PDA

View Full Version : Which braided hairstyle produces your favorite braid waves?+question about hair spray

RobieFlakes
May 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Today it was hotter than normal so to keep the hair off my face and neck I did this hair style tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3J9aGjX_tc

(braiding anything behind my head needs instruction) it was so easy and I loved it,taking it out produced volume at the crown and perfect waves.

I had a thought about hair spraying it but unfortunately nothing was around. Last time I used hairspray was in the mid nineties..are there any products recommendations for one without a fumey smell and preferably good for your hair?

lapushka
May 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I had a thought about hair spraying it but unfortunately nothing was around. Last time I used hairspray was in the mid nineties..are there any products recommendations for one without a fumey smell and preferably good for your hair?

L'Oréal Elnett is pretty popular, I think, though the smell isn't all that, IMO. The other L'Oréal ones (studio line) can be pretty heavy and sticky, in my experience. I have New Wave hair spray that's pretty good (very old bottle) and some got2b one.

catamonica
May 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I just wear an old fashioned braided bun. When I wear it down, I have nice braided waves.

Vanilla
May 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I am really loving the crown braid.

afu
May 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
My favourite braid waves are produced by a french rope braid, as they produce waves/spirals closest to my natural curl pattern (profile pic shows result of sleeping on french rope, braided into dry hair).

On the topic of hairspray i don't think any are good for hair, they can cause a lot of damage by glueing hairs together. Quite a few people on here use pure aloe vera gel as a replacement

jacqueline101
May 18th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I do an old fashion braid. I don't hair spray.

BunnyWabbit
May 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
wow that video is awesome! I think my hair is too thin still for it to look good though - and I'm not sure if can actually do that! But I will have to try sometime soon :)

longNred
May 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
... And add some to the meeeedle... Loved the video tutorial! I'll have to give that a try! I've been liking the waves I get from a Dutch braid. I've been using it as my sleep braid for a couple weeks, and love the waves in the morning. I don't use spray though, I find it really dries my hair out.

gracenotes
May 19th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Rope braids and crown braids give me consistently nice waves :) The ones from rope braids are more spiral curl than wave, and that works nicely with my hairtype.

kme81
May 19th, 2012, 01:52 AM
My hair type and braid waves are not friends...but I love wearing braids anyways! ...If I had to choose one for wave, I would go for a single french braid. I have always used Suave hairspray whenever the need arises, I really haven't tried any other brands though, so I am basically no help on that front! :)

Bagginslover
May 19th, 2012, 02:03 AM
It depends on how I intend to wear the resulting waves ;)

If I want a half up, I go for a regular english braid as it give a nice regular pattern, but not to the top of my head where it would make my 'do look too messy.

If I want to wear it all down, I do a french braid (or 2 for tighter waves). This gives me more broken up waves, through more of my length.

If I want a ponytail, then I put my hair in a pony tail and braid it-if I try yo ponytail any other type of waves I end up with a poodle puff!!

Maybe I think about this too much...... :p

PixieKitten
May 19th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I love normal english braid waves, though my hair isn't long enough to get them yet! I also love rope braid curls!
Does anyone else love the waves from fishtail braids? I do them on my old barbie horse( my braiding practice partner in crime!) and I love the waves that come out when I take it out! Granted they only last a few minutes on her but hey! xD

Jessykins
May 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
I do 2 french braids starting at my hair line ( growing out bangs) and it gives slightly spiraled waves on my hair. as for hairspray its stupidly priced and if i do use it i use 33p asda's own brand, but it makes my hair greasy looking. i normally spritz water all over to tame fly aways :)

spidermom
May 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
Rope braids give me the prettiest waves. But I generally go with a couple of dutch braids; they're easier for me.

heidi w.
May 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
A crown braid is a feat of creating. However, for so many, I think they need to watch placement and tilt as it often is not an attractive look when in profile. I have noticed this when I do crown braids on myself or anything mimicing a crown braid, such as wrapping a braid about the head in imitation of a crown braid. Just something I notice. Probably most people don't care about this aspect of the look, but I do, and thought I'd bring it up to see if anyone else felt as I did.

heidi w.

JesusFreak88
May 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I sleep in a crown braid and that is my favorite way to get braid waves. I don't wear my out in a crown braid though. I don't necessarily like the look of them, mostly because I have enough hair to wrap around again and at least the last half of that is really skinny. I wear faux crown braids all the time. Rope braids don't give me any wave or anything. Even if I liked the waves of a fishtail (they don't give me any sort of wave either) it takes way too much time to do.