PDA

View Full Version : One year anniversary on the LHC! (beware long post)

theodora
May 22nd, 2012, 04:53 AM
I am quite excited to be making this post and to share with you some pictures and a few words about what happened in the past 12 months.

I joined the LHC on the 21st of May (if I am not mistaken). My hair was about UBL, more precisely 18.5 inches long. It had seen a lot of bleach and dye, and I had cut it into a lovely shoulder length bob with blunt bangs back in March. I had decided I wanted longer and hopefully healthier hair for my wedding (which is happening on 28 July this summer). Ideally, I was shooting for waist.

Here is my first LHC picture, it wasn't very good as I took it with my webcam and the angle made my hair look longer than it was (waves are my own, not braid waves, they came out thanks to a rainstorm):
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8022&pictureid=107326
Here is my first proper length shot taken shortly after this (and after my first henna gloss):
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8022&pictureid=104735

And here is a length picture I took last night (forgive me the tiger onesie, it was chilly):
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo114/shug2630/LHC/Lengthshot21May2012.jpg

I also did a measuring, and my longest bits are at 27", most of it is 26 3/4.
Considering I did a 3" trim at the beginning of December to get rid of some damage, and I did a couple of micro-trims which I didn't really record, that gives me 8 inches of growth plus about 4 inches trimmed, so a good 12 inches of growth over the year.

I am fairly pleased with this, and I now only have a little over 3 inches to go until I reach waist. I have stopped obsessing over making it in time for my wedding, it's not a race, and over a year I have learnt a lot about hair care and that's what's important.

When I joined I was a chronic hair dying addict who went from blonde to brown to red to blonde etc etc. I didn't know about the existence of Colour B4 so got dye stripped out of my hair aggressively at the salon, and I didn't know about using coconut oil to protect my hair when bleaching or dying.
I was spending a hell of a lot of money on expensive hair products like Moroccanoil and Kerastase, my bathroom was cluttered with all these expensive hair things.

I now try to take a simpler approach, I don't spend a lot on a product unless I think it is really special (like Nightblooming Panacea and Triple Moon Oil). I wash less often, and I try to treat my hair kindly.

I haven't been very good at protecting my hair and wearing it up, I had a good phase where I had a few go-to updos but since I reached BSL I can't seem to make anything work anymore (time to go trolling the forum for updo ideas!).

Overall, it's been a great year thanks to the lovely people on here who have taught me so much. The only minor issue I have had in this year was a considerable loss in thickness due to 2 sheddings. I started shedding because of the stress caused by finishing writing my PhD thesis in the fall (september-october 2011). That shed was pretty bad, I haven't dared measure my thickness but my plaits are now half the size they used to be. I am trying to just ignore it, particularly as I've had another bout of shedding in the past few months due to depression from problems linked to my PhD.

It's not all rainbows and unicorns and fluffy clouds but I am trying to be positive. I had a great time this year also playing with veggie dyes, had some pink, lilac, turquoise, deep red, and the orange fade that followed that red. I might continue playing with veggie dyes until all of my bleached length has grown out and been cut.

pepperminttea
May 22nd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Happy LHCiversary! :) I love your use of veggie dyes, what an awesome way to grow out the bleach and enjoy your hair. :D Congratulations for your wedding in July - I hope the sun comes out for you!

spookyghost
May 22nd, 2012, 05:29 AM
I think thts fantastic hair growth! Maybe your hair is thinner but it doesnt look thin in the pictures. It looks great! Good luck with your PhD and with your wedding:)

Ticky
May 22nd, 2012, 05:34 AM
That's great growth! And congratulations on your wedding :)

Amber_Maiden
May 22nd, 2012, 06:42 AM
Wow! Nice growth!

Falcore
May 22nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Looks really pretty. Congrats on one year!

joflakes
May 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Well done, it looks lovely! =)

Rocket22
May 22nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
OMG 12 inches of growth is amazing!!!! I'm lucky if I get my 1/2" a month. You have made amazing progress... Happy Anniversary

lapushka
May 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Congrats on your anniversary! :)

KarpatiiSiv
May 22nd, 2012, 08:15 AM
Congratulations on your 1st LHC anniversary and your forthcoming wedding. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/congratualtions.gif (http://www.millan.net)

vintage88
May 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
Lovely hair! Congratulations on your anniversary:)

theodora
May 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks a lot guys!
I haven't decided how I'm wearing my hair yet so might be asking for advice when it gets closer to the date!

sun-kissed
May 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Congratulations on your wedding, and your amazing growth! :D

pink.sara
May 22nd, 2012, 12:38 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary!

I've really enjoyed watching your hair progress on the APL-BSL-waist threads (although how FAST your hair grows makes me all green eyed!) It will look gorgeous for your wedding :)

BrightEyes
May 22nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Congrats! Wow, you have had a lot of growth. And your hair is looking lovely. Well done:)

theodora
May 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary!

I've really enjoyed watching your hair progress on the APL-BSL-waist threads (although how FAST your hair grows makes me all green eyed!) It will look gorgeous for your wedding :)
Oh thanks you're way too nice! I'm also lucky to have weird body proportions, I have literally no torso whatsoever!

CastaDiva
May 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Happy anniversary, and congratulations on your progress:) Your hair is really beautiful!

GrowingGlory
May 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Congratulations on your hairniversary and uipcoming wedding!