PDA

View Full Version : Well....goodbye short hair!

MonaLisa
May 20th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Maybe some of you remember, in past I've had urges to cut, and try my 2nd favorite hairstyle...which was something like..
http://www.hairstyleagain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Natalie-Imbruglias-Bob-Haircut.jpg
Or any little bob like that :)

Well the other day i was at the mall with friend and we decided to buy wigs for fun :)
They weren't expensive! So yeah I chose something like this, to soothe my urge...
And although it's sooo cute, it's just not me... not at all...
I'd be devastated after just 1 day, if I cut..:)
Guess it will have to wait in closet, for some costume party or something :)

So that's an idea, that proved to work...for those with urges to cut short ;)

Suze2012
May 20th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Haha! Good plan!!

I remember when I decided to go for a fringe..I played with my own hair and kinda pinned the front up under a few layers of hair and styled the pinned up bit as if it were a fringe..that was what made me choose to go for it in the end.

I still have it but I remember walking into work the weekend after having it done and I just got comments from so many people, men and women saying 'Wow!!' and telling me how much it suited me..so I think I did the right thing! :0)

Beatnik Guy
May 20th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I think this is a good decision. :D

summergreen
May 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
That's such a good idea! :)

embee
May 20th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Clever idea, that. :)

Question: how does one put up long hair so a wig will even fit over without looking all lumpy and bumpy? The secure bun I make for daily wear is not flat. Same thing with knit winter hats, but then it doesn't matter because it's not pretending to be "my hair". ;)

Iolanthe13
May 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM

Question: how does one put up long hair so a wig will even fit over without looking all lumpy and bumpy? The secure bun I make for daily wear is not flat. Same thing with knit winter hats, but then it doesn't matter because it's not pretending to be "my hair". ;)

Pin curls have worked well for me - also something like a spiral braid could do the trick :)

PrairieRose
May 20th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Very,very smart!

spidermom
May 20th, 2012, 07:52 AM
That sounds like a good compromise; glad you got the wig instead of the cut. They're pretty wonderful as winter hats.

MiamiPineapple
May 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Very smart idea, now you know!

Nedertane
May 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I've thought about doing this myself! Now, if only I could find a somewhere that sells wigs year 'round, not just at Halloween.

evieisocoolike
May 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
@ embee There's a tutorial from our very own torrinpaige on youtube. It's pretty interesting! If I remember correctly she uses pantyhose! :laugh:

Suze2012
May 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM

In the smallest pieces you can and get it as flat as possible to your head.

I wear the odd wig for fancy dress..but I pin it in bits, a bun wouldn't work.

Valfreyja
May 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I used to have loads of wigs... but I had them for the opposite reason!! I'd get fed up with my buzz cut and hide it under shoulder length wigs and feel as though they looked sooo long and romantic. Funny thing is now that my hair has reached that length, they suddenly didn't seem all that long anymore! I might just get a few short ones to play with instead.

Another thing you can do is put you hair into a loose braid, and pin it up tucked under your hair at the nape. Instant fake bob!!

metricfuture
May 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Man, I love wigs! I started wearing them when I would get bored with my dreads (and it sure takes some effort to get a head full of BSL dreadlocks under a short wig), but I still buy them occasionally when I get the itch for short hair. It's a little strange when I meet someone for the first time in a wig and they see my natural hair later. They always assume someone would be wearing a wig that was longer than their own hair, for some reason.

battle_angel
May 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Valfreyja, thanks for the fake bob idea! I am going to try this ASAP, to see how it works -
Sometimes I miss my short bob :P

Valfreyja
May 20th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Valfreyja, thanks for the fake bob idea! I am going to try this ASAP, to see how it works -
Sometimes I miss my short bob :P

Just beware, you might need quite a few bobby pins!

DakarNick
May 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Pics of you in your wig! I mean, if you're not going to cut (I'm glad you're not) then show us what it would look like if you did :)

Micayla47
May 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM
i must remember that the next time i get an overwhelming urge to cut bangs or bleach my hair:)

jacqueline101
May 20th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I like that idea.

Dovetail
May 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm glad you didn't cut your hair, especially if the wig ended up looking not so awesome. I've always wanted to try a wig, but I can't ever decide what kind I want, so I give up lol.

rapunzelna
May 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Such a great idea. I will have to try that.

I have to admit your short hair pic is sooo cute - but then I looked at your profile pics and your long hair is gorgeous. So, a wig is a much better option I think!

MonaLisa
May 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
haha thanks guys! Although it wasn't my idea at all!
I can't remember whose exactly, but some wise fellow LHC member suggested it on one of my old threads when I wished to try this cut somehow :)

And yes, I don't have an answer about...how to put it all under wig without bumps, I do have quite a bump in the back...but it's an inverted bob with lots of volume and stuff, so it doesn't look like a huge mistake :)
Gonna try some of the things suggested here!

And I will definitely post pictures to my blog tonight or tomorrow! :)

MonaLisa
May 20th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Pictures are in my latest blog entry :)

Maelyssa
May 20th, 2012, 08:09 PM
What a smart idea. I recommend everyone wanting a significant change to do the same thing first to help them see if they really like the look they're considering. Thanks for sharing!