PDA

View Full Version : Argan oil/alternative instead of coconut oil as a protection when bleaching?

Exodus
May 19th, 2012, 02:21 AM
So I'm thinking about dip-dyeing my ends (maybe, if I can ever make up my mind). I simply want to bleach my ends lighter. My hair can take bleach fairly well (at least it could some years ago...), but if there's something I can do to protect my ends, of course I will do it.

But it has to be something else than coconut oil, my skin is HIGHLY allergic/sensitive to coconut oil.

Some processed coconut products are fine for me to eat, but all kinds and brands of coconut oil makes me break out very bad. Seriously. If I eat anything with coconut oil, my skin will break out bad (face, chest, neck mostly) and it may clear up in 2-3 weeks if I'm lucky.

But externally used, oh no. Last time I used coconut oil on my hair (I was stupid to try one last time) I put a few drops in my hair, just a few, held my hair away from my skin and put it up immediately, and washed my hands for very long. I wore it up all day, but I forgot it when I took it down before going to take a shower. I remembered about a minute later... But it took more than two MONTHS for my skin to clear up again. Even my face broke out and the skin on my back has still not really recovered.

Unfortunately, no, I'm NOT exaggerating, so no coconut oil in my hair ever again, it just not worth the risk of any coconut oil coming in contact with my skin.

But what could I use instead? Argan oil? Conditioner? What is is that coconut oil do that makes it so good? It's ability to penetrate the hair? Any advice would be appreciated.

Katze
May 19th, 2012, 06:20 AM
As a long time bleach head, I feel your pain. I recently tried dip-dyeing without bleach and the results were invisible.

I don't think there is anything that is going to be a magic bullet and protect your hair entirely from bleach. Healther, more moisturized hair will be best able to withstand the chemical assault, of course, but since bleach does actually penetrate the hair shaft and change the structure of your hair, nothing you can put on it will do this.

Personally I plan on getting subtle streaks on Tuesday and will go there with the dirtiest hair possible. :)

You have M texture hair, so you are better off than us fine-haired people when bleaching, perming, or using heat or dye...

afu
May 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM
It is true that coconut oil can eliminate all damage which may be caused otherwise by bleach, this is due to chelation of the free radicals which cause damage. Unfortunatly for you Im not aware of there being any other oils which offer the same protection, the oil needs to be able to penetrate the hair for starters which is quite a rare property. Could you have someone else do it for you so that you don't come into contact with the coconut oil?

MinderMutsig
May 19th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I know babusu oil has a lot of the same properties as coconut oil and it is said to work for people who are allergic to coconut oil. It is also a palm oil though so there are no guarantees. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. I wouldn't know where you could find babusu oil though.