PDA

View Full Version : Do I look better with dark hair? (or just dyed hair in general?) Kinda miss it.

icallitbliss
May 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I'm kinda getting bored with my natural color. It's taken forever for it to grow this much, considering I buzzed my damn head to get it. But a lot of people say I look better and more dramatic with the dark hair. What do you think?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo41.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo40.jpg

Me, today.

And me in 2010:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/meaug2010.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/bW1jMS9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQS9TU1BYMDEzMS5qcGc.jpg

I mean, I'm sure I'd look better now if I found the time to clean up my damn eyebrows and get them threaded. But other than that, I'm just questionable. I love my natural hair texture though, and know that if I dyed again all that texture and hard work would be down the toilet. My natural color is so BLAH though!

Here's one with me with red hair:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/usedtobehott.jpg

And then one with color like mine but with slight blonde highlights. I actually liked this color a lot, too:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/ouch.jpg

Amber_Maiden
May 18th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I like the pics of your hair as is now.

shutterpillar
May 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I like the red the best out of all of them, honestly. That could be because I have a preference for bangs though. ;)
Have you ever considered using Henna?

And if it is between your natural color and the dark color, I like natural best.

beachgirlla
May 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
You look good with both, how dark is your hair, I can see some ashy tone in there, why don't play with henna?, it will give you a hint of color and it will not damage your hair.

longNred
May 18th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Another vote for henna. Do some strand tests and see if you like the result. I think it'd look great on you, making your natural dark hair much richer... With red tones. I do really love the red on you!

julliams
May 18th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I like the last picture the best. It looks the most natural to me and suits the colour of your eyebrows. I'm a strawberry blonde with the same colour eyebrows and I find that if I try to put another colour on my head, my eyebrows are a giveaway. I remember dying my hair this kind of mahogony red colour and I ended up having to buy a brow pencil and colour them every day just to get the matching shade. I'm not convinced that it worked for me.

If however you don't care about not looking natural then it doesn't matter at all and just go with whatever YOU like best.

ravenreed
May 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
If you want to go darker, you could try a demi-permanent. There is no lifting of color so there is little damage, and the color fades so if you change your mind later it will be easier to grow out.

prosperina
May 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I like your natural color and I also like the last pic with the slight blond highlights.

PixxieStix
May 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I like your hair as is now, but if you want a change, as others suggested there is henna for red, hendigo (henna + indigo) for brown to brownish red, or play around with some semi-permanent dyes that wash out so you can get a feel for whether or not that is something you want to commit to.

irisheyes
May 18th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I like your natural color because it's soft looking, but the red is very pretty, too.

Servana
May 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I like the dark colour the best! You should just use a semi-permanent dye (L'oreal has a good one). The colour lasts for around a month.

misspurdy06
May 18th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I like your natural hair it matches your eyes.

I think people like your dyed hair because you styled it more.

McFearless
May 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I like something a bit in between. Dark hair suits you well, and red is very interesting too. You could experiment with a dark red to compromise. How long are you growing by the way?

Five of Five
May 19th, 2012, 03:59 AM
All of those colours look great on you! You're really lucky to be able to pull off a wide range of looks - so I think you should go with whatever look fits your personality the best.

That said, I really like your natural colour. It draws attention to your fair skin and bright eyes and gives you a soft, mysterious look.

Good luck with whatever you decide :).

Suze2012
May 19th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I like your natural hair it matches your eyes.

I think people like your dyed hair because you styled it more.

I noticed this too from your photos.

I love the sweep and softness of your avatar but prefer the darker colour as it really brings out your eyes beautifully! :)

faellen
May 19th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Your natural hair colour is similar to mine (which I'm trying to grow out).
I think I like the darker colours on you :) but I agree with what's been said, it may be because you styled it more in those pics

afu
May 19th, 2012, 06:36 AM
OOh i like the red too, henna?

Bedhead
May 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hair today is the winner for me! :)

Indigostreams
May 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I like your hair in the 2010 pic. Darker, and longer. :)

spidermom
May 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I like all the looks. Since you like to change it up, temporary color would be best, I think. Not henna; it's more permanent than even many red hair lovers want.

Amethyste
May 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM
If you want to play with colors why not try some Manic Panic? THat would be non commital and fun!:)

browneyedsusan
May 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm not much help, because I thinnk you look nice with all of those colors.
As much as I love henna, I'd use some "wash-out in x many shampoos" box color or Manic panic first. (How about a fun dip-dye? You young girls look great with those!) Henna is permanent, and if you get tired of it, you're going to be stuck. I've heard it's almost impossible to get out without destroying your hair.
Good luck and have FUN! It's your hair, enjoy it!

Dovetail
May 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I guess I'm a fence sitter! I like you both ways :3 I totally agree about semi-perm hair dye though, I'm not sure of the implications of it on your hair since I'm still rather new. You could try a sort of gloss or wash with coffee or something to darken it too maybe? Either way I'm sure it'll be lovely.

MissAlida
May 19th, 2012, 09:07 AM
The red looked very nice on you, along with the bangs. You could try henna you know...it doesen't damage, and it would look very good I think.:) Also, I like the natural color better than the dark brown.

MonkeyMagic
May 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
The red looked super pretty on you! But natural is always healthier so I should just go with that.

mzBANGBANG
May 19th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Your haircolor changes your look so much! Personally, I love the red. I think it would look good at any length. But all of these pictures are of you with rather short hair so I suppose it depends on your goal. I think long hair of each of those colors would look beautiful on you, just the matter of having the patience, or going for the dye.

