PDA

View Full Version : Can tea rinses be used instead of ACV?

SopphireGem
May 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I've been using ACV on my hair after washing it, but my parents always complain about the smell in the bathroom afterwards and my mum keeps telling me not to use it again :( So I was wondering if tea rinses work just as well as ACV, but with a nice smell instead? Are any of these good for the hair: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/iq.asp?xs=50FAC21220C2426E8BE21639ECE51D08&SearchText=herbal+infusions&searchimage.x=6&searchimage.y=11

luxepiggy
May 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I would suggest citric acid rinses instead (^(oo)~)

fridgee
May 20th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Tea is typically acidic so it can serve a similar purpose to ACV but I've always found it too drying. You can try experimenting with different ones to see what works for you as some people have great results with them.

Teas often used are black tea (can help reduce shedding and darken hair), green tea, rooibos tea (possibly increases growth rate) chamomile tea (can add golden tones) and catnip tea (for reducing split ends, can also add yellow tones) :flower:

ratgirldjh
May 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Lime or lemon juice (diluted in water) works great too!

I also found regular tea rinses to be drying to my hair.

ratgirldjh
May 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Sometimes I put a few chai tea bags (or dried herbs - rosemary is great for this!) into my ACV or white vinegar and let it steep. Then use this to make an ACV rinse. This herbal vinegar smells yummy! I've caught my dbf using it on salads! :D

Your could also add some peppermint oil or even vanilla extract to your rinse! Vanilla extract smells great and it doesn't take much to take away the vinegar smell!

Oh and you could always make a nice smelling tea (like chai) and dilute it a bit and add 1 cap of white vinegar or a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. Diluted tea isn't as drying for my hair as full strength but I'm unsure how acidic it is diluted.