PDA

View Full Version : In search of a Detangler/Leave-In Conditioner! Please Help...

TiffanieJean
May 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I have fine, wavy-ish, almost hip length hair (1c/2a; F; ii). It's pretty healthy, but it tangles horribly. Especially not that it is getting longer than I've had it since being a kid. I would like to find a really good detangler that preferable has some conditioning type effect as well.

I tried Almond Oil this week and it's alright... Better than Jojoba Oil which made my hair stick together with the smallest amount.

I LOVE Giovanni products, but there are mixed reviews for their Direct Leave in. It's between that and the Vitapro Fusion Leave in treatment right now. It seems like the Vitapro is more of a protein treatment that happens to do some detangleing tho... (How do you know if your hair needs protein? :confused:) Not exactly what I want..

I like Giovanni because they are organic and sulfate, silicone, paraben, phthalate, dye and artificial fragrance free. Any product that has most of those checked off it would be closer to the top of the list.

Any suggestions???

ravenreed
May 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Right now, the only thing that I am using as a leave in is a catnip rinse. It helps me with detangling as it makes my hair much more slippery. I haven't tried more conventional products because they usually involve cones, which I am avoiding.

Vampyria
May 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I use coconut oil as a leave-in.

GoldberryHair
May 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I swear by the Dove Nurishing Oil Leave-in Spray and the Garnier Triple Nutrition spray

brave
May 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I tried the giovanni direct-leave in and didn't care for it. Left my hair feeling sticky, and my hair usually loves thick products. Right now I use panacea, although I just bought Shea moisture's hair smoothie and I think I might like it.

EndlessSunshine
May 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I have been using a rosemary/diluted ACV rinse as a leave in. My hair detangles easily and it smells like salad dressing.... But it looks nice!

Amanah
May 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I also do not like the Giovanni Direct leave in, but,
if I over oil my hair, the GDLI seems to help make my hair look less oily . . .
so, it has its uses.

ladyfey
May 18th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I love Kinky Curly's Knot Today

marykatz
May 18th, 2012, 02:54 PM
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy]I LOVE Giovanni products, but there are mixed reviews for their Direct Leave in. It's between that and the Vitapro Fusion Leave in treatment right now. It seems like the Vitapro is more of a protein treatment that happens to do some detangleing tho... [COLOR=blue](How do you know if your hair needs protein? :confused:)

This site is for african american hair but the basics still apply.
How to know if you need protein or moisture:
http://www.sistersofthefaith.com/beauty/the-fine-art-of-protein-and-moisture-balancing-for-black-hair-care-pt-2/

afu
May 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I CO then apply a bit more of my normal conditioner (to which i added aloe vera gel) to damp hair. I then leave to dry in a turban for about 10mins, brush with a tangle teezer then add a little coconut oil and brush again to distrubute. Using this regime my hair rarely re tangles once dry to a state which cant be easily sorted through finger combing

jeanniet
May 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I just wanted to say that my hair also tangles very easily, and only one leave-in (other than light amounts of oil) works for me. Otherwise I always end up with hair that's even more tangly than usual. The one product that does give me good results is Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn spray, but even with that I dilute it 4:1 water/spray. I spray my hair with it lightly at night, put it up in my sleep cap, and it's much easier to manage in the morning.

There are several conditioners that work fine for me as rinse-outs, but not as leave-ins. Giovanni's Smooth As Silk is nice, and I also like Kinky Curly Knot Today. Toadstool Soap's conditioner is also good. The Shea Moisture line is great, and currently my favorite. I also dilute all conditioners with at least a couple ounces of water before applying.

The other thing I would suggest is clarifying if you've been using a lot of products on your hair, and a good S & D session. If you have very many splits, those will contribute greatly to the tangling problem.

GabrielleRose
May 18th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The leave-in I am really liking right now is Acure Organics leave-in spray (argan stem cell leave in conditioner) I find my hair doesn't tangle as badly as it used to.

