PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Way to Increase Brassy Tones in My Hair

daffodil7
May 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Well, nothing was coloring my grays, so I took the plunge and colored. I used coconut oil, which made a significant difference, and I reconstruct my hair with GVP Sallys imitation of Joico K-pack every time I wash it. The color straightened my hair some, but doing these things made a huge difference in the health of my dyed hair, so definitely do these things if you plan to color. The other thing I do is use garlic shampoo, and use the garlic conditioner as a leave in.

My question is that I had this orange blonde color at my roots that was gorgeous at my skin tone and the ends were darker because of the semi permanent black that was not coming out. So I thought by adding a rinse out glaze to my hair might bring out the yellow tones and brighten. I used glam street glaze in yellow

This did not work at all. In fact it made my hair dark and golden brown all over and completely toned out the gorgeous yellow/orange.

Then I tried washing that out, didn't work, so I tried washing it gently with dish detergent letting it sit on my hair and moisturized extremely heavy. This just toned out the yellow/orange further and gave me dark red brown.

So I lightened briefly again using coconut oil and using the process above, and I'm at a slightly lighter red brown. I do not want to put any more color in because I know now that it would push it too far. There's only so far I'm willing to go with reconstructor, coconut oil and garlic shampoo and conditioner as my only protection.

I have some violet shampoo, but am afraid of what toning it out on purpose will do at this point color wise.

I'm wondering if there is something that is the reverse of a violet toning shampoo, something that will actually bring the yellow/orange tones back out? I am African American, and they actually looked really nice against my skin tone. Though I wanted to brighten the lower hair that was darker, I never wanted to lose that yellow/orange brightness and now it's all toned out. I did not think that Glam Street Glazes was a toner, but if you need to darken bright hair, that is your man. All my beautiful brightness, gone. It was just supposed to bring out yellow, but what it does is tone out and darken any brightness and leave a golden tint behind.

Most people that are going blonde hate the yellow/orange tones, so I have not found any information online on how to actually enhance and create yellow/orange tones out of dyed hair instead of make them go away. Any ideas ?

Also, has anyone tried the Roux Temporary Color Mousses. They are supposed to be just like that spray on color except mousse. I might have to just settle for my blondes and yellows that way.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Manic Panic makes orange.

Miss Catrina
May 22nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure what your stance on shampoo is, but there are various toning shampoos on the market. Since I work for Aveda, naturally Madder Root (red shampoo) and Chamomile (yellow) come to mind. :p

BunnyWabbit
May 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure what your stance on shampoo is, but there are various toning shampoos on the market. Since I work for Aveda, naturally Madder Root (red shampoo) and Chamomile (yellow) come to mind. :p

I know not everyone is a fan of Aveda, but I also love them and the madder root red conditioner. It adds some red back into my coppery highlights very nicely. When they are really washed out like in the summer, they do a nice pinky brassy coppery color with the conditioner that's hard to describe, but I really like it.

somethingducky
May 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Try looking for Sun-in, that "sun activated" spray that everyone used as tweens in the '90's for highlights. Really it's just extra weak hair bleach but I remember it gave my brown hair a brassy cast growing up. Lemon juice sprayed on could work in a pinch too.