PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hairs or Frizz?

mendy
May 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have little broken hairs (?) sticking up all over my head, like up and down the hair shaft. Are these broken hairs or what? I feel like no matter what I do, I get them. I have very fine, delicate hair that is quite poufy and wavy in humidity. Is this considered "frizz" or damage or what? At my last haircut, the woman, as she was trying to blow dry them down, asked (in seeming disgust) if I was Jewish. "Half. Why?" I asked. She just muttered: "That explains it.":(

Indigostreams
May 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Well, that hairstylist sounds like a b*#@%! Maybe I'm part Jewish too, because I have the same problem! I'm waiting with you for an answer...:)

Ticky
May 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
If ends of those hairs are tapered, then it is new growth. If there is a split end or any other type of damage, then it is breakage.

Hope that helps :)

ETA: By the way, what a charming woman :rolleyes:

mendy
May 21st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Well, my hair is kind of a fright...It's not your normal-looking frizzies...Like, your hair is gorgeously healthy-looking in your avatar compared to mine and I would kill for it!! But, yah, she was not tactful. I think she was just out of her depth with my weird hair...It's a puzzle. I think maybe it's just very maternal hair that has little hair babies sprouting from it naturally?:)

Ticky
May 21st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Aww maternal hair with hair babies :D I don't really have experience with frizz, hopefully someone wiser will chime in soon.

And thank you :)

mendy
May 21st, 2012, 02:30 PM
Ticky:

It must be damage because they are literally all down my hair, so each strand of hair has like offshoots from the root to the end. I have stopped all heat for the fist time in my life, so we shall see. I do think it looks worse because my hair then frizzes those bits. If I had straight hair, they might lie flatter. Hmm, I think that's what's going on...

mendy
May 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Indigo:

Your hair is like 1000x better and healthier-looking than mine, but I welcome you to the tribe, if you'd like!

afu
May 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Even if you do have damage it's likely that at least some of the shorter hairs are new growth so it's not all despair :) Have you tried aloe vera to smooth them down?

What a stange hairdresser! although i am intruigued as to how its possible to be half or part of a religion

Indigostreams
May 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Indigo:

Your hair is like 1000x better and healthier-looking than mine, but I welcome you to the tribe, if you'd like!
Ha. Thanks. If you saw my hair up close, and on a humid day, you would see all of my crazy "hair babies." Heheheee:p

gracenotes
May 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM
I know *exactly* what you mean. I always have hairs that stick out all along the length of my hair (it's all new growth, not damage, but they *always* seem to be there. It's a bit of a mystery). And they don't just stick out--they're a totally different texture (curly, when the rest of my hair is wavy). I've found that damp bunning/damp braiding REALLY helps to get them to behave (if your hair's not quite long enough for that, then two french braids work just as well).
I would take some time and look at a good number of them--are the ends tapered, or are they blunt/split? If they have little tapered ends, it's just new growth. They are definitely perplexing though!

dulce
May 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM
I have this too,I see you are in the 2's like me,us wavies and curlies have this.Our new hairs which are all over our head, pop up due to their short curl/wave factor.That stylist comment was rude.

dulce
May 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM
My hair is fine,and average thickness but rain and humidity makes it look so big.I use a clear shine serum and rub it over my top hairs to smooth those little guys down.

lapushka
May 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM
That's so rude of that stylist. Classy. :rolleyes:

I think it might be new growth. As a 2, I'm quite familiar with these hairs sticking out all over the place too. I wouldn't worry about it, as annoying as they may be.

SunlightShines
May 21st, 2012, 05:39 PM
That was very rude of your stylist! I have the same thing going on with my hair. I'm not sure what is damaged hair & what is new hair growing back, but some days it's just all out there. I recently tried using chamomile tea with a 1/2 tsp of honey in a water bottle & then after I CWC use it as a rinse and it has helped my hair more than any serum, oil, conditioner or deep conditioner I've tried so far.

