PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for tooth removal?

woolyleprechaun
May 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hello all! Ive got to have a few teeth out in a couple of days and was wondering how to wear my hair. I know its strange, and I sound like Im missing the point abit :rolleyes: but I need something confortable that doesnt sit on the back of my head and interfere with the headrest thing, but keeps everything safely and securely out of the way....Any ideas? Take my mind off the actual dental work? :o

Sammie_holms
May 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM
Maybe doing a Some up, some down braid. Just take the hair from the crown of your head and face framing layers together. Braid them down the back. That way everything is away from your face but comfy. IMO

Ticky
May 21st, 2012, 07:46 AM
When my sister went to get her tooth removed, she just put it in a braid. I think that should do :) try not to worry about the procedure, just think about how it will be over soon and you will be pain free in no time!

Grillz
May 21st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Something to the side is probably your best option, like a braid, side french braid, 2 french braids, or even just a side ponytail.

ETA: I go to the orthodontist frequently and usually put it in a braid of some kind. I've always found that it works best when it's on one side and not straight down my back.

Shermie Girl
May 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
What they said. A low English braid, a side braid or two braids would probably be the most comfortable during the procedure and it will still look neat and pulled together and you won't have to worry about it for the rest of the day or even until the next day.

I hope that all goes well and you heal fast. :flowers:

PrairieRose
May 21st, 2012, 07:51 AM
I think braiding will work too. I had two teeth removed last year. I the procedure was not bad at all. They lightly put me out. I remember thinking, "well this is not working." And then the doctor said, " You are all finished, it went well" Apparently I had been out! The recovery was not too bad. But let me tell you, I did not realize how much pain I was in from those bad teeth until the pain was gone!
Hope it goes well for you:)

Laur
May 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
Definitely a braid. If you want, when you're done, you can pull it back into a braided bun too, but a braid will stay out of the way pretty easily. I like French braids over side or standard English braids, but that's a personal preference.

GeoJ
May 21st, 2012, 08:07 AM
I prefer Heidi braids covered with a bandanna or buff for the dentist. The braids keep my hair up and off the back of my head, and the covering protects the braids across the top from getting rubbed against the lab coats of the dentist & hygenists.

Amber_Maiden
May 21st, 2012, 08:08 AM
When I went to the dentist a few months ago, I put my hair up in a top knot. Much easier than a bun on the top of your head, and a braid would rub against the chair. Leaving it down could also cause damage- because the dentist won't be watching for your hair!

sazzie88
May 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM
I had my wisdon teeth removed last week and they made me take my hair band out :(

You might want to check this x

sazzie88
May 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM
Edit: i was put asleep when they did this though

auburntressed
May 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM
I suggest double buns above each ear. It will keep your hair off the back of your head, and subconciously send a message that reminds the denist of pigtails - and therefore youth. Which should make him/her be more gentle. :)

woolyleprechaun
May 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Theres so many great ideas here! Thank you all so much! Im having the top two wisdom teeth pulled under local anesthetic (Im not too worried, just trying not to think about it...) as theyve gone bad, due to being partialy erupted for about ten years :(
Do you think the dentist would let me keep a hat or bandana on.....? That would make me a very happy bunny. And as much as I would love to go down that double-bun route, Im abit concerend the resemblance to princess Leia may lead him to operate with a lightsabre ;)

jeanniet
May 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
I just twist my hair up into a loose, flat bun shape and put a Buff over it. That way, it's contained and protected, and any bits that go flying up don't land in it. A braid is a good idea, but I would suggest also covering with a scarf, or even a sleep cap for extra protection.

selenechiba
May 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM
I got one pulled about a month ago under local anesthetic and my hair was fine in a braid. Got to say: I'm envious of you guys that were put under... :/

akilina
May 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
I would do a side braid to keep it out of the way and so it doesn't make a lump on the back of your head just to drive you nuts

jacqueline101
May 21st, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'd say a braid.

fayeelizibeth
May 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ok, I didn't see anyone mention this: a crown braid? It would keep everything out of the way and shouldn't interfere with the headrest...
Something like this (Youtube Video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZB9Ugq5U8U) ?

sazzie88
May 21st, 2012, 01:13 PM
Theres so many great ideas here! Thank you all so much! Im having the top two wisdom teeth pulled under local anesthetic (Im not too worried, just trying not to think about it...) as theyve gone bad, due to being partialy erupted for about ten years :(
Do you think the dentist would let me keep a hat or bandana on.....? That would make me a very happy bunny. And as much as I would love to go down that double-bun route, Im abit concerend the resemblance to princess Leia may lead him to operate with a lightsabre ;)

That's what I had done top wisdom.

I'm sure they wouldn't keep hair tied up. I was in Croydon mayday hospital. I think if yours is in a dentist surgery then the might let you. If it's a hospital they won't let you keep a hat or bandana.

They didn't even let me keep my socks on!

Rosetta
May 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
I got one pulled about a month ago under local anesthetic and my hair was fine in a braid. Got to say: I'm envious of you guys that were put under... :/
You can say that again!! I wish they did it here, but no (for healthy adults), it's local anesthetic only. About two years ago I had a tooth extracted for over an hour, as the dentist lady ran into some problems while doing it... :eek: But I'm sure that won't happen to you, I had two wisdom teeth removed earlier and that was easy play compared to this last one! :)

Anyway, I usually wear my hair down when going to dentist, as I've found that's easiest and simplest; if my hair is tied up somehow, the do will be all messed up by the time I get up from that chair. Wouldn't work for super-long hair though, I know ;)

heidi w.
May 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM
Your hair is shorter than mine, by far, and that has something to do with how one answers this question. At my length now, I can merely wear my hair up in a quick updo, and once in the chair swiftly remove the hairstick and place my hair alongside my body, down the length of the chair (and not falling over the headrest down behind me where the dentist or assistant's chair can roll over my hair...yes, it can happen, compounding the dental pain somewhat). I recently had my tooth pulled, and this is how I wore it.