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I love your natural hair color. The darker color, IMO, is too harsh for your features. Your natural color softens the whole look. I also like the last picture! Also, considering you cut it all off for your natural color, I'd not start messing this up now. I'd go with a semi permanent if you really must.

catamonica
May 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I like your hair now. It looks really good. But red looks good on you to.

MintChocChip
May 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I think you look very pretty with the red! But if it's a choice between the dark hair and your colour now, I'd go for your natural colour now, it looks really nice.

terylenerose
May 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Your natural color is not "blah". It looks very nice on you, at least I think so. The dark hair looks good except for the eyebrow thing. The red hair looks good too, but if your eyebrows were visible it might not.
If you want to try henna, then by all means do so. You may know it's very hard to get out, so keep that in mind too. I really can't recommend any chemical dyes to anyone because they can mess up your health.
If any of this has been said already I apologize.

LadyHazel
May 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I would say the red hair is more complementary to your complexion and the style of the bangs and the face framing is SUPER HOT!!
For me, you look the best with red hair but as it is a picture and pictures can be decieving I would suggest using colour cards or trying on wigs before putting all of that hard effort to waste.
Virginal hair is always best in the long run. Healthier if not heat damaged and think about the roots and having to re-do them, its just high maintenance.
But yes, red hair from this selection looks best imo. :)

Tisiloves
May 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Your natural colour's nice, personally I'd say that since your natural colour's light enough to take it, go play with some semiperms :)

xnibn
May 19th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Your natural colour's nice, personally I'd say that since your natural colour's light enough to take it, go play with some semiperms :)

I have to agree, don't use anything with peroxide in it if your really want a change

icallitbliss
May 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone for all your awesome replies!

I'm just so afraid to put anything back on my hair after I've worked so hard for my natural color. Like, if I end up dyeing or bleaching or hennaing, I will probably never see my natural color on my whole head ever again. I don't want to buzz my hair again, either. :/

It's just I've been flat ironing every so often and my ends are getting kinda...dry. Part of me is like "Well, I've already come this far. Maybe I SHOULD just go crazy and get blonde highlights, or dye it black, or use some red henna."

:( My mom says I should just wait until I grow it down to my goal (BSL), so I can see what "long" hair looks like with my natural color before I make any rash decisions. She thinks I might actually really enjoy my hair color once it gets long enough.

Maybe after all the trouble I went through to get here I should just wait. You guys agree?

seven77
May 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I really like it the way it is now.
Though the red really brightened you up and looked great too!

Because your natural hair color is nice, I would let it grow until you hit your goal then experiment if you'd like. I think henna would be awesome!
OR you could dye it now and just touch up your roots as it grows. Up to you :)

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 06:31 PM
:( My mom says I should just wait until I grow it down to my goal (BSL), so I can see what "long" hair looks like with my natural color before I make any rash decisions. She thinks I might actually really enjoy my hair color once it gets long enough.

Maybe after all the trouble I went through to get here I should just wait. You guys agree?

Your mom is very wise. ;)

Micayla47
May 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
i like the dark brown and the red and the bangs!

Lissandria
May 19th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I really like all of the shades on you. You have a lovely complexion :flower: I do think your Mum may be right about liking your colour more when your hair is longer, though.

Your natural colour is exactly the same as mine- an ashy brunette. I dye my hair very dark but I have very dark features, I just wish my head hair grew in that colour! I cannot pull red off and you can pull red off very well. I notice your eyebrows are a lovely strawberry colour. I really think that you look lovely in all the three colours well (you lucky girl :) ) but if you go dark again, perhaps consider tinting your eyebrows?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

akilina
May 19th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I like it with your color you have now!! And gees... i know natural is not fun sometimes but i would LOVE to have my natural color but my hair is jet black.
I think the natural is very flattering with your face too :)

ravenreed
May 19th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I think when it comes to growing longer, sometimes you have to do an either or. You might be able to get away with occasionally heat styling OR dyeing, but not both. That would be too much for the hair to deal with. Plus, you are already experiencing dry ends, so it is probably time to baby it for a while. I am convinced that the only reason I was able to dye for as long as I have is because I didn't also heat style. Even so, I reached a point where I had to switch to a demi-permanent because I was at a stall in terms of growing.

My motto is (when dealing with hair, as well as life in general) when in doubt, do nothing. So I think waiting for a while before you do anything would be wisest. I grew out all my dye at one point, and it took a really long time. I went dye free for a couple of years and realized that I REALLY hated it. However, I gave myself time to decide and it was worth the experience because I hadn't seen my natural hair color in almost 20 years...

Thanks everyone for all your awesome replies!

I'm just so afraid to put anything back on my hair after I've worked so hard for my natural color. Like, if I end up dyeing or bleaching or hennaing, I will probably never see my natural color on my whole head ever again. I don't want to buzz my hair again, either. :/

It's just I've been flat ironing every so often and my ends are getting kinda...dry. Part of me is like "Well, I've already come this far. Maybe I SHOULD just go crazy and get blonde highlights, or dye it black, or use some red henna."

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
I like the red the best.

prettyhairisred
June 3rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
What is getting your eyebrows threaded? I've heard that its a very painful, very effective Indian technique :o

prettyhairisred
June 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
What is getting your eyebrows threaded? I've heard that its a very painful, very effective Indian technique :o
Are you planning on growing your hair long? I think that would look very flattering for you. I did like the dark the best, but your natural color is nice too.