PDA

View Full Version : Egg shampooers! How does this fit into your routine?

winship2
May 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
I used Flaxen's egg shampoo recipe yesterday to wash my greasy, 2nd-day hair, and am absolutely thrilled with the results. Shiny, SOFT hair all the way down to the ENDS! Less tangling, lots of body! I'm interested in designing a hair care routine that features egg wash heavily, but am not too savvy about things like protein buildup and would like to know how other egg washers successfully use it. Every time you wash? Multiple times a week? As an occasional variant to regular shampoo? Combined with other unorthodox washing or rinsing methods?

With my oily hair, I think I have to wash every other day at least, for now, and can maybe stretch to that point with pulling the oil down and an astringent scalp rinse or something in the meantime.

BTW, the recipe I used was: dissolve a tsp of honey in 1/4 cup water, thoroughly whisk in one egg plus one egg yolk, with a quarter of a lemon's juice. Apply, massage, leave on for three minutes or so, rinse thoroughly in moderately warm water. Final rinse of half a lemon's juice in tqo quarts of cool water. Learn from my mistake and strain the lemon juice so you don't have to pick pulp from your hair. (I had no problem with cooked egg bits in my hair.)

fayeelizibeth
May 22nd, 2012, 09:31 AM
Egg wash user here!

I also don't know much about protein build up…because I don't seem to get any…I don't know if it's just that my hair likes protein A LOT or what, but I don't have that problem, YMMV.

Also, I only use the egg yolks. I have just found that's what works for me. I found when I used the egg whites my hair got sorta crunchy…but just the yolks don't do that, so I'm sticking with what works.

I wash 2 or three times a week, and my recipe is this (also in my blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=48038)):

2 Egg Yolks (for removing oils; if someone is clearer on the science of why this works please feel free to comment, I understand it has something to do with emulsification? I think of it as the yolk molecules grabbing onto the oil molecules and then I rinse it all away, but I'm not sure how accurate that is...)
3 tbs. Aloe Vera Gel (for moisture)
2 tbs. Lemon Juice (for…something, I don't really know, it works, though)
A sprinkle of Cinnamon (for smell, mostly, It makes my hair smell like french toast :lol: )
Water to 8oz mark on blender

So what I do is put all those things in the blender (I have a small cup-shaped blender designed for making smoothies which works great for things like this) then I add water until the water reaches the '8oz' mark on the blender, or a little above. Then I blend! I pour the finished egg 'shampoo' into an old shampoo bottle and keep it in the fridge till I'm ready to use it.

This makes enough wash for two showers (on my BSL hair, I focus the wash to the scalp and just use a wide-tooth-comb to get some down the length), to be used in one week.

After that I used a double-brewed (or whatever you call two tea bags in ~10oz of water) chamomile tea for rinse. My hair is blonde, so I'm not concerned with lightening, in fact I would welcome a little! But if you are concerned with that, then don't use chamomile, you can use some other tea (there are threads for that) or some other rinse, or no special rinse. But that's what I do.

winship2
May 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for this, fayeelizabeth. This egg wash is the best thing I've ever tried for my hair. This morning I washed with very diluted Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo after a massage and preen, and my hair still feels silky soft. I think I'll start using the egg wash twice a week and experiment with herbal rinses. So happy to have found something so great for my hair!