PDA

View Full Version : Newbie heading to the Beauty Supply!

firegypsy
May 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Okay, ya'll. I've been reading for hours and hours and I'm ready to start figuring things out. I brush with a half nylon, half BB brush (Mason Pearson) after finger combing. I do own one wide tooth comb. I wear my hair up every day, no metal (except bobby pins.)

I use no heat at all, and really never have. So there's one thing I did right!

I am thinking about starting a conditioner only regimen, accompanied by oiling. My hair is super fine, fairly thin and slightly dry. I'm hoping to improve the overall condition and encourage growth.

So I'm hitting Sally's today. Is there anything you'd tell this newbie she MUST HAVE?! Something you can't live without?

Oh, I'm approaching APL right now. Thanks for any tips! I'm back to reading all the things now-my brain might explode. But hopefully I can get looking purty before then. :p

Kelikea
May 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Since your hair is very straight, fine, and thin, you probably won't need much oil. Maybe use a light conditioner for CO, but it may not work for your hair type. Oils and conditioners can weigh down your hair. If you do use any oil, make sure you can CO it all out to avoid the greasies. I would just ask someone there for a recommendation, since they can see your hair. I wouldn't buy oil at Sally's anyway. I get mine from Swanson's or Vitacost. I also buy cheap V05 conditioner from the grocery store. The only things I buy from Sally's are the 100% BBB and acrylic hair sticks, and emery boards for my nails:)

Kelikea
May 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Duplicate Post:)

Suze2012
May 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I have seen a few people on here liking some of the products that you can get at Sally but most of all people rave about cheap conditioners for co-washing.

Which country are you in?

Some of the conditioners mentioned on here aren't easy to get in certain countries and some have very different ingredients but go under the same name.
Knowing where you are will help - but I wouldn't go off to Sally just yet. I did that and took £37 worth of products back! Luckily they refunded me!

Boulder dash
May 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM
matrix biolage conditioning balm :)

firegypsy
May 19th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Ah, okay then! I still have to go for a few things, but I won't look to spend too much. I already have a MP brush, but it's the hybrid boar/nylon. I have two (a huge one and a small one for my purse) so I'm considering getting an all BBB one. I LOVE Mason Pearson brushes.

I could use some more hairsticks, mine are very old and I haven't used them in almost a decade. I also need a cap for the shower if I'm doing the conditioner cleanse, yes?

I'm in the US.

I'm thinking of oiling at night and then COing in the morning. I was going to go the condition then shampoo method. I have read a bunch but don't feel that I have an excellent grasp on it so I'll just have to try it.

Yes, my hair is SUPERFINE and I absolutely could NOT oil during the day. I'm planning on using coconut oil because I have a 5 gallon tub. lol.

Okay, cheap conditioner. Check. Thank you all for this help. It's really wonderful to have feedback. I appreciate it more than you know.

Dreamers91
May 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm in the US.

I'm thinking of oiling at night and then COing in the morning. I was going to go the condition then shampoo method. I have read a bunch but don't feel that I have an excellent grasp on it so I'll just have to try it.

Yes, my hair is SUPERFINE and I absolutely could NOT oil during the day. I'm planning on using coconut oil because I have a 5 gallon tub. lol.

Okay, cheap conditioner. Check. Thank you all for this help. It's really wonderful to have feedback. I appreciate it more than you know.
I wouldn't try CO all of a sudden, I would start with a diluted CWC routine.
I have dry hair and have found that a CWC (condition wash condition) works best for me. I use suave naturals shampoo and conditioner (coconut scented :p ) and aussies 3 Minute Miracle.
First I put the sauve conditioner on my length (I'm about BSL) and let it sit for a minute or two. Then I put a tiny amount of the sauce shampoo in my hand, add some water (to dilute), and mix it together. Then I put it on my part and massage it in (I don't shampoo my whole scalp because it makes my hair hard to deal with). I don't let it sit for long, then i flip my length over my shoulder and lean my head back to wash away the shampoo, then when it's almost out i let my length down to wash out the conditioner.
After that I put aussies 3MM on my length (I like to use alot) and tie my hair up so it's out of my way. Then I continue with my usual shower business with my hair soaking in it. At the very end I turn my water to cold and wash it all out.
I let my hair air-dry, then add coconut oil before bed to only my length. When I wake up it's shiny and manageable :-) .
I wash my hair as needed, which is usually every 3 or 4 days.
I clarify my hair about once a month by shampooing all of my length with the suave shampoo, because I do get some build up.