PDA

View Full Version : Help me with hair type?

Cafe au Lait
May 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Here is my first picture. Clarify, no combing, air dry.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/Pandulce99/Hair/photo-5.jpg

Ugh, sorry, it's blurrier than I thought! Not much, right? However, my hair used to be super curly.. then I started flat ironing daily. I know!! I stopped once I found this forum.

Here is the side shot.. My curl is returning!

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/Pandulce99/Hair/photo-6.jpg

Sigh.. Will my curls ever return?

Anyway.. Thoughts on hair type? I'm thoroughly confused.

Up until a month ago, I was shampooing every day, blow drying every day, and flat ironing every day.

Now I co-wash 5-7 days a week, blow dry on cool 4 days a week, and flat iron 4 days a week on my frizzy ends (weaning myself off :/). I'm heavy oiling with coconut oil 3 times a week, and lightly oiling the ends after every wash.

Any help is appreciated!

Charybdis
May 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I think it's going to be hard to tell until your hair gets longer (because your waves are pretty loose), but I'm guessing you're a 2a. You could conceivably be a 1c, but your waves look awfully well-defined for a 1c, and you say your hair used to be more curly before you started flat-ironing. I wouldn't be surprised if you ultimately turned out to be a 2b when your hair is longer and has had more time to recover from the flat-ironing, but right now I'm not seeing a lot of spiraling or tighter wave patterns. Did you have more spirally curls before you started flat-ironing?

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Anyway.. Thoughts on hair type? I'm thoroughly confused.

From the looks of it, I'd say 1b/1c ish.

Cafe au Lait
May 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I think it's going to be hard to tell until your hair gets longer (because your waves are pretty loose), but I'm guessing you're a 2a. You could conceivably be a 1c, but your waves look awfully well-defined for a 1c, and you say your hair used to be more curly before you started flat-ironing. I wouldn't be surprised if you ultimately turned out to be a 2b when your hair is longer and has had more time to recover from the flat-ironing, but right now I'm not seeing a lot of spiraling or tighter wave patterns. Did you have more spirally curls before you started flat-ironing?

I had loose corkscrew curls prior to flat ironing the life out of my hair - not tight, but definitely not waves. I hope I can get that back someday, or at least a more defined curl in the back to match the sides. :(

Thanks for the thoughts!

terylenerose
May 19th, 2012, 04:30 PM
The back looks like 2a, but the sides look like 2b. Loose spirals are 3a (what I wish I had) so maybe you're a 3a? I can't really tell you what your real hairtype is until you know you have all the curl back you're going to get, though.

terylenerose
May 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
From the looks of it, I'd say 1b/1c ish.
???
That would be straight.

bumblebums
May 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I would guess you're at least a 2c. People with hair in the 1-range usually don't feel the need to iron, and I see a definite spiral on the temple in the second pic.

Give it another six months, and you might have enough virgin length to re-type again.

Cafe au Lait
May 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Sorry about the confounding hair, guys! I wish the back would look like the sides. It looks kinda weird as-is. The hair near my temple is close to what it used to look like - but a bit curlier.

Every reply seems to be a little different, but 2a/b seems to be around the average. I'll agree that I probably need to wait 6 months to get a clearer view of what my true type will be. It's my guess that I may be in the early 3's by then, but who knows!

Thanks for all the help, everyone!