PDA

View Full Version : my thickness is gone

Ellswyth
July 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Two years after I had my first son, my ponytail was 3.5 inches.
My second son (they are 2 1/2 apart) is now 2, yet my ponytail is now 2.9 inches.

I'm having a very hard time of it. Could it still be growing back? I'm rather hoping so..

Amberlee
July 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Oh, yes, I think it could still be growing back. Particularly if you nursed - gotta take that time into account too.

Ellswyth
July 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I've done child led weaning each time, and have been lactating 4 1/2 years straight now because of it.

I am pretty sure that's made it impossible for me to lose weight, hadn't thought that could be why my hair didn't recover.

NurseMama
July 29th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I get you here. I have been pregnant or lactating for the last 6 years. The shedded hair is supposed to regrow.. That is what my medical textbook says anyhow! Now, in reality I wonder if mamas see the thickness of the hair move down their tail as they stop lactating?

DeepRiver
July 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have breastfed all 3 of my children (ages 5, 3, and 6 months) and I am noticing this go-around that my hair is really shedding quite a bit more than I remember with my first 2 children. I don't know if that is because I am taking more notice of my hair or if it is because my body is going through the "postpartum shed". I also noticed my hair has thinned out considerably since having children...I'm chalking that up to the daily heart-attacks they give me (just joking) and my not-very-exceptional diet (seriously). I've noticed in the last week or so that the shed has started to slow down (thank goodness).

But I can definitely relate to your problem!!

plainjanegirl
July 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I know how you feel. I'm really hoping I start gaining some hair back soon. Even though people still tell me I have thick hair , but I can tell it's not nearly as thick as what it used to be. It makes me treat what I do have alot better than I used to.

CurlyOne
July 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I had a massive shedding episode last year due to stress from finals and trying CO. It still hasn't calmed down yet, it sucks, I totally understand.

sipnsun
July 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I think that having children and breastfeeding really take a toll on the body. If you are not taking a good daily multi-vitamin, maybe you should start. It could be you are lacking something you need.

FrannyG
July 30th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Don't forget that a lot of pregnancy shedding is from the top and front of your head, and it will take some time for those new hairs to grow down to nape level.

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit concerned at this time.

Also, having experienced the joys of having a 2 and 4 year old in the house at the same time, I happen to know that it's not the most conducive time for hair growth.

Your hair will be fine. :flowers:

beatricedivina
July 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I was just coming here to post about the same thing - my little girl is 15 months old (still nursing!) and the amount of hair I'm still shedding is incredible. We've had to get a new hair trap for the drain in our tub, and putting my hair in a ponytail is just depressing. It's so thin compared to how it used to be!
We're planning on another baby fairly soon, so I guess I'm just going to have to clean out the drain every day and deal with it.

Alethia
July 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I really sympathise! I had a ponytail circumference of 2" when I joined LHC in November last year. My son was 3 1/2 years old. I expressed for him (he was really ill) for 10 months. My ponytail has gone up to 3" now but I have mad taper on my braid and loads of wispies. I don't think I'll ever have really thick hair (never did) but it's certainly improved. Good luck!

Take tight braid pics every 6 months to chart your progress. It helps to keep you objective especially on bad hair days.

Altocumulus
July 30th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I get you here. I have been pregnant or lactating for the last 6 years. The shedded hair is supposed to regrow.. That is what my medical textbook says anyhow! Now, in reality I wonder if mamas see the thickness of the hair move down their tail as they stop lactating?

I did. It still hasn't caught up with the rest of my hair, but it's getting closer. We stopped nursing almost 3 years ago.

Jasmine19
July 31st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Add me in!!! I have quite thin hair right now and in some parts scanty too!!!

All suggestions to make it grow fast and give positive changes are welcome!!:D

easternsunrise
July 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hello, not posted here in a while. My hair when I first joined was at least 3 1/2 circum. now it is just 3. I am also concerned about my hair thinning. It has grown very long (29" now) but is now much thinner. It also seems much finer and dry. I have only trimmed it once in over 9 months. I'm thinking about getting at least 2 inches cut just to clean it up a bit. I have been on the birth control pill for almost 10 years and I think that could be part of it. My doctor also blames the pill for my decreased thyroid production-thus causing more hair loss. Planning on stopping the pill now and trying to get pregnant but hope my hair gets better. I feel your pain.:rolleyes:

jessie58
July 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
I shed massively after all 4 of my children and within a year or so, my hair got back to normal. I didn't nurse for long though. I also had a massive shed a few years ago and thought I would end up bald but after finding TLHC and massaging oils into my scalp, my hair thickened up and grew right back in again. Never fear, your hair will eventually return. You might also find some useful information in the link in blue in my siggy.

LongForLife
August 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hmmm, this seems interesting to me. I have always read in books, that your hair thickness and growth increase while pregnant, mostly due to the hormones. So the hair loss after birth is basically the added hair from the pregnancy. If you breastfeed, then that major shed does not happen until you stop nursing, or a decrease in amount of nursing.
I have 3 kids, with the oldest turning 4 soon. I am currently nursing the youngest who is 8 months old. I notice an increase in thickness and amount of my hair during each pregnancy. Then after the nursing slows even slightly, I start shedding my hair, which seems to last for a good 8 months. Then the shedding pretty much stops and goes back to normal. My current hair, after shedding massive seeming amounts for over 6 months, is still over 6" thick!! So in my case, I am only obviously losing the "extra" hair that I gained.

I have read that the hormones can make some women actually have duller or lifeless hair. So this could be a possibility for some of you. Maybe some who feel it may be thinner, could just have duller lifeless hair, compared to what they are used to.
I honestly think this could be majorly combated by taking a GOOD vitamin supplement. I have my babies at home, and take excellent care of myself with vitamins and good herbal supplements while pregnant and breastfeeding. Otherwise there is bound to be vitamin and mineral depletion, as the baby takes what it needs almost before the mother. So if you do not have enough vitamin and mineral intake, you will start to notice it in noticeable areas such as hair, skin and nails. By this time, you are heavily depleted. So my recommendation to help with the "thinner" hair, is to take a good supplement. This should really help. And NOT the supplements from Wal-Mart which contain Propylene Glycol, (which harms childrens eyes, including thru breastfeeding... plus its other harmful effects) among other harmful products. There are many good places on the internet or in natural food/health stores to find the better quality ones. They have done wonders for me, even through 3 babies in 4 years. :)

sapphire-o
August 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM
Try to boost your nutrition and see if it helps. This is what I'm trying to do right now. I've lost some weight due to illness and my shedding tripled since then. :( When your body is tired and depleted it can't care about growing more hair.