PDA

View Full Version : Eureka! mineral oil... Get on the wagon!

kitcatsmeow
May 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM
I know there are some threads on this but I just thought this deserved a little attention. Geez I can't believe how in love with this stuff I am! My hair has never felt better. Usually after about day 3 it's feeling crunchy and tangled and greasy at the roots. But since I started using mineral oil (baby oil) my hair just looks better every day. Shiny and sofy and I can even wear it down a few days after washing. My bun waves just look better and better. Wow I'm SO glad I finally gave this a try. :cheese:

embee
May 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Really? So exactly what are you doing? Using it on the ends? Working it through from the scalp down? Daily? Weekly? How much, etc. :)

Glad it is working for you - any routine that works well is a step forward!

kitcatsmeow
May 21st, 2012, 06:23 PM
I CWC about every 5 days. I use all natural sls free shampoo mixed with a bit of BS. My last Conditioner h I always mix a little honey and avocado oil in and end with a ACV rinse. I've been using Aubrey organics Honeysuckle. Wrap in a towel then I use a little Tate's Miracle conditioner (all natural no cones) and a dab of reg conditioner (I like using my Jason from thin to thick). Then I use the mineral oil (I think it's a generic baby oil 3 ingredients....mineral oil, aloe vera extract and vit e). I use about 4 or 5 drops, much more than any other oil, run between my hands and coat the entire length of my hair. After it air dries a bit I top it with just a very light coat of Argan. Usually just use a drop. It seals everything in well. I'm planning on trying to go without it but everything has been working so perfectly I hate to make any variations.

Personally I let my hair dry to about 90% then wrap to straighten and smooth. It just looks incredible and feels amazing! I usually bun and the waves are just...wow. I'm going to continue the same routine and hopefully my results continue.

GettingThere
May 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
I also am a mineral oil convert. I use straight baby oil most days but some I use my Parachute Jasmine oil that is mineral oil and coconut oil. For some reason straight coconut oil makes my hair feel dry and crunchy but the Parachute with mineral oil makes it feel soft and silky. I wash almost daily with dilute shampoo and condition and ACV rinse. When it is still damp I work in about 5-6 drops throughout the ends and up to my ears. When it dries is is silk and soft without being oily. I even sometimes use it over other leave ins and haven't had any problems. I LOVE mineral oil!

Tawnylioness
May 22nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
mineral oil is great :) i love it after my shower, makes for a nice detangler and keels my hair nicer for longer

long&blonde
May 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Wow , sounds too good to be true! Baby Oil?
I feel Exactly like I did at the drugstore:faithfully listening to LHC members:buying my first spin pins. :)

Dovetail
May 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I had been looking for mineral oil as a carrier, and I had no idea it was baby oil! I'll have to give it a shot on my ends when they start to feel icky again. Do you mix yours with any E.O or does it smell like nothing much?

moxamoll
May 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Check out the articles for ktani's great one on using mineral oil and why it works. You can get pure cosmetic grade mineral oil from the pharmacy section (it's also used for constipation :p) - that way you reduce the chance of build-up from the added ingredients. In my case, it's also unscented, which is necessary!

jacqueline101
May 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
I used mineral oil on the ends of my hair when it was extra dry.

proo
May 22nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
MO is what makes SO work for me.

cremenoir
May 23rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
i love mineral oil! vegetable oils are nice too, but one drop too many on my fine hair and it ended up looking really greasy. baby oil is more forgiving. also, it seems to lock in moisture longer, and i don't need to reapply as often as i did with other kinds of oil. vegetable oils tend to make my hair feel kind of coated and crunchy sometimes, but baby oil always makes it feel really soft.

MonkeyMagic
May 23rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Is mineral oil similar to cones though in the sense that you need shampoo to remove it or does a CO routine work in washing mineral oil out?

kitschy
May 23rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Is mineral oil similar to cones though in the sense that you need shampoo to remove it or does a CO routine work in washing mineral oil out?

