PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair care products

AnAudLife
May 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
As a teen and young adult I had oily hair and scalp, I'd wash my hair at least once, sometimes twice a day because of it and back then it really didn't matter what brand I used, my hair was always healthy.

Now, in my 40's, my hair is dry and my scalp is super dry and itchy. No dandruff yet and hopefully never will, but I'm trying to find the "perfect" product to treat the itchiness and dryness.

I've tried a salon shampoo with tea tree oil in it and it hasn't helped. Now I'd like to try a different product I've read about and/or homemade remedies.

Has anyone tried the "Just Natural" hair care line??? It's quite expensive even though they are truly made with all natural ingredients. I don't want to invest $50+ if I can find some reviews here that tell me don't waste the money. The only reviews I can locate on the internet are the ones on their website which are always positive.

Any help would be appreciated.

The link for the products I'm asking about is http://www.justnaturalskincare.com/hair-scalp/all-products-scalp-itchy-dry.html

Amanah
May 19th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I have not tried that line, I do think that if you massaged your scalp with some jojoba oil, and washed with conditioner only a few times a week, that your scalp would not feel dry anymore.

AnAudLife
May 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I have not tried that line, I do think that if you massaged your scalp with some jojoba oil, and washed with conditioner only a few times a week, that your scalp would not feel dry anymore.

I've tried washing with conditioner only and it just doesn't cleanse my hair, I use gel and hairspray to tame my natural curls and using conditioner only to cleanse leaves me with a mess. :-/

Amanah
May 19th, 2012, 10:37 AM
well, I would still suggest massaging your scalp with oil before you shampoo then.

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Have you heard about the oil shampoo method here on LHC? If not, please look it up, it might help. I can't seem to find the thread.

catamonica
May 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I add two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. It makes the hair softer. Also Aloe Vera gel to my conditioner. One capful. That really makes it baby soft. Try a spray bottle of apple cider vinegar. I read online it helps, if you have an itchy scalp. Also white vinegar might help. I hope this helps your hair.

Madora
May 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM
You might find this article helpful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM

I think that that's what I might have been looking for. Thanks for adding it, Madora!

Suze2012
May 19th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I've tried washing with conditioner only and it just doesn't cleanse my hair, I use gel and hairspray to tame my natural curls and using conditioner only to cleanse leaves me with a mess. :-/

How long did you try co-washing for?

I'm just asking because I'm still in the early stages and some days I am a mess and some days it's better..but the change from shampoo and sulphates is simply stunning on my hair!
I was a 'predictable' ball of 12inch fuzz and straw.

Now..bit like Forrest Gump - I never know what I am gonna get.

But..it's not the dryness I had and it's not the frizz I had all these years.
It's just changing. :)

catamonica
May 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Madora. that is a great article. Maybe coconut oil is the best oil for your hair. But I have used olive oil for a long time. And I tend to like it.

amantha
May 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I love JustNatural's stuff! I have their Dry Hair shampoo and conditioner and leave-in hair lotion....as well as their vinegar nutritive rinse cleanser. It is expensive, so I alternate with some cheaper stuff that I'm trying to use up. If you have a dry scalp or dry hair, I cannot recommend their stuff for dry hair highly enough. One thing about the dry hair shampoo though, the way you use it is a little weird. You have to scrub it into your scalp a bit...but it doesn't suds up very well doing that alone so then you have to put your head under the shower head for like two seconds, scrub again and it suds up much better. Then let it sit on your scalp for a few minutes like the directions suggest. Then rinse. Their conditioner is just okay IMO. Suave works about the same.

I hope that helps!

AnAudLife
May 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks, I will read through it.

How long did you try co-washing for?

I'm just asking because I'm still in the early stages and some days I am a mess and some days it's better..but the change from shampoo and sulphates is simply stunning on my hair!
I was a 'predictable' ball of 12inch fuzz and straw.

Now..bit like Forrest Gump - I never know what I am gonna get.

But..it's not the dryness I had and it's not the frizz I had all these years.
It's just changing. :)

A couple of days. No conditioner will cleanse the gel and hair spray off. I wound up with globs of gunk on my hair, it was n.a.s.t.y and will never try that again.

I love JustNatural's stuff! I have their Dry Hair shampoo and conditioner and leave-in hair lotion....as well as their vinegar nutritive rinse cleanser. It is expensive, so I alternate with some cheaper stuff that I'm trying to use up. If you have a dry scalp or dry hair, I cannot recommend their stuff for dry hair highly enough. One thing about the dry hair shampoo though, the way you use it is a little weird. You have to scrub it into your scalp a bit...but it doesn't suds up very well doing that alone so then you have to put your head under the shower head for like two seconds, scrub again and it suds up much better. Then let it sit on your scalp for a few minutes like the directions suggest. Then rinse. Their conditioner is just okay IMO. Suave works about the same.

I hope that helps!

Thank you! I may give them a try, at least the Vinegar rinse since it smells better than just plain vinegar and water.

jeanniet
May 19th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I highly recommend the Shea Moisture line, available at Target or Walgreens. CO washing hasn't worked successfully for me either--I get good results for a time or two, and then not (probably has to do with my well water). The Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo is fantastic; the only shampoo I've found that cleans, but doesn't dry out my length. I follow it up with the Curl and Style Milk conditioner, and my hair and scalp are so, so happy. They're only $10 a bottle, so might be worth checking out. One warning, though--you're supposed to shake before using to make sure the ingredients are mixed.

AnAudLife
May 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I highly recommend the Shea Moisture line, available at Target or Walgreens. CO washing hasn't worked successfully for me either--I get good results for a time or two, and then not (probably has to do with my well water). The Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo is fantastic; the only shampoo I've found that cleans, but doesn't dry out my length. I follow it up with the Curl and Style Milk conditioner, and my hair and scalp are so, so happy. They're only $10 a bottle, so might be worth checking out. One warning, though--you're supposed to shake before using to make sure the ingredients are mixed.

Thanks Jeanniet, I may give that a whirl before spending $$$ on the other line of products.

akilina
May 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM
My favorite is "Shea Moisture" It is at walgreens in the ethnic hair section. I really love this stuff. It is an all organic product cruelty free and there is not one ingredient in it that I cant pronounce. I think that you would like it :)
Edit: Hey poster above recommended it too!! its amazing.

BlazingHeart
May 19th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have a very sensitive scalp, which translates to frequent itchies. To combat that, when I wash my hair, I finish with a chamomile tea rinse. If I'm super itchy, I leave it in, though that may lighten the hair a little. It doesn't affect mine, but it's a YMMV sort of thing. It should have little or no affect on your color if you rinse it out after 5 minutes, which is plenty to get effective itch relief.

~Blaze