Here are the ingredients in case you are interested:
Organic Euterpe oleracea (Acai) Berry, Organic Rubus fruticosus (Blackberry), Organic Rosa canina (Rosehips), Organic Punica granatum (Pomegranate), Organic Fair Trade Certified™ Rooibos, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Vera Leaf, vegetable glycerin, 100% natural betaine (from sugar beets), capric/caprylic triglycerides (fractionated cocos nucifera (coconut) oil), hydroxypropyl starch phosphate (from non-gmo corn starch), d-panthenol (provitamin b5), sucrose laurate (from sugar & coconuts), fair-trade certified organic olea europaea (olive) fruit oil (extra virgin), ethyl lauroyl arginate (from natural amino acid), & natural sclerotiom gum (fermented sugar), Ubiquinone (CoQ10), spinosa (Argan) Stem Cell, Organic Argania spinosa (Argan) oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) Stem Cell Culture, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Lavendula Dentata (French Lavender), Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss), & Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oils

lapushka
May 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I have a leave-in, curl cream, made by got2b that I love, but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

You could try leaving some of your regular conditioner in, or simply don't rinse it out as well as you would. How much you need to leave in or how little you need to rinse it out will depend on your hair. It's a bit of trial and error.

Vanilla
May 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I have fine/medium hair and I really love mineral oil as a leave in. It gives the hair slip and helps reduce tangles. You only need a few drops on damp hair.

PixxieStix
May 18th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I do an ACV rinse after every wash, and put coconut oil on the damp ends and rarely have any tangles.

TiffanieJean
May 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM
This site is for african american hair but the basics still apply.
How to know if you need protein or moisture:
http://www.sistersofthefaith.com/beauty/the-fine-art-of-protein-and-moisture-balancing-for-black-hair-care-pt-2/

Thanks for the link!

TiffanieJean
May 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
The leave-in I am really liking right now is Acure Organics leave-in spray (argan stem cell leave in conditioner) I find my hair doesn't tangle as badly as it used to.

Here are the ingredients in case you are interested:
Organic Euterpe oleracea (Acai) Berry, Organic Rubus fruticosus (Blackberry), Organic Rosa canina (Rosehips), Organic Punica granatum (Pomegranate), Organic Fair Trade Certified™ Rooibos, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Vera Leaf, vegetable glycerin, 100% natural betaine (from sugar beets), capric/caprylic triglycerides (fractionated cocos nucifera (coconut) oil), hydroxypropyl starch phosphate (from non-gmo corn starch), d-panthenol (provitamin b5), sucrose laurate (from sugar & coconuts), fair-trade certified organic olea europaea (olive) fruit oil (extra virgin), ethyl lauroyl arginate (from natural amino acid), & natural sclerotiom gum (fermented sugar), Ubiquinone (CoQ10), spinosa (Argan) Stem Cell, Organic Argania spinosa (Argan) oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) Stem Cell Culture, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass), Lavendula Dentata (French Lavender), Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss), & Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oils

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely checking this one out.

julierockhead
May 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Here is a good article about protein and moisture (just scroll down a bit)-

http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.T7kvY66veRm

It is addressed to people with breakage and African-type hair issues but hair is hair, I found it very useful and informative.

Toadstoolsoaps http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps?ref=seller_info on Etsy has a wonderful leave-in conditioner, with very simple and very few ingredients. I've been using it for a couple months and it is becoming a staple of my routine, it doesn't seem to build up and coordinates well with oiling. Her shampoo is damn good too :)

Humbug454
May 20th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I combine Aussie leave-in with coconut oil and my hair seems to like that! :)

CarpeDM
May 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I love Kinky Curly's Knot Today

I second this one, I use it and love it.

Dolly
June 19th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I have fine, wavy-ish, almost hip length hair (1c/2a; F; ii). It's pretty healthy, but it tangles horribly. Especially not that it is getting longer than I've had it since being a kid. I would like to find a really good detangler that preferable has some conditioning type effect as well.

I tried Almond Oil this week and it's alright... Better than Jojoba Oil which made my hair stick together with the smallest amount.