I was just going to ask if anyone was having an issue with build-up. I've been using MO for over a month, and I CO wash. I haven't noticed any buildup at all.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has an issue.

Changling
May 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
I started using baby oil at the end of my shower during the fall and winter months for dry skin. Then I started washing my face with olive + castor oil (2:1), and that went really well for me. So I started using baby oil to do a quick face wash, just at the end of the shower, after applying oil to by body, just rinse my face under warm water and rub the oil from my hands all over my face, massaging my chin, nose, and forehead to dissolve natural oils. Then just rinse under cool water and pat dry.

Then I started using it on my ends, too. It works about the same way for me as olive oil does. I don't use any EOs, just plain Johnson&Johnson Baby Oil. I highly recommend it! I have a sort of erratic routine, where I generally CO with Goth Rosary conditioner or diluted Nature's Gate conditioner, then wash once every other week with diluted shampoo (Nature's gate) or baking soda, or an egg. I always oil after my bi-weekly wash, and often after a CO, unless it's getting close to wash day and it doesn't seem to need it.

I saw my sisters recently, and they both dye their hair a lot and use mainstream products and routines. Littlest's hair was lightened a lot and very dry, kinda crunchy and tangly. Littler's hair was in need of a touch-up, and was kind of...unenthusiastic. Like it had been through a lot :( I was happy to use my BBB on them and I oiled the ends a little with baby oil, and they looked so much better. Much softer and less tangly.

Siiri
May 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM

I was just going to ask if anyone was having an issue with build-up. I've been using MO for over a month, and I CO wash. I haven't noticed any buildup at all.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has an issue.

I didn't notice it causing build up when I was CO-washing, it's supposed to wash out with conditioner or sulfate-free shampoo if you don't use a lot of it (I guess it's the same with most oils). I used them together only for a month or two, then switched to oil shampoo + mineral oil leave-in, still no problems with build up.

pepperminttea
May 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I so wished this had worked for me. After reading everyone's successes my hopes were somewhat high, and MO really didn't do a whole lot for my hair. It seemed overly heavy too, even using a single drop. :shrug: I tried it again since, having convinced myself by reading threads like this that I must have done something wrong, and nope, it definitely doesn't work for me.

Just so you know how lucky you converts are. ;)

jel
May 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yeah, didn't work for me either. Makes my length dry and straw-like, however much (or little) I use.

Great that it works for the OP and many others on LHC. Just goes to show, there is no single Holy Grail for everyone!

starlamelissa
May 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yay baby oil! I use it as a hair oil, it detangles and softens my hip length dyed mane, I use a little in the bath water to prevent skin dryness in the winter ( and every bath for my baby, as well as a little rubbed on her scalp to keep the cradle cap away). I use it after shaving, it prevents stingy red bumps... I use it at night to remove mascara and gently moisterize. One of the few things that always works on my sensitive skin.Oh and it makes nails look healthier.

The trick is- drops not squirts ladies!!!

amylou
May 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
I've been thinking about trying it and this thread is encouraging.

jeanniet
May 23rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Didn't work for me, either, and I tried using it several different ways--wet hair, dry hair, a little, a lot, over conditioner, without, etc. It did have good detangling properties, but the feel was just weird. It's great that it works well for so many people, but if it doesn't, you're not the only one!

LadyHazel
May 31st, 2012, 03:15 AM
I love mineral oil with a passion I seriously cannot do without it , really surprised to hear the words 'dry' even come into the same sentence but everyone's different and I'm using mineral oil in hope of retaining as much moisture as possible through the summer months. I would personally never apply this to dry hair, mineral oil saved my hair from protein overload and all sorts I can't praise it enough , on the other hand coconut oil was a disaster for me and gave me the common 'crunchy' ends which I was gutted about until I discovered this.
Brand? Johnsons baby oil
Price? 99p for 100ml (cheap)
Routine? Shampoo, deep treatment, apply mineral oil to the ends and mid-lengths with a light but even coverage and then spray all over with leave-in conditioner x

lunalocks
May 31st, 2012, 07:33 AM
I tried mineral oil a few months ago and it is now part of my daily routine. After washing, when 50% dry, 3 to 4 drops, mostly on the ends and length below the ears, and air dry and finger comb. no tangles and beautiful enhanced waves. every night I oil the ends and a bit up the length with 2 drops and bun with the seashell bun and get fabulous waves in the morning. They stay a while if I finger comb. Once I comb, I have texture like braid waves only better.

