PDA

View Full Version : Braid waves and dryness?

ladylowtide
May 22nd, 2012, 12:18 AM
It is getting hot now. 103 degrees farenheit where I live, I'm sure this a contributing factor.

I have just started doing braid waves. Leaving damp braids in all night, finger combing them out. I have noticed that my ends are really dry!

How do you combat dryness in your ends after you braid waves?

Do you mist or wet your hair with filtered water as opposed to tap?

Do you oil the ends? If so, with what oil/oils?

Do you but in anything else noteworthy?

How do you secure secure the ends and still keep the ends of your hair happy?

How wet/damp is your hair before you braid?

also,

How many braids, what type?

Are there are certain hair types prone to problems with damp braiding?

Additional info:
I CWC, and wash once a week, I am cone and sulphate free.

MissAlida
May 22nd, 2012, 01:45 AM
I've had the same problem. Now I'm embracing my curls, but when I feel like having wavy hair, I just comb it out wet,let it dry and put it in a single french braid. Even tough I oil it when wet, the ends turn out to be very dry when I take out my braid in the morning. I'm curious if someone knows a way to solve this.:) Also, I tie the end of my braid with a circular strip of pantyhose. It is very gentle to the hair.

Misty'sMess
May 22nd, 2012, 02:31 AM
I totally agree. The ends of my braid is dryer than my length. And if I don't braid my hair they don't dry out so fast. It's really unfortunate because I live in braids. :(

Juanita
May 22nd, 2012, 02:37 AM
I'm a Shea butter fan and put it on my ends heavily if it's feeling dry. Makes my hair soft again

pepperminttea
May 22nd, 2012, 03:14 AM
I just tuck my ends under my hair tie assuming I'm not going to wear the braid out anywhere. When I've braided my hair damp, it stops the ends from drying out, and it gives the ends a wave pattern too so they don't end up straight when the rest of the hair is wavy. :)

PrincessIdril
May 22nd, 2012, 04:26 AM
Sometimes this happens to me too.
What I do is braid my hair, tie it off and then I squirt the tail with some leave in conditioner. (I use Aussie Luscious Long leave in). I find the extra conditoner really helps. I think you could use oil or something too

ladylowtide
May 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful advice guys! I listened and last night I when to bed in damp braids with the ends I added some olive oil. I used the scrunch I secured them with to flip the tassels up and around, one or more scrunch twists. I also used filtered water to wet the ends. I have a hunch that this is the culprit because we don't have the best tap.

Well I finger combed the braids out and the ends do look a bit better. I would say the waves are less frizzy overall. And the scrunch tuck thing actually put some wave in most of my ends!

So thanks again guys. If anyone else has some good ideas. Please post them!

:cheese:

summergreen
May 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
I damp braid too, every night. My ends are really dry - but they're so old and damaged, its impossible to tell whether the braiding makes them any worse! I sometimes put very dilute conditioner on as a leave in when I'm halfway between between washings.

I spritz my hair with tap water in a spray bottle. Oooh, filtered water, that's given me something to think about!

My ends hate oil (but that's probably the damage).

I don't fasten the ends, my fairytails just stay braided, but if I had your lovely thick ends I'd probably try shirring elastic, looped round several times. Ive used it on mini braids before and it doesn't make the ends bend, so I'd think it would work on thicker ones as well.

I get my hair pretty damp, either before or after putting the braids in, after is less damaging but before gives wavier waves! My hair is always dry by the morning, when my daughter does this she says the same she has iii hair.

I do 5 English braids. One small one at the back which pulls a little of the canopy hair over the crown, two slightly larger ones with the side canopy hair and then two large braids with the rest, which I wave the 3 smaller ones into.

Hope that helps and hasn't bored you too much, ha ha :)

afu
May 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
if that happens to me i either rub in a mixture of aloe vera gel and coconut oil (this might not work very well if you're in a really dry area though) or i coconut oil before braiding and then rub in some extra normal conditioner if they are dried out when i wake up

spidermom
May 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Coconut oil to the ends keep them from drying out. I braid all the way down as far as I can, even though lots of hairs are popping out, then secure the ends with those small, soft, fluffy-looking hair ties that they sell for children. The only problem is that sometimes they slip off, but most of the time it's good. I get waves that go all the way through the ends with this method.