But at your shorter length, you have a harder time getting hair to stay put. For you, I'd recommend two pigtail braids as this represents that hair is contained and not flowing all over the front of you, nor in the way of the dentist doing their work, or the assistant helping.....you can easily lay them over your shoulder.

One time ever did I have a dental assistant working on my teeth and her work started pulling my hair, as I had placed my hair under the napkin bib they give you. That can happen, hair pulling.....so just plan as best as you can.

Probably by now you're all done with the visit. I may well be too late to play in this sandbox. LOL

heidi w.

cheetahfast
May 21st, 2012, 04:49 PM
Oooh this thread is perfect for me. I have another wisdom tooth erupting, partially.
I already had four removed (or so I was told), they wouldn't let me keep or see them since they were "medical waste"...so perhaps I was lied to ;) haha.

Anyways, I think I remember putting my hair up into a high bun, both times. I hate going under so I was more focused/dreading that. My mother insists it is better, I guess I rather be out then awake :shrug:.

Good luck with your procedure.

truepeacenik
May 21st, 2012, 09:54 PM
I made two side braids(ponytail) that joined in the back, which meant there wasn't a braid under my head against the chair.
This for a hour and a half process pulling an abcessed tooth. Yay nitrous!

drquartz1970
May 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
I would wear the hair in a side ponytail to either your left side or right side which will allow your neck to lie flat on the chair. That is how I wore my hair last month at the dentist.

fayeelizibeth
May 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Oooh this thread is perfect for me. I have another wisdom tooth erupting, partially.
I already had four removed (or so I was told), they wouldn't let me keep or see them since they were "medical waste"...so perhaps I was lied to ;) haha.

Anyways, I think I remember putting my hair up into a high bun, both times. I hate going under so I was more focused/dreading that. My mother insists it is better, I guess I rather be out then awake :shrug:.

Good luck with your procedure.

They wouldn't let you keep them? Weird...

I guess the procedure would be a bit different if you went under, though. I didn't go under to get my wisdom teeth out (all four at once!) and I have mine in a little plastic tooth-shaped container-thing the dentist gave me. Instead of going under I just had the local anesthetic and they gave me (a prescription for) valium for the night before and morning of (I had them out in the morning, like at 9:00 am, that way I had all day to recover) so I wouldn't be nervous. Well, I sure wasn't nervous :p that stuff is intense!

The actual extraction was largely uneventful...I think my hair was shorter at the time and I just didn't even thing about it (although, with the valium, I'm not sure I was thinking about ANYTHING :lol: ).

They did break a tooth while they were taking it out (I guess it was weak? :confused: It didn't have a cavity or anything that I can recall), but even that didn't hurt, it just felt weird...

woolyleprechaun
May 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Tommorrows the big day! *eeeeeep*
I think Im going for a crown braid, purely because I can do it tonight so I dont have to faff in the morning (the appointment is at 9.40am). Plus, its fully contained and not sitting on the back of my head :)
Reading these replies now, I wish I had vallium. Not that the suggestions are stressful, I just think this whole matter would go down a whole lot better with a nice bit of vallium:o

heidi w.
May 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Having a tooth pulled isn't that bad. The worst is the stab of the needle as the local anaesthesia goes in. Just don't move. You'll be fine, and you'll likely get Valium afterwards. I did, and I only needed 2 doses, so now I have spare Valium. I'm not a drug person, so I try very hard to avoid the pain drugs. I could feel the pressure of the pulling process, but that was dulled and not long-lasting at all. The Valium wiped me out. I could barely stand! Much less drive anywhere.

The real worry is if the tooth breaks while extracting. That can pose a bit of a problem. I didn't keep my tooth. Who wants an old tooth? But they did let me look at it. I saw the infection itself, and that's pretty ugly, and the dentist said he could tell the infection was there because of the smell when he removed the tooth. But now, no smell, no infection, no pain. Just a hole in my head. No biggie really. Oh, he did give me antibiotics to take to finish getting rid of the infection. I'm glad I had the tooth removed. What a pain it was to babysit.

heidi w.

Topaz
May 22nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
I just had a cracked molar extracted 2 weeks ago. I wore one English braid started low on the back of my head, draped over my shoulder during the procedure. It worked great.

Eirelin
May 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Ok, I didn't see anyone mention this: a crown braid? It would keep everything out of the way and shouldn't interfere with the headrest...
Something like this (Youtube Video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZB9Ugq5U8U) ?

Tommorrows the big day! *eeeeeep*
I think Im going for a crown braid, purely because I can do it tonight so I dont have to faff in the morning (the appointment is at 9.40am). Plus, its fully contained and not sitting on the back of my head :)
Reading these replies now, I wish I had vallium. Not that the suggestions are stressful, I just think this whole matter would go down a whole lot better with a nice bit of vallium:o

That is what I was going to suggest, a crown braid.

Good luck.

Sweetie
May 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
When I had my dental implantology done, I made 2 english braids. That way very comfortable and "not in the way" - so I did not have to think about my hair, at least....

woolyleprechaun
May 23rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Well, the teeth are out :) and the crown braid was perfect. I love how I can come here and ask for such advice without people thinking me insane ;)

sazzie88
June 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Glad to hear it all went ok!