I found that pure mineral oil is too heavy. I have been using generic baby oil. The smell is no overwhelming.

I CWC and the conditioner gets it out. No build up here.

Try it.

LadyHazel
May 31st, 2012, 07:55 AM
It's because mineral oil is tabooed a bit I've noticed that people may be hesitant to try it, ktani and me had a very lengthy discussion upon this and even after the mineral oil goddess' recommendation I still didn't try it until ages later because of all of the beauty articles and horror stories I read previously,
I agree- try it!

ravenreed
May 31st, 2012, 08:27 AM
I am another one that mineral oil doesn't work for. I LOVE using it on my skin just as I am about to get out of the shower. It is actually a HG item in my skin care arsenal. However, all it does for my hair is dry it out. I tried it a few times a couple weeks ago and my hair has felt drier than normal ever since. I have even clarified a couple of times and did some deep oil treatments.

Hollyfire3
May 31st, 2012, 08:54 AM
It's because mineral oil is tabooed a bit I've noticed that people may be hesitant to try it, ktani and me had a very lengthy discussion upon this and even after the mineral oil goddess' recommendation I still didn't try it until ages later because of all of the beauty articles and horror stories I read previously,
I agree- try it!

We need ktani back!!!:(:(:( I miss her!

afu
May 31st, 2012, 09:14 AM
mineral/baby oil worked great for detangling my horses manes and tails but for my hair it just doesn't work, makes my hair feel dried out yet greasy at the same time however little I apply. I've started using a mixture of coconut and sweet almond oil and that works much better

PolarCathy
May 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
Before I knew anything about haircare or oils (like ten years ago) I used mineral oil (baby oil) on my hair hoping that it would make it shiny and "not so big". <-- I had very poofy hair back then

I used it on dry hair, damp hair, wet hair, for a few minutes or several hours, washed it out, left it in, whatever. It was an intuitive thing, nobody told me about it, I just "knew" I needed "some oil". I also tried all kinds of body lotions and facial creams I remember (on my ends).

Mineral oil for me did not work. It left my hair limp and awful to the touch.

Maybe I could try it again now that I know how to do a proper oiling. But now that I found oils that I like, there is no reason for me to go back to mineral oil.

jeanniet
May 31st, 2012, 12:05 PM
On here, at least, there are a lot of threads that are pro mineral oil. If anything, the people who are anti MO are in the minority. It's just important for people to understand that something can work for 99&#37; of people, but if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work and that's just how it goes.

curlsgalore
June 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I didn't notice it causing build up when I was CO-washing, it's supposed to wash out with conditioner or sulfate-free shampoo if you don't use a lot of it (I guess it's the same with most oils). I used them together only for a month or two, then switched to oil shampoo + mineral oil leave-in, still no problems with build up.

Are you stil using oil shampoo + mineral oil as a leave in?

curlsgalore
August 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I've been using baby oil on and off lately. I've really been liking it. My hair soaks up oil, so I'm able to use more than the average person. My hair is not porous, just very curly and loves oil :). Yesterday I used 6 drops of MO And about the same amount of coconut oil, mixed together in my hands and applied. Then, I applied my styler (flaxseed gel). My hair turned out great! That was the first time I didn't use a leave in, oil and styler. I just used the oils as a leave in and then my styler. i wanted to see if the MO was enough to detangle my hair...it worked. I'm glad this is working for me!! I'm going o continue using the MO and coconut oil and try MO and EVOO too.
I believe that ktani also says that it's a good thermal protectant...which is nice I you need one. (http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-06-19T13:45:00-04:00&max-results=7)

MrsGuther
August 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Never tried baby oil before.