I LOVE Giovanni products, but there are mixed reviews for their Direct Leave in. It's between that and the Vitapro Fusion Leave in treatment right now. It seems like the Vitapro is more of a protein treatment that happens to do some detangleing tho... (How do you know if your hair needs protein? :confused:) Not exactly what I want..

I like Giovanni because they are organic and sulfate, silicone, paraben, phthalate, dye and artificial fragrance free. Any product that has most of those checked off it would be closer to the top of the list.

Any suggestions???

Well, I swear by the Garnier Triple Nutrient Spray, but then my hair LOOOOOOVES cones. This is the first silicone product that I have found that I can spray as much as I want in my very fine hair, and it doesn't look greasy. I can totally saturate my dry hair, and when it dries it does not tangle, and doesn't look greasy either.....

elousays
June 19th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I've been on a quest for a good leave in and here is what I can tell you so far:

Carol's Daughter leave-in - smells amazing, left my hair really greasy if I got spray happy. Also it is pretty $$$

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 80, Glycerin, Panthenol ( Pro-vitamin B5), Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium PCA, Butylene Glycol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower/Leaf Stem, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Caramel, Fragrance (Parfum)

Alba Botanica Leave In: WAY too heavy for my hair, but works well.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Ceteareth-5, Extracts of Camellia Sinensis(green Tea), Moringa Pterygosperma Seed, Agave Americana and Trigonella Foenum Graecum(fenugreek) Seed, Certified Organic Extracts of Althea Offinalis(marshmallow) Leaf/Root, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Lavandula Angustifolia(lavender), Rosa Canina Fruit, Melissa Offinalis, Calendula Offinalis, Chamomilla Recutita(matricaria), Panthenol, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol.

EO Detangler, French Lavender: still left my fine hair greasy - but the best so far

Ingredients: Purified Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein, Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Organic Olive Oil (Olea Europaea), Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil (Persea Americana), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis), Organic Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Organic Shea Butter, Hibiscus Extract (Rosa Sinensis), Gotu Kola (Centella Asiatica), Hair Nourishing Complex (Papaya Fruit Extract), Evening Primrose (Oenothera Biennis) Flower Extract (Oenothera Biennis), Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa) Extract (Medicago Sativa), Pomegranate Extract (Punica Granatum), Organic Mushroom Extract Complex, Organic Lentinula Edodes Extract, Organic Ganoderma Lucidum Extract, Organic Cordyceps Sinensis Extract, Organic Pholiota Nameko Extract, Quilaja Saponaria Bark Extract, EO Essential Oil Blend, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Essential Oil (Lavandula Officinalis), Lavandin Essential Oil (Lavandula Hybrida), Organic Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexl Glycerin

UP Lisa
June 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Your hair is course. The OPs is Fine. Probably can't expect the same reaction.

I tried the giovanni direct-leave in and didn't care for it. Left my hair feeling sticky, and my hair usually loves thick products. Right now I use panacea, although I just bought Shea moisture's hair smoothie and I think I might like it.

cuties
June 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have a suggestion. Whatever leave-in you use, if you put it in a spray bottle and add some water, you can spray it even to dry hair ends. It works better that putting leave-in directly on hair. This tip I got from my stylist on my last salon visit. It works for me.

LadyHazel
June 20th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I use baby oil on the ends ( see k tanis article) and organix coconut oil anti breakage serum for everywhere else and it's excellent its lovely , and the only ever organix product I recommend because I hate the rest with a passion,
Well respected members use baby oil more though as it hasn't any cones and great moisturising properties and can be washed out with a sulphate free shampoo.
Look it up and trust me it's not bad like its made out to be at all!

brave
June 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Your hair is course. The OPs is Fine. Probably can't expect the same reaction.

I would probably expect a worse one, if it was too thick and sticky for my hair.

gonzobird
June 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I swear by bumble and bumble prep. I hate everything else they make.... and use everything super natural... but its the one thing that makes my hair so detangled and soft... and more volume somehow. Washes out super way too. In combination with john masters peppermint and rosemary detangler.my wide tooth comb glides right through my hair. That's the only time I use any comb. Otherwise I finger comb. But those two together ....years worth of trial and error.... its the best.