PDA

View Full Version : Oils

Sammie_holms
May 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
I have been reading on here for a while and I would like to start using oils in my routine everyday-ish. I am just wondering, what is a lighter type of oil you can use? My hair likes olive oil but it is fairly heavy to me. Also I would like to use it as a leave in conditioner so what kinda of oil does not need to be washed out?

Thanks!

(ps you guys are awesome!!):D

door72067
May 22nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
I'm a recent baby oil convert

I put a few drops in my ends every day (I wash maybe every 3-4 days, give or take)

it really keeps the static/frizzies down

Sammie_holms
May 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'm a recent baby oil convert

I put a few drops in my ends every day (I wash maybe every 3-4 days, give or take)

it really keeps the static/frizzies down

By ends do you mean the last 2" or so? or the whole length?
(sorry for so many questions, I'm a newb)

Billycourty
May 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
I have started putting avocado oil in my hair and it really loves it, my hair is fine but thick and I like the feel of it so much with the avocado oil, I don't think I see myself using EVOO again.

door72067
May 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
by *ends* I'd say 2", give or take

but I do run it through my length and into my scalp before washing

and a few drops through the length after washing, while it is damp

there is a member here (ktani) who has loads of info on her blog

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/04/conditioners-treatments-and-mineral-oil.html

maybe she will happen a long and point out more posts for you to read :)

Zesty
May 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
One tip I have for EVOO is to smooth some over the ends of your hair while it's still quite damp after washing. I don't know why, but when I do this, it makes my ends softer and my hair more manageable without that heavy, oily feeling (it seems to absorb better?). I use it as a leave-in like this and haven't had any problems with the smell or anything. Just a suggestion for tinkering with what you already have so you don't have to immediately go buy a new oil. :)

akilina
May 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I think your hair type plays a role in what feels light or heavy. I think you should just experiment with different oils and find what you like best..that has to be how alot of us find what works best. I find that coconut oil can be light enough for me if i apply very very minuscule amounts. I like sweet almond oil too. for me it is pretty light. I also like avocado oil which for some reason isnt too oily for my medium thin hair. Another good one for me is Moroccan oil. I really think it is all in how much you apply and how you do it.
For a heavy oiling it put it alll over my length and even massage into scalp but just for leave in i spread it in the bottom half/few inches and i like to put it in while my hair is wet still

linnepinne
May 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
If you like olive oil there is a good chance you will like argan oil aswell. My hair prefers olive oil over any other lighter ones (like coconut, almond and so forth), but sometimes it feels too heavy to use as a leave in. Argan oil is perfect for that, it makes my hair behave like when I've used olive oil, but is not nearly as heavy. It gives my hair shine and slip. The only negative is that it is a bit more expensive than olive oil and also I personally do not care for the smell, but if I put in a small enough amount, I cant smell it. I really recommend argan oil!

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Madora has found she likes Ktani's Mineral Oil info. I don't know where that's located, but you could PM her and inquire.

I use Spectrum Naturals Coconut Oil, the Coconut Oil that's shown in BODY CARE Section of their website. Products then go to left sidebar BODY CARE. It's the first picture that shows up. It's specifically unrefined and made for use on skin and hair, the tag/label specifically states that.

I did a youtube video demonstrating how I oil my hair (and BBB, and detangle, and an easy updo that mid-back/tailbone length and beyond can easily do). Here's a link, and it may be of help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I use so very little coconut oil, that it easily washes out with shampoo, and I hardly ever need to actually clarify my hair because of problems with buildup. Note, in the video I show that I apply the oil to my length ONLY, not the scalp associated hair. I let sebum do it's work up top. PLUS, I have a scalp skin problem.

heidi w.

Long_hair_bear
May 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
I also use coconut oil. I use it as a prewash treatment on my end and scalp (I have a dry scalp).

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
I know it's boring that I say this, but be sure to consider allergies or other kinds of reactions to a given oil. Although most of these are carrier oils, once you find your oil, find out as much as you can about it. For example, run a skin test patch sample test to ensure you have no reactions. Don't immediately put it on all your hair in case it doesn't work. Put it on a specific area of hair. Maybe repeat this twice before applying to all the hair.

Usually nothing goes awry, but it can, and I just want to make sure everything is safe.

These precautions especially apply when we use essential oils, because those oils are made from the distillation of the plant itself. Little kids, especially, we need to exercise caution. Skin can absorb the oil. Some essential oils cause increases in blood pressure, heart rate, cause sun sensitivity and you should know all the precautions. Also, buy high quality. Make sure oils are clear, not murky or cloudy. Most essential oils are in Jojoba Oil, but usually one needs more carrier oil than the essential oil comes in. A number of essential oil companies put out a manual regarding their essential oils citing the precautions, including if one is pregnant and shouldn't use it perhaps.....

Stuff to keep in mind as you explore the world of oils.
heidi w.

ChloeDharma
May 22nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
These precautions especially apply when we use essential oils, because those oils are made from the distillation of the plant itself. Little kids, especially, we need to exercise caution. Skin can absorb the oil. Some essential oils cause increases in blood pressure, heart rate, cause sun sensitivity and you should know all the precautions. Also, buy high quality. Make sure oils are clear, not murky or cloudy. Most essential oils are in Jojoba Oil, but usually one needs more carrier oil than the essential oil comes in. A number of essential oil companies put out a manual regarding their essential oils citing the precautions, including if one is pregnant and shouldn't use it perhaps.....

Stuff to keep in mind as you explore the world of oils.
heidi w.

Echoing Heidi's advice about both allergic reactions and checking essential oils for contraindications before using them.

Maybe it's different in America but most essential oils brought here are not diluted. There are often options of buying diluted ones if the oil is particularly expensive, Rose Otto and Jasmine are examples that spring to mind and they tend to come blended to 5% in a carrier oil.

As you asked about carrier/base oils specifically rather than essential oils then my advice would be to start with cheaper ones, sweet almond, jojoba, grapeseed etc first to see if you like them. Also consider what you actually want them to do as this will effect which oils you are best suited to.

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
I also use coconut oil. I use it as a prewash treatment on my end and scalp (I have a dry scalp).

I have used heavy oiling with coconut oil, and then just super light oiling with coconut oil. I have also done mayonnaise hair washes. They both work well on me. I'm just mostly trying to say I've used coconut oil for all my oiling needs: light, heavy, a skin dryness problem.....winter lubrication.....D. All of the Above

heidi w.