and little oil go a long way for me. Finger combing can help but I like my brush. I don't want to scrunch or plop or try to make the most of my waves like in the Curly Girl Method. It can be done, it might even make a difference, its just not something I want to do. I always have a few short kinky Jew hairs that stick up as my hair is always shedding and regrowing. It doesn't always want to be tucked under, smoothed down, or agree to lie down and play dead for me. Its just in its awkward phase perpetually. You can pluck it out, I've tried, it just grows back and brings friends and they are all frizzy together.

Neecola
May 25th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Oh frizz! The one thing I would change about my hair if I could. Love your attitude, RitaCeleste! Unfortunately it isn't other peoples opinions that have me down on my frizzies but my own.

I find it very helpful to rotate my products. And I mean daily. I rotate 3 different conditioners (each containing different emulsifiers) for CO and vary my leave-ins. It definitely seems to help.

Of course, there is my beloved henna which has transformed my hair! I've never played with cassia; wonder if it does the same thing for frizz?

I find the "super soaker" method on naturallycurly.com to be pretty effective as well as using an old t-shirt for plopping. I wait as long as possible before touching my hair as it is drying. I use a citric acid or vinegar rinse twice a week.

Will definitely be following this thread!

Lize
May 26th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I'm a straightie with a frizz problem. It's really annoying because in my opinion it looks more like damage in straight hair than in curly (at least in MY hair). The only thing I have found to help me so far is to put my hair in a damp bun for a while when it's drying. This also gives me some bun waves, which I like. If I want to wear my hair straight I comb it straight while it dries, but I still get lots of frizz. I don't know how to combat that. I will definitely follow this thread.

PolarCathy
May 26th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Yesterday I was particularly frizzy. All those baby hairs, curly, wiry. It was the weather, extremely humid, I was feeling like in Costa Rica just after the afternoon rain, sweating all day long which is funny, given that it was 18C at most and I'm in the North of Sweden. Anyhow I got compliments on my hair. I was told that "it looked so cute" and "finally you look like you". :D :D

Suze2012
May 26th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I got a bit carried away with the oil the other day..just one drop more of grapeseed oil and I was a greasy looking mess! Lol!

I cut it back to /-4 drops yesterday and it was ok again. :)

It did get a bit frizzy but nothing like a day with that much wind would have been when I was using shampoo and coney co's and serums etc..

I wish I could embrace the frizz like some can but it just feels horrible to me..even if it's freshly washed it feels just icky.

I haven't used a brush for years now and with co washing I don't need to comb it anymore either.

I've been writing down how my hair reacts every day (yes..boring and geeky I know) since I started co washing and one thing which does have more of an impact than I thought it would is using only a t-shirt to scrunch the water out of it.

I'm loving that 'brushed' thread! :)

RitaCeleste
May 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I hear so much about hair health. I almost feel personally insulted when people claim to be able to spot the healthy hair. I feel like for the most part it is hair types and textures they prefer and are socially acceptable and are fashionable. This is my hair, this is what I grow. I could wear in a bun 24/7, sleep on silk pillows and detangle it strand by strand and it would look pretty much the same for all my efforts. At this point I know how it looks in its virgin state and coloring it really didn't ruin it appreciably. I've seen at its best and really it doesn't look all that different from at its worst. Its annoying to know that people assume I treat it horribly to make it look like this. Then again, since my hair is so strong not much actually hurts it so I get away with what would massacre most people's hair and my hair will look just the same.

akilina
May 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
My frizz happens underneath my length and it's horrible.
The only thing to keep it tamed is cones. Some kind of coney serum or spray.
I love cones though and my hair does best with cones in it.

RitaCeleste
May 29th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I have cones and EVOO on mine. Its not as bad as in the pic, that was freshly washed and not oiled and cone free. I like these new cones I have. Not so much for the frizz reducing, its the softness. If I can run my fingers threw it and go, OOOH SOFT! that's pretty much it for me.

Silverbrumby
May 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I hear so much about hair health. I almost feel personally insulted when people claim to be able to spot the healthy hair. I feel like for the most part it is hair types and textures they prefer and are socially acceptable and are fashionable. This is my hair, this is what I grow. I could wear in a bun 24/7, sleep on silk pillows and detangle it strand by strand and it would look pretty much the same for all my efforts. At this point I know how it looks in its virgin state and coloring it really didn't ruin it appreciably. I've seen at its best and really it doesn't look all that different from at its worst. Its annoying to know that people assume I treat it horribly to make it look like this. Then again, since my hair is so strong not much actually hurts it so I get away with what would massacre most people's hair and my hair will look just the same.

