PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried hair chalking for temporary color?

88Marisa
May 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I wandered across some pictures of hair that had been chalked with color and found this lovely how-to article (http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/01/chalk-it-up/) and it looks pretty fun and dramatic and best of all, it's temporary.

Anyone ever tried this? Pictures? :eyebrows:

Dreamers91
May 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Doesn't seem very healthy for hair, and could be very messy!

Kaelee
May 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I was going to try that but I hear it dries the crap out of your hair, so I didn't.

shutterpillar
May 20th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, I was going to say it seems very drying. I wouldn't try it. :? though it does look neat.

RedBlue
May 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I have tried this. Although I liked the effect of colors, it made my hair tangly! I wanted to have it chalked for church, but I had to wash it out because I can't stand the fact that I couldn't run my fingers all the way through my hair!

dwell_in_safety
May 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I did it to my SO. It was very drying, and on already bleached streaks. She loved the color, but didn't care for it overall after a few hours.

SunlightShines
May 20th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Have you tried using food coloring? I used to put streaks of color in my hair & it didn't change the texture at all. Just be sure to wash it out the same day, so it doesn't stain.

Dovetail
May 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I wonder if you put on some conditioner and let it dry in your hair then chalked? Then when you wash it out, it might not be so dry? I thought it was cute, but I don't have the supplies...

littleflowerr
May 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I've tried it! Like everyone says, its drying and i just didn't like the texture on my hair.

Nedertane
May 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Never tried it, but it is interesting. On a slightly unrelated note, anyone look at the part where s/he said "Always wear a robe or cape," stop, and think, "Yeah, I think I should" ? :D

Neneka
May 21st, 2012, 02:00 AM
I tried it with my pastel chalks almost immediately I heard about this. Those didn't work. (They are too hard) :o I think it would be fun to do for special occasions. I guess it is really drying but it wouldn't be so bad if I did that only once or twice in a year, like I use mousse and hair powder too.

Ticky
May 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
It seems like it wouldn't be the best, as others pointed out :D wouldn't it rub against your clothes and leave chalk dust all over it?

ETA: Oh, it says that it will get on your clothes. Well that ain't very nice.

Celtic Morla
May 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
Chalk is extremely dryign and diffcult to do well if you want to do temp colour I would go with the spray paints! A few epople in creative groomign use chalk but with the advent of blow pens most go to those in preference!

Amber_Maiden
May 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM
I would never do that to my hair. Pastels on my hair?! Agh no. Can't eb good for it, and must take forever to get out!

Johanna
May 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
I read The Beauty Department too, I really like looking at their hair do's but I find a lot of what they do seems very damaging for the hair. I think if you did the chalking and did a good smt or a heavy oiling afterward it should be ok.

BunnyWabbit
May 21st, 2012, 08:05 PM
I just found out about this a week or so ago - I watched a half dozen youtube videos and read a few articles on it. Yes it seems very drying and messy, but there are a few girls who gave tips about minimizing those problems, including (especially for dark hair to help it show up) using a water and condition mix where you do the streaks. I think it looks best on big beachy curls or otherwise curly hair. I have a film screening at the Mann's Chinese Theater next weekend, so I might try it then just for fun. I'll report back if I do it.