PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a change of color?

TeaGarden
May 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM
My natural hair color is an ashy dishwater blonde. (You know, that color that can either be brown or blonde?) And I've been dying it since I was in 6th grade. I'm not a huge fan of my natural color.
My hair has been every color except true black, but mostly it's been blonde. I love light blonde hair and I'm nervous to part with it. It might sound silly, but it's almost like my "signature" and I know I like it, but I've been thinking about a change for a few months now.
I've always wanted red hair like my mom, but it has never really stuck in my hair before. I feel if I dye my hair brown for a few months and then switch to henna, I'll be able to finally get the red hair I always wanted.
However, if I make the decision to go back to blonde it will be a really long and painful process to bleach it back. I'd probably end up chopping off a good few inches from the bleach damaging my ends. So do I really want to risk it and dye it a darker color, or should I just stick to what I have and keep bleaching my roots?

I am aware that the bleach is far more damaging and that henna or even a darker dye without bleach would be better on my hair. That is definitely part of why I'm considering this.

Here is the most recent picture of my hair color in daylight. It's been through a color and a much needed cut since then:
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/weezelbob/Snapshot_20120222_2.jpg

And this is the shade of red I'd be working towards.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/weezelbob/red1.jpg http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/weezelbob/red2.jpg

Alternatively:
http://img.allvoices.com/thumbs/event/609/480/91201267-scarlett-johansson.jpg

meishkamooshka
May 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I think that shade of red would be especially lovely with your skin tone (from what I can see in the picture). If you really want it in your heart of hearts, I think you should go for it. As you said yourself, the bleaching is really damaging. So ultimately, I think the decision lies within yourself. Personally, I think it's a lovely color and you would probably pull it off very well!

Macaroni
May 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I can sympathize with your desire for red hair.

I'd suggest that you wait until you have new growth that can be used for a strand test. Since henna is such a total commitment, why not consider a semi-permanent or demi-permanent hair color on your natural hair?

If you absolutely must have henna, do a strand test with it for color.

browneyedsusan
May 18th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I think you'd make a stunning redhead, and I've had similiar frustrations with keeping my color looking nice.

I'm not a fan of my natural color either, and have colored my hair for years. Red is my favorite, but it's usually faded away after a week. :(

I tried henna because I wanted to be a readhead and if I hated it, I could grow it out quick because I wore my hair super-short. I didn't hate it, I loved it. It made my graying ashy-brown hair soft and strong and blazing red in the sunshine.

If I had your head of hair, I would run a lot of tests before I did my whole head. You can order a sample from Mehandi.com for cheap and test it on a hairball from your brush. Wait a week for it to oxidize to its final color before you do your whole head, because even if it's bright orange the day you do it, it will brown down after a few days. (You could also put a streak in behind your ear, if you're adventurous. Wrap it in saran wrap to keep it out of your other hair and off your clothes.)

Have fun! It's your hair, do what makes you happiest! :D

OilPaint
May 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I love the shade of red that you're looking at, and with fair skin it should look stunning on you. I've never personally done anything with my own natural color, but I've always toyed with the idea of going to a strawberry blonde or a red close to what you've chosen.

As for whether or not you should try it; it's your hair and if you think it would be better red, I say go for it. :thumbsup:

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
If I were you I'd grow out my natural color first. Henna will be much more flattering on that tone than on your bleached blonde color as there's very much a risk of orange hair.

Amber_Maiden
May 19th, 2012, 04:11 PM
If I were you I'd grow out my natural color first. Henna will be much more flattering on that tone than on your bleached blonde color as there's very much a risk of orange hair.

I agree with this.

spookyghost
May 19th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I also love the color red that you want-its gorgous. If you really want it then go for it but just be prepared for a long turn around if you dont like it. Henna, from what I hear, is so permanent. People on here have reversed it or lightened it but that alone would scare me to death!

Im a little like you! My natural color is ash blonde or dishwater blonde. I cant call it brown and I cant call it blonde! I have always had blonde highlights of some type in my hair. I have always felt that blonde just suits me better. But now, to even my surprise, I want to have my natural color back! I want to embrace the ash color:D Im 44 and I cant remember the last time I wore my natural color. But Im at the stage in my life where I just want healthy hair and my natural color. I do have some grey but I plan on finding a natural and subtle way to hide it. Cassia or tea rinses. I dont know-something. My problem now is I just got a bad color:mad: It looks strawberry blonde-not ash. I have been sick over it. But today I met with a hair colorist and she said she can fix it and she sounded so knowlegable that Im going to do it. Isnt life funny? I have spent the better part of my life covering up the ash and now that I want it I cant get it!:lol:

luxepiggy
May 19th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Proceed with caution. If your natural colour is ashy blonde, you most likely have cool undertones in your skin. Hennaed hair is usually quite warm-toned, and it might not be particularly flattering for your complexion. I would definitely suggest lots of strand testing and, if possible, trying on a wig in the colour you want. Hair colour that fights with your undertones can be really detrimental to the overall appearance of your skin.

TeaGarden
May 19th, 2012, 08:22 PM
luxepiggy
Actually, I have a warm peach undertone to my skin. And that's partially why I dislike my natural color so much. I love it on other people, but on me it doesn't look natural.

sharonluvscats
May 19th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Another dishwater blonde here. I have fair skin. I decided to go red after a bad breakup. The color was actually called Dark Auburn. It was regular dye not henna. I have no experience with henna. That being said, I LOVED the color but it would always fade on me. I got tired of it after a year. When I tried to get rid of the red, it would not go away. I dyed over it four times. Now I'm growing it out and embracing my not-quite-so-blonde hair. The bottom six inches of my hair still have a red tint to them. If you're not sure about going red I would suggest you not do it. It's such a pain in the butt color to get out once you have it.

nesser33
May 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I think, based on your skin tone, that you'd look great with red hair. And, it's true that henna is a lot less damaging than bleach or other hair dyes, so it will probably be better in the long run. Henna is hard to get out of hair, though (even with bleach) so make sure that you want to go red if you're going to be using henna.

TeaGarden
May 20th, 2012, 05:19 PM
sharonluvscats
I have had my hair dyed red many times in the past with conventional box color. It is truly a pain in the butt to get out and that's why I was so concerned going red in the first place.

nesser33
I know I want red hair, I'm just new to henna. Does the red fade into a murky brown like box dye sometimes does?

browneyedsusan
May 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
TeaGarden, I absolutely love henna. When I used boxed dyes, or spent big bucks for salon red, it faded horribly, and it didn't matter how much I babied the color, stretched shampoos, washed it in cold water, covered it up in the sun and wind; it was gone in 2 weeks. Henna has never faded, and it's fiery red in the sun.

Because your hair is so light, and henna is unpredictable--due to the variability of starting hair colors, strength of henna, how long it is left on...--I'd definately strand test first. (You might get bright orange!) Strand test, wait a week, and have a look! Check out Hennaforhair.com. They have a lot of information there.