I hear you. It's like frizz prone hair is sub par and every effort must be made to change it into smooth. That's the message I get sometimes and guess what, I prefer it less frizzy. It's like I'd prefer to be 15 pounds less but I'm learning to love the body I have.

p.s. The signature photo shows my 1/2 way down my hair standard frizz when out.

I don't have an answer to any of this but I do know that wishing for something you don't currently have (a jag would be nice) seems to be part of the human condition. I try as much as possible to not project onto others what is ideal or superior but I sometimes fail.

Random thoughts on a Tuesday.

RitaCeleste
May 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I hear you. It's like frizz prone hair is sub par and every effort must be made to change it into smooth. That's the message I get sometimes and guess what, I prefer it less frizzy. It's like I'd prefer to be 15 pounds less but I'm learning to love the body I have.

Exactly! My head is always gonna look like it has a burned out perm. My hair does not look this way because I stuck it into a blender! What really bums me out are people who assume they are all knowing about hair. I suppose I'm bummed because I tried all the advice, I hacked it off and grew it natural, I finger combed, I scrunched, I used a wide tooth comb, I used leave-in, I babied it, I wore it up, I bought special brushes and on and on. My ends look fried do they? Let me run home and chop off four inches. Doesn't look any better you say??? I spent tons on products, I spent hours and hours on it. This is my head, this my hair, doing A-B-C is not gonna result in anything noticeably different. Sad but true. Now it is my mission to inform these jerks that there is nothing wrong with my hair. I have yellow soles on my feet too, wanna make something of it??? It is what it is.

Silverbrumby
May 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Exactly! My head is always gonna look like it has a burned out perm. My hair does not look this way because I stuck it into a blender! What really bums me out are people who assume they are all knowing about hair. I suppose I'm bummed because I tried all the advice, I hacked it off and grew it natural, I finger combed, I scrunched, I used a wide tooth comb, I used leave-in, I babied it, I wore it up, I bought special brushes and on and on. My ends look fried do they? Let me run home and chop off four inches. Doesn't look any better you say??? I spent tons on products, I spent hours and hours on it. This is my head, this my hair, doing A-B-C is not gonna result in anything noticeably different. Sad but true. Now it is my mission to inform these jerks that there is nothing wrong with my hair. I have yellow soles on my feet too, wanna make something of it??? It is what it is.

Now I'm wishing for your length. No comment on the yellow soles :D

RitaCeleste
May 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
My grandma never commented on my feet but I told her the Indian in her family tree didn't curl our hair. She ran around pouring baking soda in our bathwater and chasing everyone with sunscreen. I have Black Dutch on both sides of my family. The only thing I can honestly say is there really shouldn't be an Asian in the mix. lol

Silverbrumby
May 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
My grandma never commented on my feet but I told her the Indian in her family tree didn't curl our hair. She ran around pouring baking soda in our bathwater and chasing everyone with sunscreen. I have Black Dutch on both sides of my family. The only thing I can honestly say is there really shouldn't be an Asian in the mix. lol

Husbands French, Dutch, Indonesian. Now if we really want to talk about frizz... But seriously, when I met him he have hair 32 inches black ringlets. Just amazing. That was the first and last time I ever saw his hair like that because it took him 5 hours of heavy gel and letting it dry in the sun and a bunch of other stuff he wasn't ever going to do again for me.

lol - I like his short hair now but I do fondly remember the ringlets.

kidari
May 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I get frizz mostly in my top layers. Stretching washes, co washing, religious weekly SMTs, camellia oil or baby oil as a leave in, and leave in conditioners all help. However, the number one thing that helps me is damp bunning. My favorite thing to do is use a mister hat sprays the lightest even mist full of distiller water, or conditioner diluted with distiller water, or rose water (sometimes I dilute this with distiller water) and evenly mist he hair and put it up in pin curls or rag curls or simple buns. When it dries there is no frizz and it looks heat styled. I noticed proteins tend to give me more frizz also.

Copasetic
May 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I normally don't get a lot of frizz, but since it has been humid where I live I have had major frizz! Using silicones has been a big help, but it definitely doesn't work for everyone. If my frizz is really bad, I just put my hair up.

