PDA

View Full Version : Curls and haircuts - nervous!!!!

Suze2012
May 19th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I'm so glad to have found this site just a couple of weeks ago.

Also glad for once that I know I'm not the only one who has for years had problems with hairdressers.

Big nerves today as I'm off for a trim but actually want some length off and to do something to make my medium but quite fine hair look less thin and long - hence wanting to get some length off.

The lady who cuts my hair has so far listened..I just hope she does today as I'm going in with a lot to tell her and explain for the first time ever!

Wish me luck!!

tgagurl27
May 19th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Good luck :D Just tell her exactly what you want and indicate (physically) exactly how much you want to be cut off and hopefully they won't cut off anymore than that.

Suze2012
May 19th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks!

That's my plan!

I've been co washing the past couple of weeks too and it's not ready for any kind of shampoo yet so I'm going in with my own conditioner and I'm going to ask that they just wet it and run the co through.

I'm also going to tell them not to rub and rub with the towel - which they always do as the junior does the hair wash and towel dry and then yanks a comb through it!

I'm going to be that 'difficult' customer today I think! lol!

Sammie_holms
May 19th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I am really worried about going to the salon. They never do what I want even when I explain what I want. I think it is the lack of backbone I possess. Any way, I was wondering what everyone does as they grow out hair. Do you grow out your layers and have all one length? Is it harder to trim your own hair with layers?

afu
May 19th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Sammie_Holmes: I think most people with the super long hair try to have it all one length, but there are plenty of people here with layers too.

Good plan with taking your conditioner along :) I'm having my highlights done on wednesday and would love to demand a CO wash, but I think the priority need to be getting the bleach out so im going to brave a shampoo wash and do an SMT when i get home. If you are finding that they pull your hair when combing, i know a lot of people here either take their own comb/tangle teezer along or they say they will detangle it themselves.

Annibelle
May 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Is the hair stylist experienced with working with curly hair? I'm asking because you say your hair gets rubbed with a towel. I've been eyeballing several curly-friendly salons, and they all advertise that they use the CG method and don't even use traditional towels on curly clients. If I were you, I'd be sure to go with a curl expert to make sure your curls look their best! :flower:

UpNorth
May 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Tell them that you will be very disappointed with them if they take more than you want and that they can lose customers because of it:) noone wants bad reviews:)

I did that, I wrote an angry email to many salons BEFORE I went there, explained what I wanted, send them lots of pictures of my hair and what I wanted it to look like and my past experiences and which salon that had destroyed my hair (I needed to dye and bleach away a disaster) I said if they managed to make me happy they would gain at least one regular customer and I would recommend them to all my friends too. If they did NOT manage to make me happier with my hair the opposite would happen. Two hairdressers were brave enough to answer so I went to see one of them in personal (she asked me too) She was very honest and told me she could not do exactly what I wanted as my hair would get very damaged and she didn´t want me to lose my hair and she didn´t want to cut it either. So we compromised, she told me to go home and do some deep shampooing to get rid of all excess dye, then she would try to tone the worst in and dye 15 cm plus my roots to make it look even. She didn´t asked me if she could cut it until 9 months later and then she took half an inch just to make my hemline more even. Do I need to tell you I was happy with my experience?

Suze2012
May 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I have some long layers and even though it's curly and probably wouldn't show too much if I cut it myself I only ever touch the fringe (bangs).

I have no idea if she is good with curly hair to be honest. I never asked her.
I did go in there when I started with her a couple of years ago saying that I wanted someone to listen and listen to what I wanted and not get chatting and over cut - and for the most part she has been good - but in all honesty my lack of a backbone has led to her cutting a little too much on the first two visits to her.

My fault..not hers! :)

Tell them that you will be very disappointed with them if they take more than you want and that they can lose customers because of it:) noone wants bad reviews:)

I did that, I wrote an angry email to many salons BEFORE I went there, explained what I wanted, send them lots of pictures of my hair and what I wanted it to look like and my past experiences and which salon that had destroyed my hair (I needed to dye and bleach away a disaster) I said if they managed to make me happy they would gain at least one regular customer and I would recommend them to all my friends too. If they did NOT manage to make me happier with my hair the opposite would happen. Two hairdressers were brave enough to answer so I went to see one of them in personal (she asked me too) She was very honest and told me she could not do exactly what I wanted as my hair would get very damaged and she didnīt want me to lose my hair and she didnīt want to cut it either. So we compromised, she told me to go home and do some deep shampooing to get rid of all excess dye, then she would try to tone the worst in and dye 15 cm plus my roots to make it look even. She didnīt asked me if she could cut it until 9 months later and then she took half an inch just to make my hemline more even. Do I need to tell you I was happy with my experience?

This is great UpNorth! :)

I can totally see your reasoning behind writing in advance too. Well done! No, I don't need to ask if you are happy...you're a regular customer now I'm sure!

Well, I am done! I am also very happy!
I had a really good chat with Amy who does my cut and she ended up being the one to comb through and towel dry. She squeezed my length once and that was all.

We had a massive talk about where my hair sits and springs back up to and I showed her whereabouts I wanted my length to end up springing back to when dry..

Her jaw did drop when I asked for length to be cut off...hehe! She said it shocked her that I would ever say that!

I've wet it a little and scrunched, it's almost dry and she has the length spot on to where I wanted it to be!
I'll be back to see her again without a doubt.

Happy girl!!! Yay!:)