Ndayeni
May 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM
I'm glad to see that others have this problem, for it's currently the bane of my hairstyling attempts. So many little short fuzzy hairs that refuse to lay down nice and give my hair it's own visible aura that makes it just look messy and unkempt no matter how neatly I try to comb it back and put it up. I dream of having sleek, smooth hair like so many gals I see, both in pictures here and where I work, etc., but am at my wits end to try to figure out how to achieve it. It seems anything I try by way of moisturizing, deep conditioning, etc. just makes it frizzier. Putting coconut oil on it does seem to help some, but still doesn't tame all the fuzzies, and after awhile my hair starts getting a bit lank from the oiling. I shall be following this and similar threads avidly to try to find a solution.

Kelikea
May 21st, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ticky:

It must be damage because they are literally all down my hair, so each strand of hair has like offshoots from the root to the end. I have stopped all heat for the fist time in my life, so we shall see. I do think it looks worse because my hair then frizzes those bits. If I had straight hair, they might lie flatter. Hmm, I think that's what's going on...

If each individual strand of hair has offshoots, from root to end, then it is damage and can not be repaired.
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/kellum/SplitEndChart.gif
If you hair strands resemble feather or tree, then it is damage. If it is just individual hairs sticking out from the majority of the hair, then it is either frizz or new growth, or both.

Ndayeni
May 21st, 2012, 10:44 PM
Very nice chart there Kelikea. I think I have seen each and every one of them in my hair in the past...lol. Not for a few years now though, as I've been taking better care of it and getting the ends trimmed regularly to keep the damage at bay.

MissTulip
May 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
Very nice chart there Kelikea. I think I have seen each and every one of them in my hair in the past...

Haha...THIS!

ALL of my ends are damaged...I sooo need to cut them :(
I'm just waiting until the end of the year, perhaps longer if it keeps growing well like it has been (it's about a half inch from tailbone)

I have the frizzies too OP...pretty sure mine are new growth though from having my baby last October and the postpartum fallout.

Amber_Maiden
May 22nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
Horrible stylist. ugh.

Could be new growth. Sometimes people mistake shorter hairs for being broken when really all they are is new!

CorinaS
May 22nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
I'm half Jewish and I have the same problem. It's not a coincidence, most of my Israeli colleagues, as well as my father and I, have thicker hair than the rest of the population, so new-hairs stick out more obviously. I have no way of fixing it, but I've learned that if the hair is healthy, it doesn't look that bad anyway. Just make sure it's not breakage (Kelikea's explanation is just PERFECT)

mendy
May 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks, all. I feel better about my situation from reading your answers. I think all of the above is going on.

I saw this mom on the bus today with fine, wavy, frizzed hair with the same exact issues as my mousy brown stuff, but her hair was white blonde. Never really seen anyone so close to mine in texture before. Next to her and on her lap were her two adorable little daughters with her same, exact hair. It was such a cute sight -- and sort of put things in perspective.

HintOfMint
May 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Your stylist sounds like an anti-Semitic bigot. And I do not use such labels lightly.

ETA: good for you Mendy! I'm glad you were able to find some positive perspective.

mendy
May 23rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
HintofMint: Yeah, it was a bit surprising. Of course, I did not respond...

WaterMusic
May 23rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
What a stange hairdresser! although i am intruigued as to how its possible to be half or part of a religion

Judaism isn't a religion in the same way that Christianity is a religion. It is also an ethnic group. You can convert to Judaism, but you can't make yourself part of the ethnic group. And likewise, you can be Jewish without being particularly adherent to the religion.

spidermom
May 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
If you were using heat heavily, you could have broken hairs. Now that you've given it up, you should see a lot of improvement over time.

And of course you likely have lots of sticky-out little baby hairs. I have thousands of them.

DancingQueen
May 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
It could just be because of your hair type (I can see you are a curly girl), and maybe you are more curly than you think. Anyways, some curlies tend to have a little 'halo' around their head, usually new growth, that is not quite heavy enough to lay down. :)

And by the way, if that makes you jewish, I must be the jew. :D

LadyTheta
May 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
If ends of those hairs are tapered, then it is new growth. If there is a split end or any other type of damage, then it is breakage.

Thanks, Ticky, for this! You've answered what I've wondered for years!

RitaCeleste
May 28th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Most of mine is new growth, I don't have many splits. Its everywhere though, all different lengths. I was starting to think I had it layered too much and now its trying to grow that way for me.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Taper ends mean new hairs.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I have these too! I was worried it was breakage, but they have a tapered end..