Ndayeni
May 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
In experimenting with things to tame my frizz, I've found that silicones help, oils help, leave in conditioners help...but nothing gets rid of it entirely. Especially not the halo of fuzzy baby hairs. I'm getting to the point that I just do what I can to leash the beast so to speak...to calm down the excessive volume...then twist it up in a bun or peacock or french twist, pin it, and go on. If I'm feeling exceptionally lazy or pressed for time I just do a ponytail that at least keeps it corraled and out of my way.

cremenoir
May 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I used to wonder when (and why!) my hair got so frizzy, because I didn't remember it being that way all my life. It doesn't have *that* much texture, it's just a little wavy. Hmm...

Then a few days ago I found a picture of myself as a little kid with a ponytail and a massive halo of frizz. Guess it's always been this way, after all!

mendy
June 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
Glycerin has certainly been great for me in this current humidity wave (no pun intended). Never used it before...

Suze2012
June 4th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I watched a programme yesterday where someone was cooking with glycerin and I wondered whether it might be any good...

I got some aloe vera gel yesterday so I'm going to give that a try today.

I think one of the most frustrating things about frizz is that even if for a few days the weather is the same and constant (not often in the UK! Lol!) and two days have gone by and something has worked fantastically you do the same thing again on day three and suddenly the frizz breaks out! Lol!

I was in a right old pickle on Friday and went out looking like a haystack that night! Hehe! :)

PolarCathy
June 4th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Dang! Rainy weather! Like in November. Poof!!! Big POOF. :rolling:

ETA: and I have like half a kilo of AVG on me and it's still BIG poooof.

Suze2012
June 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM

I feel your pain!

In the past month we've had torrential rain, hail, wind, a heatwave, freezing temperatures and snow not too far away.

What gets me is on a couple of those torrential days my hair has behaved perfectly..not only that but I always wear it down and I walk everywhere so I'm out in the weather lots too..yet a warmish, sunny no wind day and suddenly it blows up!
My hair has a total mind of it's own! lol!

PolarCathy
June 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
I feel your pain!

In the past month we've had torrential rain, hail, wind, a heatwave, freezing temperatures and snow not too far away.

What gets me is on a couple of those torrential days my hair has behaved perfectly..not only that but I always wear it down and I walk everywhere so I'm out in the weather lots too..yet a warmish, sunny no wind day and suddenly it blows up!
My hair has a total mind of it's own! lol!

It's not so painful, it's just that I look like 15 again. Not an advantage when working at 1 university. LOL

StaryShark
July 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Oh frizz.. how I hate you. I get little baby hairs that frizz out all through the length of my hair. It's even worse when I have it up; I get a haze around everything.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Frizz is my great enemy. ;) Here are a bunch of tips I've gathered from around the web:

oil/serum/pomade/gloss on humid days
leave-in conditioner
no drying alcohol (denatured alcohol, ethanol, isopropyl)
lots of conditioner
use gel, cream, or mousse
use oil/serum/pomade/gloss partway through the day
add products to wet hair
use SPF product on your hair
oil the hair
smooth towel (nothing with a nap like terry or microfiber)
satin pillowcase
comb/detangle when hair is covered in conditioner
don't comb/detangle when hair is wet w/ no product
comb/brush gently
protect form the sun and wind (put up or wear a hat)
wear a swim cap
cut off split ends
air dry, or use a diffuser or hood
don't use a comb or brush with sharp tines
don't fuss a lot with your hair during the day
no chemical treatments (straightening, perm, color)
use heat-free styles
don't pull hair tight when styling
cold water rinse
vinegar rinse
coconut oil deep conditioning
protein treatment (if hair is thin, porous, or weak)
clarifying and conditioning
conditioner only washes
no sulfate shampoos
don't shampoo

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Frizz caused by weather is usually caused by a humectant (like AVG) interacting badly with the humidity (or lack thereof). You could try using an oil, silicone, (oils and silicones are anti-humectants) or a polymer based styler instead.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Well, for your hair its tricky as hell to oil it without it looking oily because its also fine. I can use something like Aphogee oil sheen spray (yeah, it has cones and sweet almond oil!) and just spray it lightly and wait for 30 or 45 mins until the oil soaks into my hair. I can oil it lightly with EVOO or Meadowfoam seed oil. (EVOO is so much more economical!)

Most oils have a similar density (weight per volume) but extra light olive oil (not virgin) and jojoba oil are significantly lighter than most. You might want to give those a try for your fine hair. :D

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I hear so much about hair health. I almost feel personally insulted when people claim to be able to spot the healthy hair. I feel like for the most part it is hair types and textures they prefer and are socially acceptable and are fashionable. This is my hair, this is what I grow.

