PDA

View Full Version : bangs?

amanda_the_tall
May 19th, 2012, 09:04 PM
lately i've been having a really hard time with my old bangs. right now they're almost shoulder length, but extremely dry and tangly. i've been growing them out for about 4 years. here's a picture of the last time i had some (not a fantastic picture)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1048830573459&set=a.1349576371916.2046192.1006533611&type=3&theater

if i cut them again, it'd be long bangs like those, or maybe all the way across like when i was little. i was wondering if
a. that'd be a good idea, i do have a bald spot on the crown of my head, i can't remember if it'd hide it well or not. plus my hair is super fine, i don't know if it'd make it look any better than it is now or not.
b. if it'd be possible to have bangs without layers. the stylist has always put layers in my hair and it makes the bottom really thin. (i already have super thin hair, 1.5" in circumference)
c. if it'd make me look like i have less hair since it won't all be at the same length.

i'm trying to rid myself of the need to chop tons of length.

eta: i'm thinking about something like this, even though she has layers.

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/60/A339EB50D4961C191263F0A6E1D9EA.jpg

GlennaGirl
May 20th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I think a light little fringe like that is a great idea. It adds interest around the face and a touch of sexiness without taking anything substantial from the overall thickness. And these could easily blend back into the rest of your hair on the days you don't want the appearance of bangs. To me, they're the perfect bang situation. :)

MeowScat
May 20th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Hi kitten91!

I've grown out and re-cut my bangs many times over the years. My hair is Fine like yours so I understand your fear of thin-looking length.

Right now my hair is one length with a U-shaped hemline. It took me years to grow out my layers but I decided to keep my bangs this time. The only "problem" is they need to be washed everyday but it takes only about 1 minute so it's not a big deal, just kinda annoying sometimes.

It's really fun to try different styles with them...side swept, parted in the middle or as one solid curled under bang. The side sweeping is cool because depending on how far over to the side you make the part in your bangs can really change your look.

Since I have no layers now, I don't notice losing any volume in the length. It might be worth it for you to try it since they're a lot easier to grow out than a full head of layers. Clips and headbands for a few months make growing them out bearable.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

:)

Bunnysaur
May 20th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I actually just returned from the bathroom where I cut my bangs :p
I just gave myself a bit a face framing fringe, and my hair is still one layer, for the most part. I'm growing out layers from before that have all kind of grown into 1.5 layers.
I'd say go for it. It'll add some visual interest to your face and liven up your hairstyle a little bit.

Suze2012
May 20th, 2012, 02:12 AM
In your facebook photo I think you look gorgeous with your little swept fringe! :)

I got very assertive with my stylist yesterday and told her exactly what I wanted - and she did exactly what I asked for.
There's no reason to have layers in the length if you don't want them.

I actually had some length cut off yesterday for the same reason as you point out that my longest parts were so very thin and it only looked better at the point where the next layer up came in.

I've now had the longest bits chopped back and only have a difference of about an inch between my longest and shortest layers and it looks much better.
I also have a fringe..bit wispy, not as nice as yours was..but then mine is partly to hide frown lines which come and go a lot on me! :)

amanda_the_tall
May 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM
thanks everyone! i'm thinking i'm going to just trim the length, and cut my old bangs a little longer than i want them, just to see how it is, since i can always cut more later. i'll post pictures when i get them!