PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please

Misty'sMess
May 20th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Recently I have noticed that my hair is miss-behaving more and more.

It's almost hip length hennaed hair, I wash it twice a week with a mild shampoo and thick henna based conditioner. However, during the last few weeks my hair seems to be drying out about a day after my wash and becomes really hard to handle—it tangles as soon as I unbraid it. I've tried coconut oil and deep conditioner but nothing seems to help for more than a day or two. If any one has any advice, that would be wonderful!

pepperminttea
May 20th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Does the conditioner contain protein? If I use too much protein my hair gets dry and tangly, I only use it occasionally and always with a deep moisture treatment directly afterwards. There's a list of common proteins here (http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/120-list-common-proteins-silicones.html), you could check it against your shampoo and conditioner's ingredients lists? :)

Either that, or could it be build-up? Clarifying might help.

Misty'sMess
May 20th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Oh yes, I forgot the mention that I clarify with ACV but it doesn't seem to help.

And I will double check to see if there is protein in my conditioner.

allycat
May 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM
ACV doesn't clarify, and it sounds like build up to me. I'd use a clarifying shampoo for sure, followed by a good moisturizing treatment. Hope that helps!

Peppermint Tea's advice is good too to check your conditioner ingredients for protein.

evieisocoolike
May 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Do you use a leave-in? That would be my first advice. Since you're using a thick condish, just dilute maybe 1/4 to 1/2 part conditioner to 1 part water. Another thing might be protein, as the previous posters said. I would clarify, do a DT, and use a leave-in to combat dryness. I had a friend who had the same problem you have and this fixed it right up. :hmm:

PixxieStix
May 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I've just mixed in some baking soda with my regular gentle shampoo to clarify, worked well, followed by a deep conditioning treatment. Sounds like build up of some kind on your hair that needs to come off. ACV really only fixes the pH level of your hair after washing and helps a little with conditioning/detangling, but it does not clarify. :) Hope that helps!

Amber_Maiden
May 20th, 2012, 09:44 AM
henna can be drying for some people's hair. I'd switch conditioner.

jacqueline101
May 20th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Clarify your hair do a vinegar rinse and air dry. Then use a spray in detangler and wide tooth comb to detangle see if that helps.

Misty'sMess
May 21st, 2012, 03:59 AM
I've bought a new clarifying shampoo and a new conditioner. Thanks for the advice everyone!

allycat
May 21st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Let us know how it goes!

Misty'sMess
May 21st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Last night I washed my hair three times with a clarifying shampoo then conditioned with a chamomile based conditioner and when I woke up this morning my hair was beautifully soft. So soft, it keeps falling out of its bun!

I really appreciate everyone's advice, it worked wonders.

However, I do have another question: how often should I be clarifying. Every wash, or once a month or once every six month?

Thanks again :)

allycat
May 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Great news!

I clarify probably more frequently than others I see here, perhaps every 10 days or 2 weeks (that's like 4 regular washes, then a clarifying wash, for me). But now I can just tell by feel when it needs it. The ends start to feel more dry and tangly.

I think it's because I oil the ends after every wash and oils tend to build up. I think they mostly come off with my non-SLS shampoo, but over time still it builds up a bit.

Anje
May 21st, 2012, 10:08 PM
Clarify as often as your hair needs it. Most people consider it too harsh to do to your hair all the time. Better to keep an eye on your hair and clarify when it seems to say it needs it, rather than on a pre-set schedule. You might find a specific frequency that works best for you, but also be prepared that it may change over time, particularly if you try different products or go to a different town with different water.