I agree! I have stubborn frizz and coarse-looking hair (even though it's close to fine) and many days it looks like it needs to be brushed (but I dare not because that would make it worse). My hair is very healthy, the healthiest it's ever been. I haven't seen a split end in years. My hair shines and sparkles in the light. It's never seen a chemical treatment, nor even blowdrying and hairspray since middle school. But if you look at my hair from afar, it doesn't look much healthier than anyone else's.

I have recently learned about torsion twists in hair, and I suspect they're what cause most of my frizz now. I get twists sorta randomly all over, and I think they interfere with my hair's curl pattern. But there's nothing I can do about them, they are just part of my genes.

I'm still looking for a way to tame my frizz without too much work, but if I don't find something soon, I'm going to have to accept my frizz for what it is. :p

In2wishin
July 28th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I am another who makes a distinction between frizz and fluff. To me, frizz is a sign of damage and fluff is a sign of the hair's texture interacting with the weather. I get super fluffy baby hairs all over my head in humidity and the short hairs at the back of the neck will often turn into tight snails when I wear my hair up. I also get little floofy wings at my temples.

My choices are to either use a lot of product to tame them, or just live with them. Since I am the "quicker and easier the better" type of person, I live with them. I once went to a salon to have a fancy updo done and the stylist felt it was necessary to tame the fluff. My hair ended up feeling so stiff and hard.... yuck!

Simone_Fatale
August 7th, 2012, 11:05 PM
CO washing eliminated half of my frizz from the day 1.
Other than that, I used an anti-frizz spray for a while, but all it seemed to do was make my hair grease faster. The unexpected product that made my hair less frizzy is a heat-protect spray.

petali
August 7th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I suffer from frizzy hair at the top of my head. I noticed that a lot of those poofy hairs are coarser than my regular hairs. However, my friziness doesn't change with humidity.

pocketfulla
August 8th, 2012, 04:59 AM
My hair is so frizzy! I have little hairs along my hairline which are just so frizzy and are now dead because I've straightened them so much. My hair never used to be frizzy but decided to go frizzy when I was about 12. I'm 15 now.

This first pic is me when I was probably 7 or 8. My hair was so nice. Mind the sunburned scalp ;)

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/tabithameows/IMG_3304.png

And this photo I just took, it doesn't actually look that frizzy because of the camera quality but do you see what I mean by the little hairs along my hairline? They've been straightened today, but.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g421/tabithameows/IMG_33082.png

Anyway you can tell the difference between the two photos and how my hair has changed. :(

pocketfulla
August 8th, 2012, 05:00 AM
wow sorry about the size :o

irisheyes
August 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I've been fighting frizz since I moved here last August. This is my first summer. I live in a small university town surrounded by farm country. It's nice here, but humid beyond my previous experience, so my hair has been very frizzy ever since, even in winter. I finally figured out that my hair is very porous. If I use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, my hair just soaks up all the water in the air and goes poof. CO washing was a disaster for me. I just don't need any moisturizing products in my hair, especially glycerin. The moisture in the air is enough.

ariesfairies
August 8th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Bluh, frizz! Happens in bad weather and my first day after a wash!

What helps me is a light oiling, smoothing all the parts of my hair together. I've been doing the EVOO in conditioner treatment and that worked wonders at my last wash! Still needed an extra bit of oil after it dried though, I used coconut oil then (because of it's awesome smell lol). I'm not big on commercial hair products to fight frizz, since I don't really see the effects until I put so much on that I have to seriously smell the "floral" smell of the hair product.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I wish my hair was curly with the frizz, but my hair is almost completely straight and then I have all those new little hairs growing in that want to curl out and say hi to everyone. I have to use conditioner/serum/oils if i am going to dry my hair down. Usually to help fight frizz I have to put my hair up while it is still wet. this is good till I let it out, my hair definitely starts to look better on the seconds or third day after washing it. I did a hair typing yesterday. so I used a clarifying shampoo (which I have never clarified my hair and I really don't think I needed to) and no conditioner and let it all dry. My hair was still straight, I just have massive poof and ughness. I quickly applied a leave-in to my hair and some NB panacea and my hair looked 20 xs better. It never looks how I want it to though :(

CurlyCurves
August 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Ha! Frizz loves my hair. Joining :p

floralgem
August 8th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Frizz is my worst enemy, and I've tried a lot of products...But nothing works. What does work though is when I do my CWC. My hair has been a little better since I started that.

spirals
August 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Frizz and fluff is my natural texture. A gel with silicones or oils helps. I have a "wet look" one that has glycerin and castor oil. It's the only thing that gives me shine and virturally no frizz. It also kills a lot of the curl and makes it take forever to dry.